WCop XI General Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tele

a quality human being
Team italy is organizing a big haxball tournament in order to pick the final roster for this year's smogon world cup. Feel free to join at www.haxball.com if you think you are decent. At the moment we are looking for a good goalkeeper and a temporary sub to our left-winger who injured his index finger yesterday.
Thanks for your attention.

So I live in US Central but I will be in Vietnam all June, which team will I be in? I really don't care as long as I can participate.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
I really do not get how you can implement the bull rules about IP, and then conveniently ignore them with Mcm. I'm voting in the UK referendum to remain in the EU and am not eligible, but a Belgian can play for France? And how can you apply this new cultural thing to areas like Ireland and Belgium, but not say stuff like New York is culturally a part of US East.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I really do not get how you can implement the bull rules about IP, and then conveniently ignore them with Mcm. I'm voting in the UK referendum to remain in the EU and am not eligible, but a Belgian can play for France? And how can you apply this new cultural thing to areas like Ireland and Belgium, but not say stuff like New York is culturally a part of US East.
It's all the more ridiculous when the people that have complained the most about the eligibility rules not being strict enough are from team France :D

nobody on team France complained about McMeghan not being on the team. we even had a roster ready without him since we weren't even sure about his motivation (he didn't play since SPL and disappeared from every chan in relation w/ pokémon). the only thing we (or I) complained about is the fact that it would have made no sense if TDs decided to forbid McM from playing for us while Bedschibaer who lives in Austria can play for team Germany.

Germany, France and U.K. basically received the exact same treatment but it's funny to see how you guys are only targeting France and especially McMeghan who didn't even participate to TDs discussions...

also don't use ":D" when everyone can feel the madness behind your post DUnk.

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
I'm not targeting France, I'm targeting the TDs for not making sense. They're applying the rules arbitrarily, and in a way that does not make sense to anyone familiar with the concept of "World Cups".

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm not targeting France, I'm targeting the TDs for not making sense. They're applying the rules arbitrarily, and in a way that does not make sense to anyone familiar with the concept of "World Cups".
We apply the rules how they best fit our userbase. We needed stricter rules to start to fix the multitude of issues of "eligibility" and team switching that has plagued WCoP for the past 10+ years, so our conclusion was an IP-based eligibility and the removal of a weakest eligibility. From there, we can change or flex the rules to better fit the userbase to allow for unique situations that affect certain users, and represent regions that make the most sense for our userbase (hence why an entire Team Asia exists, and not a Team India or whatever).

All of your posts have been petty, bitchy, whiny, and unhelpful from the start, with almost no actual arguments against why we shouldn't be doing what we've been doing other than because it doesn't fit your specific situation of living outside of your country for an extended period of time. There's nothing arbitrary about allowing people from relatively tiny countries, with an extremely long cultural history and actual specific and defined locations for how this rule is applied, from joining the teams they're culturally close to, rather than forcing them to play for Team Europe.

Sorry you're personally shit out of luck bud, that's just how the world works sometimes. Zeb gave you a pretty significant response to your prior complaints, and you didn't or couldn't argue against anything that he replied with, so I really don't know what your issue is, but it's getting old real quick.

Aberforth

Ubers Leader
I didn't because, despite my grievances with them, at least they were going to be applied equally. Now, its a different matter, because in this ruling, players outside of countries still get to play for them despite not being eligible under the rules I had previously complained about (which are still shit considering the long term effect they have on teams Asia and Afrabs). I was pissed before at the IP locking, now I'm even more so that despite the IP locking, there are exceptions that seem to be made arbitrarily, that just happen to be favourable to a couple select well known users. The whole cultural similarity thing is quite ridiculous, especially since it only benefits those who these rules were targeted towards in the first place.

The unique situations aspect of your post was actually something Zebraiken specifically argued should NOT be implemented in his response to me. And if it wasn't, I'd have no grounds for further complaints. But that's not happened, the unique situations thing has been adopted and is implemented randomly specifically to benefit a couple of teams. And sorry, I tend to get angry when people try to feed me bullshit about why its fine to be unfair in decisions that are meant to be fair for everyone.

