All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Hello !
In 3G NU, how to play Dragonair ? It has a little niche with Shed Skin + Rest, i think.
Suddenly, Bulky DD + Rest ? Bulky BoltBeam + Rest ? Another way ?

Same for Sealeo, how to play it ? I guess like Walrein, but the Curse IceQuake ? RestTalker ? Another way ?

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hello !
In 3G NU, how to play Dragonair ? It has a little niche with Shed Skin + Rest, i think.
Suddenly, Bulky DD + Rest ? Bulky BoltBeam + Rest ? Another way ?

Same for Sealeo, how to play it ? I guess like Walrein, but the Curse IceQuake ? RestTalker ? Another way ?
If you're talking ADV NU, then I don't think Dragonair really has a niche. If you really want to use it, I would recommend an offensive BoltBeam set since it does resist Grass and Electric, which is cool, and could work as a kind of wallbreaker for Huntail without stacking same type weaknesses. So just a straight offensive set like:

Dragonair @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Hidden Power Grass / Toxic / Agility

would probably be best.

There's almost no reason to use Sealeo since Dewgong would do everything better, but if you really want to use the Curse set that's the only thing it'd have over it

ADV NU GOD

Banned deucer.
Crystal_ it's Disaster Area / Piexplode here. Had a bit of an arguement with Marty over whether or not this was a bug.

Replay:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-378197898

Turn 66
The opposing Chansey used Seismic Toss!
Koopacow lost 28% of its health!
Koopacow must recharge!
Turn 67
Koopacow, come back!
Go! Exeggutor!
The opposing Chansey used Soft-Boiled!
The opposing Chansey restored its HP.
Turn 68
LA Reshirams withdrew Chansey!
LA Reshirams sent out Tauros!
Exeggutor used Sleep Powder!
The opposing Tauros fell asleep!
Turn 69
The opposing Tauros is fast asleep.
Exeggutor is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 70
Exeggutor is paralyzed! It can't move!
Turn 71
Exeggutor, come back!
Go! Snorlax!
Turn 72
Snorlax used Body Slam!
A critical hit! The opposing Tauros lost 56% of its health!
Turn 73
LA Reshirams withdrew Tauros!
LA Reshirams sent out Chansey!
Snorlax used Counter!
But it failed!

Condensed to the important information:

Turn 66
The opposing Chansey used Seismic Toss!
Tauros lost 28% of its health!
Tauros must recharge!
Turn 67
Koopacow, come back!
Go! Exeggutor!
The opposing Chansey used Soft-Boiled!
The opposing Chansey restored its HP.
Turn 72
Snorlax used Body Slam!
A critical hit! The opposing Tauros lost 56% of its health!
Turn 73
LA Reshirams withdrew Tauros!
LA Reshirams sent out Chansey!
Snorlax used Counter!
But it failed!

So, if my opponent uses a normal or fighting-type attack such as seismic toss, then proceeds to use a recovery move, and then I do an attack, should I then be able to counter here or not? And is the simulator implementing the interaction between recover / softboiled and counter as it's supposed to? I know that Heal Effect is listed under Damage Calculation Mechanics.

Unless I'm missing something, LA Reshirams' last selected move was Softboiled (turn 67), which has 0 base power, so Counter was supposed to miss as it did. In reality, the games would've desynced had LA Reshirams hovered the cursor over Seismic Toss before switching to Tauros, but since we're obviously not simulating that, then it's correct that Counter missed.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
You can switch out after using Hyper Beam if you fall asleep in RBY, even if you didn't KO the opponent's Pokémon.

And there's no recharge turn if you stay in and wake up.

Last edited:

porco dio

Banned deucer.
can someone test that that's the case on main server before bug reporting? I had the bug on a server that's not updated in 3 weeks

Eh, to me it's the book vs. movie scenario. Replays give a better visual representation, but only shows it from a spectator's perspective. Warstories provide insight into the thought process of the player, as well as opening the path for prose, which can single-handedly make the most lame thing appear mind-boggling epic. It more died out since people were doing it more to show the game rather than the story itself, and there's no longer a place specifically for warstories anymore. I bet if some high-level players started doing them again, it would catch on again.

