2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Ibrahimovic signing for Man Utd, this seems to spell the end for Rooney since I don't see Mourinho playing both of them together.

Also, has the Serie A always been filled with players of age 30 or more?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Arsenal initiates a hostile trigger on the release clause on Vardy's contract, rumours are that they are also actively conspiring for Mahrez, Drinkwater, and Kante. Huh that's interesting. Mahrez is being actively courted by "at least 3 top clubs" but that was to be expected (he's 25 an still possibly has half a decade of peak performance ahead of him) rather than a bidding war over a 29yo 2 season phenomenon.

PL club tactics, especially when it comes to striker shopping has been very puzzling this season. First Ibra an now this.

Last edited:
Drinkwater is shit. No way he's real top4 club material.

Vardy could be cool, but he's not the answer. Our shit defending needs so much help. Fucking Mertesacker can go fuck off. Same with Gabriel.

Vardy said he would make his decision before the EUROs.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I am still very puzzled because Arsenal and Leicester have polar opposite playstyles and Vardy thrives on a very different kind of pace-based chance creation (courtesy mahrez, and his own insane bursts) rather than arsenal's concentrated methodical approach to the goalbox. Plus the financially conservative manager renowned for signing young talent (read: football fetuses) going in a bidding contest for a 29yo Vardy seems so un-Wenger in general.

But what I'm sure of is that if he leaves, no way Mahrez and Kante are sticking around.

PL club tactics, especially when it comes to striker shopping has been very puzzling this season. First Ibra an now this.
Erm, I think Man Utd signing Ibrahimovic is sound though. Yes, he is old but he still scores for fun pretty much everywhere he goes. Plus, he has the experience to guide Rashford and Martial who can play the striker role later on (Rooney isn't good enough anymore). Good signing. Will have high wages but it will be worth it.

Vardy - well, Arsenal have needed a good striker for ages and this guy knows where the net is. Sure, he plays for a different style but at least he can put the ball into the net as Giroud isn't very consistent.

Kante and Mahrez - Probably will join top CL clubs since they're relatively young.

I am still very puzzled because Arsenal and Leicester have polar opposite playstyles and Vardy thrives on a very different kind of pace-based chance creation (courtesy mahrez, and his own insane bursts) rather than arsenal's concentrated methodical approach to the goalbox. Plus the financially conservative manager renowned for signing young talent (read: football fetuses) going in a bidding contest for a 29yo Vardy seems so un-Wenger in general.

But what I'm sure of is that if he leaves, no way Mahrez and Kante are sticking around.
Yeah Vardy doesn't really look like a typical Wenger signing but if you think about it, we shouldn't be too surprised. First of all, Wenger loves players that have risen up through the leagues. He signed Giroud and Koscielny as well as Jenkinson who have all came up through the lower leagues. He said before that people who work up through the ladder have more desire and determination; he also said that an average player who makes a great career gives him the most satisfaction because you know they have made the most of their talent.

Secondly and most importantly, Vardy has a release clause for £20m. A striker who just scored 24 goals in the PL with three years to run on their contract would command £30m as a minimum in the current market and he is not too old yet. Van Persie sold for £24m but that was a few years ago and he was in the last year of his contract. Right now the most efficient way to spend £20m would be on Vardy because he's severely underpriced. If anything this is such a typical Wenger move: going for efficiency and the maximum value for money.

Would he fit Arsenal? I don't think that would be too much of a concern for Wenger. I'm sure Giroud is very much still part of his plans and he is looking to strengthen his other options. If he can get Giroud, Welbeck and Vardy then that eases the pressure surrounding Walcott who can then be freely sold or allowed to prove his worth without having to rely on him. Is Vardy top quality? That's the problem for Arsenal fans because even though he is no doubt the best value purchase right now who can improve the team, can anyone seriously say he's the world class forward that can win Arsenal the title? He seems like another option to Giroud rather than a replacement so Wenger is once again relying on team efficiency rather than individual brilliance. I would support the signing of Vardy but Wenger has to get the team balance right to make the most of it.

