Game of Thrones [thronies rejoice! XD]

Roose, Walda, Osha... A lot of main characters being fed to give Ramsay a boost as the main villain. Damn, he's on a roll! Does that mean he's getting his comeuppance soon?

that was the best ep since the ending of s4, easily

sansa, my love........................

hype!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: I must reiterate just how much of a joy that was to watch because god Damn

Last edited:

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
speaking of joy.. i'm kinda sad we didn't get to continue the tower of joy flashback this ep. i'm guessing that in one of the last couple eps, or maybe the last, they'll continue the flashback and we'll get to see if jon truly is a targaryen, which i think is pretty likely

"I always felt like Gandalf should have stayed dead. That was such an incredible sequence in Fellowship of the Ring when he faces the Balrog on the Khazad-dûm and he falls into the gulf, and his last words are, “Fly, you fools.”
What power that had, how that grabbed me. And then he comes back as Gandalf the White, and if anything he's sort of improved. I never liked Gandalf the White as much as Gandalf the Grey, and I never liked him coming back. I think it would have been an even stronger story if Tolkien had left him dead." - GRRM

Proceeds to revive Jon after he was justifiably (in the eyes of the members of the watch) killed. Him reviving wasn't unpredictable by any means, but he came back without a single negative side effect, which was kinda what people were expecting after reading about Lady Stoneheart. Gandalf coming wasn't an unimportant cliffhanger, unlike Jon reviving (we found out the lord of light cares about him, which book readers already knew ["I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow."]).

"The battle between Good and Evil is a theme of much of fantasy. But I think the battle between Good and Evil is fought largely within the individual human heart, by the decisions that we make. It’s not like evil dresses up in black clothing and you know, they’re really ugly. These are some of the things that Tolkien did; he made them work fabulously, but in the hands of his imitators, they become total clichés. I mean the orc-like creatures who always do dress in black and... they’re really ugly and they’ve got facial deformities or something. You can tell that if somebody’s ugly, he must be evil. And then Tolkien’s heroes are all very attractive people and all that, of course, again this became cliché in the hands of the Tolkien imitators." - GRRM

White Walkers are literally evil creatures created to exterminate humans, dressed in black, ugly and with facial "deformities". All the "White Walkers motivations are misunderstood. GRRM is just baiting us" theories died tonight.

So much for pretending ASOIAF isn't another fantasy series filled with cliches. Evil dudes are clearly evil and their only motivation is being evil. The real protagonists, Jon, Dany and Tyrion, are quite literally unkillable at this point and absolutely everything seems to go their way sooner or later; Arya and Bran are probably going to get to that point eventually. Silly time traveling paradox crap; I really didn't want the "Bran fucking up Hodor in the past" theory to be true, because that reveal only means that Bran's arc only has one way to go: He'll do more paradoxy bullshit at some point, that probably help against the white walkers and will setup the start of this story somehow (~~unexpected twist~~ that even fucking Harry Potter pulled in a book with 300 pages).

The books are relatively entertaining (they have some incredible moments and they are mostly fun to read, but tons of filler boring bullshit at times) and seeing things from non-main characters POV is rather unique (and was an excellent way to trick people into thinking the real heroes of the books can die). However GRRM's writing skills aren't half as good as people say they are; he made some fun books, but he's not the second coming of jesus.

It's either that or the showrunners are doing whatever the fuck they want and changing extremely important plot points, completely incomparable with Dorne in terms of importance (they are conspiring against the Lannisters, just like in the books), for no reason, which sounds unlikely.

Anyway...

King's Landing shit is completely irrelevant at this point. In one side you have Ice necromancers and a zombie army that gets bigger with every battle. In the other you have a massive army, that will get even bigger with the iron born reinforcements, and Dragons that can singlehandedly destroy enemy's armies and castles. King's Landing is destroying itself in the middle and there's a zombie mountain (which is literally nothing compared with what the other sides have); exactly why should we care about this? This series is going to end with White Walkers vs Dragons (~~unexpected~~)

Arya's arc has been consistently boring for two books and two seasons. We are currently 5 episodes in and she has done nothing; you could summarize her whole thing in less than 20 words: Still training. No longer blind. Was asked to kill a filler character nobody gives a shit about.

