Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Will vouch for Triples being the preferred format to accumulate large BP amounts, but I'm biased as hell towards the format and find the time spent on it flies by. You seem newer at the Maison experience, so you'll also find Triples is more forgiving of misplays and such. GG Unit is right in that Singles is faster for that purpose, but then again he's a Singles wizard and likely finds the format less nerve-wracking. Try to reach twenty-five battles in each Super format and see what comes most naturally to you!
Maybe it is if you could just instantly acquire whichever Pokemon you want. If you actually take the time to breed, using a good singles team from what you already have is much faster than trying to make a triples team without much synergy work. Even a good Mat Block triples team is not going to get through battles faster than a singles team with a strategy so straightforward that you won't even need to switch in 95 percent of battles, especially when getting past the Chatelaine once or getting to the 30-40 range twice is probably enough to get every evolution item.

learning, mostly enjoying, occasionally shouting.
It's like that with everything we enjoy very much. Anyone one who has a serious hobby will tell you nothing like the hobby gets him as emotionally upset at times. I know a guy who loves to cook but says it makes him mad like nothing else can when stuff goes wrong.

It's the passion.

Oops I left out the word "always" in your quote. I'm going to leave it like that just for kicks.

I haven't looked at your loss video yet, Smuckem, but I will soon. That's gotta be interesting.

Hi all,

I'm planning a Double Maison Sun Team using a fairly standard sweeping Charizard Mega-Y and Sawsbuck (leads) and a Tailwind Sharp Beak Talonflame, but I'm having trouble on deciding on my fourth Pokemon. I was wondering if you could give any opinions regarding the three choices I've narrowed it down to:

*note: the one pokemon that my Sawsbuck will not outspeed in the Sun is Aerodactly 1 (max speed, choice scarf with Rock Slide). This pokemon factors a lot into my analysis*

Togekiss @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Serene Grace
Modest Nature
252 HP / 24 Def / 228 SAtk / 4 Spd
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave / Encore / Morning Sun / Sunny Day / Protect

So meant to be a fairly bulky, fairly powerful 4th mon that can take hits as well as dishing them out, especially to some key threats the rest of my team doesn't have coverage against. The moveset designed to maximise use of spread moves and of the sun, with the last move obviously highly contested. Quick explanation of the EV spread: 4 Speed EVs allow it to outrun half the Dragonites and Altarias and all the Goodras and hit them with Dazzling Gleam, 228 SAtk EVs I think more or less guarantees KOs against key dragon pokemon like Dragonite whilst making some room for bulk, which the rest of the spread maximises.

Pros and Cons:
+ Hits dragon types super effectively
+ Good use of spread moves and of moves benefiting from the sun
+ Has access to a lot of good support moves
+ Fairly bulky
+ EV spread could potentially be changed to avoid the 2HKO from Aerodactly 1 (looking at flinch shenanigans here) but at the cost of power
- Shares many of the weaknesses of the rest of my team (incl. Aerodactyl 1's rock slide)
- Lacks the speed and power often so useful in the fast-paced game of doubles, but Tailwind from Talonflame can address the speed issue

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge/Sitrus Berry
Regenerator
Bold / Calm / Relaxed / Sassy Nature
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect / Solarbeam

Ok I'm not really sure about the nature or the EVs, but the idea is that Amoonguss is a fantasticly bulky Pokemon with some great doubles support moves, and takes a lot of the hits that my other team members can't.

Pros and Cons:
+ Hits fairy types super effectively
+ Fantastic support moves in rage powder and spore
+ Very bulky, resistant/not weak to a lot of the types my other team members are weak against
+ Laughs in the face of aerodactly 1
+ Can be slow enough to "outspeed" many Pokemon under the effects of Trick Room, which otherwise kinda screws my team over
- No spread moves
- Nothing to hit dragons with (concern?)
- Very much lacks the speed and power often so useful in the fast-paced game of doubles

Blaziken @ Wise Glasses / Wide Lens
Speed Boost
Rash Nature
28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Superpower / Hi-Jump Kick
- Earthquake / Solarbeam / Rock Slide / Knock Off / Dual Chop