Peru very lucky to get away with a point against Ecuador, they threw away a 2 goal lead and ended up holding on for dear life lol. If Ecuador advances to the next round (which I see as likely because they should handle Haiti and Brazil should beat Peru), then they are a dangerous team to play against in the knockout stage.

Just thought I'd comment on that game, it was one of the most exciting games I've watched in recent memory. Watching South American teams play is always fun due to the open natures of the games.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Just thought I'd comment on that game, it was one of the most exciting games I've watched in recent memory. Watching South American teams play is always fun due to the open natures of the games.
Used to be true in the past, but over the last 5+ years watching South American football has been pretty awful, scrappy games, low amount of goals (except on stomps), and very cynical playstyle, on top of very low technical quality in comparison to european teams. The games are only enjoyable when the teams literally start fighting ala Suarez or something...

Not to mention the standard of defending has gone down the drain. You can see that in the Brazil v Haiti game where players of both sides make lots of errors when defending and the goalkeeper who conceded 7 was probably Haiti's best player on the pitch.

They also don't really have good midfielders anymore, preferring to produce forwards and No.10s instead.

Romania unlucky to not have gotten a point today, but Payet was brilliant all game and pulled off the winner. Props to him, but France clearly have issues moving forward. Looking ahead, I'm interested in seeing how they play against Switzerland, who I have as a dark horse this tournament.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Wow, Wales-Slowakia showing how 'useful' the backline referee is... How that wasn't a penalty + red card for Skrtel I can't understand...

Great game last night between France and Romania. The Wales vs Slovakia game has been scrappy but entertaining nonetheless. Hamsik does not deserve to be on the losing team, he's been really good! I'm really happy for Wales tho!

edit: Haha my prediction for England was right! Vardy dropped and Sterling and Lallana on the wings. He didn't drop Dier for Wilshere but I think that would have been too left field. Honestly I think this is England's strongest team and there's Vardy, Sturridge and even Rashford ready to make a difference from the bench.

Last edited:
Well that's an England game if ever I saw one

I don't why I'm surprised tbh - they do this every time. They played well but not as well as the commentators think they did - we rarely broke down a shitty Russian side that couldn't string 5 passes together, and despite constant pressure we needed an Akinfeev fuck-up from a freekick that shouldn't've been given to score (Though tbf Akinfeev did pull off a worldie save just beforehand). After that we wasted so many more opportunities and so the Russian goal was inevitable.

In terms of individual performances, I think it was Rooney > Walker > Sterling, Sterling was brilliant in the first half but almost nonexistent in the second. It seemed like every attack for England came through Rooney's through balls/crossfield passes, so all the naysayers about him can shut the fuck (Which includes me before the game tbh). Lallana was shit throughout, Kane had an off-day, and Hart was surprisingly piss-poor with his delivery.

Overall we'll still get out of this group but manage to fuck up to the point where we need like an 89th minute Smalling header against Slovakia to nab 2nd or something.

Also why the fuck was Kane taking the corners? He has a good presence in the box godammit!

Rooney takes an age to setup with his passing and does not always get his first touch right either, Russia are slow to close down and don't have a stacked midfield he tries that shit against Germany or a France midfield with Kante and Maitudi he will get shut down.

It happens at United, Bayern did it to Xavi and Iniesta when Barcelona got destroyed 7 -0, Spain did it to Pirlo in the last Euros, Rooney doesn't have close to their speed in passing.

Last edited:
Rooney was brilliant in the first half, good in the second. Same for Sterling. Lallana faded, but his movement off the ball was good. Kane...why were you taking corners? Should have been subbed off.

I blame the manager in all honesty. You do not try to defend a 1-0 lead with 20 mins, you go for the throat with a second goal. Vardy/Sturridge should have been on instead of Milner - although in all fairness, Drinkwater/Noble should have been on if you were to defend a lead, but not much England can do now..

Was it any surprise that as soon as Rooney went off the organization went out the window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)