Project OU Teambuilding Competition V9 (Done! See you all in Sun & Moon)

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Team 1 by MegaStarUniverse has won this teambuilding round. Congratulations, will be added to the hall of fame... eventually.

NEXT

ROUND 39:

/

If you are a pokemon nerd like me, you would remember the reveal glass which is the item that transform the genies into their therian forms and viceversa. Now, the reveal glass will be the focus of this next round. This teambuilding round consists of using tornadus OR thundurus less used forms (see the gifs for a clue). Landorus-I is banned so, lol, and everyone already use landorus-therian anyways :V

Teambuilding round lasts until Friday at 11:59 PM GMT -5 (Central time). Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
TRIPLE FLYING RAIN

I chose to build a rain team around this core. Their powerful stabs have 100% accuracy in the rain and the only rain setter in this metagame is Politoed (I think...). Politoed works really well with Swampert wich is a good sweeper. My dragon resistor was non-existent so I thought that Ferrothorn with rocks was my best choice. Then I noticed that keldeo gets a kill everytime he comes in the Latwins aren't the best counters when the rain is active... anyway I needed a defogger too, because the hazards gave me a lot of problems. As Yuma Tsukomo said (yeah the protagonist of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal): "a good player creates the card he needs, just believe in it." Why shouldn't it work with Pokemon??? Scrolling the pike list I found THE pokemon, also......Mantine! Mantine has got water absorb and Defog and it's a good check of keldeo!
Tornadus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 94 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Superpowah
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Last edited:

BIG G CHOPPA

Banned deucer.
Fear The Pert (<-- Not good at coming up with names sadly)

Ok so looking at this from scratch, I decided that i obviously wanted to go alongside a simple rain route. Since there would be no other type of team that they both would have good use on, well at least not that im aware of. Tornadus has prankster so decided to make it a rain setter, being able to provide rain up for pert to show some dominance. Hurricane has perfect accuracy in rain and provides obligatory stab. Focus blast is for exellent coverage and nails steels like ferro and tran in particular, which dont mind eating up hurricanes. Thundurus therian provides an ok electric switchin thanks to volt absorb and has that trollish 101 speed (shoutouts lando i). Which gets the jump on the 100 base speed tier, and thats nice. Went with the double dance set because it would be nice if the team had a wincon that hits hard. It's fine if focus blast is ran on thundy t over nasty plot so that it can nail ferrothorn, but its w/e honestly. Politoed is the ideal rain setter, like honestly a staple for rain lol. Primarily because of drizzle which allows mega pert, torn and ferro to utilize it. Mega pert can clean up lategame due to its solid bulk and how it hits hard under rain, bulky waters are problematic since they can scald burn but hey there is thundy t for that matter, along with ferro who just annoys them and can threaten with power whip. Needed a rocks setter so ferro fit the bill. General electric resist, checks some mons like gengar, zam, mega, azu, latis gardevoir and such. Basically its a good mon on rain teams as for the utility it provides. Now of course, rain needs a solid keld check, and since im using torn +thundy a defogger too. First thing that came to mind was latias. Being able to check keld is beneficial to the team overall. It can provide hazard control via defog, healing wish to mega pert so it can clean up, drop a few draco's and psyshock. While packing quite a punch. Not quite to sure if we had to build with both but its too late now, and if it isnt required then you could run like kingdra >thundy or torn.

Tornadus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-Therian @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish /Roost

The Iron Pinecone (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry/Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute
Basically I just stole the Johny Tots team, but I'll try and think about what he could possibly be thinking about when building this nonsense. Basically he threw 6 wincons on the same team and preyed that they would work. Just think about how much pressure must be on a defensive team facing this. If one wincon doesn't screw you over, the other 5 will!!! This is a pretty fun mindless HO that can catch people off guard with the obsene amount of wincons and has slapped blunder on the ladder on a multitude of occasions.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Tailwind