Again this one is a bit up in the air. The idea is a mixed attacking Blaziken that primarily makes use of spread Heat Wave, but can also attack on the physical side as well. There is the option of making Blaziken all special, but that would mean resorting to Focus Blast for fighting STAB or simply not using one (the latter isn't too bad since Sawsbuck can use Jump Kick) and making do with Blazekin's limited special movepool. 228 Spd EVs allow Blazekin to Pokemon which could be troublesome for it, such as Noivern, Greninja and Alakazam, after a boost, while the max SAtk investment plus Wise Glasses (Sawsbuck uses the Life Orb) ensures a KO on Thundurus in the Sun. Rest of the EVs go into Attack. Superpower is penciled in over HJK as Blazekin won't care as much about the Attack drop, but in the case that I change to a more physical-orientated build, HJK can be brought in as well as the Wide Lens to make HJK and Heat Wave all but unmissable. Earthquake is the first option for fourth moveslot mainly to hit Heatran and also for good coverage, but Solarbeam is a strong contender too. Remember because of Mega Charizard-Y this can't mega-evolve (cry)

+ Fast and (relatively powerful)
+ Makes use of the sun and of spread moves
+ (Eventually) outspeeds Aerodactly 1 (and can take a rock slide in order to do so)
+ Good range of coverage moves available
+ Fighting type coverage frees up Sawsbuck to use something else over Jump Kick
- Shares some (but not all) of my team's weaknesses
- Doesn't help against fairies or dragons

Sorry for the long post! Any help you can give me would be much appreciated! :)

Hi all,

I'm planning a Double Maison Sun Team using a fairly standard sweeping Charizard Mega-Y and Sawsbuck (leads) and a Tailwind Sharp Beak Talonflame, but I'm having trouble on deciding on my fourth Pokemon. I was wondering if you could give any opinions regarding the three choices I've narrowed it down to:

*note: the one pokemon that my Sawsbuck will not outspeed in the Sun is Aerodactly 1 (max speed, choice scarf with Rock Slide). This pokemon factors a lot into my analysis*

Togekiss @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Serene Grace
Modest Nature
252 HP / 24 Def / 228 SAtk / 4 Spd
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave / Encore / Morning Sun / Sunny Day / Protect

So meant to be a fairly bulky, fairly powerful 4th mon that can take hits as well as dishing them out, especially to some key threats the rest of my team doesn't have coverage against. The moveset designed to maximise use of spread moves and of the sun, with the last move obviously highly contested. Quick explanation of the EV spread: 4 Speed EVs allow it to outrun half the Dragonites and Altarias and all the Goodras and hit them with Dazzling Gleam, 228 SAtk EVs I think more or less guarantees KOs against key dragon pokemon like Dragonite whilst making some room for bulk, which the rest of the spread maximises.

Pros and Cons:
+ Hits dragon types super effectively
+ Good use of spread moves and of moves benefiting from the sun
+ Has access to a lot of good support moves
+ Fairly bulky
+ EV spread could potentially be changed to avoid the 2HKO from Aerodactly 1 (looking at flinch shenanigans here) but at the cost of power
- Shares many of the weaknesses of the rest of my team (incl. Aerodactyl 1's rock slide)
- Lacks the speed and power often so useful in the fast-paced game of doubles, but Tailwind from Talonflame can address the speed issue

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge/Sitrus Berry
Regenerator
Bold / Calm / Relaxed / Sassy Nature
252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect / Solarbeam

Ok I'm not really sure about the nature or the EVs, but the idea is that Amoonguss is a fantasticly bulky Pokemon with some great doubles support moves, and takes a lot of the hits that my other team members can't.