As much as I disliked the time paradox garbage, Hodor's scene was heartbreaking. Bran made him retarded and ruined his entire life, used him as a bipedal horse / slave, got inside his head a lil bit more, and then sacrificed him to escape and left him dying alone. Also pls stop killing dogs.

Everything else was relatively cool. Dany's story didn't go anywhere this episode, but at least she has done something this season. Not sure why Sansa rejected the help from the Vale tho. She can tell Littlefinger to fuck off / kill him / capture him and still get help from the extremely manipulable Robin and the army that went there just to help her.

I have a feeling Sam is going to do fucking nothing next episode and my dislike for his arc will grow. Nowhere near oldtown or any relevant place. His dad isn't even with the Tyrells, so I'm not sure why they are introducing him.

This season is x100 better than season 5, but I'm not really happy with how the ending is shaping up to be because I expected something different; sadly I can't blame the showrunners for this. On the bright side my hype for TWOW has drastically decreased.

Man that was brutal. I'm glad they spared us the death of HOlDthedoOR. Couple of points:

*Prolly that was the last of CotF
*Night King has magical powers
*Bran fucked the past more the once. "Burn them all" doesn't sound so mad after all given the right context
* Danny has aquired ships! Thanks Theon
* Given the prophecies of Cersei and Danny dream sequence, Cersei fucks up everything and becomes a childless queen and then Night King fucks up Westeros right up to Iron throne, Danny presumbly shows up then

Last edited:
1. Wow, the Ironborn are easily swayed, right? Straight from chanting 'Yara!' to 'Euron!'. I honestly think it would've been kinda cool if all the Ironborn were in on tricking Euron by drowning him for killing Balon, and since I have no idea about GoT lore / their crowning ritual, I genuinely thought that was what had happened (which made me really excited). I gladly await what could be a hella sweet sea battle between Euron's fleet and Yara's fleet.

2. Hodor's death should've been heartbreaking but was fucking ruined for me by this guy on my facebook who posted 'RIP Hodor :(' yesterday without considering that most people don't watch leaks. When I confronted him about it he just pulled the 'free speech' card and also said that I should've watched the leaked version if I didn't want to be spoiled, which is dumb as fuck anyways but oh well. I really liked the way he exited, but I need to voice a lil concern:

Can we not have Bran control the history of GoT? Sure, affecting Hodor is ok and tragic, but there's a valid theory that he's the person who triggered the Mad King to yell 'burn them all' after showing him a vision of the whitewalkers. That's so... cheap. I would much prefer it if he just went mad due to his Targaryen blood rather than some otherworldly force of Bran. Also, Bran being 'Brandon the Builder' that manufactured the wall? Please no. I really don't want time travel and bootstrap paradoxes to become a big thing in GoT. This is just my personal preference though.

3. Arya's scene was godawful imo - more stick combat, because we really needed to see that for the umpteenth time, and then a really dull play that was meant to be played for comical effect but just dragged on way too long. Her plot has been stagnating and I just want it to resolve at some point.

4. I fully expect Jorah to not find the cure, and I'll be disappointed if he does. He has no plot armour, his character is becoming more and more one-dimensional, it has potential for a tragic death, and it's something GRR Martin would do.

Overall, aside from its final few moments, an underwhelming episode but one that continues to set up what will surely be a fantastic final half to an already superb season.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Nice little homage to Lord of the Rings in the first zombie army scene. There's a long-haired skull guy with a second skull tied to the top of his head.

Also... not the time travel! It's the one thing I had really hoped the series would stay away from. Well, that and aliens, but time travel was definitely near the top of the "please don't" list. Slightly further down that list is "untranslatable puns". The Norwegian subtitle writers had no problem going from "Hold døren" to "Hodor" (via "Holdør"), but I can see it be a lot harder in other languages. Some translators of the series must have broken down in tears over that scene. In French, for instance, "hold the door" is "tenir la porte". Good luck turning that into "Hodor".

