WCop XI General Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tele

a quality human being

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
If Greece loses vs LA, greek players that formed Greece team (that includes the 15 players + captain + co-captain) will NOT be allowed to play in any other team, and that includes team Europe. In the same way if LA loses vs Greece, their players would not be allowed to play in any other team.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Does that mean that Greece and LA have already sent in their full rosters to assure that the 15 players are known and, therefore, barred from participating on other teams? Or will the manager of the losing team be asked afterwards? If the latter, then couldn't this system be manipulated? Just curious

I agree that players from the losing team should not be allowed to play for other teams, since that would just be unfair. However, I feel that the best of 3 should be expanded. As it currently stands, from what I understand, if you live in Greece, you basically have no choice but to play for Greece. You cannot choose to play for Europe if Greece wants you on its team. This essentially means that these individuals have no choice but to rely on 3 people who aren't even officially their teammates yet in order to simply gain the luxury of participating in this tournament. I don't think that that is particularly fair for these people, so I would be in favor of at least making it a full 10 vs. 10 playoff-style game, if not the full 15 vs. 15.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
if youre gonna do it that way you should probably have a whole team fight instead of a bo3, since the consequences are so large.
Not saying that we should just do things because that's how we've always done them, but this is literally how we conducted the 16th team placement last year http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-world-cup-of-pokémon-x-sign-ups-read-posts-476-492-505.3539669/page-20#post-6262988 and I don't think anyone batted an eye.

Everybody is riled up because Afrabs and Asia might not be teams in the future, but the real kicker to me is that everyone has so little faith that those regions wouldn't be able to form a team in the future because "so many live in Europe/US." I mean, 5 years ago the thought of a Team Greece being in WCoP would have been laughable at best, and here we have a team seriously vying for entry in both last year's and this year's WCoP. There's a good chunk of current players that live within the Afrab and Asian regions as it is, so I have faith we'll be seeing them for years to come.

I get that tradition has such a strong pull on the community as regards to the teams that should be in WCoP, and that team rivalries exist and stuff and have for a long time (some going back to 2005 even), I and the other TDs are not blind to that.

But, we wanted to legitimize a portion of the tournament that has always been obtusely shady in comparison to the other tournaments here on the forum, so we took a route that will hopefully counteract that shadiness to not only make our lives easier, but remove one of the most contentious parts of the tournament in legitimizing on what teams the "top players" should be playing on.

Maybe last year's team locking would have been enough to counteract this problem without introducing the IP rule this year, maybe not, kinda tough to say really. But in the long run I feel logistically this rule will make the tournament run far smoother than it has in the past at the expense of breaking with tradition a bit in the present.

porco dio

Banned deucer.
Here's something dumb about the current WCoP rules:
Team UK can have people on their team who have only come over to the UK to study [also, these people can't vote in the EU referendum]
Team UK can't have people on their team who are UK nationals [also, these people can vote in the EU referendum]

(and likewise for other teams of course)

Surely a national should be given the opportunity to prove it in private [e.g. a video with their passport in it clearly revealed, because that would be difficult and illegal to forge unlike just a picture] because obviously the latter sort of person has more in connection with the team than the former, and are willing to go to any effort that you care to think of to prove it.

The rules are dumb because they currently let people with far less of a connection to a team play than some of the people they disallow. The exception to the IP ruling should be some method which is difficult and illegal to forge but easy for eligible people such as PoMMan to do.

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The rules are dumb because they currently let people with far less of a connection to a team play than some of the people they disallow. The exception to the IP ruling should be some method which is difficult and illegal to forge but easy for eligible people such as PoMMan to do.
I agree that there should be room for exceptions, and afaik is something that is being brainstormed by the other TDs.

Always open to suggestions rather than people straight bitching about it so thank you for the post.

I agree that there should be room for exceptions, and afaik is something that is being brainstormed by the other TDs.

Always open to suggestions rather than people straight bitching about it so thank you for the post.
As long as people have some form of irrefutable proof that they belong to a certain region or have the intentions to move there (see teal's + pomman's case), then let them play for that team and let each scenario be done case by case. More often than not, people won't go out of their way to cheat this shit because it's a pokemon website ffs, so just trust and allow. If this had happened in the first place, it would have saved a lot of time and effort that we put in to try and get pomman on team uk. Obviously it's a lot different for US, but that's a whole different scenario.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shoka doesn't have a dick to show he got it cut off when he became a she

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)