Pros and Cons:
+ Hits fairy types super effectively
+ Fantastic support moves in rage powder and spore
+ Very bulky, resistant/not weak to a lot of the types my other team members are weak against
+ Laughs in the face of aerodactly 1
+ Can be slow enough to "outspeed" many Pokemon under the effects of Trick Room, which otherwise kinda screws my team over
- No spread moves
- Nothing to hit dragons with (concern?)
- Very much lacks the speed and power often so useful in the fast-paced game of doubles

Blaziken @ Wise Glasses / Wide Lens
Speed Boost
Rash Nature
28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Superpower / Hi-Jump Kick
- Earthquake / Solarbeam / Rock Slide / Knock Off / Dual Chop

Again this one is a bit up in the air. The idea is a mixed attacking Blaziken that primarily makes use of spread Heat Wave, but can also attack on the physical side as well. There is the option of making Blaziken all special, but that would mean resorting to Focus Blast for fighting STAB or simply not using one (the latter isn't too bad since Sawsbuck can use Jump Kick) and making do with Blazekin's limited special movepool. 228 Spd EVs allow Blazekin to Pokemon which could be troublesome for it, such as Noivern, Greninja and Alakazam, after a boost, while the max SAtk investment plus Wise Glasses (Sawsbuck uses the Life Orb) ensures a KO on Thundurus in the Sun. Rest of the EVs go into Attack. Superpower is penciled in over HJK as Blazekin won't care as much about the Attack drop, but in the case that I change to a more physical-orientated build, HJK can be brought in as well as the Wide Lens to make HJK and Heat Wave all but unmissable. Earthquake is the first option for fourth moveslot mainly to hit Heatran and also for good coverage, but Solarbeam is a strong contender too. Remember because of Mega Charizard-Y this can't mega-evolve (cry)

+ Fast and (relatively powerful)
+ Makes use of the sun and of spread moves
+ (Eventually) outspeeds Aerodactly 1 (and can take a rock slide in order to do so)
+ Good range of coverage moves available
+ Fighting type coverage frees up Sawsbuck to use something else over Jump Kick
- Shares some (but not all) of my team's weaknesses
- Doesn't help against fairies or dragons

Sorry for the long post! Any help you can give me would be much appreciated! :)
I think tyranitar could be a problem for you esp if he comes in after u mega evolve charizard (a back row politoad as well could cause u to need to spend turns switching) as a doubles switch in im currently using assault vest landorus(therian) as intimidate support from a switch-in doesnt 'waste' the move also consider conkeldur as your right in that TR could hurt you ..talonflames priority will help but cant touch bronzong (who also has and uses, rain dance) and slowtwins will KO him. ..just some thoughts?

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
A Lightningrod user would allow you to exploit the AI's usage of Electric moves and give your Fliers some protection. Rhyperior and Marowak would also allow you to EQ spam relatively safely as well as give you some extra relief against Rock-types, though you would then have a gapping weakness to Ice (and with Chef Cobb raoming around, that's never a good thing). Meganectric would just be a nice mon to use overall, and Megatile would give you an extra Grass-type to deal with Water-types, though you would then have a two-dimensional team in the case of the latter and a whole team of fast, frail 'mons in both cases.

I love how, despite numerous experienced folks on this thread over time having to point out how Aerodactyl1 isn't a factor after The First 40, players still fret over having to deal with this thing, to this very day.
Damn bird has an aura about it. Perhaps the solution is to make it even more explicitly clear that it isn't really a cause for concern? Saying it doesn't appear after The First 40 isn't enough, it seems...so perhaps it needs to be pointed out that it doesn't appear after The First 20.

Then again, it could just be an experiential trauma thing in this case. Psycho Cut , how many of your streaks has Aerodactyl1 ended or nearly ended, to this point?

EDIT: I just realized that Hitmontop can work for you--with Intimidate and some SDef investment, can be bulky on both sides, gives you an extra weapon against Rock-types, is an asset for Doubles/Triples in general, and has several forms of priority (most notably, Bullet Punch) to deal with your arch-nemesis (all Aerodactyl sets, really).

Last edited:
Hey we were all there once. I remember it well. The fact is, it takes a while to find a team that suits you.
For me, it was trial and error. I also read the guide here. That was very useful.
Currently my singles streak is at 150 - higher than it's ever been. But I achieved this through a series of small improvements; it didn't happen all at once.