Littlefinger is taking his jet horse (or his TelePetyr?) for another magical voyage. Going from the Vale to Mole's Town is a cool five thousand kilometres. When he turns up and says "the knights of the Vale are camping at Moat Cailin", they're further away than Helsinki is from Casablanca. It's a small world, after all.

Despite my woes, though, I really liked this episode, and the season so far. Intrigued to see where it goes next.

Last edited:
It's not the kind of time travel where you can actually change events oml
Doesn't make it any better, because it leads the story into "everything happened because Bran did X". Maybe Bran was what people call the lord of light and started that religion to fight the white walkers, maybe he was the one who convinced Rhaegar of the prince that was promised prophecy in his "dragon dreams (which ended up with him marrying Lyanna, the rebellion and the entire story told in the books), maybe he was the one who convinced the watch members to kill Jon to get him revived and full the previously mentioned prophecy, etc. He might not be able to change the past, which makes the time traveling powers a garbage way of explaining past events, but the whole story is based around his actions anyway.

If he can actually change the future, which is a possibility now because random time traveling bullshit that makes no sense, every single thing that has happened so far is unimportant. Bran could just reset everything at the end.

The other option is completely ignoring this massive plot device and only using it to fuck around with Hodor. That's shit storytelling.

This is pretty much the only "realistic" theory I didn't want to be true. Time traveling is always a mess, unless your entire premise is based around that (like 12 monkeys) or you don't take it very seriously (like Looper ["time traveling is confusing so I'm not explaining shit"]). I'm sure some people don't mind it, which is fine, but I do!

1. Bit of a filler episode, not that that's a bad thing if it helps the rest of the season be the best it can be. Still, the episode spent wayy too long on Sam's plot that I really don't care about - I guess it's to show Heartsbane or whatever the Valyrian sword is called but I wasn't interested in that plot thread whatsoever. It doesn't help that Hannah Murray as Gilly is horrific.

2. I absolutely loved how anticlimatic the Kings Landing showdown this week was. We all expect a big fight but nope, the High Sparrow is too smart for that. I feel like once a showdown finally comes, High Sparrow will wriggle his way out of it once again. Mace Tyrell is an absolute bab and his speech was adorable. I def think Margaery has something planned - no way is she converting, that'll just trash her characterisation built in the last few seasons.

3. Yet again another 'look how impressive Dany is being' ending, and for once it didn't give me goosebumps but instead tedium. I feel like if the episode wanted to end on an awesome note, then Arya's plotline this week woulda been a better choice.

4. Speaking of Arya, yesss her plot's gonna stop stagnating soon! She's gonna kill the Waif and be done with it. 'A girl must die', sure, but Jacquen never specified which girl.

5. Edmure Tully is back! Luv him, he's such a loveable buffoon. Benjen is also back as Coldhands but I didn't really know enough about him in Season 1 to care that much. Regarding that plot thread, how great were Bran's visions? Jaime on the throne looked menacing as fuck. And speaking of, the wildfire was shown to go off Kings Landing, so maybe that's a reference to what's gonna happen in the future rather than the past?

Not a noteworthy episode by any stretch of the imagination, but it's made me unable to wait for the rest of the season.

Hey what do you guys think of these questions:

1. Is Daenerys Targaryen going mad?

I feel that the way she remorselessly BBQd an innocent man (there was no evidence that he was tied with the Sons of Harpy) for her dragons showcases a deterioration of her moral values. Furthermore, insanity is in her family's bloodline (due to incest), as evident by her father and brother. Thus, while I feel that she is still sane, her recent actions are concerning in that they mirror the cruelty of her insane father.

2. Why did Sandor Clegane (the hound) go out of his way to protect Sansa from being raped in the cowpie riot scene? And by extension, why does he seem eager to protect Arya Stark (and Sansa)? Is he deep down a compassionate man in an uncompassionate world?

I feel that both Sansa and Arya (especially Sansa) represent everything that the hound is not -- innocence, naivety and purity. Due to the hound's terrible childhood, I feel that he attains some sort of inner peace being around both Sansa and Arya; perhaps these individuals remind the hound that in this terrible world, purity and innocence is still present.

