ORAS UU Viability Rankings V4

Status
Not open for further replies.
o I didn't see King Sun post. I suggested Feraligatr drop here and as such I fully support Feraligatr to A-.

I don't think we should blow off Gatr that quickly. Although its SD and DD set face competition from Crawdaunt and Gyarados, respectively, its Special attacking set is severly underrated in the current metagame. Scald, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast offer it solid, all-around coverage in this metagame. Furthermore, many people are quite under-prepared for AgilityGatr, which in of itself is a nice cleaner that can bypass M-Scept, Shaymin, and a lot of traditional Feraligatr Revenge killers. I think it should stay in A for that reason.

Hm Special attacker Gatr is good, and Agility sounds good for that set (Agility + 3 Special Attacks, I suppose?), but I don't think that set deserves an A rank, or even A-. I guess you can take a kill with surprise factor, something that can make a difference in HO builds, but once your set is revealed it becomes quite easier to wall it with UU regular walls, besides being completely walled and setup bait for Psychics like Cresselia, Slowking and Reuniclus, mons that otherwise would fear the SD Crunch set. After running some calcs, I see that AgiliGatr has the same problems DD sets would have to bypass common checks like healthy grass types, even adding Roserade to the checklist, which could fall to +1 Ice Punch.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin: 237-281 (69.5 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 239-283 (59.1 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade: 229-270 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Finally, Scald without burn is just bad :o even with Sheer Force.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually recommend running physical on Agility Gatr. Special Gatr is cute and can catch some people by surprise, but in general you're going to be doing more with Waterfall/Crunch/Ice Punch in this meta. The only thing that special really has going for it is the surprise of Sheer Force Focus Blast, and that surprise is pretty much gone the instant you click Scald or Ice Beam.

Agility Gatr is pretty neat, though - it has more or less the perfect Speed for it, hitting 255 while Adamant (enough to outspeed ScarfShao after an Agility), and really runs through a lot of more offensive teams. Still mostly a niche set, and mostly inferior to Jolly SD (which I still maintain is really good in this meta and which I find more useful than Crawdaunt in like 80% of all matchups), but it definitely helps Gatr out.

Anyhow, I do think people are still underrating it a bit and I don't think its current placement is all that far-fetched, but I guess I could see it dropping a bit (right below Infernape sounds about right) in this meta.

Empoleon rising seems really good actually, it did just keeps getting loads better and it's just so versatile in what it does. I think the SpD set is kinda bad too seeing as how offense is pretty much the best playstyle right now and the Offensive + Resist Berry set is usually better in a ton of situations. It checks such a wide variety of mons in a single set and the liberty of being able to support the team through use of it's incredible typing, bulk, and power is such a huge boon. It definitely deserves a rise.

I still think Conkeldurr is dong and should be in B alongside Machamp since it's not better than it by a long shot. Being an AV Pivot with terrible recovery since Drain Punch is piss weak and still loses to what it's supposed to check.

I'm not really understanding all the Feraligatr hate .-. I mean, yeah Gyarados is a better Dragon Dancer and all, but it's niche is being a terrifying SD user, not a Dancer, which is where everyone is getting it wrong. Crawdaunt can SD too, but I find it so underwhelming in most matchups due to it's atrocious speed and reliance on Aqua Jet, whereas at least Feraligatr can still break past most of the same threats while maintaining a relatively good Speed tier for a Swords Dance user. Dodmen even mentioned himself that Crawdaunt is really underwhelming these days and could possibly drop. Speaking of which, Crawdaunt should drop imo due to aforementioned reasons and the fact that the new drops pressure it even more alongside the fact that Grass-types and other Electrics are getting a lot better with Zapdos gone. Not to mention that offensive is pretty much the best playstyle now, which Crawudaunt usually flops against until it can manage to use SD and get off some damage before it's inevitably KOed. At least Feraligatr and Gyarados can somewhat hold their own against this influx, where Crawdaunt is just helpless most of the time, again, due to it terrible Speed.

Despite that, it does seem fit for a drop to A-, but if it does Crawdaunt definitely should fall to B+ then.

Reactions: DMT
There ain't no hating on Gatr, I just brought Gatr up especially because dodmen asked us to discuss Crawdaunt and Gyarados drop, and I thought we can't discuss those physical waters without discussing Feraligatr as well, since they are so similar and share a good portion of (new) counters and checks. I agree with Daunt dropping to B+ btw.

