Custom Power

As a joke I made a Pure +2 Priority Move team and it worked better than anything else I could come up with...but...it still loses to good combinations of walls and pranksters (Not literally with the ability, mons like Sableye Mega and Rotom-Wash). ESpeed spam is fun and effective. Scizor's Defog is to prevent rocks from ruining Lucario's Sash or Dragonite's Multiscale. Here's the team (It's mostly a valid import, but I put in the correct types directly with it and notes between each):

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Extreme Speed - Ice
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

[This guy is an insane sweeper, OHKOs two of the most common physical walls (Landorus-T and Gliscor) with Ice ESpeed, STAB CC takes out most other Electric types; Bullet Punch could probably be replaced with Iron Head as it effectively ends up only being used to hit Clefable.]

Zygarde @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed - Dragon
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake

[Fairly straight forward. Iron tail is anti-fairy coverage otherwise use the ESpeed/EQ STAB pair.]

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Extreme Speed - Flying
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

[Fairly straight forward, can manage to sweep with STAB ESpeed.]

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Extreme Speed - Fire
- Flame Charge
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat

[Flame Charge is necessary setup to use the moves other than ESpeed. Want to switch into a physical pokemon that will be weakened enough to be safe to take a hit from...]

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpA
- Extreme Speed - Electric
- Knock Off
- Nuzzle
- Brick Break

[This is the weakest link, tbh; but using a Pikachu is hilarious. Takes out Azu, also serves as the anti-wall of the team, being able to use KO and Nuzzle on Chansey and similar.]

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Feint - Rock
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- Superpower

[Defog is a utility move to support Lucario's Sash and Dragonite's Multiscale, Rock Feint beats the crap out of Talonflame Superpower is mostly to prevent being walled by other steel types.]

Additionally note that this kind of team is VERY VERY offensive; you almost never want to switch; it's rarely worth it.

EV

Banned deucer.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/custompower-381266062
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/custompower-381268176

Wow! Great metagame you got here! Metagames based around STAB extremespeed are invariably fun and epic for everyone! Thanks for selecting this as metagame of the month!
Glad you like it :o)

However, it probably wasn't so fun for the other players :o(

While Extreme Speed isn't as strong in CP as it was in Metagamiate, it's undoubtedly shaping up to become the driving force for the metagame, and rather than sit on our hands while it ruins the ladder I think we should institute a clause.

Proposals:
  • Limit Extreme Speed to 2 Pokemon per team.
  • Limit Extreme Speed to 1 Pokemon per team.
  • Ban Extreme Speed.
  • Do nothing.
Players, go ahead and comment with your prefered option and why. I'll decide on a solution within 48 hours.

I recently made a set for Mega Charizard X, which is basically an all-out offensive DD set (meaning no Roost) with one key difference from a normal all-out offensive set.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Body Slam - Ground/Outrage-Ground
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Body Slam Ground is actually stronger than Earthquake (Base 106.4 compared to base 100- slight damage increase) and it also adds a 30% chance to paralyze the enemy, meaning Char X could end up crippling something that would otherwise counter it. Outrage-Ground is vastly more powerful but it comes at the cost of being walled by Flying-type 'mons such as the ever-so-common Talonflame, Thundurus, Landorus, and so on.

I've got some more potential sets and I'm looking for Feedback on them (Including my Char X set).

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpD
- Double-Edge -Steel
- Head Smash
- Fire Punch
- Low Kick

Aggron now has two very deadly STABs, one slightly less deadly than the other. While Double-Edge Steel is slightly weaker than Head Smash, it doesn't really matter because he's still gonna be hitting things HARD. Fire Punch is to deal with pesky Scizors and the like, Low Kick to deal with everything the other three moves don't.

