[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

The banning and such for disconnecting is a bit excessive imo especially if they already enforce losses to those that disconnect. That's punishment enough, I myself got worried about being banned due to multiple disconnects that happened to me due to my Wi-Fi in past competitions where I'd be doing fairly well until said disconnects, a worse record is bad enough, I shouldn't have to worry about being removed from the ladder or banned as well.

Anyways I don't want to stray from the main purpose of this thread, I actually wanted to ask what are some of the common sets seem thus far for Lanturn? I've been using a modest set that's been teetering between good and bad.
Agreed, but like I said, it has gotten pretty bad on the special latter (mainly because the format is so frustrating), so I guess I can see were they're coming from somewhat. It is a bit much to essentially put in on the same level as hacking with a full ban from online features, but oh well.

They did end up letting me sign up for the classic though, so I assume all is well.

As far as Lanturn, I'm liking the RU set as a counter to the electric types in this meta game, but I've only tested it for like 3 battles, so I can't speak on how it would play long term.

I'm also looking at a physically defensive set with an assault vest, but I haven't had a chance to see how it plays.

Agreed, but like I said, it has gotten pretty bad on the special latter (mainly because the format is so frustrating), so I guess I can see were they're coming from somewhat. It is a bit much to essentially put in on the same level as hacking with a full ban from online features, but oh well.

They did end up letting me sign up for the classic though, so I assume all is well.

As far as Lanturn, I'm liking the RU set as a counter to the electric types in this meta game, but I've only tested it for like 3 battles, so I can't speak on how it would play long term.

I'm also looking at a physically defensive set with an assault vest, but I haven't had a chance to see how it plays.
Same here with the physical defensive set but I just can't bring myself to do it because I need my machamp to run assault vest, it's pretty frustrating because I believe there is a ton of potential with lanturn and said set but at the cost of machamps full potential in this competition which I just can't afford to lose. Though I'll try to test this set on showdown anyways sometime this week unless someone else can sooner. Lanturn covers a lot more than expected when adding in Hidden Power coverage such as fire, it's worth trying out.

Same here with the physical defensive set but I just can't bring myself to do it because I need my machamp to run assault vest, it's pretty frustrating because I believe there is a ton of potential with lanturn and said set but at the cost of machamps full potential in this competition which I just can't afford to lose. Though I'll try to test this set on showdown anyways sometime this week unless someone else can sooner. Lanturn covers a lot more than expected when adding in Hidden Power coverage such as fire, it's worth trying out.
I'll probably slap it on my full Johto team this weekend.

If you can't use assault vest on it, I suppose you could just EV it as a mixed tank since it already has a great HP stat. It's uninvested SP attack is on the weak side though, so be aware of that going in.

Last edited:
UGH, I've been trying to breed an HP Fire Bulbasaur with Chlorophyll for this but no such luck; RNGesus has forsaken me. Sorry - just needed to vent a bit.

Speaking of, how viable is Venasaur in this? He's appealing as a straight up Azu counter and anti-Spore Smeargle (cancer) but, is it worth a slot on the team?

UGH, I've been trying to breed an HP Fire Bulbasaur with Chlorophyll for this but no such luck; RNGesus has forsaken me. Sorry - just needed to vent a bit.

Speaking of, how viable is Venasaur in this? He's appealing as a straight up Azu counter and anti-Spore Smeargle (cancer) but, is it worth a slot on the team?
I've been doing the exact same thing, all freakin week. I got one HP fire bulb but the ability was overgrown..it's too tedious but I have to keep trying. Venusaur is very viable, I actually have been having more success with a modest set than subseed but overall I'm not entirely sure what set has had more success for the majority. Sleep powder switch predictions really changes everything with that HP fire coverage, I'd dare say next to my dragonite venusaur is the most valuable member on my team on showdown.

I've been doing the exact same thing, all freakin week. I got one HP fire bulb but the ability was overgrown..it's too tedious but I have to keep trying. Venusaur is very viable, I actually have been having more success with a modest set than subseed but overall I'm not entirely sure what set has had more success for the majority. Sleep powder switch predictions really changes everything with that HP fire coverage, I'd dare say next to my dragonite venusaur is the most valuable member on my team on showdown.
I feel the same way; I've been running a Modest set and I've been very happy with the results on Showdown. Only times it hasn't worked out is when I mispredict something or Sleep Powder misses ><....

But holy hell is getting HP Fire with Chlorophyl a pain in the ass to get. I must have released two whole boxes of rejects by now, ugh. I think my problem is that I don't have a parent with the exact HP Fire IVs.

I feel the same way; I've been running a Modest set and I've been very happy with the results on Showdown. Only times it hasn't worked out is when I mispredict something or Sleep Powder misses ><....

But holy hell is getting HP Fire with Chlorophyl a pain in the ass to get. I must have released two whole boxes of rejects by now, ugh. I think my problem is that I don't have a parent with the exact HP Fire IVs.
Well get a Ditto with the HP fire IVs from the Wi-Fi section. You could even ask if someone has a Bulbasaur to give.

It's not a struggle but it will be without good parents as fodder.

Are you guys running sun teams in this meta?

I've been considering a Houndoom-Venusaur core with a physical attacker mixed in. The coverage/mind games with Houndoom and Venusaur seems really good with the two of them covering one anothers weaknesses pretty great (except for ground). Admittedly it is a bit forced as Houndoom is my favorite mon but I kinda like it.

Dragonite @ Expert Belt
Ability: Multiscale
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Extreme Speed

Yup. You're seein' some anti-meta shit right here. No Dragon STAB Dragonite. Yup. I'm a lunatic.

