ORAS NU My first NU team

So, I was playing around with a decent NU team on RMT. Then i got the bright idea to make an NU team for my self. So, here is the team. I would LOVE any advise you guys have for me!

Poliwrath @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 208 HP / 112 Atk / 96 Def / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break
- Water Pulse

Poliwrath was the first guy I picked. I picked him because he can bulk himself up enough that he will one hit almost anything. I use substitute to stall for Bulk Up time. Bulk Up is what I am using to stack up his attack so much he can OHKO anything. Brick Break is just an awesome fighting type, physical damage move that can also destroy screens. Water Pulse is for the Confusion chance and good STAB damage.

Aggron @ Life Orb

Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge

Aggron is my mid-late game cleaner. Head Smash with Rock Head does insane damage combined with STAB. Heavy Slam also is good damage with Aggron's weight and STAB. Rock Polish if i get a chance to use it makes him faster than almost anything else in the game. Stone Edge is just another Rock STAB move if i run out of Head Smash.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers

Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Toxic

I picked Abomasnow for the amount of damage he can give out and take in. With Giga Drain he can heal him self all the time. Ice Beam is good damage with STAB and its an added bonus that it has 10% freeze chance. Protect is to stall while Toxic builds up. Toxic is to be able to destroy any non-poison Pokemon that could serve as a problem.

Pyroar @ Leftovers

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast

Pyroar is honestly just amazing. Fire Fang after Moxie can build up does INSANE damage with STAB and 252 attack evs. Crunch after Moxie builds up also is amazing damage and can destroy the psychic type Pokemon. Sunny Day is to boost up Fire Blast and Fire Fang. Fire Blast is to get Pyroar's Moxie built up and if his bonus goes away for any reason it can build it up again and again.

Scyther @ Life Orb

Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Slash

Scyther... this guy pissed so many people off. With U-turn i can lead and deal good damage while switching to a more effective Pokemon for the situation. X-Scissor is for if he is going to be the most effective and i need just good STAB damage. Aerial Ace is being used for the same reason as X-Scissor. Slash is just good damage and i couldn't think of another move for him...

Claydol @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Recycle

Finally we come to Claydol. He can deal insane damage after enough stack ups while also tanking hits. I also needed a Psychic type pokemon to kill the opposing fighting types. Calm Mind is to bulk him up while he tanks all the hits that come at him. Dazzling Gleam is a move I needed because i didn't have any other fairy type moves. Psychic is good for STAB damage and if i can get 2-3 calm mind stack ups it is insanely over powered. Recycle is to make him keep using his Sitrus Berry over and over again while he can also keep stacking up calm mind.

Thanks for reading this! Like I said earlier, I am open to any advise you guys might have and I would love to make this team the best it can be.

Not a bad team. I would definitely change your scyther set to:
Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
That way it gives you an extra win condition and makes use of scythers better ability imo.

Hey, timmythy, overall your build looks cool, but your sets aren't really good, you should give a look at this: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/nu/ you can find all the competitive set and pick the one who fit better on your team. I'll give you some suggestion for your set, but as you looks to be new, i'd really suggest to give a look at the analysis as you can find a lot of informations such as the team option or the usage tips that can be helpful for your future build.

Firstly for Poliwrath, I'd suggest you to use the all out attacker, as it can put a better offensive pressure as well as being cool defensively with Scald. This Poliwrath allow you to deal with things like Torterra, Aggron, and Modest Abomasnow more easily. In addition, it give you a cool priority that can hit Swellow, Tauros, Floatzel, Archeops & cie.

For Aggron, I'd suggest Stone Plate over Life Orb and Low Kick over Stone Edge. Stone Plate allow you to lure the choice band, that can give you a lot more of opportunity to set up because your opponent think you are choice locked and just switch to a resist. Low Kick allow you to hits Steel type such as Steelix, Klinklang, & cie. I'd also suggest to run Adamant over Jolly because even with Jolly Aggron is pretty slow, and need to hit as harder as possible, so Adamant looks the best choice.

On Abomasnow, i'd really suggest putting Blizzard over Ice Beam because with Snow Warning, Blizzard gain some accucary, and can't miss under hail. It also give you more power that is amazing to increase Abomasnow's wallbreaking ability. Toxic and Protect aren't that good on Abomasnow, even if with hail that can do some cool damages, Ice Shard and Earthquake are just better. Ice Shard give you another cool priority that can hit super effectively Swellow and Archeops who looks pretty annoying for your team at the moment. While Earthquake pressure fire type to come in freely. I'd also like to suggest running 252 Speed 252 Special Attack 4 Attack and a Naive Nature. With that spread, Abomasnow become hugly dangerous for bulkier build because it can outspeed more things and do an amazing amount of damages but with a Life Orb over Leftovers it become ever more dangerous, because Blizzard + Giga drain cover a large amount of threat, while Ice Shard become even more threatening.