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic

So this is my Bulky Offense team that I ended up with consisting of the less used Incarnate form of Tornadus. The set I used was 3 attacks tailwind which was something I found in the Smogon Analysis for UU! I wanted to abuse priority Tailwind to sweep with mons while being able to keep up momentum throughout matches. So let's get into the team! Tornadus has trouble with steel types like and electric types because they prevent it from being able to spam Hurricanes and make it a prediction game. To alleviate pressure from Tornadus-I in this matchup I added Mamoswine which can really pressure them while being able to abuse Tailwind to get rid of things like Thundurus and Jirachi etc. and set up rocks. So team was looking nice and weak to hazards, dark types, and flying types so I added the beloved Diancie. My team had no switch-in to water types such as Keldeo and Azumarill while also being really weak to physical attackers such as M-Metagross and Lopunny as well as Sand Offense while being able to be Utility support with Spore. Although I had Tailwind, I felt like Jirachi was a necessity to switch-in to fairy and dragon type moves and provide momentum. It is always a good speed control option and win condition when Tailwind is not an option. Finally I added Rotom-W to finish the Volt-Turn core and help give momentum. It also provided me a check to BD Azu at +6 and fast Rotom-W ensures that Scizor will have a hard time to sweep while helping Tangrowth deal with Breloom and Bisharp. It also ensures that Landorus cannot win if Tornadus and Rotom-W are alive bar hax. It also was a secondary check to Sand Offense and switch-in to Volcanion that would suffice. Overall the team is fun and if anyone has any tips to make it better I will listen with open ears :D

Edit: Ok so my team revamp swaps Mamoswine and Rotom-W for Keldeo and Heatran. Heatran was the standard rocks to ensure that Clefable has a tough time. Scarf Landorus is good for speed control because Tailwind is not always going to be available. Keldeo helps vs. Chansey while also still checking Scizor. Fast Tran also ensures Scizor losing.

Last edited:

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Building this was really straight-forward. The only actual reason to use Torn-I is Prankster Tailwind, nearly every other set it can run is either super niche (Bulk Up WutFace) or outdone by Torn-T. Tailwind in and of itself isn't something you should base a team around, but it's nice in a pinch against opposing offensive teams, plus it's another way to play around Excadrill / rain / DD mons that might occasionally find an opportunity to set up. It's actually kind of nice to have an HO build that is almost never going to "just lose" to offensive threats once they've gotten to that point. Originally, I had planned on running Specs Keldeo + Band Terrakion and steamrolling people with brute force, but being forced out by resists gave up too many turns and required me to build something with a legitimate defensive backbone. Instead I switched Terrakion over to Mega Diancie and made Keldeo LO CM, which is hilariously powerful and is nice for punishing people trying to stall out Tailwind turns by switching between resists or spamming Protect. Lando-T is kinda needed for rocks and provides an actual Excadrill check, plus it's nice for baiting fast Electrics like Mega Manectric and Raikou. Heatran ganks Slowbro and other bulky waters, which is super helpful for Keldeo and co. Lastly Serperior is there because literally nothing else on the team can actually deal with Water types, with Rotom-W, Scarf Keldeo, and Azumarill being seriously problematic if they get in. btw Keldeo doesn't have to run scald bye

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice teams everyone :) just passing by to say that deadline has been extended until Wednesday June 8th. I have been pretty busy with life and stuff so in the meantime you can post a team.

This extension may be intentional... or not.

MrAldo

Hey
Guess this wasnt the most appealing round after all so lets get moving ASAP

Voting Time!

Team 1

Tornadus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Substitute
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 94 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Superpowah
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
I chose to build a rain team around this core. Their powerful stabs have 100% accuracy in the rain and the only rain setter in this metagame is Politoed (I think...). Politoed works really well with Swampert wich is a good sweeper. My dragon resistor was non-existent so I thought that Ferrothorn with rocks was my best choice. Then I noticed that keldeo gets a kill everytime he comes in the Latwins aren't the best counters when the rain is active... anyway I needed a defogger too, because the hazards gave me a lot of problems. As Yuma Tsukomo said (yeah the protagonist of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal): "a good player creates the card he needs, just believe in it." Why shouldn't it work with Pokemon??? Scrolling the pike list I found THE pokemon, also......Mantine! Mantine has got water absorb and Defog and it's a good check of keldeo!

Team 2

Tornadus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Swampert @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish /Roost

The Iron Pinecone (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry/Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
Ok so looking at this from scratch, I decided that i obviously wanted to go alongside a simple rain route. Since there would be no other type of team that they both would have good use on, well at least not that im aware of. Tornadus has prankster so decided to make it a rain setter, being able to provide rain up for pert to show some dominance. Hurricane has perfect accuracy in rain and provides obligatory stab. Focus blast is for exellent coverage and nails steels like ferro and tran in particular, which dont mind eating up hurricanes. Thundurus therian provides an ok electric switchin thanks to volt absorb and has that trollish 101 speed (shoutouts lando i). Which gets the jump on the 100 base speed tier, and thats nice. Went with the double dance set because it would be nice if the team had a wincon that hits hard. It's fine if focus blast is ran on thundy t over nasty plot so that it can nail ferrothorn, but its w/e honestly. Politoed is the ideal rain setter, like honestly a staple for rain lol. Primarily because of drizzle which allows mega pert, torn and ferro to utilize it. Mega pert can clean up lategame due to its solid bulk and how it hits hard under rain, bulky waters are problematic since they can scald burn but hey there is thundy t for that matter, along with ferro who just annoys them and can threaten with power whip. Needed a rocks setter so ferro fit the bill. General electric resist, checks some mons like gengar, zam, mega, azu, latis gardevoir and such. Basically its a good mon on rain teams as for the utility it provides. Now of course, rain needs a solid keld check, and since im using torn +thundy a defogger too. First thing that came to mind was latias. Being able to check keld is beneficial to the team overall. It can provide hazard control via defog, healing wish to mega pert so it can clean up, drop a few draco's and psyshock. While packing quite a punch. Not quite to sure if we had to build with both but its too late now, and if it isnt required then you could run like kingdra >thundy or torn.