Cinccino @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Double Slap/Knock Off/U-Turn -Fire
- Bullet Seed
- Tail Slap
- Rock Blast

Hey, look! Cinccino can do something to Steel-types now! Thanks to Double Slap Fire, Cincinno no longer has to worry about pests such as Ferrothorn totally ruining its fun- while they can still hurt Cincinno, they'll most likely go down or be seriously crippled doing so. In Ferrothorn's case, we get this: 252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 280-340 (79.5 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Tail Slap was used since the calculator doesn't register Double Slap for some reason...)
Double-Slap has raw power over the other two and breaks subs, Knock Off is Knock Off, and U-Turn gives momentum.

Last edited:

While Extreme Speed isn't as strong in CP as it was in Metagamiate, it's undoubtedly shaping up to become the driving force for the metagame, and rather than sit on our hands while it ruins the ladder I think we should institute a clause.

Proposals:
  • Ban Extreme Speed.
  • Do nothing.
Players, go ahead and comment with your prefered option and why. I'll decide on a solution within 48 hours.
Because this isn't really a move based meta like Sketchmons or STABmons, I disagree with limiting or banning Extremespeed. I'd rather ban on the abusers instead.

And yeah. With that said, I'd prefer to have a suspect on Dragonite instead. It's completely ridiculous, and compared to the other Extremespeeders, this thing is in a different league. With Multiscale, it's guaranteed to survive any one move and set up DD, then it'll sweep very easily with Flying Extremespeed and it's coverage, usually Earthquake, Fire Punch or some special moves for physical walls. All other Extremespeeders are handlable with exception of this thing.

I think Dragonite and Kyurem-B need to be banned. Dragonite can abuse Flying type Extreme Speeds which hit extremely hard, and have nothing immune to them unlike Entei, Arcanine and Zygarde. And between Earthquake, Fire Punch and Superpower, even resists aren't safe. Kyurem-B hits like an absolute truck with Ice Return, and again it has Fusion Bolt, Outrage and Earth Power for anything that resists it.

Proposals:
  • Ban Extreme Speed.
  • Do nothing.
I have a more elegant solution -- implement a "Custom Power Clause" that limits you from using the same move as your custom power on more than one Pokemon. This would stop Extreme Speed spam while also forcing players to be more creative while team building in general. The collateral wouldn't be too bad either -- you can alternate Return/Frustration if that's a concern. I think it would be a positive change for a number of reasons.

Otherwise, yeah, just ban the broken Pokemon, not the move they all happen to use.

Perhaps we could modify the team builder so it doesn't automatically change the IVs The Immortal? It sets my Kyurem-B's attack to 31 IVs instantly, meaning I have to change it every single battle
The fix for this is to use Hidden Type as the format. I've made Hidden Type exempt from all the IV changing shenanigans so all IV related OMs can set Hidden Type as their format when team building.

Malamar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Ability: Contrary
Adamant Nature
- Superpower (Psychic)
- Knock Off
- Filler (Protect?)
- Filler (Hypnosis?)

Obvious set is obvious. STAB Superpower.

This might look cool, but Wouldn't AV help a little more, with the coverage it can get in the meta?

This might look cool, but Wouldn't AV help a little more, with the coverage it can get in the meta?
Not only is this kinda late, this is also already been talked about. That being said, I'll go through it again.
  1. Malamar won't be that good here- it has terrible stats
  2. Assualt vest can't take special hits regardless, so it doesn't matter
  3. 2 of the moves on that set cannot be used with assault vest.

Frankly, I would just prefer an Extreme Speed ban. You only need one STAB ESpeeder to invalidate a big portion of offense teams. It's not as powerful as in Mix-and-Mega or Metagamiate, but I don't think it needs to be for it to be banned.

Eelektross is pretty good now. This thing has access to a bolt-beam that recovers health. Some improvements could be made on the moveset but switch-ins don't exist (Except for quagsire).