E: As for what to do instead, how about not deciding to make exceptions to the rules you decided upon in the first place that you know are only being made to benefit a few specific users.

Last edited:

porco dio

Banned deucer.
Why not just make
Team Germany -> Team Germany and Austria
Team France -> Team France and Belgium
Team UK -> Team UK and Ireland
Then you can apply the rules without making exceptions.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Why not just make
Team Germany -> Team Germany and Austria
Team France -> Team France and Belgium
Team UK -> Team UK and Ireland
Then you can apply the rules without making exceptions.
That is basically the idea.

They are not exceptions, what we did was changing those teams to include a small country that is culturally practically the same.

Maybe I did not explain myself well enough. They are NOT exceptions.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
nobody on team France complained about McMeghan not being on the team. we even had a roster ready without him since we weren't even sure about his motivation (he didn't play since SPL and disappeared from every chan in relation w/ pokémon). the only thing we (or I) complained about is the fact that it would have made no sense if TDs decided to forbid McM from playing for us while Bedschibaer who lives in Austria can play for team Germany.

Germany, France and U.K. basically received the exact same treatment but it's funny to see how you guys are only targeting France and especially McMeghan who didn't even participate to TDs discussions...

also don't use ":D" when everyone can feel the madness behind your post DUnk.
I don't have anything against France (or McMeghan), and if you knew me, you would know I am just as opposed to other teams doing the same, and if I had been involved in a serious discussion about it, I would have brought up the other examples. I am just referring to the fact that it is ironic to see this decision, considering that historically, France players have been very vocal on their opposition to teams bypassing elegibility rules.

As for 'expanding' teams or whatever, yeah sure, I don't see the point of having Team Europe, but whatever.

As for 'expanding' teams or whatever, yeah sure, I don't see the point of having Team Europe, but whatever.
So there should be some countries left out like Norway ? I'd like to remind to you that without team Europe, a large part of countries would not be represented. Europe is not only Spain + UK + France + Germany & Italy. There are a lot of other countries.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
So there should be some countries left out like Norway ? I'd like to remind to you that without team Europe, a large part of countries would not be represented. Europe is not only Spain + UK + France + Germany. There are a lot of other countries.
My point is that if other countries are integrated on Spain/UK/France/etc, there is not much of a reason to have a Team Europe, especially considering that Europe is the successor of Team Benelux, and that the country that has provided the biggest amount of players to Europe has been Belgium.

Oh by the way, isn't this a bit contradictory?

That is basically the idea.

They are not exceptions, what we did was changing those teams to include a small country that is culturally practically the same.

Maybe I did not explain myself well enough. They are NOT exceptions.
Also teams France and Germany will NOT have priority unless the player played in that team in the past.
Seems like you are treating these as exceptions to me.

Last edited:
My point is that if other countries are integrated on Spain/UK/France/etc, there is not much of a reason to have a Team Europe

United Kingdom + Ireland (language: English)
Germany + Austria + German Switzerland + Liechtenstein (language: German)
France + South Belgium + Romandy (language: French)
Italy + South Switzerland (language: Italian)

Spain
Greece
not much a reason to have a team Europe

United Kingdom + Ireland (language: English)
Germany + Austria + German Switzerland + Liechtenstein (language: German)
France + South Belgium + Romandy (language: French)
Italy + South Switzerland (language: Italian)

Spain
Greece
not much a reason to have a team Europe
Not necessarily taking a stance here but doesn't you listing the countries which are similar lingually and can be grouped together, strengthen DU's point about not having team Europe rather than arguing against it?

Not necessarily taking a stance here but doesn't you listing the countries which are similar lingually and can be grouped together, strengthen DU's point about not having team Europe rather than arguing against it?
that whole green part on that map are countries he didn't group together

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Historically the main reason why players from Austria, Switzerland and Luxemburg played for team Germany (and I guess it's the same for francophone belgiums) was because they all competend in the pokefans.net curcuit and therefore were part of the German pokemon comunity. And the team Germany was basically representing the German comunity rather then the country of Germany.
Still I understand if people want to change that and understand your reasoning.

On another note: Can we get Alsace and East Prussia please? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)