Team 3

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute
Basically I just stole the Johny Tots team, but I'll try and think about what he could possibly be thinking about when building this nonsense. Basically he threw 6 wincons on the same team and preyed that they would work. Just think about how much pressure must be on a defensive team facing this. If one wincon doesn't screw you over, the other 5 will!!! This is a pretty fun mindless HO that can catch people off guard with the obsene amount of wincons and has slapped blunder on the ladder on a multitude of occasions.

Team 4

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Tailwind

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic
So this is my Bulky Offense team that I ended up with consisting of the less used Incarnate form of Tornadus. The set I used was 3 attacks tailwind which was something I found in the Smogon Analysis for UU! I wanted to abuse priority Tailwind to sweep with mons while being able to keep up momentum throughout matches. So let's get into the team! Tornadus has trouble with steel types like and electric types because they prevent it from being able to spam Hurricanes and make it a prediction game. To alleviate pressure from Tornadus-I in this matchup I added Mamoswine which can really pressure them while being able to abuse Tailwind to get rid of things like Thundurus and Jirachi etc. and set up rocks. So team was looking nice and weak to hazards, dark types, and flying types so I added the beloved Diancie. My team had no switch-in to water types such as Keldeo and Azumarill while also being really weak to physical attackers such as M-Metagross and Lopunny as well as Sand Offense while being able to be Utility support with Spore. Although I had Tailwind, I felt like Jirachi was a necessity to switch-in to fairy and dragon type moves and provide momentum. It is always a good speed control option and win condition when Tailwind is not an option. Finally I added Rotom-W to finish the Volt-Turn core and help give momentum. It also provided me a check to BD Azu at +6 and fast Rotom-W ensures that Scizor will have a hard time to sweep while helping Tangrowth deal with Breloom and Bisharp. It also ensures that Landorus cannot win if Tornadus and Rotom-W are alive bar hax. It also was a secondary check to Sand Offense and switch-in to Volcanion that would suffice. Overall the team is fun and if anyone has any tips to make it better I will listen with open ears :D

Edit: Ok so my team revamp swaps Mamoswine and Rotom-W for Keldeo and Heatran. Heatran was the standard rocks to ensure that Clefable has a tough time. Scarf Landorus is good for speed control because Tailwind is not always going to be available. Keldeo helps vs. Chansey while also still checking Scizor. Fast Tran also ensures Scizor losing.

Team 5

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Power Herb
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Serperior @ Lum Berry
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
Building this was really straight-forward. The only actual reason to use Torn-I is Prankster Tailwind, nearly every other set it can run is either super niche (Bulk Up WutFace) or outdone by Torn-T. Tailwind in and of itself isn't something you should base a team around, but it's nice in a pinch against opposing offensive teams, plus it's another way to play around Excadrill / rain / DD mons that might occasionally find an opportunity to set up. It's actually kind of nice to have an HO build that is almost never going to "just lose" to offensive threats once they've gotten to that point. Originally, I had planned on running Specs Keldeo + Band Terrakion and steamrolling people with brute force, but being forced out by resists gave up too many turns and required me to build something with a legitimate defensive backbone. Instead I switched Terrakion over to Mega Diancie and made Keldeo LO CM, which is hilariously powerful and is nice for punishing people trying to stall out Tailwind turns by switching between resists or spamming Protect. Lando-T is kinda needed for rocks and provides an actual Excadrill check, plus it's nice for baiting fast Electrics like Mega Manectric and Raikou. Heatran ganks Slowbro and other bulky waters, which is super helpful for Keldeo and co. Lastly Serperior is there because literally nothing else on the team can actually deal with Water types, with Rotom-W, Scarf Keldeo, and Azumarill being seriously problematic if they get in. btw Keldeo doesn't have to run scald bye

Voting time lasts until Friday at 10:00 PMG GMT -5 (Central time). May the best one win.

Jesus, just noticed how similar most teams are, meh, w/e.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)