The only thing replays truly killed are logs, which we can all agree on is a good thing.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There's been a few times in the past I wanted to do a war story for one of my SPL games but I'm always just too lazy to go through with it.

porco dio

Banned deucer.
If you use substitute in RBY does it block the possibility of being frozen via Ice Beam / Blizzard (and similarly, from being paralyzed by body slam etc.)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Wouldnt commentating over a replay be just as good with less effort?
It would definitely be more effort, because then you have to do more than simply interject proverbial thought bubbles between turns of the battle log. You still have to write the war story anyway, because it effectively serves as your video's script, but on top of that now you have to do a voiceover and incorporate a bunch of addition hardware and software (microphone, video recording, editing) plus deal with uploading it to YouTube or wherever.

It's not quite the same thing anyway, the "commentary" is still basically verbal text that some people might just prefer to read than have to listen to because it's faster to read. Like how I hate vlogs because why would I watch a 20-minute video of something I could read in five. -_- But maybe it's still easier for viewers to stomach because the battle itself is easier to keep track of in video/replay form.

Honestly, this past SPL season I'm not sure I had any battles really worth immortalizing in a war story anyway. Maybe the one I won against idiotfrommars (aka HODOR) just because I think our different thought processes in the endgame were interesting, I didn't even consider trying to set up lastmon Vaporeon and almost paid the price, and then the realization that playing for Blissey freeze was my only out and I successfully pulled it off. Earthworm seemed to like that one, at any rate. I'd say the same of last year which were mostly clean and kinda boring battles, and I didn't consistently keep battle logs before that point so I can't look back any further.

also re-reading the above log I am realizing the pain in the ass that is PO logs with forced switching, because PO doesn't give the species name on forced switches and ifm named all his shit HODOR so you can't tell what the hell was actually forced in without additional context.
PO replays are even worse though :mad:

Is Shiny Heal Bell Dragonite supposed to be illegal? From what I can gather Pokemon from XD are able to be shiny, and Dragonite is snaggable like normal Pokemon. Was it hard coded or something to never be shiny, or just a mistake in the teambuilder?

Edit: Nevermind, found out apparently Shiny Shadow Pokemon were disabled in XD, and it looks like Dragonite is only obtainable as a Shadow Pokemon there, so that was why Shiny Heal Bell Dragonite can't be obtained.

Last edited:

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Is there a glitch to max out DVs in RBY on cartridge? Preferably one that's not too convoluted.

Last edited:
Is there a glitch to max out DVs in RBY on cartridge? Preferably one that's not too convoluted.
I believe the method in the video below is the closest you're going to get without owning an old GameShark:

You have to read the description. And it is pretty convoluted. But, that's how you get totally maxed out Pokemon in RBY.

My apologies for double posting, but I'm looking for a quick opinion on a GSC team I'm going to use in a local club tourney I organized, and later Stadium 2. Everything was trained on Blue and traded over since leveling up in Johto is terrible:

@ Mint Berry
Level 100
- Psychic
- Thunder/Thunder Punch
- Submission
- Rest
We all agreed on Item Clause, otherwise everything would have Leftovers. Rest to get past any status. I don't have the Thunderbolt TM in Blue anymore (and I don't have Crystal) so I have a tough choice for the second slot. After maxed stat exp, Mewtwo's SpA is 402 (max possible is 406). Being so close to max I'm tempted to go with Thunder just to fuck shit up if it hits. 312 Attack (max possible is 318) will let Submission hit Darks and Normals hard. I got lucky with the DVs.

@ Leftovers
Level 100
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest
Mewtwo is the only one I maxed stat exp for, the rest just got vitamins and candies. Here we have another Curselax.

@ Scope Lens
Level 100
- Ice Punch
- Thunder
- Agility
- Frustration
Threw this idea together willy-nilly because I needed a third, and training Ho-Oh up looked like it would take more time than it's worth. Ice Punch b/c I don't have Ice Beam in Blue anymore. I got lucky enough to get Scope Lens from S2's Mystery Gift, which is cool. Wouldn't really use him in GSC OU or Ubers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)