Trollgar The Gengar

I give credit to TotallyIsStool for their awesome idea of this Gen1 Gengar strategy. Considering the omnipresence of physical moves, especially normal types moves, confusion can be a serious blow to a physical pokemon. Considering that all normal type moves are physical prior to Gen 4, and Gengar's immunity to Hyper Beam, this can be a momentum turn for someone using a Beam sweep.

Gengar
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Confuse Ray
- Mega Drain/Night Shade

Psychic is your main attack, and with Gengar's high special, it pairs quite well. Thunderbolt can also be used for more type advantages, and most importantly, sets up Paralysis to pair well with confusion for a lot of free turns that your team could use. Confuse Ray has 100% accuracy in this generation and while it isn't a swagger, it can still do quite a bit of momentum shifting, esp. to those that use Physical attacks. Mega Drain could be used for health recovery, alongside damage, and Night Shade work well on bulkier pokemon like Chansey.

Any comments or criticism would be appreciated, but please be civil.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Having played some RBY OU (built a few teams, played around) this just seems like a rather mediocre use of Gengar (no offense). Psychic really only hits other gengar. C-ray is usable, so there's that. I just don't see the huge merit over the standard Hypnosis/Boom/Tbolt/Mega Drain Gengar.

porco dio

Banned deucer.
Having played some RBY OU (built a few teams, played around) this just seems like a rather mediocre use of Gengar (no offense). Psychic really only hits other gengar. C-ray is usable, so there's that. I just don't see the huge merit over the standard Hypnosis/Boom/Tbolt/Mega Drain Gengar.
Standard Gengar runs Night Shade not Mega Drain, Mega Drain is barely ever seen these days although it used to be more popular.

TheBlizWiz you don't appear to understand enough about RBY to be writing this analysis; once you've achieved top 10 on the PS ladder and spoken with other players who are regularly very high on the ladder or have achieved a lot in the forum tournament scene (so not just room tournaments on PS in the Tournaments room) then you may have more credibility. If you ask anyone who has achieved anything I've discussed, they will tell you that this is a bad set.

Yeah, unfortunately this isn't really a viable set. It doesn't really accomplish anything other than fishing for confusion hax, which is both extremely unreliable and not particularly useful in most cases, especially since Gar is such a mediocre attacker in RBY. You're better off sticking to the standard Hypno/Boom/two attacks

Gengar, without Explosion, is pretty easy to counter: it gets to work only once you have removed Alakazam and/or Chansey, and Rest+EQ Snorlax could be an issue too. Even with that, I don't know if it's worth it to risk a CRay aganst a paralyzed Psychic/Earthquake user; Thunderbolt/Night Shade/Cray/Explosion looks like the best set for that (gimmicky) purpose (hax and sweep/setup for Tauros once stallers are gone). Well, at very least it can still boom and it's an almost-decent filler pokemon (something else is going to use sleep moves at safer times, with more accuracy).
Night Shade is mandatory as you want to be able to hit Exeggutor, and Tbolt is Gar's best move.
If you really want to troll, go Hypnosis/Counter/Night Shade/Explosion (use Counter after Explosions in case you're facing something worried about Hypnosis), the CRay Gengar is more of an HaxGar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)