Hong Kong league cancelled due to stupid protest against Pikachu's new name

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
http://kotaku.com/hong-kong-pokemon-fans-protest-pikachus-name-change-1779471301

As a former moderator of Hong Kong Pokemon Alliance, I hereby report that although The Pokemon Company had plans to hold National Championships in Hong Kong, the tournament is now cancelled because of this stupid protest.

As such, Hong Kong will be stripped off from holding Nationals and entering World Championships.
No one will be representing Hong Kong this year in World Championships.

Hong Kong Pokemon Alliance hereby declare that they never supported this protest.

EDIT: Contestants who earned near or over 200 CP are currently very frustrated.

Cresselia~~

This is retarded. Period. It doesn't do justice at all to those contestants.
It gets worse that people who protested aren't even "real" Pokemon fans, but are being used by a political group who are trying to turn this into a political issue.
We are calling it "being hijacked by a political group".

By "real" Pokemon fans, we (Hong Kong Pokemon Alliance) mean people who buy the games and turn up in tournaments.

The protesters totally don't know how much work one has to put into VGC. How much effort needed to earn all those CP, breed all those Pokemon and train all those Pokemon.
There are so many people in Hong Kong who have already earned more than 200 CP, or are close to 200 CP, and ALL of them THOUGHT they were going to World Championships.

Hong Kong league isn't THAT small.
Over 100 turned up in Regionals last Sunday.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was honestly astonished that you weren't on the side of preserving Cantonese, what with all your rants about the evil Chinese mainland doing this exact same kind of stuff to Hong Kong.

Cresselia~~

I was honestly astonished that you weren't on the side of preserving Cantonese, what with all your rants about the evil Chinese mainland doing this exact same kind of stuff to Hong Kong.
I don't see how a commercial decision can politically influence stuff in Hong Kong. Pokemon is from Japan, not China. And Nintendo has no reason to oppress Hong Kong due to China-- Nintendo doesn't even sell games in China at all.

But apparently these 20 people think that it's a political issue.

Do you have a link to any press release or statement by Pokemon stating the national championships had been cancelled? I haven't found a single press release or official statement by Pokemon specifying the Hong Kong National Championships have been cancelled which seems a little strange. Every article I've seen has just talked about protests with no mention of Pokemon taking any official action.

I don't want to come off as maliciously skeptical with this post, just curious as to why the other portion of the information you're sharing hasn't made the news either.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't see how a commercial decision can politically influence stuff in Hong Kong. Pokemon is from Japan, not China. And Nintendo has no reason to oppress Hong Kong due to China-- Nintendo doesn't even sell games in China at all.
That's naive. Clearly Nintendo sells to China NOW according to the article you linked, and as part of that China has an influence on how those games are sold. For instance, because we sell operating systems to China that has an impact on how they are sold in America, a practice criticized for holding back technological innovation but nevertheless inevitable.

Even if the Chinese government didn't force Nintendo to do this, they might not have understood the implications of requesting a single language copy.

But apparently these 20 people think that it's a political issue.
YOU linked an article saying 6000.

Everyone who is commenting and saying thinks like "woah this is dumb", I'd advise you to disregard the carrot on a stick for one moment. Obviously you understand and like Pokemon, but you should contemplate for at least a second that, just maybe, this is a multifacted issue and perhaps language politics isn't less important than who gets to play a video game this year. We're not even talking about a dead language, Cantonese is used by 59 million people. That's over 7 times as many people as live in Quebec, where they'd be rioting if someone didn't sell them Pokemon in French.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Honest question: Pokemon Sun and Moon will be translated into both Traditional and Simplified Chinese, associated with both Mandarin and Cantonese. What exactly is stopping Hong Kong players from reading it in Cantonese?

Also, think for a second. Put yourself into Game Freak's shoes. They're working on a Chinese translation for their game, something not done before. No doubt, they have to spend money on it, like any other translation. This is why Pokemon is sold in English in places like Denmark and Sweden - Game Freak does not believe they would make enough money off of translations into Danish and Swedish to justify the expenditures for an official translation. Do you honestly think that they would change the name of one Pokemon just for Cantonese speakers? That would involve a lot of reprogramming - and therefore more money spent, over, I remind you, ONE POKEMON'S NAME. And let's not forget the fact that Mandarin speakers would most likely want to keep this name as it sounds similar to "Pikachu" in Mandarin, so changing the name to accommodate Cantonese speakers would likely alienate Mandarin speakers (which I remind you has more native speakers than any other language in the world). And once again, the games should still be readable if you're a Cantonese speaker.

The whole thing to me seems like a child's tantrum disguised as language politics. Nobody is arguing that the Danish and Swedish languages are being erased by the Pokemon games not being officially translated into these languages, and I bring that up for one simple reason: Those two are entire languages, while the gripe over Pikachu's name in HK is over ONE FUCKING POKEMON'S NAME.

Edit: Also I don't get von's analogy with Quebec, because, once again, you're comparing a Pokemon's name to an entire language.

Last edited:
Why are they making a big deal over Pikachu's Cantonese name again? Are people this over-reliant on nostalgia to cause shit for the people who mind their own business?

This is very different from something like English/French; Cantonese and Mandarin are dialects of the same language; they have no relation to anything written. The game IS available in both traditional and simplified Chinese (which are different ways of writing the language), So essentially, Hong Kong WILL get a version that they can read in their own language; it's just that for phonetically transliterated names they will favor Mandarin over Cantonese.