Well, physical Pyroar isn't good at all, a special set allows you to do a lot more of damages. Especially due to the normal stab that can hit water type pretty hard. So I'd like to suggest this set: Fire Blast, Hyper Voice, Hidden Power Grass, and Will-o-Wisp. This set allows you to hit a huge amount of threat with Fire Blast and Hyper Voice, while Hidden Power Grass hit things like Rhydon and Gastrodon. Will-o-Wisp allow you to set up more easily Aggron due to the burn, while dealing more easily with things like Steelix, Rhydon, Lanturn & cie due to the special coverage. With this change, you need to run: 252 Speed 252 Special Attack 4 Def/Sdef with a Timid Nature.

For Scyther, I agree with the post above, but i'd like to suggest U-turn over Bug Bite because with U-Turn, Scyther allow Aggron, Abomasnow and Pyroar to come more easily, while also having the opportunity to U-turn against things like Rhydon, Steelix, or non scarfed Rotom. But in addition, i'd like to suggest running a Bulky Swords Dance Scyther with 248 HP 252 Speed, and 8 Attack. It allows Scyther to set up more easily and to become a better win condition for your team. As well as supporting Claydol in his role of checking fighting type. (be careful, some fighting run Stone Edge or Fire Blast coverage) That also allows Scyther to take less on Ice Shard from Abomasnow and Piloswine to U-Turn more easily.

Finally i'd like to suggest completely changing the Claydol set because it's not really effective, especially because your team really need a Rapid Spin, and the Stealth Rock. So changing the set for: Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Psyshock, Earth Power looks the best things to do to support your team more efficiently. Psyshock is prefered on Psychic because it hit more Assault Vest Hariyama, while Earth Power hurt Skuntank, and Steel type to help Aggron again. I'd like to suggest running a Colbur Berry because Claydol is your only fighting check (Scyther fear too much Stone Edge or being Knock'd Off to switch in sometimes) and the berry allows you to take one or two Knock Off and to kill or deal an amazing amount of damages to the opposing figthing type. I'd also like to suggest running: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Def/Sdef with that spread, you can use Rapid Spin more easily against slower mons, while dealing a cool amount of damages to slow fighting type such as Hariyama, before you get Knock'd Off.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Aggron @ Stone Plate
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Polish
- Low Kick

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Hope i've helped, even if it's a little bit, have a good day! :)

Hey, timmythy, overall your build looks cool, but your sets aren't really good, you should give a look at this: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/nu/ you can find all the competitive set and pick the one who fit better on your team. I'll give you some suggestion for your set, but as you looks to be new, i'd really suggest to give a look at the analysis as you can find a lot of informations such as the team option or the usage tips that can be helpful for your future build.

Firstly for Poliwrath, I'd suggest you to use the all out attacker, as it can put a better offensive pressure as well as being cool defensively with Scald. This Poliwrath allow you to deal with things like Torterra, Aggron, and Modest Abomasnow more easily. In addition, it give you a cool priority that can hit Swellow, Tauros, Floatzel, Archeops & cie.

For Aggron, I'd suggest Stone Plate over Life Orb and Low Kick over Stone Edge. Stone Plate allow you to lure the choice band, that can give you a lot more of opportunity to set up because your opponent think you are choice locked and just switch to a resist. Low Kick allow you to hits Steel type such as Steelix, Klinklang, & cie. I'd also suggest to run Adamant over Jolly because even with Jolly Aggron is pretty slow, and need to hit as harder as possible, so Adamant looks the best choice.

On Abomasnow, i'd really suggest putting Blizzard over Ice Beam because with Snow Warning, Blizzard gain some accucary, and can't miss under hail. It also give you more power that is amazing to increase Abomasnow's wallbreaking ability. Toxic and Protect aren't that good on Abomasnow, even if with hail that can do some cool damages, Ice Shard and Earthquake are just better. Ice Shard give you another cool priority that can hit super effectively Swellow and Archeops who looks pretty annoying for your team at the moment. While Earthquake pressure fire type to come in freely. I'd also like to suggest running 252 Speed 252 Special Attack 4 Attack and a Naive Nature. With that spread, Abomasnow become hugly dangerous for bulkier build because it can outspeed more things and do an amazing amount of damages but with a Life Orb over Leftovers it become ever more dangerous, because Blizzard + Giga drain cover a large amount of threat, while Ice Shard become even more threatening.

Well, physical Pyroar isn't good at all, a special set allows you to do a lot more of damages. Especially due to the normal stab that can hit water type pretty hard. So I'd like to suggest this set: Fire Blast, Hyper Voice, Hidden Power Grass, and Will-o-Wisp. This set allows you to hit a huge amount of threat with Fire Blast and Hyper Voice, while Hidden Power Grass hit things like Rhydon and Gastrodon. Will-o-Wisp allow you to set up more easily Aggron due to the burn, while dealing more easily with things like Steelix, Rhydon, Lanturn & cie due to the special coverage. With this change, you need to run: 252 Speed 252 Special Attack 4 Def/Sdef with a Timid Nature.

