Not open for further replies.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
SLURMZ 2:1

the hax in g2/3 was p nauseating but ggs anyway, they were p fun

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
won 2-0 vs tricking, with the 1st game being really shitty with hax in my favor, thanks for being a good sport tho tricking

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I object. Evan.

Honko signed up and should by all right have been in this, and rob. added his interest within a very reasonable time after the time was posted and there's byes that could have been filled. It's illogical to not allow them spot to participate when the alternative is giving people byes when people want in. Even giving them a shorter deadline in the middle of r2 to complete the r1 game is preferable to the current situation.

I object. Evan.

Honko signed up and should by all right have been in this, and rob. added his interest within a very reasonable time after the time was posted and there's byes that could have been filled. It's illogical to not allow them spot to participate when the alternative is giving people byes when people want in. Even giving them a shorter deadline in the middle of r2 to complete the r1 game is preferable to the current situation.
I was trying not to mess up the bracket and create later round byes by following the protocol set by this guide which showed that there needed to be 6 byes in order to create a larger tournament than 64 people. we had approximately 73 signups iirc and rather than having a 64 man tournament i implemented the 6 byes to try and get 6 more people in the tournament. the users that didn't get into the tournament were just unlucky as they were part of the last 37.5% of signups. I thought I had followed the guide to a T but obviously you have more tournament hosting experience than I do so if you could point out where I went wrong that would be helpful. i'd be happy to let more people into the tournament as long as it doesn't result in screwing up the bracket later on.

Quite Quiet

is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Byes are only to be used as replacement if you don't actually have the required number of people to reach a specific participation number. If you have 61 people signed up for a tournament, rather than have to reject a lot of people and make a 48 man tour, you can add 3 byes to make it the full 64 required for a nice clean finish.

Also this was my mistake, but if you had 73 sign ups, the bracket would have been better at 64 man with 9 substitutes, because to avoid byes in later rounds you have to make brackets 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 196... man. Using any other number will result in later round byes. The current 76-man tournament will actually end up causing what you were trying to avoid. Since we're past that point, and the brackets are what they are, ideally put both of them in as late r1 games against some people who had byes but didn't play yet and when the next round comes, you'll have to give some people byes to make up for the fact the tour is uneven. The sooner the bracket is corrected the better.

Byes are only to be used as replacement if you don't actually have the required number of people to reach a specific participation number. If you have 61 people signed up for a tournament, rather than have to reject a lot of people and make a 48 man tour, you can add 3 byes to make it the full 64 required for a nice clean finish.

Also this was my mistake, but if you had 73 sign ups, the bracket would have been better at 64 man with 9 substitutes, because to avoid byes in later rounds you have to make brackets 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 196... man. Using any other number will result in later round byes. The current 76-man tournament will actually end up causing what you were trying to avoid. Since we're past that point, and the brackets are what they are, ideally put both of them in as late r1 games against some people who had byes but didn't play yet and when the next round comes, you'll have to give some people byes to make up for the fact the tour is uneven. The sooner the bracket is corrected the better.
the tournament actually started out as a 70 man tournament because there was 64 people with matchups and 6 people with byes, only 3 people didnt get the chance to play. i'd rather not mess up the whole bracket and give later round byes for the sake of 3 people, especially since we're already into round 2. i'll admit that I screwed this up at first but at this point I feel like we're just going to have to roll with my mistake because adding later round byes is something that I was adamantly against from the beginning. again, i'm sorry to anyone that got left out (even though it said in the signup post that players will be selected based on a 62.5% first come first serve and 37.5% randomized basis, so it was well known that there would be a possibility of not being selected if you signed up later) but unless there's a cleaner solution that avoids later round byes i'm going to stick with the bracket I have.

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
the tournament actually started out as a 70 man tournament because there was 64 people with matchups and 6 people with byes, only 3 people didnt get the chance to play. i'd rather not mess up the whole bracket and give later round byes for the sake of 3 people, especially since we're already into round 2. i'll admit that I screwed this up at first but at this point I feel like we're just going to have to roll with my mistake because adding later round byes is something that I was adamantly against from the beginning. again, i'm sorry to anyone that got left out (even though it said in the signup post that players will be selected based on a 62.5% first come first serve and 37.5% randomized basis, so it was well known that there would be a possibility of not being selected if you signed up later) but unless there's a cleaner solution that avoids later round byes i'm going to stick with the bracket I have.
Those three people have no impact on if you need to give byes later or not, the bracket is already messed up. You need to give out byes later because 70 is not a tournament number (32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 196 are). Byes are only meant to be used to reach one of those numbers, not pad the current player list, and especially not replace players. The only way to not give out byes next round is to disqualify another 6 people, which is even worse.

You can only pick between adding 3 more people and give byes r3, and not add 3 more people and still give byes in r3.

For the record adding those missed should be done like: (I randomly picked two people with byes that hadn't played for r2 yet)
Syncrasy vs (Bughouse vs rob.)
(Mael vs Honko) vs Ice Tea

Those three people have no impact on if you need to give byes later or not, the bracket is already messed up. You need to give out byes later because 70 is not a tournament number (32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 196 are). Byes are only meant to be used to reach one of those numbers, not pad the current player list, and especially not replace players. The only way to not give out byes next round is to disqualify another 6 people, which is even worse.

You can only pick between adding 3 more people and give byes r3, and not add 3 more people and still give byes in r3.

For the record adding those missed should be done like: (I randomly picked two people with byes that hadn't played for r2 yet)
my bad, i must have misread your last post. i'll be inputing those shortly thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)