I love this huggable Dragon and what I made it capable of doing. A lot of Dragonite in this metagame are the DD variants. Well, not today. These two coverage moves in Fire Punch and Thunder Punch ensure I don't lose momentum vs Scizor and Azumarill, OHKOing Scizor outright and 2HKOing Azu. Having Earthquake and Extreme Speed means I also don't lose momentum vs Raikou when it comes in to HP Ice me while also having a move that dents Tyranitar and other Rock types. note: i stole this from his rmt, check it out
Vengeance does it again

Are you guys running sun teams in this meta?

I've been considering a Houndoom-Venusaur core with a physical attacker mixed in. The coverage/mind games with Houndoom and Venusaur seems really good with the two of them covering one anothers weaknesses pretty great (except for ground). Admittedly it is a bit forced as Houndoom is my favorite mon but I kinda like it.
Houndoom is awesome; but I've been a Ninteales fan ever since day one and especially since she got Drought. Despite that, I've definitely been looking at giving Houndoom a go, since he gets Sucker Punch which can net a few choice KOs. However, the lack of Drought means a slot needs to be used up for Sunny Day, which he may not get to pull off without being Sashed.

I've killed a lot of things with a subseed venusaur even without sun support. I think its really viable.

Houndoom is awesome; but I've been a Ninteales fan ever since day one and especially since she got Drought. Despite that, I've definitely been looking at giving Houndoom a go, since he gets Sucker Punch which can net a few choice KOs. However, the lack of Drought means a slot needs to be used up for Sunny Day, which he may not get to pull off without being Sashed.
I have been playing around with Venusaur as a sun-setter with sets something like this (tempting to maybe do heat rock on Venusaur but the passive recovery is nice). Its probably not any good but its the only way I've found to get Houndoom on a team. Switch Venusaur for Houndoom on any Fire or Psychic move for the immunity/free switch. No idea for a third member here at all though

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Counter

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sunny Day

I'm thinking about running Kangaskhan/Azumarill/Defensive Venusaur/Piloswine/Filler/Filler. Biggest problem is deciding the last two members (Something like Entei to complete the FWG core maybe?) and I'm also doubting about which set for Azumarill is the best, Belly Drum or Choice Band. IDK if someone knows about a good Pokémon that goes well with the ones decided or if there's Showdown stats available somewhere (that'd be nice so I don't have to bother people lol).

If you are still having trouble, I have a Hp fire Ha Venusaur that I can give you. It is Bold however.

I have been playing around with Venusaur as a sun-setter with sets something like this (tempting to maybe do heat rock on Venusaur but the passive recovery is nice). Its probably not any good but its the only way I've found to get Houndoom on a team. Switch Venusaur for Houndoom on any Fire or Psychic move for the immunity/free switch. No idea for a third member here at all though

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Counter

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sunny Day
This definitely seems interesting. What I'm wondering tho is why so little HP on Venu and lots of SpD. Her HP is lower than her SpD by quite a bit, so I'm pretty sure max HP instead would be best.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We had a problem with this with a few of the last online competitions; this thread is not for posting your team and asking for help, we have the teambuilding help thread for that, and the RMT forum for finished teams. This thread is for metagame discussion, which we can't do if everyone is posting teams and asking for help. You can also log onto our chatroom on Pokemon Showdown, or even the RMT room, if you want help in real time. I've already moved and deleted a few posts from here :(

I have one for you. It really isnt that hard as soon as u have 30 speed and satt :)

So how are people dealing with the core of Azumarill, Dragonite, and Scizor? I feel like these three will be on almost every team together. I've been using physically defensive Zapdos with hp ice.

Update: I'm liking this thing a lot more than I thought. It stops rain teams dead cold.

It's not going to tank too many earthquakes, even at max defense, but it's still pretty solid. I'm going to try the mixed wall set next which gives you a lot more options since you're not limited from status moves with the assault vest.

Also, has anyone found a reliable way to beat these annoying Smeargle baton pass chains? They seem to be all over the place now (with high rankings might I add). Taunt seems like the obvious option, but they can easily just switch into Espeon.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also, has anyone found a reliable way to beat these annoying Smeargle baton pass chains? They seem to be all over the place now (with high rankings might I add). Taunt seems like the obvious option, but they can easily just switch into Espeon.
Just theorymonning here, but Taunt Umbreon might be able to do the trick. Taunt's pretty unexpected coming from Umbreon, and even if they do catch you on the switch, you can just smack the Espeon with Payback or whatever. I'm pretty sure that Umbreon can tank +2 Dazzling Gleam with enough investment (or a Roseli Berry if you're willing to take it that far).

I must admit..almost everything A tier and up I can handle, however for the life of me I have no consistent answer for that stall toxic Entei. That thing gets me in such tough predicaments late game, it's hard to draw it out early and dispatch of it. I even convinced myself to add Crobat to my team in hopes of doing something when Entei hides behind sub but that doesn't always work out due to that 50% chance of burn from Sacred Fire, any tips? I haven't seen many people bring it up so I could very well be the only noob who's walled by this fiery bastard.

I must admit..almost everything A tier and up I can handle, however for the life of me I have no consistent answer for that stall toxic Entei. That thing gets me in such tough predicaments late game, it's hard to draw it out early and dispatch of it. I even convinced myself to add Crobat to my team in hopes of doing something when Entei hides behind sub but that doesn't always work out due to that 50% chance of burn from Sacred Fire, any tips? I haven't seen many people bring it up so I could very well be the only noob who's walled by this fiery bastard.
My strategy for this would be to just attack it. I'd try with Azumarill, set up BD, and Aqua Jet it. Kill it with water, not fire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)