Media One Piece (spoilers!)

but why would aokiji join the revolutionaries? the revolutionaries' mission is to essentially beat the wg, and as an ex-marine he pretty much worked for the wg, why would he harbor any resentment towards them? the revolutionaries on the other hand were people who aokiji would have used to see as enemies (demonstrated through fujitora vs sabo). if anything, the revolutionaries would be the ones aokiji would want to beat. the only way i can conceivably imagine aokiji joining them is if either there is/was something on the down low going on between aokiji and bartholomew kuma, or if he wants to infiltrate them and take them down.

If anything, I would think that he seems disgusted by some of the methods of the World Gov (shown when he lets Robin go, fighting Akainu over the Fleet Admiral title). Plus, I can't say he would be overly fond of Blackbeard either seeing as Blackbeard openly defied the world government and causes panic.

that's true, i suppose i could see some grand endgame at the end of one piece with aokiji fujitora coby and a few others demolishing the old marines and wg system and starting a new less corrupt version of marines that deals in true justice rather than akainu's 'absolute' justice

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The best part of One Piece is there aren't really "good guys," there are factions, protagonists, and antagonists. How much property damage do you think the Straw Hats have done? They're still pirates, but pretty high on the benevolent end of the benevolent/malevolent spectrum.

The World Government and especially the Celestial Dragons are absolutely terrible people with no redeeming qualities. They make BLACKBEARD look like a decent human being by comparison because BB plots attacks (usually on people that can actually defend themselves like Whitebeard, the Revos, Navy, etc.) to achieve a goal, the CDs just off commoners like they're swatting bugs. The most satisfying moment in series was Luffy Facepunching Charloss.

The Navy is basically the WG's tool - but a lot of the people in the Navy aren't too fond of that arrangement. This is especially true when it comes to the WG's favored outlaws like the Shibukai and Yonko. But hey Akainu, give us another speech about "absolute" justice.

Which brings me to my theory on Aokiji/Kuzan: Given his alternatives, he's probably an agent for the Revolutionaries who is trying to infiltrate the BB pirates in order to topple the World Government.

I can definitely see Aokiji wanting to topple the WG, but how would infiltrating the bb pirates achieve that end? I think that when this whole thing between Aokiji and the WG goes down it will be a matter of circumstance rather than a planned outcome, with maybe Aokiji, Fujitora, Coby, Smoker, and Tashigi (and maybe Green Bull, I wouldn't be surprised if he's another marine against Akainu's 'absolute' justice) all realizing that the marines are going about the whole justice thing all wrong, and from their the New Marines are founded. Or something along those lines, I don't know. I'm just really skeptical about Aokiji being a revolutionary, as cool as it would be it just doesn't seem to coincide with the direction I feel the story is going.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looks like Sanji's luck isn't so terrible after all, lol.

Luffy is a terrible cook and a terrible manager. If it weren't for Usopp and then Sanji he'd have been dead a hundred times over from starvation by now.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Deck Knight

Lady Charlotte Purin looks strikingly similar to the character introduced in chapter 651. I have a feeling Sanji isn't gonna be too thrilled about the whole third eye thing... (The eye is likely being hidden in the most recent photograph by her bangs.) That being said, Purin doesn't seem to be enthused by Big Mom either, so it's possible she is also being forced into the arrangement. It's likely that Purin will end up being some sort of ally.

Deck Knight

Deck Knight

Lady Charlotte Purin looks strikingly similar to the character introduced in chapter 651. I have a feeling Sanji isn't gonna be too thrilled about the whole third eye thing... (The eye is likely being hidden in the most recent photograph by her bangs.) That being said, Purin doesn't seem to be enthused by Big Mom either, so it's possible she is also being forced into the arrangement. It's likely that Purin will end up being some sort of ally.
Considering how Sanji was going gaga over mermaids, I think he's more amenable to err, nonstandard human female features than you'd think. Sanji seems very much someone who needs to be reminded "my eyes are up here."

Impressive eye on that catch though. If it's the same character the fact Oda went back to that just shows how much work he's put into this story over time. That was 173 chapters ago.

Glad her character introduction wasn't random after all. Now with Stelly showing up my hopes of Revos's going down on WG is massively hyped, Stelly vs. Sabo y'all.

Also, I'm glad they showed us the gap between Yonko and the "Worst" generation post time skip, it's a miracle that never before 2 Yonkos teamed up and owned the world of One Piece.

Deck Knight

Glad her character introduction wasn't random after all. Now with Stelly showing up my hopes of Revos's going down on WG is massively hyped, Stelly vs. Sabo y'all.