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Giga Drain
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower

On the ESpeed issue:

As someone that uses ESpeed SPAM I've seen the following kinds of team effectively on the ladder:

ESpeed SPAM: 4-6 ESpeed users and 0-2 Utility mons. [Manages to ladder fairly well despite being fully physical, due to usage of a mix of STAB and unexpected Coverage ESpeeds.] (Common mons: Dragonite, Lucario, Entei, Arcanine)
Physical Wall Team: Uses multiple physical wall/bulky sweeper mons to try to counter ESpeed Spam. (Common Mons: Magnezone, Bulky Azumarill, Rotom-W, Excadrill, Clefable, Quagsire, Volcanion, Jirachi)
Teams that flat out lose to ESpeed Spam handily: I admit, the flaw that causes some of these to lose TO ME is that their primary physical wall has a double Ice Weakness and I carry Ice ESpeed. (Common Mons: Kyu-B, Cloyster, Slurpuff, Talonflame, Lando-T, Gliscor)
Balanced teams: 1-2 ESpeed Users (Dragonite and one of Lucario, Entei, Arcanine); Fake Out Weavile (Most the time); 1-2 Physical walls; 1-3 other mons (GOOD pokemon that lose to ESpeed spam).

Also Fake Out as an ESpeed counter is semi-common; though that's specifically one mon ran to counter specifically Dragonite's ESpeed:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Fake Out (Ice)
Icicle Crash

[Tries to 2HKO dragonite with those two moves]

The only truly unique team I ran into that gave me a run for my money: A Rain Team that had a very very wally Mega-Swampert as the lead kept me from being able to use anything other than ESpeed with its Swift Swim Speed and had the defense to take out multiple ESpeed users before it fell.
In short:
Is ESpeed centralizing? YES.
Is this bad? IDK. It's one of the things that makes this meta unique. It does make it impossible to run a Special pokemon unless it also has good physical defense (which is relatively rare and includes things like Volcanion, Slowbro and Diancie-Mega.) And it requires either a faster ESpeed; a Fake Out or some serious bulk to counter.

Last edited:
In short:
Is ESpeed centralizing? YES.
Is this bad? IDK. It's one of the things that makes this meta unique. It does make it impossible to run a Special pokemon unless it also has good physical defense (which is relatively rare and includes things like Volcanion, Slowbro and Diancie-Mega.) And it requires either a faster ESpeed; a Fake Out or some serious bulk to counter.
STAB/changed-type Espeed absolutely does not make this meta unique.

Anyways, Rotom-Heat is a good pivot and blanket check right now. A lot of mons are running Boltbeam coverage (maybe with Fire alongside it), Flying-types are having a field day, it can get a new Fire STAB in Discharge or Volt Switch so it doesn't get pigeonholed into Overheat, Excadrill and Lando-T are swapping out their Rock coverage for Ice and Flying, respectively... the meta is just friendly to it right now.

I disagree. The difference is that this isn't aerilate, flareiate, pixilate ect. which gives you a 33% boost to your moves, which is important. And people are trying to ban Extreme speed because it's powerful, but in reality it's an 80 Base power move.

Dragonite

252+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 147-174 (43.1 - 51%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Aerilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 192-226 (56.3 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Entei

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 99-117 (29 - 34.3%) -- 3% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 131-154 (38.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Lucario

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 220-261 (64.5 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 165-196 (48.3 - 57.4%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO

Shouldn't be banned in my opinion!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamnt Nature
- Return (Ice)
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin/Swords Dance

Excadrill is even better than before with Ice coverage. OHKOes Gliscor and Landorus-T, even after Intimidate. Even Multiscale Dragonite can't survive it. It resists most Extremespeeds, except for Fire, Water, Ground, and Fighting, but no one uses Water Espeed and most avoid the last two due to all the immunities to those types.

I disagree. The difference is that this isn't aerilate, flareiate, pixilate ect. which gives you a 33% boost to your moves, which is important. And people are trying to ban Extreme speed because it's powerful, but in reality it's an 80 Base power move.
It's a base 80 move that can now be used with STAB boost or in relevant coverage types...that importantly ALWAYS GOES FIRST; making "defense by speed" as opposed to "defense by actual bulk" impossible. As I said you don't see special pokemon in this tier unless they also have decent physical bulk...like Diancie-Mega and Volcanion. You can't run a Gengar, ESpeed would bonk it.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Just dropping by to say something. You guys can argue "extremespeed [is/isn't] broken" but that doesn't change the fact that it's RIDICULOUSLY overcentralizing to the point where more creative teambuilding is rendered irrelevant. That's not conducive for a healthy metagame, period.