3. Is Jaime Lannister good or evil?

Man this guy is a complicated character. On one hand, he pushed Bran (an innocent child) out a window out of hope to kill him. In addition, he has a penchant to kill anyone who opposes him without any hesitation or remorse. In contrast, he saves Brienne of Tarth from being both raped and murdered, as well as displaying love to his younger brother Tyrion. I feel that he is, at heart, a noble character, but is forced to act against his moral compass in the name of his family and reputation.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I did enjoy the episode but I honestly can't stand Daenerys. Considering the fact that she's definitely going to have a big role in future events, her lack of charisma is disheartening, especially considering how hard they seem to try to make us love her. Not sure if this is due to poor writing or Clarke's acting, but everything she says just sounds uninspiring or plain dumb to me.

Also yay, back to invading Westeros with a horde of savages whose only known way of life is based on killing, pillaging and raping, who apparently have never even cultivated anything, and whose only example of economy is a market in Vaes Dothrak (?). I thought we were done with this shit idea after Drogo's death.

Yeah khaleesi, your new subjects in the seven kingdoms will love you for that.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I hope they go the "realistic" route with the Dothraki if they decide to invade Westeros. Total lack of any chain of command making the crossing of the Narrow Sea a complete nightmare (and the logistics are hopelessly complicated as it stands already), half the ships deserting due to seasickness, horse archery tactics failing spectacularly in the rugged and swampy terrain of the Westerosi east coast, and Dothraki being massacred in battle because they are too proud/stupid to wear armour. A horse archer can't put nearly as much force into his bow as a foot archer can, so they'd be outranged by Westerosi longbowmen (at which point armour protection is critical - the Westerosi have it, the Dothraki do not). And the Dothraki have no way to even scratch a castle wall. They may be savage in battle, but the way they are described in the books, they're literally millennia behind the technology level attributed to Westeros. At least the show appears to have given them spears; in the books they only use whips, bows and curved swords and thus have no way to penetrate armour.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
3. Is Jaime Lannister good or evil?

Man this guy is a complicated character. On one hand, he pushed Bran (an innocent child) out a window out of hope to kill him. In addition, he has a penchant to kill anyone who opposes him without any hesitation or remorse. In contrast, he saves Brienne of Tarth from being both raped and murdered, as well as displaying love to his younger brother Tyrion. I feel that he is, at heart, a noble character, but is forced to act against his moral compass in the name of his family and reputation.
I think Jaimie's moral compass has always been correct (besides the whole incest shenanigans, of course), and there's enough evidence to prove that he's always been a good guy, especially if his side of the Sack of King's Landing is to be believed (he also embarked on a secret mission to hunt down and kill two other Pyromancers involved in Aerys's plan post-Kingslaying). You can see he's genuine by the way he treats otherwise scorned people such as Tyrion (his lie about Tysha was the only time he was unkind to his brother, and Jamie thought it was for the best at the time, thinking that she was only after Lannister gold and unaware that Tywin would have her raped, leading Tyrion to be traumatized) and Brienne (when he gave her Oathkeeper), and also the scene with Myrcella before she dies.

In this sense though, as Jamie begins to become a likeable character (imo, he was always a likeable character, but since he was so hated for his past a lot of what he says and does gets easily misinterpreted, making him more of a misunderstood character, kind of like Tyrion), he also becomes expendable to the GOT series. I honestly think Jamie will meet his end soon. If you think about it, Tyrion is most likely the third head of the Targaryen dragon, so he's practically death-immune, Cersei doesn't fit the bill of a character who's been killed off, so what about Jamie? He's accomplished much of what he's had to do on the show, and the audience has already seen him go through a full pseudo-character transformation. It's sad for me personally because he's one of my favourite characters, but I can't see him living at the end of the series.

Also fine, he pushed Bran out of the tower, but fuck Bran

e: First post here, so I'll contribute too; what do you guys think about the recasting of Daario? I know it was a while back, but honestly I thought the first Daario was a lot more suited to the role (I think he dropped it to do Deadpool or something). There have been a bunch of recastings in the show but this was probably the worst, was wondering what your opinions were on it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)