And yeah, while I respect that some people have their own opinion about these changes, it's monumentally stupid that players who don't care about all this are suffering because of it. I really hope that this debacle doesn't have any lasting effect on the HK player community.

Cresselia~~

RegalStar:
Don't you dare say that Cantonese is a dialect! It's not. It's a language.
China is trying to call Cantonese a dialect due to political reasons.

The definition of a language / dialect is that a language cannot be understood without learning, whilst dialect can be understood without learning.
The difference between Cantonese and Mandarin is actually more than Spanish and Portuguese, or Norwegian and Swedish.
It is by definition a language.

Also, UN lists Cantonese as a LANGUAGE.

Mind you, saying that Cantonese is a dialect is downright OFFENSIVE! Because you are belittling someone's language.

That's naive. Clearly Nintendo sells to China NOW according to the article you linked, and as part of that China has an influence on how those games are sold. For instance, because we sell operating systems to China that has an impact on how they are sold in America, a practice criticized for holding back technological innovation but nevertheless inevitable.

Even if the Chinese government didn't force Nintendo to do this, they might not have understood the implications of requesting a single language copy.

YOU linked an article saying 6000.

Everyone who is commenting and saying thinks like "woah this is dumb", I'd advise you to disregard the carrot on a stick for one moment. Obviously you understand and like Pokemon, but you should contemplate for at least a second that, just maybe, this is a multifacted issue and perhaps language politics isn't less important than who gets to play a video game this year. We're not even talking about a dead language, Cantonese is used by 59 million people. That's over 7 times as many people as live in Quebec, where they'd be rioting if someone didn't sell them Pokemon in French.
The article is wrong. Pokemon Sun Moon is not going to be sold in China.
The article has quite a lot of false information.
BBC is a better source, but at the time I posted the article, BBC hadn't got an article yet.

No no no , that 6000 people who signed the petition were not thinking it's a political issue.
They were people who want to preserve Cantonese names for the first 151 Pokemon.
I signed that petition too.

Honest question: Pokemon Sun and Moon will be translated into both Traditional and Simplified Chinese, associated with both Mandarin and Cantonese. What exactly is stopping Hong Kong players from reading it in Cantonese?

Also, think for a second. Put yourself into Game Freak's shoes. They're working on a Chinese translation for their game, something not done before. No doubt, they have to spend money on it, like any other translation. This is why Pokemon is sold in English in places like Denmark and Sweden - Game Freak does not believe they would make enough money off of translations into Danish and Swedish to justify the expenditures for an official translation. Do you honestly think that they would change the name of one Pokemon just for Cantonese speakers? That would involve a lot of reprogramming - and therefore more money spent, over, I remind you, ONE POKEMON'S NAME. And let's not forget the fact that Mandarin speakers would most likely want to keep this name as it sounds similar to "Pikachu" in Mandarin, so changing the name to accommodate Cantonese speakers would likely alienate Mandarin speakers (which I remind you has more native speakers than any other language in the world). And once again, the games should still be readable if you're a Cantonese speaker.

The whole thing to me seems like a child's tantrum disguised as language politics. Nobody is arguing that the Danish and Swedish languages are being erased by the Pokemon games not being officially translated into these languages, and I bring that up for one simple reason: Those two are entire languages, while the gripe over Pikachu's name in HK is over ONE FUCKING POKEMON'S NAME.

Edit: Also I don't get von's analogy with Quebec, because, once again, you're comparing a Pokemon's name to an entire language.
As I said before, it's not the fans that are getting burtthurt.
The protest is from a POLITICAL action group who are trying to turn this into a political issue, in reality it shouldn't.

But there are some Pokemon fans who are angry simply due to nostalgia reasons.

Although I signed the petition for keeping Cantonese names, I wasn't angry with the name change. Though I think it's important for Nintendo's image.

Last edited:
I apologize; I haven't really done my research on what a language/dialect is. But yeah, Cantonese is different from Mandarin. Stlil, as far as I know people in HK still uses standard Chinese for most formal writing, so that my point of people there will be getting a version that they can read still stands.

Cresselia~~

I apologize; I haven't really done my research on what a language/dialect is. But yeah, Cantonese is different from Mandarin. Stlil, as far as I know people in HK still uses standard Chinese for most formal writing, so that my point of people there will be getting a version that they can read still stands.
Ah I see.

Yes, they will understand. But the main problem is, the Pokemon names do not sound right in Cantonese, because they are translated without considering Cantonese pronunciations. Not only some POkemon names sound horrible, some are even very difficult to pronounce.
Jigglypuff's new Chinese name even sounds the same with foul words in Cantonese.

It gets worse that people who protested aren't even "real" Pokemon fans, but are being used by a political group who are trying to turn this into a political issue.
We are calling it "being hijacked by a political group".

By "real" Pokemon fans, we (Hong Kong Pokemon Alliance) mean people who buy the games and turn up in tournaments.

The protesters totally don't know how much work one has to put into VGC. How much effort needed to earn all those CP, breed all those Pokemon and train all those Pokemon.
There are so many people in Hong Kong who have already earned more than 200 CP, or are close to 200 CP, and ALL of them THOUGHT they were going to World Championships.

Hong Kong league isn't THAT small.
Over 100 turned up in Regionals last Sunday.
I bet you that political group in question thinks that it's just a silly children's game, and that the people who put all of that effort into getting CP and breeding/soft resetting and training competitive Pokemon are retarded manchildren.

It's sad, really. Even then, they are using a motherfucking children's game just for their political gain. It's just another reminder of how people will do anything just for their own political beliefs, no matter how retarded or greedy it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)