For Scyther, I agree with the post above, but i'd like to suggest U-turn over Bug Bite because with U-Turn, Scyther allow Aggron, Abomasnow and Pyroar to come more easily, while also having the opportunity to U-turn against things like Rhydon, Steelix, or non scarfed Rotom. But in addition, i'd like to suggest running a Bulky Swords Dance Scyther with 248 HP 252 Speed, and 8 Attack. It allows Scyther to set up more easily and to become a better win condition for your team. As well as supporting Claydol in his role of checking fighting type. (be careful, some fighting run Stone Edge or Fire Blast coverage) That also allows Scyther to take less on Ice Shard from Abomasnow and Piloswine to U-Turn more easily.

Finally i'd like to suggest completely changing the Claydol set because it's not really effective, especially because your team really need a Rapid Spin, and the Stealth Rock. So changing the set for: Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Psyshock, Earth Power looks the best things to do to support your team more efficiently. Psyshock is prefered on Psychic because it hit more Assault Vest Hariyama, while Earth Power hurt Skuntank, and Steel type to help Aggron again. I'd like to suggest running a Colbur Berry because Claydol is your only fighting check (Scyther fear too much Stone Edge or being Knock'd Off to switch in sometimes) and the berry allows you to take one or two Knock Off and to kill or deal an amazing amount of damages to the opposing figthing type. I'd also like to suggest running: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 Def/Sdef with that spread, you can use Rapid Spin more easily against slower mons, while dealing a cool amount of damages to slow fighting type such as Hariyama, before you get Knock'd Off.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Aggron @ Stone Plate
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Polish
- Low Kick

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn

Claydol @ Colbur Berry
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Hope i've helped, even if it's a little bit, have a good day! :)

Thanks for the help! I'll try these sets out!

hey bro

This is going to be a shorter rate since Holiano picked off all the major concerns in his rate. This rate will be more focused around dealing with actual Structural Problems you might face in the game and how we can go about fixing them. First of all i can see quite a big weakness to Tauros, Normal Types with Aggron Coverage or Flying Types with the ability to hit Aggron. This can be quite annoying since your constantly finding yourself in 50/50 Situations which are not ideal when you are trying to win on a consistent basis. As a result, i think maybe going for a Tank Rhydon > Aggron will be ideal. It will give you a reliable stealth rock setter, and a proper normal resist due to its incredible stats after eviolite boosts and can maintain offensive impetus on either Bulky Psychics like Musharna with Swords Dance or Malamar with Megahorn respectively

This makes the Stealth Rock on Claydol redundant, so we are replacing that with Shadow Ball ( > Stealth Rock). What this means is that claydol becomes a much better Rapid Spinner, due to his ability to hit ghost types that try and spinblock with Shadow Ball for big super effective damage. Overall, the design of these changes was to more so give you options when in a defensive frameset, rather than losing a Pokemon every time Tauros gets a free turn which end up in a lot of lost causes which is the one thing you dont want when you are playing a tier for the first time. You want to be in with a shout of winning every game as that will give you the best oppurtuinities to learn :]

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Megahorn

Shadow Ball > Rapid Spin on Claydol

best of luck in the future bro
~HJAD

hey bro

This is going to be a shorter rate since Holiano picked off all the major concerns in his rate. This rate will be more focused around dealing with actual Structural Problems you might face in the game and how we can go about fixing them. First of all i can see quite a big weakness to Tauros, Normal Types with Aggron Coverage or Flying Types with the ability to hit Aggron. This can be quite annoying since your constantly finding yourself in 50/50 Situations which are not ideal when you are trying to win on a consistent basis. As a result, i think maybe going for a Tank Rhydon > Aggron will be ideal. It will give you a reliable stealth rock setter, and a proper normal resist due to its incredible stats after eviolite boosts and can maintain offensive impetus on either Bulky Psychics like Musharna with Swords Dance or Malamar with Megahorn respectively

This makes the Stealth Rock on Claydol redundant, so we are replacing that with Shadow Ball ( > Stealth Rock). What this means is that claydol becomes a much better Rapid Spinner, due to his ability to hit ghost types that try and spinblock with Shadow Ball for big super effective damage. Overall, the design of these changes was to more so give you options when in a defensive frameset, rather than losing a Pokemon every time Tauros gets a free turn which end up in a lot of lost causes which is the one thing you dont want when you are playing a tier for the first time. You want to be in with a shout of winning every game as that will give you the best oppurtuinities to learn :]

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast / Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Megahorn

Shadow Ball > Rapid Spin on Claydol

best of luck in the future bro
~HJAD

Alrighty! Thanks! I'll try these changes out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)