Media Videogame thread

Is this the right place to say how disappointed I am about Nintendo's plan for E3 this year?
To think that I would once regret for not giving a fuck about Zelda...though I would be disappointed regardless.
You're extremely right. Nintendo just pretty much killed Star Fox because considering we haven't had an ORIGINAL game before zero for 10 YEARS, They say "You don't have too use motion controls" then they lie about it and make you use a terrible control scheme. I don't have two sets of eyes. But I can guarantee they won't update the game so you can play with thr pro controller which is what we wanted all along but they don't pay attention and they want to be "innovative", as in gimmicky. Whats most dissapointing about it is how it feels like the game was made not for fans of the series, but too justify the shitpad, which doesn't serve much use for most games outside wiping your ass with it.

Persona 5 looks great, I'm also really happy to know enough Japanese that I'll be comfortable importing it because the Japanese voice cast is ridiculous, pretty much every single major character is someone popular and well known in the anime/video game world.

the aggressive censorship and cringey attempts to be hip are all the weirder when you consider that #FE's only real target audience is hardcore weebs, to the point where there's not even an English voice track

Nintendo has been doing a really horrible job at marketing #FE. They completely butchered this game's release in japan (the main place a game like this would sell) by releasing on a day after Christmas with no marketing whatsoever and it looks like they are going to do the same in the US with these cringeworthy commercials.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I imagine part of all of this may be how the Atlus team and the FE teams have been working together. Between the two videogame companies and their styles of work, I doubt there wasn't at least some sort of trouble between the two. I remember reading that Capcom and Level 5 had that issue when making Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney.

I just need to come here and scream about Saurian! If you haven't heard about Saurian yet, google it now if you love dinosaurs. Do it.

So you did? Good. Because Saurian's kickstarter, for 55,000, was completed in A DAY AND A HALF! :D Now we're going towards stretch goals!

I am just so hyped right now. I am so excited. This game is what I've dreamed of. It's something I've always wanted in a dinosaur game. Now it's a reality. In Janurary 2017 we can expect to see the most accurate dinosaur simulation to date.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So here's what I've been playing in the recent past.

Star Fox Zero : Yeah I know this game is divisive as all hell, but for some reason the motion controls clicked VERY well with me actually! I mean the games a bit short and I feel like alternate paths aren't implemented as well as they were in Star Fox Zero, but still, I think I haven't disagreed with critical consensus like that in quite some time, because for once this is a Star Fox game I love that isn't the original or Star Fox 64!

Quantum Break : This game was hyped a lot early in the Xbox One's life, and it just came out last month. It's a bit short and cinematic, but the time mechanics are a great innovation, and as far as I'm concerned, show that Remedy still has what it takes to make good third person shooters! Also, it came with both Alan Wake games, I'm gonna have to give those a try later...

Ratchet and Clank : FINALLY, WE GOT ANOTHER GOOD RATCHET AND CLANK GAME! This is a remake if the 1st one, but since I haven't played that in eons, it feels pretty fresh to me. Only thing is that the humor really isn't clicking with me, and I've heard the movie is total garbage, so avoid that. For once, seems like the video game is better than the movie :P

Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End : Probably my most hyped game of the year besides Pokemon Sun and Moon, and the new Deus Ex. So how did it turn out? It was pretty damn good! However, it didn't quite meet my expectations. Mainly, the game's pacing is a bit wonky. I don't mind the slow beginning since its great for setting up the mood of the adventure, but the game has WAY less firefights than other Uncharted games, but it doesn't make up for it in other areas: the platforming is still braindead "find the highlighted edge" junk, most of the puzzles aren't that entertaining (except for one of the last ones, which was excellent), and in general, this adventure doesn't feel as replayable as say, Uncharted 2. Still though, the story is excellent, and the firefights are still massively improved from other Uncharted games, so this is probably my 2nd favorite Uncharted (behind Uncharted 2)!

Pocket Card Jockey : Gamefreak hit a real homerun here, because holy fuck this game is addictive! The basic idea is that you play solitaire to power up your horse in a race. Its a very odd game, but its also a very mechanically deep game that has a good tutorial to explain stuff, and a strangely dark comedy script. Its for the 3DS and less than 10 bucks, so you should probably get this game! I'm damn near tempted to make a thread for the game actually...

Doom : My biggest surprise of the year, in that I think its the best game this year so far! With the wonky E3 presentation and with holding of review copies, I figured we had a trainwreck on our hands. Instead, we have by far the best First Person Shooter campaign this generation! Now for you Doom purists, this isn't quite like Doom: Instead of a focus on resource management, knowing health spawns, and monster infighting (though that is in the game), you got an adrenaline fueled combat game that almost feels like "what would happen if we made a great, single player arena shooter?" (It even has Quake power-ups!). The game is an absolute joy to play, so I'd recommend this game to anyone who wants a different kind of FPS than the usual Call of Duty Campaign.