My best piece of advice would be to go for reliability over power.
Obviously if you can get both though, aim for that. A good example of both is multiscale Dragonite - he's my lead.

Anyway, good luck!
Creating a team that you're comfortable with using definitely helps a lot, since I feel that it leads to a better understanding of what your team's strengths and weaknesses are.

I'm definitely not afraid to abuse the cheesy strats when it comes to the Maison, or past facilities like it, but when I started building my Triples streak I had a blast with both using and polishing my team

Welp. I butchered my streak after 789 wins by playing very foolishly against lead Scrafty4. In my frustration and disappointment I forgot to save the loss, but from now on I think I'll avoid playing late at night.

For now I'll take a much-needed break and pursue my Shiny hunting quest, but I'm definitely not done with the Maison. I'll have another crack with the same team at least before SuMo comes out, as I believe the potential for 1000 wins and beyond is there.

Best of luck with everyone's Maison endeavours!

Welp. I butchered my streak after 789 wins by playing very foolishly against lead Scrafty4. In my frustration and disappointment I forgot to save the loss, but from now on I think I'll avoid playing late at night.

For now I'll take a much-needed break and pursue my Shiny hunting quest, but I'm definitely not done with the Maison. I'll have another crack with the same team at least before SuMo comes out, as I believe the potential for 1000 wins and beyond is there.

Best of luck with everyone's Maison endeavours!
Was this a singles streak? 789 is pretty good. Details on the team please?

Smuckem

Was this a singles streak? 789 is pretty good. Details on the team please?
I think he's referring to this Super Singles team.

I wouldn't be all that disappointed in the loss though--though it is not as erratic as, say, Tentacruel4 or Lopunny4 in its behavior, Scrafty4 still is fairly unpredictable and certainly something to be wary of.

Yeah, Singles has always been my preferred format. The team wasn't of my own creation Scythes, so I suggest you read turskain's write-up for more detailed info. Feel free to give it a spin!

Smuckem Normally erratic Protect users are seen as a minor hindrance, but I played so bad against the Scrafty haha. It Intimidated Nite, so I switched right out to Greninja and tried to fish for a Scald burn (yeah great decision..!) to no avail. In the meantime it got a couple Bulk Up boosts and basically Paybacked my team into oblivion. Oh well, onwards and upwards from here.

All right thanks. I'm attempting my own streak right now - at 236 currently - but I'm always on the lookout for good ideas. Right now my team is just a redo of the one I lost previously with.(It's on the leaderboard.)
It works quite well, and it's not particularly original, which gets me wondering why no one else has tried it. It's the classic dragon water steel combo.

I have an unrelated question, it's been bugging me for a while. When people on this thread talk about a "goodstuffs" team or strategy, what on earth does that mean? What distinguishes it from a non-goodstuffs team, exactly?
I'm clueless as to the meaning of this term.

I believe a goodstuffs team essentially means you have a strong hitter that nets a lot of KOs, a bulky pivot, and the final mon (can be bulky or or aggressive) fills in the gaps. In the case of the team I was using, Aegislash backs up Dragonite and Greninja by switching in to sponge hits. I think because of the Maison's nature this generation, basically you should use reliable mons that dish out big damage from the get-go/require minimal set-up. Durant is probably the most viable 'non-goodstuffs' strategy I'm aware of. Don't know much about it myself but the proof's in the pudding on the 1st page; it's been very successful in Singles.

Nice work by the way, I might try your team out sometime in the future!

Just lost a doubles streak at 40 wins with an unorthodox team of Omastar/Scrafty/Yanmega/Gourgeist-S. It certainly had issues but surprised it got to 40. I'd have fancied my chances against the Chatelaine too.