Krookodile: A to A+
Easily the best CB-User alongside Entei. It can power through bulky teams, as it can remove the items, like lefties, from common switch-ins like Suicune and Whimsicott with Knock Off. It also supports the team with Intimidate and Pursuit, making it a great partner for Sylveon e.g. because it can trap nearly every devensive Psychic-Type in the tier. It is also a great rocker for offensive teams, because it doesn't give up momentum and can bluff a choice set, catching people off guard. A to A+ -> agree

How do we feel about Cobalion dropping to A? This is me just theorizing, so take it with a grain of salt. With more teams somewhat opting for fatter Steel-types to curb Special Attackers (most notably Sylveon), Cobalion has stiffer competition for a team spot as a Steel type.

Cobalion holds a weird spot in UU in that it didn't change THAT much from the drops. Yeah, non-SD loses to Conk, but Iron Head hits non-PDef Sylveon HARD, and it's not complete set-up bait for Celebi. I think we could see a few more weeks of the drops before we drop Cobalion.

If anything I feel like Cobalion has gotten a bit better now that another wallbreaker in Sylveon dropped to help its SD set sweep easier, as well as Zapdos leaving freeing up the Stone Edge moveslot. Celebi being a very good rocker also frees up Cobalion's possible stealth rock moveslot. Cobalion can also switch into a lot of things that threaten Sylveon being Mega-Bee, Mega-Aggron somewhat, etc

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Nominating Arcanine for B

Arcanine has gotten a lot better with the recent drops and metagame trends. It's defensive set is actually pretty great right now as with some Special Defense investment, it becomes a great stop to Sylveon as it has reliable recovery in Morning Sun to continually check Sylveon. With it's nice physical bulk and Intimidate, it also becomes a good stop to Conkeldurr, as Conk's only way of beating Arcanine is LO Rock Slide or Earthquake, which are both inferior options to it's other moves. Arcanine also checks non-Earth Power Celebi and threatens it with Flare Blitz, which is really nice. Will-O-Wisp lets Arcanine spread status and cripple physical attackers like Swampert, who might try to switch in, and as mentioned before, it has Morning Sun to keep it alive during the battle. It's offensive set, while not as good as the defensive set, still has some solid niches over Entei, such as having a good ability in Intimidate, and some moves, such as Wild Charge and Close Combat, which give it coverage that Entei doesn't normally have. Arcanine does have some real flaws however, such as being weak to Stealth Rock, which means it's necessary to run hazard removal to help it wall effectively, or not get chipped down quickly for the offensive set. It also still has some weaknesses to common types such as Water and Ground, and can be set-up fodder for Pokemon like Suicune. But, Arcanine's unique defensive niches in checking the three drops and also checking a variety of other mons, such as Cobalion and Heracross, are not to be unoticed with it's access to reliable recovery, and it still has offensive niches over Entei. Overall, I think Arcanine has a more defined niche in the metagame now that it checks some important Pokemon such as Sylveon, and therefore should rise to B.

Diancie to B+

Personally, I haven't used it a lot (at least in UU), but I constantly hear about Escavalier-Milotic-Diancie core's effectiveness in this tier. I just want to open the floor to discussion about Diancie's viability in this tier.

Furthermore, should we move Rhyperior? Even though the metagame is somewhat more unfriendly to it now (warranting a drop), I still think there exists a case for it to potentially rise.

Changes:

Florges: A+ to A
Krookodile: A to A+
Feraligatr: A to A-
Azelf: A- to B+
Crawdaunt: A- to B+
Hoopa: B to B-
Arcanine: B- to B
Flygon: C- to Unranked

Other nominations from before:

Mega Sceptile: A to A+. Disagree with this one for sure, while it's definitely a big threat to frailer teams, it doesn't have the power it wants, and it also can't really take advantage of its typing too well because of Water-types running Ice Beam / Punch, other Grass-types beating it 1v1, and the only ground type it can even kind of come in on is Krookodile. Balance does commonly carry counters to it, and in fact a team doesn't really have to go too far out of its way to answer Sceptile, since Pokemon like Florges / Sylveon, Porygon2, Bronzong, Cresselia, Celebi and Escavalier are widely used. Introduction of Sylveon and Celebi is also a point against it for sure. I think A rank fits it perfectly.

Sylveon: A- to A. I moved it higher in A-, but I'm against moving it any higher. Its physical bulk isn't that much higher than Florges's, but it does have significantly less special bulk meaning it's way harder for it to deal with sp attackers like Blastoise and Kyurem.

Conkeldurr: B- to B. Leaving Conk where it is for now, based on the Iron Fist Hammer Arm set, and the Guts AV set which I underestimated at first. Anything else, like Sheer Force LO or Bulk Up, is totally outclassed by other Fighting types or just other Conkeldurr sets. Whoever said that Conkeldurr should be used as a tank rather than a wallbreaker said it perfectly.