I personally believe ESpeed isn't powerful enough to require banning. It's not that strong and simple to wall with physical walls like Quagsire. There are so few abusers as well, some of which probably won't even be using STAB with it like Lucario and Zygarde. Those that do use STAB like Flying Dragonite have subpar coverage with it.

On another note, I've been using this Mew set pretty effectively. I use Rock because I'm pretty weak to KyuB and Fire types but Ice gets stuff like Dragonite and Zygarde better. Mew is neutral to pretty much all used ESpeed types and is bulky enough to tank boosted attacks and burn attackers. Scarf Ditto (Ice/Rock) is also crazy good for revenging things right now.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play (Ice/Rock)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- U-turn
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 159-187 (39.3 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

EV

Banned deucer.
The gripe was you can just slap 6 Espeed mons on a team (assuming they were Banded too) and repeatedly click Espeed until you win. Quagsire/Mew/Rotom-W/Volcanion can't check 6 Espeeders, so unless you pack your team full of 6 anti-meta mons, a 6 mon Espeed team has a good chance of winning at team preview.

xJownage understands what I mean.

This meta is still in its infancy, however, so I guess we can give it more time for things to develop and better counterplay strategies to come around. I just don't want it to dissolve because "omg Espeed is everywhere this isn't fun." We should enjoy the ladder for the entirety of its time and err on the side of removing unhealthy or overcentralizing moves/Pokemon sooner rather than later.

I personally believe ESpeed isn't powerful enough to require banning. It's not that strong and simple to wall with physical walls like Quagsire. There are so few abusers as well, some of which probably won't even be using STAB with it like Lucario and Zygarde. Those that do use STAB like Flying Dragonite have subpar coverage with it.

On another note, I've been using this Mew set pretty effectively. I use Rock because I'm pretty weak to KyuB and Fire types but Ice gets stuff like Dragonite and Zygarde better. Mew is neutral to pretty much all used ESpeed types and is bulky enough to tank boosted attacks and burn attackers. Scarf Ditto (Ice/Rock) is also crazy good for revenging things right now.
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play (Ice/Rock)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- U-turn
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 159-187 (39.3 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
The problem is, when you miss Will-o-Wisp. 85% chance to hit move... looks like solid status, when we thinking about Burn, but that 15% chance can put you on bad spot.
Still... Burn might be the best threat for physical pokemons carying E-Speed. Expect... Lum Berry.
This item can give for oponent time for setting substitute (what means you can't touch this pokemon with status unles you have Infiltrator), setting more boosts, and your Mew becomes spot for boosting.
But if Mew meets Band (aka stupidSpammon version)... Burn means here much more value than in Lum Berry version.

Interesting fact about E-Speed is: no pokemon with E-Speed, can have Guts. This mean you can't boost atacking stats for E-Speed user, because Guts.
Still some pokemon with priority also can carry Guts, but only +1, no +2 like E-Speed.
Also no pokemon can gain STAB Ghost or Dark E-Speed EXPECT Arceus. But because this metagame is based on OU, Arceus is not a problem for Mew. So... this set usually will take neutral, raretly resisted E-Speed (expect oponent use Dark/Ghost type E-Speed, making this move weaker in any other situation BUT Mew and other Psychic and Ghost pokemons).

