All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

No clauses is a pretty big game-changer, since you could bring multiples of a Pokemon if you wanted to, though that probably isn't the case given TM restrictions. You can drop Stun Spore for Mega Drain on Egg if you're expecting him to bring Grav again, as sleep is generally the better status and you have other ways of paralyzing things.

If Lax can learn Body Slam still, then use that over DE in any of my suggestions. BS / Surf / HBeam / Counter is kinda nifty for an offensive set; too bad no EQ, but hopefully your opponent doesn't pack Haunter.

Grav's best bet for last slot is probably Sub. You won't really be using that last move much most likely, but at least that could have some utility.

Hypno gets a bit more interesting without sleep clause, especially with how Psychic-weak your opponent's team was last time. It could go over Lapras or Grav if you want to abuse sleep a bit more. Set would probably be Psychic / Hypnosis / Counter / Rest, since you don't have TWave as a TM anymore. This could also function as a lead, or even replace Kadabra, but there's no harm in running 3 Psychic-types either way. It's just another potentially good Pokemon to consider for this situation, but I think what you have above (with those set tweaks) should be solid regardless.
So you definitely think I should drop Vic for Lax? Like I said, this is my first venture into competitive play, but I'm not sure I like giving up a sleep powder and my only grass type attack. Is a Lax with that offensive moveset really that much more useful than my Vic?

Psychic
Recover
Thunder Wave
Seismic Toss

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Explosion
Substitute

Ice Beam
Thunder
Body Slam
Confuse Ray

Blizzard
Earthquake
Body Slam
Hyper Beam

Psychic
Explosion
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore

Razor Leaf
Swords Dance
Sleep Powder
Hyper Beam

OR

Body Slam
Surf
Rest / Hyper Beam
Amnesia / Counter / Reflect

From here, I guess I just need to better understand the strategy of the game. When to switch, when to explode, what it's important to sleep vs. paralyze, who to bring in depending on the situation... Any more advice or suggested reading would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
So, I actually had a quick question regarding Durant.
According to my reading and understanding, Hustle has a 20% drop to your accuracy, but hone claws (+1) Increases it by 33%
If this is true, then wouldn't Stone Edge be a better choice over Rock Slide since if those numbers are accurate (80-20+33=97) Stone edge would have reliable accuracy and more power?
All the Durant sets I saw suggested Rock Slide over Stone Edge so I thought I'd ask and confirm.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So, I actually had a quick question regarding Durant.
According to my reading and understanding, Hustle has a 20% drop to your accuracy, but hone claws (+1) Increases it by 33%
If this is true, then wouldn't Stone Edge be a better choice over Rock Slide since if those numbers are accurate (80-20+33=97) Stone edge would have reliable accuracy and more power?
All the Durant sets I saw suggested Rock Slide over Stone Edge so I thought I'd ask and confirm.
Unfortunately that's not quite how accuracy boosting works. What happens is that Hustle changes Stone Edge to a 64% acc move (80% acc * .8 hustle [20% drop] = 64% acc) and then Hone Claws boosts it up to a 85% acc move (64% acc * 1.33 = 85.12% acc). I can't speak to the sets themselves, although I believe that Hone Claws normally doesn't have room for Stone Edge and non-boosting sets don't really want to deal with the even more horrendous accuracy.

Unfortunately that's not quite how accuracy boosting works. What happens is that Hustle changes Stone Edge to a 64% acc move (80% acc * .8 hustle [20% drop] = 64% acc) and then Hone Claws boosts it up to a 85% acc move (64% acc * 1.33 = 85.12% acc). I can't speak to the sets themselves, although I believe that Hone Claws normally doesn't have room for Stone Edge and non-boosting sets don't really want to deal with the even more horrendous accuracy.
Rock nails fire types on the switch or Durant tends to outspeed, but I can see the point. Aw, so the mechanic is an actual multiplier, got it. 85% is at least better than starting but... If you have to drop a rock move on a predicted switch because outspeeds/scarfers I can see the issue.
Thanks for the insight Merritt!

Quick note: Forgot that you could tutor superpower on for nailing steel types, definitely a good reason why few run rock type moves!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-358906662

Turn 40 onwards I don't think is quite right.

My Slowpoke gets paralysed by an already paralysed Abra. I then boost with Amnesia to outspeed, then Rest. Abra paralyses it on the turn it wakes and then Slowpoke is slower. To my knowledge that shouldn't be the case- I always was of the understanding that para speed drops cannot be stacked except by the glitch Crystal discovered, and that speed is not reset when resting. Have I forgotten/overlooked something? Because if not, it would seem there's a bug afoot

I don't seem to understand how Amnesia helps you outspeed?

What I do know is that resting removes the status but keeps the speed drop, so getting para'd, then resting, then waking up will clear the para status but still rock the quartered speed. Not sure if that speed can then be quartered again by another para, so a researcher will probably answer that better than I can.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
ortheore is correct, thunder wave reapplying shouldn't cause a second applying of the speed drop

I don't seem to understand how Amnesia helps you outspeed?
That's one of the big glitches Crystal discovered last year or whenever it was. Whenever I boost a stat (e.g. Amnesia) or lower the opponent's stat (such as by Psychic spc drop) and the opponent is paralysed, the speed drop from paralysis is reapplied to the opponent. So if a mon has 64 speed normally, it would have 16 speed when paralysed and then 4 speed after the glitch gets triggered.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Good partners for Specs Gothitelle in BW2 OU? I'm thinking a sweeper like Lucario that could benefit from stuff like Skarmory and Jellicent being gone and also can soft check Dark-types for Goth.