I'm tempted to break the team up and go back to a yanmega formula I have for doubles and I'm very tempted to try a monotype water team in triples.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get the special berries from Super Singles with Mega Khan, Greninja, and Speed Boost Blaziken, still having a hard time though, so I'll share my sets to see if I could get any tips:

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA/252 Speed/4 Def
Protean
Surf
Extrasensory
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

Khangaskhan @Khangaskanite
Jolly
252 Attack/4 Def/252 Speed
Parental Bond
Return
Earthquake
Power Up Punch
Crunch

Blaziken @Wide Lens
Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Def
High Jump Kick
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Protect

Smuckem

Just lost a doubles streak at 40 wins with an unorthodox team of Omastar/Scrafty/Yanmega/Gourgeist-S. It certainly had issues but surprised it got to 40. I'd have fancied my chances against the Chatelaine too.

I'm tempted to break the team up and go back to a yanmega formula I have for doubles and I'm very tempted to try a monotype water team in triples.
PLEASE try this out...hell, I'll pay you to get started on this.
Excellent work on the doubles team btw, if nothing else it gives you some impetus to try out Omastar and/or Gourgeist in other contexts.

I believe a goodstuffs team essentially means you have a strong hitter that nets a lot of KOs, a bulky pivot, and the final mon (can be bulky or or aggressive) fills in the gaps. In the case of the team I was using, Aegislash backs up Dragonite and Greninja by switching in to sponge hits. I think because of the Maison's nature this generation, basically you should use reliable mons that dish out big damage from the get-go/require minimal set-up. Durant is probably the most viable 'non-goodstuffs' strategy I'm aware of. Don't know much about it myself but the proof's in the pudding on the 1st page; it's been very successful in Singles.

Nice work by the way, I might try your team out sometime in the future!
You know, I had a feeling that's what's it was based on the context in which it was used, but I wanted to confirm.
My team is definitely goodstuffs then. Dragonite nets most of my ko's, Suicune's my bulky pivot and Mega Scizor fills the gaps. I've never tried anything Durant-like before, though it may be worth a try someday.

Thanks for the compliment. This is a fun team to use, it's very balanced. It has its fair share of power and bulk and each Pokemon can set up. It has no glaring weaknesses as far as I can see, which is a major plus. Sometimes I wish I had a rock resistance though (that's where Aegislash would come in handy). Normally Suicune is pretty good with stalling out powerful Stone Edges though.

Watch out for Slurpuff4, oh my. It's modest and it has an expert belt. It just barely escapes the Ohko from mega Scizor's non-boosted bullet punch 62.5% of the time. It also has flamethrower to hit Scizor, energy ball and thunderbolt to hit suicine (so you can't really pp stall it easily) and dazzling gleam to kill Dragonite. It's a real threat for this team if you're not prepared. You may just have to try using Scizor and if he doesn't kill it then finish it off with Extremespeed Dragonite.

Nocheese tried a team similar to mine once, I think. He got to at least the 300s (could be much higher, sorry I've forgotten). The only difference - not counting move sets - was he used Metagross as his mega instead of Scizor. I prefer Scizor because not only does he have less weaknesses, but he has access to swords dance and roost as well.

My ultimate goal is to break the top ten. If I have keep having close calls like I had this morning though, where I had to rely on a stone edge miss (Yikes!) I know it won't happen. I have plenty of room to improve.

Durant teams are super duper easy to play. I still have a 297 ongoing streak with mega kangaskhan, durant, volcarona, that I'm taking my sweet sweet time on. I barely even know what I'm doing, and the cheese just carries me. I have had a few close calls though, and I got out of a few of them purely by luck. By all rights, my streak should be over, but it isn't. Not yet. :p

I wish I remembered to save the replay, but one of my close calls was saved by the enemy missing an Overheat that should absolutely have killed me.

Every team is easy to play if you make it well enough. All "goodstuff" teams in singles are just an Uber set-up sweeper with 2 PP stallers as backup, and the extent to which anyone would disagree with that statement only underscores how well such teams can function despite misplays.

You could run something like Kangaskhan, Chansey, and Gliscor totally blind and go into every battle trying to sweep with Power-up Punch, and even if that resulted in you needlessly sacrificing Kangaskhan several times, the other two will handle everything aside from the rare opposing stat booster.