I mean, I'm a huge MegaMan fan so I'll likely pick up the game, but with:
  • 3+ delays spanning over a year
  • constant miscommunication between backers and the devs leaving the people who funded 4 million dollars for the game in the dark
  • the horrible graphics, especially for a 4 million dollar budget (the explosions in that trailer look like pizzas mashed together)
  • the awful marketing as seen by the speaker in that trailer ("sadder than an anime fan on prom night", way to insult a huge chunk of your fanbase who funded your game)
people are nowhere near excited for that game anymore. I mean, look at the amount of dislikes on that video, even the Sonic The Hedgehog twitter AND a game dev took a shot at it for how bad it was. The initial hype for the game is simply nonexistent now, especially considering we were originally supposed to get this game in Spring 2015 lol

Don't get me wrong, the gamplay looks decently fun, but everything else here just makes me come to the realization that Capcom is Megaman's last hope, which is a really scary thought.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So apparently Deep Silver, the guys who released that trailer and are publishing Mighty No. 9, had a hand in the infamously bad Ride to Hell: Retribution.

They're also going to publish Bloodstained, another Kickstarter-funded game that is curbing off of Castlevania the same way MN9 is curbing off of Mega Man.

This doesn't bode well, and I honestly want Bloodstained to be good.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't be too worried about Bloodstained. Igarashi is very transparent with backers (sends out monthly updates, asks for feedback, shows us early footage etc) and while he's supervising the project it can never turn out bad, they've also handled everything super well so far as opposed to MN9 which looked dodgy from day 1. They know exactly what people want and know how to deliver it, and unlike MN9 they've already made Miriam (the protagonist) a good icon/mascot for the game that's more than just an obvious mega man knock off.. and yes i do know that's the point of MN9 but like seriously lol

Deep Silver also published decent series/titles including Metro, Saints Row, and Dead Island. The publisher shouldn't really matter too much unless they're censoring shit or not allowing the devs to do what they wanna do, and they don't seem to be the kinda publishers to do that iirc, so it's all good so far.

How they handle marketing tho, that's the problem lol

So nintendo already slapped me in the face so many times this year. I am so disappointed in nintendo for the minute. Outside of pokemon sun and moon and the fire emblem games and star fox and I guess ace attorney (it's made by capcom though so I shouldn't count that) you have nothing that generates my interest and this is on your HANDHELD SYSTEMS not your HOME CONSOLE systems. Then to add more salt in the wound you guys are already setting the bar low for yourself at E3 and setting up a high bar for E3 as well. You are showcasing ONE game at E3 and that's zelda for the wii u. Don't get me wrong zelda is a great franchise however, you've delayed this game for about 2-3 years and this is also the only game your bringing to your disappointing E3. You're creating such a high bar right now nintendo because, so many people are going to be infuriated after waiting all those years for this game and then if it fails to live up to everyone's expectation then your screwed. This isn't even the thing that infuriated me the most.

Yesterday I read an article claiming that nintendo is going to POSTPONE the launch of the NX to add virtual reality...However, during this time of the year you were supposed to be manufacturing the NX instead you're delaying things to add a feature at such a late point in the ball game. While adding a few features is fine but, doing it when you're supposed to manufacture the product shows me how lost you guys are. You guys may have some money right now however, this is your last shot nintendo. I don't understand why you can't make a cheap console that can have good specs and simple controller with simple hardware. If you can do that much everyone would be buying your units left and right. Sigh. Hopefully everything I said is wrong and I can be proven wrong for once.

On the bright side Fire Emblem is an amazing game. Conquest is amazing so far and I probably will get birthright and revelations soon. These games may not be as great as Awakening however there still amazing games. These games actually kinda make up for the disappointing year so far from nintendo...

Nintendo has been literal shit for years
Not completely true. These past two years yes they've been shit however, keep in mind that Nintendo as a company actually isn't doing terrible financially. There probably doing a lot better financially than Sony. Keep in mind sony sells other products that aren't video games. And plus nintendo still has the 3ds which can get them sales anyday it semms...I know because I bought a new 3ds ll and there's only one exclusive game for it so far...

They're not in a great position either, financially or otherwise. If I'm remembering correctly they recently posted a profitable quarter (mostly thanks to a couple big sellers like Smash and ORAS) but that's after several years of straight losses and it's probably not something they can do constantly, they have enough capital to deal with that for some time but it won't last forever.

Meanwhile, they're rushing to kill the WiiU and get the NX out the door, which will probably help somewhat in the short term but hurts their brand. 4 years is a pretty sad console lifetime, especially by today's standards. Devoting development resources to mobile development is also not a bad idea in and of itself but it's a bit concerning when you consider the trouble they had putting out enough games to keep the WiiU afloat as it was.

I'm hoping the NX will be a unified home console/portable, which would help prevent another barren console situation like the WiiU had. Ultimately I wouldn't mind seeing them go the way of Sega and drop hardware but continue on as a software developer, they've got a lot of good franchises and talented people but both my Wii and WiiU have felt like disappointing purchases, and I'm sure 3DS would be the same way if it weren't for all the 3rd party support it's gotten.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
there's only one exclusive game for it so far...
You're forgetting all the SNES games that they have in the eShop that are New 3DS exclusive releases. Current gen New 3DS games, yes, but exclusives on it? There are quite a few (Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country games, etc).

You're forgetting all the SNES games that they have in the eShop that are New 3DS exclusive releases. Current gen New 3DS games, yes, but exclusives on it? There are quite a few (Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country games, etc).
Forgot about those. Still not a ton though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)