Empoleon: A- to A. Disagree, it can't live long enough to perform its job as well as it needs to in order to be A rank, most of the time.

Crobat: B+ to A-. Gonna move it near the top of B+ but not A- for now.

New nominations:

Celebi: A to A+. Celebi's already been seeing a ton of success in UUPL. its ability to destroy standard Florges + Suicune balance with NP is one of the things it has going most for it, and obviously the Baton Pass sets can be a nightmare to deal with. Also, I think its ability to counter Suicune on stall without having to get the whole team burned (and also easily counter many other spatkers) is something that should be considered here. On the other hand, it really hates the 2 best Pokemon in the tier right now.

Mega Absol: B+ to B. While it can be very threatening to frailer teams with its powerful priority, it's usually very difficult to get onto the field and evolve safely. It also gained 2 solid checks last month.

Also, thoughts on Porygon2: B+ to B as well?

Ignoring my own thoughts on Hydreigon being the best Pokemon in the tier, any Celebi set that runs Dazzling Gleam and speed really doesn't give a shit about Hydreigon. Scarfgon falling in popularity just means that Hydreigon is just something that Nasty Plot Celebi (its best set in my estimation) steamrolls. Scarf being Hydreigon's worst set by a fair margin as well (not that it's bad, but it's a B+ set compared to bunch of A, A+, and S sets) only helps that, since you're less likely to even see it, and if you do there's a lot of Pokemon that complement Celebi very well that capitalize on Scarfgon.

Meanwhile, you can forgo the speed and run pure bulk and actually have a chance to beat non-HC Maero 1v1. Happened to me earlier today against a CM Celebi, actually. At +2, Giga Drain 2HKOs while turning Aerial Ace into a 3HKO. It was alarming as hell.

This is not to say that you should throw your Celebis into the fray against these two with abandon. Just that I wholeheartedly support the nom to A+ and would actually be down for it going to S once the metagame has settled a little more.

P2 isn't doing great. It's one of the few prominent Pokemon in UU that every single drop threatens. Celebi sets up all over it, Sylveon 2HKOs with Specs Hyper Voice and ALSO sets up all over it, and Conk preys on it super hard. No thoughts on Mega Absol, I don't see it very much, but the last one I saw was running Protect in order to get the safe MEvo.

I agree with Celebi up to A+, the thing is a monster
It has so many viable sets, just off the top of my head there's
-NP/SD Baton Pass
-defensive rocks
-Special wall
-Def wall
-NP/SD sweeper/stall breaker
-it can also do CM tho I haven't really seen it
-It gets a nice range of coverage to deal with most threats in UU on the special side, and priority on the physical side.
-Way too many support options like the broken Twave, heal bell, baton pass, healing wish, rocks, trick, trick room etc

I imagine in tournaments it must be hell to face bc it could be running nearly anything

In short, it's a jack of all trades, and master of most.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Florges's special bulk is not at all significantly better than Sylveon's.

252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- 22.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Florges: 102-120 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 91.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Florges: 151-178 (41.9 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

In the above-mentioned matchups, the only real difference is when Stealth Rock is up.

252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

But some extra SpDef EVs can make a lot of difference in that matchup. Meanwhile, Sylveon's extra power matters a lot in these matchups if Stealth Rock is up for Kyurem and if it's not for Blastoise (it often won't be throughout the entire match because it spins and stuff).

0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem: 296-350 (75.7 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem: 246-290 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 121-144 (35 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 102-120 (29.5 - 34.7%) -- 8.3% chance to 3HKO

But it's not like these just run defensive sets either. Sylveon can run a great offensive set, and Florges can run a Calm Mind set. I think they're easily on the same level, both with their pros and cons.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can I nominate Infernape to go from A- to A? I mean, seriously. This thing has so much offensive versatility. It's attack and special attack both sit at a nice 104, and are backed up by a great speed tier in 108, and to compliment these offensive stats, it has an absolutely amazing move pool, quite possibly the most diverse in the entire tier! With options ranging from great stab in flare blitz, fire blast, close combat and mach punch to coverage in thunder punch and grass knot, this guy can pull off physical, special, and mixed sets off incredibly well, AND with a great ability in iron fist to give thunder punch and STAB mach punch even more firepower. While you might argue that the plethora of water types roaming UU and Infernape's frailty hold him back, he can easily outspeed almost all of his threats and threaten out those nasty water types with a grass knot or thunder punch, or even earthquake for the rare Tentacruel! Seriously, this guy's unpredictability is insane, and I've found great success in giving him a life orb, choice scarf, and even choice band (banded CC does a ton of damage on pretty much the whole tier). Great speed and offensive stats and an insane offensive move pool aren't something you see much in a pokemon sitting in the a- rank, and these things definitely stand him out from that bunch.