Also, I'm glad they showed us the gap between Yonko and the "Worst" generation post time skip, it's a miracle that never before 2 Yonkos teamed up and owned the world of One Piece.
Well, the Yonko before Blackbeard was Whitebeard, who was allied with Shanks. Shanks/WB weren't the World Domination types and could keep Kaido/Big Mom in check if they started pulling anything. So basically Blackbeard replacing Whitebeard has thrown the world into more chaos. Which is oddly convenient for Blackbeard, don't you think?

Well, the Yonko before Blackbeard was Whitebeard, who was allied with Shanks. Shanks/WB weren't the World Domination types and could keep Kaido/Big Mom in check if they started pulling anything. So basically Blackbeard replacing Whitebeard has thrown the world into more chaos. Which is oddly convenient for Blackbeard, don't you think?
Yup I think the mutual respect WB and Shanks had along with their shared idea of what a pirate should be has helped keep things in order. Shiki was the one who actually saw the potential of Yonkos teaming up because we know now and then that the WG can only realistically handle one at a time and still be able to stand up straight.

Blackbeard now is taking a different approach, he is powering up his underlings with the powers of other Yonko crewmembers.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sanji was confirmed to be the third son! (way earlier, back when his membrship of the Vinsmokes was first discussed)

Overall great chapter imo. I've heard rattlings of Reiju being a poison moth Zoan. that'd be pretty interesting! Guess the Germa may be another Royal family for Luffy to befriend ;)

Also WAY interested in Jinbe's role - maybe the fishman will end up being in the Grand Fleet rather than Jinbe actually joining the SHs? I'm really hoping Carrot is a new nakama..... love her and we need another girl

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay, so I have been having a conversation with LB. Based on a few things in this chapter, I have a feeling we know what Big Mom's power is...

This was the first scene that stood out to me as odd. Why does everything have a face? I think the answer to that lies in the "background" for this scene (a hellish tea party is about to begin!). What do little girls do at tea parties? They pretend their dolls are real people capable of holding conversations/moving.

This leads me to believe that Big Mom's power is the ability to animate inanimate/non-sentient objects. While it is more of a stretch, it's even possible that her "daughters" are similar to Pinocchio in that they are dolls that have been animated into real people. It's fitting that in Pinocchio's story, Geppetto refers to Pinocchio as "son," just as Big Mom refers to Pudding as "daughter." Pudding seems a little too real, but its possible that Big Mom's other fifty offspring are animated dolls/puppets, which would also explain how she's capable of "birthing" so many of them. (I mean, really, who would hit that?)

Also I got tons of beauty and the beast vibes from the ingredient collection pages (read the page in the same rhythm as the song, and tell me it doesn't fit perfectly). This is also fitting if that really is where the inspiration came from.

Deck Knight

So basically TotLand is One Piece's response to Nightmare Fuel "It's A Small World." Everything is supposed to be cute and cuddly and unifying - but it's actually a distorted hellscape.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, so I have been having a conversation with LB. Based on a few things in this chapter, I have a feeling we know what Big Mom's power is...

This was the first scene that stood out to me as odd. Why does everything have a face? I think the answer to that lies in the "background" for this scene (a hellish tea party is about to begin!). What do little girls do at tea parties? They pretend their dolls are real people capable of holding conversations/moving.

This leads me to believe that Big Mom's power is the ability to animate inanimate/non-sentient objects. While it is more of a stretch, it's even possible that her "daughters" are similar to Pinocchio in that they are dolls that have been animated into real people. It's fitting that in Pinocchio's story, Geppetto refers to Pinocchio as "son," just as Big Mom refers to Pudding as "daughter." Pudding seems a little too real, but its possible that Big Mom's other fifty offspring are animated dolls/puppets, which would also explain how she's capable of "birthing" so many of them. (I mean, really, who would hit that?)

Also I got tons of beauty and the beast vibes from the ingredient collection pages (read the page in the same rhythm as the song, and tell me it doesn't fit perfectly). This is also fitting if that really is where the inspiration came from.
I'll agree with Beauty & The Beast theme to the entire arc, it's musical, whimsical, and down-right threatening. Though I think Big Mom's powers might be the opposite of what you suggested. If we remember Beauty & The Beast at all then his servants were turned into their clockwork and dinnerware counterparts. I'm going to go on that basis that Big Mom turns people from Totland into these creatures using the Tea Party as the lure. Most likely I'd assume the heads of these towns of Totland get invited, and then she turns them into moving inanimate objects which obey her control.

EDIT:
this furthers why it's "a Tea Party from Hell," there is nothing scary about a tea party, there should never be. Unless the host is turning the patrons into, as you called them, dolls.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My question is where Lola will fit into all of this. Obviously her sister is a member of Capone's crew, and it seems like Big Mom is ... her mom. Aldaron and I talked about Jinbe fighting Luffy this arc before he eventually joins... I can't see Luffy actually fighting (and coming close to beating) a yonkou at this point, but Oda wouldn't throw in Lola's sisters for nothing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)