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
[23:13] x: hey, im playing for rby cup and i want to have your expertise about an eventual bug if possible
[23:13] &Isa: go on
[23:13] x: lemme puush you the last few turns
[23:14] x: http://puu.sh/oCPwr/c13c1bfb9d.txt
[23:14] x: so
[23:14] &Isa: hmm
[23:14] x: he bslammed my lax
[23:14] &Isa: yeah i see
[23:14] &Isa: i'm not sure if that's a bug or not, it depends on how the game handles immunities
[23:14] &Isa: basically
[23:15] &Isa: does hitting a ghost type with a normal move set the damage address to 0 or leave it unchanged?
[23:15] &Isa: i could see it being either way

not a simple question but shrug. Crystal_ pls help

What is this phenomenom called where you're running a Serene Grace Flinchhax Rachi (disregard my sig...) and you cant get a Para with a body slam but over 3 games youre paralyzed by 2 thunderbolts and a non serene grace body slam? Is it karma for using something i despise?

What is this phenomenom called where you're running a Serene Grace Flinchhax Rachi (disregard my sig...) and you cant get a Para with a body slam but over 3 games youre paralyzed by 2 thunderbolts and a non serene grace body slam? Is it karma for using something i despise?
No, it is bad luck.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
In Gen 5 RU, could U-Turn be used over Baton Pass on the last slot of the bulky SD Scyther set? While it can't pass boosts to it's teammates, it provides good neutral coverage and lets Scyther chip away at it's checks by switching out into a teammate that can handle these threats. (Also hits stuff like Kabutops for good neutral damage)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
In Gen 5 RU, could U-Turn be used over Baton Pass on the last slot of the bulky SD Scyther set? While it can't pass boosts to it's teammates, it provides good neutral coverage and lets Scyther chip away at it's checks by switching out into a teammate that can handle these threats. (Also hits stuff like Kabutops for good neutral damage)
Absolutely, in fact I would actually probably recommend it at this point to counteract all the bulkier builds you'll see these days, the chip damage would be far more useful for breaking down Alomomola than just straight passing to a teammate. The only reason that U-turn isn't listed is because bulky SD Scyther was molded to be a standalone sweeper or pure supporter depending on the team, and U-turning only exposed it to Stealth Rock again and completely losing its boosts instead of keeping it by passing to a teammate.

HereToHelpRBY

Banned deucer.
when in ADV if you KO something and die of the recoil and that ends the game then does the cart handle it so that it's a draw or does the player who made the KO before dieing of recoil win?

Isa

not very

i used it in spl 6 twice, it won me the game once and not having either twave or a defense boosting move sucked and "meant" i lost the other game. i don't recommend it though, it's easier to wear down exeggutor with other pokemon and slowbro dittos are very rare, as with the "new" mechanics in play twave slowbro is almost mandatory as paralysis is now more difficult to spread.

Tough question, no one really thinks too much about those types of pokemon

I'm just gonna throw Unown, Ditto, Shuckle, Ledian, Farfetch'd and Yanma out there, but there are probably other candidates

Unown, Ditto, Wobbuffet, Yanma and Togetic for sure.

The sixth is any of Aipom (Agility/Baton Pass, Thief), Magcargo (Normal Resist), Delibird (Spikes, Thief), Noctowl (Hypnosis, Thief), Butterfree (Sleep Powder/Stun Spore) and maybe Farfetch'd (Swords Dance/Agility/Baton Pass) or Beedrill (Swords Dance/Agility). Not quite sure about Corsola (Normal Resist with Recover), Azumarill (Perish Song/Whirlpool, Belly Drum) and Furret (Curse/Amnesia). The only reason Sneasel isn't in there as well is its unique quality of completely walling Mr. Mime.

Shuckle actually has a small niche even in UU, remember Jira's Curse/Defense Curl/Rollout Shuckle that won him a tourney: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/derdomme-cup-ii-finals-won-by-jira.3520448/page-2#post-5839139

Ledian probably isn't even THAT horrible due to its access to Agility/Barrier/Baton Pass/Light Screen. It narrowly survives Pikachu's Thunderbolt as well.

Question 1: what can I do to legally promote a separation of Ruins of Alph into subforums for each Gen? I feel that we could get new players into old gens if the resources have some order...

Question 2: what can I do to impulse the idea of making Usage based tiers for older gens (basically RBY - GSC - ADV)? I would love to get a distribution like OU-UU-RU-NU-PU for every gen! :3 I think that would be really fun!

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's my opinion that can hopefully answer your questions. In a perfect world, doing what you said on question one would be nice since it would be a bit more organized however RoA is not the most active section on the site. Separating RoA into separate subgroups would divide the number of people visiting every gen even more. Imo I do think the current system with tagging a thread according to what gen it's talking about works fine since its color coded and easy to identify. Also as far as resources go for new members, they are organized pretty nicely in the past gen resource archive and its kept fairly updated.

As for the second question, its tough to do due to the limited number of people playing on the old gen ladder but like we saw with the re-release of rby, it gives the ladder the jump in activity it needs to be worth collecting usage data although since its most likely short lived, it could only be used as a reference. I'd like to see activity for different old gen tiers as well but I think your best bet is to wait for a re-release and work from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)