Gen 2 Team Firestarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after messing around with some of the other teams I decided to make a fire based team for GSC OU.

Why fire based? Well it has a lot to do with the current meta being swamped by Exeggutor and Steelix plus Skarmory. Meganium also sees a lot of use. It also KOs Forretress, Heracross and Scizor. That's it for the threats it takes out.

Now onto the actual Pokémon.

zam.png
Alakazam @ Leftovers
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Recover

Fire Punch to hit Forretress leads, Twave to paralyze Electric Types, Psychic for STAB, Recover to heal your wounds.

zard.png
Charizard @ Leftovers
- Belly Drum
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Belly Drum to sweep, Rock Slide for Flying Types, Fire Blast to hit mons affected by it (Mainly Forretress). Earthquake to hit other Steel types.

Forretress.png
Forretress @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sunny Day

Spikes to rack up damage, Explosion as a last resort. Sunny Day is there to cause your Fire Type moves to get that extra bonus damage that sometimes makes 3HKO's into 2HKO's. Hidden Power Fire to scare away other Forretress or Exeggutor who want to switch in.

exeggutor.png
Exeggutor @ Leftovers
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Explosion

Hidden Power Fire for a reliable Hidden Power under the Sun, and as a bonus it scares away other Exeggutor. Sleep Powder for Sleep. Psychic for STAB and Explosion as a last resort.

blissey.png
Blissey @ Leftovers
- Flamethrower
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Sing

Flamethrower for a reliable special attack under the Sun. Heal Bell to remove status. Soft-Boiled to heal up and Sing to inflict Sleep.

lax.png
Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Belly Drum
- Self-Destruct
- Body Slam
- Fire Blast

If Charizard fails you always have Snorlax as a backup sweeper. Belly Drum is for setup, Self-Destruct is another last resort. Body Slam is for para chance while Fire Blast is for pesky Forretress and Skarmory that think they can switch into this.

Other options:

houndoom.png
Houndoom @ Leftovers
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Counter
- Solarbeam

Fire Blast for STAB, Crunch for STAB. Counter for Physical Attackers that think they can take you down. Solar Beam is for a reliable grass type move under the Sun.

espeon.png
Espeon @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Morning Sun
- Growth
- Baton Pass

Psychic for reliable STAB, Morning Sun for full recovery under the Sun. Growth for a plus 2 under the Sun. Baton Pass to pass your Growth.

So that's it for Team Firestarter. Please leave your comments below on how to improve or metagame against this firey team!

You Equake Ttar to death with a BDrummed Charizard, and with Snorlax you just Burn it or attempt to explode on it with Exeggutor, Forretress or Lax. Since Blissey has Sing you can Sing one or the other and hopefully setup for a KO.

On the other hand you can Twave Snorlax or Tyranitar mid game and hope to setup with Lax later. Also getting a Bdrummed Lax with Body Slam setup works too. The para chance from BSlam helps tremendously.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah you're gonna need a better concept than "fire moves are good" to build a good team in GSC... or any gen really. It's not even a terribly interesting gimmick if you're shooting for that.

Houndoom is the only legit anti-meta mon here, but you don't use Pursuit on it nor is it part of your main squad. If you really wanna punish Egg usage, use Pursuit Houndoom.

You Equake Ttar to death with a BDrummed Charizard, and with Snorlax you just Burn it or attempt to explode on it with Exeggutor, Forretress or Lax. Since Blissey has Sing you can Sing one or the other and hopefully setup for a KO.

On the other hand you can Twave Snorlax or Tyranitar mid game and hope to setup with Lax later. Also getting a Bdrummed Lax with Body Slam setup works too. The para chance from BSlam helps tremendously.
How is Zard switching in and setting up a Drum on TTar? Also I'm still not seeing any sort of reasonable CurseLax plan. Like, you do realise how incredibly unreliable burns are right? You're looking at a 10% chance at best. Blissey is a terrible response to either, because that means you're probably switching in, which already puts it in a poor position, then you're relying on Sing, which is prone to missing, is blocked by any other status, and is dependent on sleep clause not being active. That's a lot of problems right there. Likewise, relying on parahax isn't great. You've got just one reliable spreader of it (which, coincidentally, has no hope of switching into either TTar or Lax) and even then it's just a 25% chance. If you're trying to set up BD with something, more often than not you're going to get wrecked by relying on those odds.

Lastly, I'll address explosion, since this is something that genuinely helps against Lax. The problem here though, is it's your only feasible option of taking Lax down. Even on more aggressive teams, you'll see at least one pokemon that can switch into Lax, take a hit and force it out, meaning explosion is not the only option. Relying exclusively on Explosion is just not adequate, since it assumes you'll always be on the front foot against a CurseLax (not true), and that you'll never get predicted (not true), as well as being a potentially very costly strategy even if it all goes to plan. If Lax gets a Curse under its belt, it suddenly has the bulk to live these explosions and rest it off, never mind if it gets two or more curses. If Lax doesn't yet have any boosts, why would it stay in on a predicted explosion? Egg and Forre are both known to run it, and certainly Forre can't do anything to Lax other than boom. And playing Lax as a hit and run attacker is extremely viable, especially since your team has no good switchins to Lax and it leans heavily on Blissey.

Also what Jorgen said, this team I don't think is redeemable because its concept is too poor

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello Shax !

Unfortunately, this RMT is currently not following the rules which can be found in the RMT Resource Thread; specifically, this thread violates rule #4, because you lack sufficient descriptions for each Pokemon on your team. As such, I am afraid that I will have to lock this thread for the time being. If you would like this thread to be reopened, feel free to PM me with your updated RMT, and I would be happy to reopen this thread for you. If you need help making an RMT up to the required standards, I recommend that you carefully read the RMT Resource Thread and check out other RMTs from the Team Showcase and RMT Archive for some examples.

Good luck with your team, and have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)