Last edited:
Can I nominate Infernape to go from A- to A? I mean, seriously. This thing has so much offensive versatility. It's attack and special attack both sit at a nice 104, and are backed up by a great speed tier in 108, and to compliment these offensive stats, it has an absolutely amazing move pool, quite possibly the most diverse in the entire tier! With options ranging from great stab in flare blitz, fire blast, close combat and mach punch to coverage in thunder punch and grass knot, this guy can pull off physical, special, and mixed sets off incredibly well, AND with a great ability in iron fist to give thunder punch and STAB mach punch even more firepower. While you might argue that the plethora of water types roaming UU and Infernape's frailty hold him back, he can easily outspeed almost all of his threats and threaten out those nasty water types with a grass knot or thunder punch, or even earthquake for the rare Empoleon! Seriously, this guy's unpredictability is insane, and I've found great success in giving him a life orb, choice scarf, and even choice band (banded CC does a ton of damage on pretty much the whole tier). Great speed and offensive stats and an insane offensive move pool aren't something you see much in a pokemon sitting in the a- rank, and these things definitely stand him out from that bunch.
I think that we can wait Suspect Test's result to nom the most of the Fighting-Types higher, Alakazam is actually the biggest threat to Fighting-Types, being able to outspeed them and resist it's Priority Attacks, ofc that with the drops and rises it got a lot better, but it isn't good enough actually IMO.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Considering shuca Empoleon is common, I wouldn't run eq ape to hit that considering it actually has a fighting stab. Run it to hit Chandy.
That actually makes more sense than my argument XD but since I usually run Infernape with a choice item, I guess I was under the impression that it would be locked onto earthquake for some reason. I'll change it to Tentacruel.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I nominate Umbreon and Blissey to switch ranks, Umbreon dropping to B- and Blissey raising to B based on the effectiveness of their standard sets (the ones on smogon analysis for the most part).

I don't think Umbreon has become much worse, but it's already near the bottom of B and I believe the drops should push it down a little bit more. Sylveon is one of the worst problems for Umbreon, which is normally used on stall, because it is a free switch in for Sylveon. This is a three fold problem - not only is Umbreon an invitation for Sylveon but Umbreon usually serves as the super special wall but obviously crumples to Sylveon still. This is compounded further by the fact really Blissey is one of the only good switch ins to Sylveon on stall (steel types get worn easily and are 3hko while Tentacruel can't actually do much and is destroyed by Psyshock) - it's difficult to build stall with both Blissey and Umbreon because overlapping weaknesses and redundant team roles.

Additionally Umbreon is still bait for the best fighting type in the tier, Cobalion, while a new fighting type which has even fewer reliable counters has been introduced, Conkeldurr. The other drop Celebi isn't actually as a great as a match up as you might expect for Umbreon since it can still Baton Pass boosts away unless it's SD and the recipient dies to Foul Play.

The reason I nominate for a relatively small drop in ranking is because Umbreon has very good defense and Foul Play which means it can serve as an emergency check to attackers like Salamence and Gyarados still - highly useful because not only do you not resist their STABs but you also are generally a special wall, not physical, so basically you get an extra response to these dangerous threats in addition to a more traditional counter. Also Umbreon can be a bit more versatile then its online analysis suggests, physically defensive sets are not bad for the above reasons but also moves like Taunt and Sucker Punch and Baton Pass and Curse can sometimes be fit on Umbreon for various purposes, Taunt Specially Defensive Umbreon has a very high chance to beat CM Focus Blast Reuniclus for example.

Umbreon also has a good chance to beat some special attackers that Blissey cannot such as NP Psyshock Azelf and CM Chandelure (you beat it one on one but cannot counter). This comes in exchange for losing to a lot of special attackers including the before mentioned Sylveon as well as Houndoom Porygon Z and Florges.

The reason I nominate Blissey to raise is a little bit less obvious, but I think it should have been B even before the drops. Basically it is indisputably the best special wall in the tier and offers more utility while countering more threats than anything else in the tier. No single Pokemon has done so much for stall as Blissey for reasons every competitive player knows.

The weaknesses of using Blissey don't often manifest itself unless you're that idiot on the ladder using Blissey offense - Blisseys teammates can cover her weaknesses pretty easily. Only a few special attackers such as CM Reuniclus and Sub CM Chandelure trouble Blissey - and for it we generally call them stallbreakers. It's a testament to Blissey's strength that we generally label most special attackers that can break through Blissey stallbreakers.

