Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yikes, Solgaleo and Lunala have the most trollish typings ever. We have the Pokemon of the Sun, weak to Fire-types, and the Pokemon of the Moon, 4x weak to Dark-type moves x_x.

Solagelo doesn't actually have a bad typing, I don't mind that as a potential Xerneas check or something. Lunaala's typing though... sheesh, I hope Moongeist Beem and its typing are good enough to make up for that bummer of a typing, especially since having a Multiscale Clone is so good!

On the bright side though, the new locales look pretty fantastic, and I love the Rotom-dex!

To be honest, I really love Rotom's Pokédex form(e). I wonder if it will be playable; that is the question.

EDIT: Solgaleo and Lunala's type combinations are quite ironic.

So, it looks like the diamond from the titles seems to replace the Key Stone needed for Mega Evolution, judging by the armwear of the boy and the girl. I doubt they're going to drop mega evolution altogether, so it seems like they've inferred that what's coming next builds on megas as they are now, or is at least thematically compatible enough to allow for the new item to activate both mega evolutions and what they're planning for this generation.

Ashes of the Past had me wishing for a Porygon in my dex, but Rotom is just as good, I suppose. More kid-friendly and smiley than cold and precise.

So, something new to point out already:In the last trailer, we could glean that there were no longer "battle circles". However that was the case in a coupe battles in X and Y, but not the whole game. So it was possible that was just showing the first battle and that they would still be there.
From them being missing here as well, is it basically confirmed this region will be free of them?

I believe so.

Don't fear, Lunala fans, Shadow Shield could always be a Dark or Ghost immunizing ability!

Or, it could be another Clear Body clone.
Its a multiscale clone

I looked at the website and the avatar choice page was there, and i realized that the boy and girl portraits are together, so its possible that we will not have the awkward are you a girl or a boy thing

Also to clarify on the QR Code thing, its for only "seeing" pokemon for the dex

... Lunala looks beautiful, but... Psychic/Ghost. That'll be the same suffering Hoopa had. I only hope Shadow Shield will be something.

And Solgaleo not being Fire-type, but Psychic/Steel. Oh the massive Irony....

As much love to Psychics as I have, this is just... off... Lunala, maybe, but Solgaleo looks nothing like Psychic at all. I hope their lore will make sense for their typing.

Oh, and enjoy your Wingulls and Tentacools!
This may be like Hoeen, except possibly worse. Unless there are some ferry service between islands, like PMSD Lapras.

Reactions: JES

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
... Lunala looks beautiful, but... Psychic/Ghost. That'll be the same suffering Hoopa had. I only hope Shadow Shield will be something.

As much love to Psychics as I have, this is just... off... Lunala, maybe, but Solgaleo looks nothing like Psychic at all. I hope their lore will make sense for their typing.
Solgaleo is like another Lugia.
Inb4 card game prints it as Fire.

And info from the website

SOLGALEO
Sunne Pokemon
11'2''
507.1 lbs
Psychic/Steel
Full Metal Body
Since ancient times, Solgaleo has been honored as an emissary of the sun. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that devours the sun.” Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active. It has a flowing mane with a remarkable resemblance to the sun. Its signature move is Sunsteel Strike, an attack that charges at an opponent with the force of a meteor, disregarding the target’s Ability.

Solgaleo’s Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability.
LUNALA
Moone Pokemon
13'01''
264.6 lbs
Psychic Ghost
Shadow Shield
Since ancient times, Lunala has been honored as an emissary of the moon. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that calls the moon.” Lunala is constantly absorbing light and converting it into energy. With its wings spread to absorb the surrounding light and glittering like a crescent moon, it resembles a beautiful night sky. Lunala’s signature Moongeist Beam attack releases an ominous beam of light that disregards the target’s Ability.

Lunala’s Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP.

Oh, and enjoy your Wingulls and Tentacools! This may be like Hoeen, except possibly worse.
It wil have the suffering of having to just barely survive knock off----

Maybe the legendaries were banished from the sun and moon by arceus

PEOPLE OF ALOLA- Do not give your Lunalas an item

" He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. " on the professor. Elm was into eggs, and eggs happened? Birch was into habitats... nothing really to be drawn here except secret bases I think. 4th dude was into Evolution, we got a lot of evolutions of older Pokemon. I wonder what our professor will have to tell us about moves?

Solgaleo’s Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability.

Lunala’s Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP.
Really, Game Freak?

I think psychic makes sense for their typings since it's traditionally associated with space (Solrock/Lunatone, Cosmic Power, the psychic gym in XY being space themed, etc). Lunala's typing is terrible from a competitive point of view but flavor-wise I like it. Not sure what to think about Solgaleo's, it really sounds weird having a sun-themed legendary weak to fire-type moves. I'm sitting here hoping their abilities will have an extra effect besides being Clear Body/Multiscale clones, like Solgaleo's adding an immunity to fire and Lunala's adding an immunity to dark, but that's probably too much wishful thinking considering they would probably have said something about that on the video if it were true. Oh well. I'm team Moon all the way, I love Lunala's design and concept a lot. Hopefully it'll have the best version exclusives.

" He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. " on the professor. Elm was into eggs, and eggs happened? Birch was into habitats... nothing really to be drawn here except secret bases I think. 4th dude was into Evolution, we got a lot of evolutions of older Pokemon. I wonder what our professor will have to tell us about moves?
yes and sycamore was into mega evolution, and oak was into pokemon in general, leeding to megas and well, pokemon.