So I got a 100 streak in ORAS super doubles. (Ongoing)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/df3ma2ve4bgqfyk/20160529_195336.jpg?dl=0

I just threw some old VGC mons together and surprisingly it worked out well despite having wonky unchanged movesets and attacks with shaky accuracy. I can't remember the EV spreads (sorry) but they aren't likely to be anything special so I will put the stats instead.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Timid
171/x/100/162/100/167 (Pretty sure 252/252 spread)
Draco Meteor
Hyper Voice
Flamethrower
Protect

Click Hyper Voice. The only times I used Draco Meteor were against scary dragons and an annoying zapdos.

Infernape @ focus sash
Naive
151/151/91/130/81/176
Overheat
Close Combat
Fake out
Encore

I was very lazy and didn't teach it protect over encore.
While Salamence spams hyper voice, infernape provides fake out support and punishes rock, steel and most importantly, ice types. At 1 hp it becomes an attack magnet so protect would have been great, it also gets a blaze boosted overheat which is nice. The only times I used encore were to shut down protecting things when it was slightly preferable to a 90% overheat.

Serperior @ coba berry
Timid
151/x/116/126/115/181
Leaf storm
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power (ground)
Protect

This was nice against Chefs with lots of bulky water types and also scientists with lots of electrics. The reliance on leaf storm isn't great though.

Aegislash @ leftovers
Quiet
167/x/170/112/171/58
Shadow Ball
Flash Cannon
Wide Guard
King's Shield

This was just filler really. I chose it because it could switch into pretty much anything. Wide guard was useful against a trick room team using lots of rock slide and dazzling gleam.

The team has a lot a problems (notably nothing physical when infernape is down) but the lead was solid and I got this streak with relative ease. I think it could go far with the movesets fixed and some different choices in the back so I might refine it and come back to the streak in the future.

Edit: It's 157 now with a slightly adjusted team. I'll post the changes when I lose but they're really tiny. Proof:

RFTW-WWWW-WW48-7SVL

Last edited:
PLEASE try this out...hell, I'll pay you to get started on this.
Excellent work on the doubles team btw, if nothing else it gives you some impetus to try out Omastar and/or Gourgeist in other contexts.
I've started trying this. I've had two teams so far. The first used mat block greninja and my shell smash omastar alongside drizzle politoed. It was ok but didn't feel great.

Next I opted for a much more straightforward swift swim lead line up, essentially R Inanimate 's team. I foresaw an issue facing grass types, specifically abomasnow (even more specifically abomasnow 2) and that, along with Vileplume 3 finished that team off. For the second team I used clawitzer, gastrodon and azumarill in the back but I'm not sure that was the right choice.

It is difficult to find a way around copious grass types

I've started trying this. I've had two teams so far. The first used mat block greninja and my shell smash omastar alongside drizzle politoed. It was ok but didn't feel great.

Next I opted for a much more straightforward swift swim lead line up, essentially R Inanimate 's team. I foresaw an issue facing grass types, specifically abomasnow (even more specifically abomasnow 2) and that, along with Vileplume 3 finished that team off. For the second team I used clawitzer, gastrodon and azumarill in the back but I'm not sure that was the right choice.

It is difficult to find a way around copious grass types
Are you using exclusivly water types? Otherwise scizor likes the protection from fire types/moves and takes nothing from grass types ??
Cross your fingers for volcanion being alowed to be used in gen 7 maison facility!

Sadly and aggravatingly I am extremely certain that Volcanion will be banned. I would have loved to use plenty of those event pokes simply because they're cool, like Genesect or Victini.

Are you using exclusivly water types? Otherwise scizor likes the protection from fire types/moves and takes nothing from grass types ??
Cross your fingers for volcanion being alowed to be used in gen 7 maison facility!
Sadly and aggravatingly I am extremely certain that Volcanion will be banned. I would have loved to use plenty of those event pokes simply because they're cool, like Genesect or Victini.
I agree about volcanion being banned. I'm going to give it one more go. I'm going to create a TR team with a level 1 pokemon - probably poliwag. Just need to breed a few pokes first, including a slowpoke for a mega slowbro (complete with flamethrower)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)