Tldr:

Umbreon is still decent because Foul Play and good defense but Sylveon really hinders it's usefulness on stall.

Blissey has always deserved B because it's the best special wall.

Nominating meloetta from c+ --> B-/B

this thing actually has a ton of great sets and is crazy bulky too. my favourite set is calm mind but choice specs is also viable and there is also pirouette form but im not gonna go there because its not as good in real life as it is in paper. Watch as it sets up on a conkeldurr then smacks it with a psychic

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meloetta: 208-246 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 160 HP / 92 SpD Conkeldurr: 450-530 (115 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

hit through gyarados' sub and 2hko

+1 4 SpA Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 180-213 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

always live 2 outrages from salamence and 2hko

252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meloetta: 171-202 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence: 241-285 (72.8 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

beat mega aerodactyl too

252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Meloetta: 144-169 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- 84.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 187-222 (62.1 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

saving the best until last: after one calm mind you beat life orb hydriegon

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Meloetta: 179-213 (44.3 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 4 SpA Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 196-232 (60.3 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

if theres something major I'm missing then point it out but as far as i can see this thing is a monster that can get past the biggest threats in uu. you can even tweak the evs to have more power/speed/special bulk.

I don't really see the point of using defensive calm mind meloetta when cresselia and reuniclus exists. The only benefits it brings are normal type, a moove that bypass sub and speed (i'm not even sure that having normal type can be considered as a benefit), when on the other hands it lacks recovery, which sounds pretty mandatory due to the competition it faces, and has anyway less bulk than the two others.
Laslty, when you can just beat some things 1v1 with meloetta, stuff like cresselia can just use them as set up baits. I really don't think that cm bulky meloetta is that strong.

Sorry for my terrible english btw

Last edited:

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Can we get Lucario to move up? B+ has been criminally underselling it for too long. In terms of what changed, YABO made a great post in the np thread about how Sylveon is causing an increase of steels like Bronzong or Metagross over Cobalion, which in turn opens the door to Lucario sweeps. Even without this recent trend B+ isn't fitting for it simply because of how threatening it is to a majority of teams. It plays sort of like Slurpuff in that it forces the opponent to play much more cautious than they would since giving it a free turn could hand the opponent a win. However, unlike Puff, it has zero counters and circumvents prio via amazing typing + its own priority, so stopping it after it sets up often ends up in you praying that your opponent's set isn't the one that beats your entire team, or in you sacking a good portion of it. Preventing it from setting up isn't the easiest task either since balance squads almost always have something passive enough to SD/NP on or something it forces out. Offense has an easier time preventing setup but there still is stuff like Espeed locked Entei, Drei, CB Krook etc + playing around its powerful Espeed is never fun even when unboosted.

Sorry if this sounds jumbled, I'm on my phone and just pouring my thoughts out. But yeah Luc to A- at least

Also, Celebi to A+ is a no brainier. Its effects on Stall and Balance are unparalleled, and it's so damn splashable on all playstyles (I'm sure we'll see Celebi Perish Song stall soon).

Last edited:
Changes:

Celebi: A to A+
Sylveon: A- to A (I apologize for being stubborn about this before)
Mega Absol: B+ to B
Porygon2: B+ to B
Blissey: B- to B. Not a whole lot of discussion on this, but I definitely agree with it.
Exploud: C- to Unranked

I would like to see some more discussion on:

Umbreon: B to B-
Lucario: B+ to A-. Disagree with this one for right now.

New nominations:

Tentacruel: B+ to A-
Mega Ampharos: B to B-

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I agree with tentacruel to a-. Core shredder=dope, and i'm happy that more and more players are recognizing the merits of utilizing offensive sets over its usual defensive ones.

I nominate Tangrowth to B rank. Although it competes with Celebi as an option on stall/balance, tangrowth functions very differently while maintaining good quality as a pivot with regenerator, especially on stall. Access to leech seed and knock off, moves celebi doesn't have access to, allow Tangrowth to whittle threats down even in a last 'mon situation (ye, celebi can do that with perish song, but leech seed also does an underratedly good job too). Offensively, it's not a sleeper either; unlike Roserade, Shaymin, or Chesnaught, it can easily run a mixed set to deal solid damage against most of this meta, and its longevity on the field with will be helped a ton by regenerator. However, its special defense is pretty damn flimsy especially without investment, and because of that gaping weakness, massive threats like Mence, hydra, sylveon, etc. can easily take advantage at tangrowth's peril, which sucks a lot. That being said, it's a pretty underrated 'mon that has some outstanding qualities and can easily carry some good weight on many teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)