We will now suffer the power of Kukui and the scars of his Leaf-Barrage hits taken.
But seriously, how come he has not scars from attacks

So Sunset Strike and Moongeist Beam basically get Mold Breaker as their added effect?
... niiiiiiiiiiiiiice
that probably was the only thing keeping THEM from getting mold breaker clones

And who knows, there are some pokemon with bad typings in the higher tiers, so maybe Lunala will be in OU rather than Ubers,

I agree, I'm on team Moon, but the banishment theory that I made actually makes pretty good sense for why they are weak to fire and dark

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yikes, Solgaleo and Lunala have the most trollish typings ever. We have the Pokemon of the Sun, weak to Fire-types, and the Pokemon of the Moon, 4x weak to Dark-type moves x_x.

Solagelo doesn't actually have a bad typing, I don't mind that as a potential Xerneas check or something. Lunaala's typing though... sheesh, I hope Moongeist Beem and its typing are good enough to make up for that bummer of a typing, especially since having a Multiscale Clone is so good!

On the bright side though, the new locales look pretty fantastic, and I love the Rotom-dex!
I can see Lunaala being good if it is fast. A speedy mon with a Multiscale clone slinging around powerful Ghost attacks (assuming Moongeist Beam IS a Ghost move...) would be pretty tricky to stop without a Dark-type. If it is at least faster than Gengar (one can hope) I can see it being a pretty decent threat.

Solgaleo being weak to Fire is lol, but if it gets Fire and Ground coverage moves I could see it being a pretty useful mon, offensive Steel that gives PDon trouble would be pretty nice. That huge HP of 212 (even better than L50 Xerneas which has 201) suggests it will be tanky which would be pretty cool for checking Xerneas.

Your new adventures in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon will take place on the tropical islands of the Alola region! The Alola region centers around four islands rich in natural beauty and an artificial island. Many Pokémon that have never been seen before occupy these islands.
Professor Kukui
Professor Kukui is the Alola region's dependable Pokémon professor. He lives near your home and looks out for you. He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. Sporting a white lab coat slung casually over his bare torso, he shows off his own unique style.
Lillie
Lillie is a mysterious girl who assists the professor. This young girl is about the same age as your character, and she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books. Lillie will play an important role in the story of Pokémon Sunand Pokémon Moon.
Your Friend Hau
Hau is a Pokémon-loving young boy with a big appetite! He's the same age as your character. When you move to the Alola region, he makes friends with you right away. He has a real weakness for malasada, a famous treat in the Alola region, and he is always in search of malasada shops. He is a big-hearted boy who really loves Pokémon.
Meet New Pokémon Using the QR Scanner!
In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, there is a QR Scanner function that allows you to see information about Pokémon when you scan QR Code patterns. With the QR Scanner, you scan in a QR Code and check the information about the Pokémon that corresponds to that QR Code. There are QR Code patterns in various places all around you, so try scanning them.
Register Pokémon in Your Pokédex!
By scanning in special QR Code patterns you can register Pokémon of the Alola region to your Pokédex and find out where they live. If you scan in the QR Code for a Pokémon that you haven’t yet caught, you can check its habitat and search it out.
Share QR Code Patterns of Pokémon!
You can display the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught in your own Pokédex. If you and a friend show each other the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught, you can both register the Pokémon in your Pokédexes!
The Rotom Pokédex Is Your Ally on Your Journey!
The Pokédex is a convenient tool that records information about the Pokémon you see and catch during your adventure. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, your character receives a special Pokédex from Professor Kukui to support you in your travels. It's known as the Rotom Pokédex, and it's inhabited by Rotom, a Pokémon with the power to reside in various electronic appliances. It does much more than record Pokémon info—it sparkles with its own personality. The Rotom Pokédex shows your current location and your next destination, and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The Rotodex, says it's a "new way to for humans and Pokémon to communicate". Are we getting talking Pokémon?!
I really really hope not. The website does say "it sparkles with its own personality!" which sounds... ominous.

I can see Lunaala being good if it is fast. A speedy mon with a Multiscale clone slinging around powerful Ghost attacks (assuming Moongeist Beam IS a Ghost move...) would be pretty tricky to stop without a Dark-type. If it is at least faster than Gengar (one can hope) I can see it being a pretty decent threat.
It made the super effective sound on gengar, so it's either ghost or dark type.

I really really hope not. The website does say "it sparkles with its own personality!" which sounds... ominous.

It made the super effective sound on gengar, so it's either ghost or dark type.
Could be Psychic type as well, because Gengar is part Poison type. It's probably Ghost type though, from the presence of the word "geist" in its name

Solgaleo being weak to Fire is lol, but if it gets Fire and Ground coverage moves I could see it being a pretty useful mon, offensive Steel that gives PDon trouble would be pretty nice. That huge HP of 212 (even better than L50 Xerneas which has 201) suggests it will be tanky which would be pretty cool for checking Xerneas.
Hell, we don't even know if that is EV'd or what the IVs are. For all we know it might be a random Solgaleo with random IVs and no EVs

Anyone else notice Solgaleo's signature attack making the 'not very effective' sound when it hit Salamence? I didn't see the message pop up, but it still managed to OHKO. I'm guessing Lunala's signature move is ghost type since you hear the 'it's super effective' sound effect and see the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)