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
This meta is still in its infancy, however, so I guess we can give it more time for things to develop and better counterplay strategies to come around. I just don't want it to dissolve because "omg Espeed is everywhere this isn't fun." We should enjoy the ladder for the entirety of its time and err on the side of removing unhealthy or overcentralizing moves/Pokemon sooner rather than later.
This is exactly where most OMotMs go wrong and why many people have recommended that OMotM be replaced with "spotlight metas" that last for several months instead of just one. With most OMotMs, broken or generally unhealthy strategies are very apparent from the beginning, but many people decide to take a "wait and see" attitude because of the youth of the metagame, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that the people who like these strategies jump on that bandwagon and it's often mid-month before these strategies are banned. The result? Metagames don't experience healthy stability until the very end of the month, when most people have lost interest or had their fun already.

It's obvious that ExtremeSpeed is overcentralizing to the point of being unhealthy based on nothing except the fact that 5 espeeders are the best teams on the ladder. It's obvious that "more creativity" is completely irrelevant as long as Espeed invalidates so many strategies. Now please ban Espeed instead of taking this "wait for the meta to stabilize before doing bans." ORAS OU didn't need to be stable for people to establish that Mega Salamence was broken, and that's a FACT. Most of these OMotMs that are slow to ban things due to "infancy" ALWAYS end up banning whatever people said shouldn't be banned because it was "too early". It's supposedly too early for got talent viability rankings, but just look at them. They're good!

I KNOW that this is the primary reason a metagame like this isn't getting more and/or better attention. I've talked to the players. Many popular OMers don't enjoy OMotMs most of the time because they are never stable, this one included. Instead of waiting until half way through the month, let's take action NOW! Having an Espeed that can be any type is insanely overcentralizing. Ban this shit so we can actually have a creative OMotM. I don't care if it's got counterplay; a metagame around one tactic and its counterplay is not a stable or fun metagame.

You know what? xJownage has a point. ESpeed Pikachu is super powerful...ESpeed Dragonite, Arcanine, Entei and Lucario are plain broken. When I've managed to sweep with a bloody Pikachu and my meme team that I made as a joke to start with, which has 5 ESpeed users ladders FAR better than my attempts at more normal building...and that's a team...with bloody pikachu. I get it, an OM should be different than standard play; but ESpeed pikachu beating normal OU stuff...I...yea...no.

This is exactly where most OMotMs go wrong and why many people have recommended that OMotM be replaced with "spotlight metas" that last for several months instead of just one. With most OMotMs, broken or generally unhealthy strategies are very apparent from the beginning, but many people decide to take a "wait and see" attitude because of the youth of the metagame, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that the people who like these strategies jump on that bandwagon and it's often mid-month before these strategies are banned. The result? Metagames don't experience healthy stability until the very end of the month, when most people have lost interest or had their fun already.

It's obvious that ExtremeSpeed is overcentralizing to the point of being unhealthy based on nothing except the fact that 5 espeeders are the best teams on the ladder. It's obvious that "more creativity" is completely irrelevant as long as Espeed invalidates so many strategies. Now please ban Espeed instead of taking this "wait for the meta to stabilize before doing bans." ORAS OU didn't need to be stable for people to establish that Mega Salamence was broken, and that's a FACT. Most of these OMotMs that are slow to ban things due to "infancy" ALWAYS end up banning whatever people said shouldn't be banned because it was "too early". It's supposedly too early for got talent viability rankings, but just look at them. They're good!

I KNOW that this is the primary reason a metagame like this isn't getting more and/or better attention. I've talked to the players. Many popular OMers don't enjoy OMotMs most of the time because they are never stable, this one included. Instead of waiting until half way through the month, let's take action NOW! Having an Espeed that can be any type is insanely overcentralizing. Ban this shit so we can actually have a creative OMotM. I don't care if it's got counterplay; a metagame around one tactic and its counterplay is not a stable or fun metagame.
Ban E-Speed - yes. But only on first slot.
If we remove ability to change type for this move, but stay with ONLY Normal type... It can stay.
If we DON'T ban E-Speed on first slot, them yeah - spam E-Speed becomes too anoying, because creating team what is creative BUT lose to this spam will be not worth to even try.
It's didn't work on Normal type E-Speed, where super effective hits are imposible to land on this move.

Ban to E-Speed in first slot - yes.
Ban E-Speed in general - no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)