Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts:

The battle music is AMAZING. I don't think I've seen anyone talk about it yet, but it's so good.

The woodpecker is cute, I'll probably use it but I think this game I may not be using the early game flying type due to having Rowlet.

The mongoose looks... not good. That mouth is just creepy. But, I do love the idea of a Pokemon imported into the region to deal with the overpopulation of another Pokemon (likely a rat or snake, which DOES happen in real life), which I don't think they've done before.
Grubbin? Meh. Never liked bugs, so I'll probably pass on that.

Also, the fact that it shows effectiveness is pretty cool. I'm kind of more partial to knowing the type chart and I think that kind of makes things too easy, but I get why they did it and it'll be nice not to have to think about fairy-type so much. However, the one thing I'm bummed about it, since in a month or two I plan to go info-blind and stop checking things, there won't be as much of the "ooh what type is this pokemon?" moments. I won't be playing the guessing game at all to figure it out, it'll just be known by how the types effect it.

Am I the only one disappointed with Battle Royale mode? Ending the battle as soon as a single player runs out of Pokemon goes against the point of a free-for-all imo
Not exactly. The thing is, this encourages people not to just simply target one player. Normally, in a 4-way match, you might see everyone else target one person to make their ranking better, and if people do that here then the battle just ends. It encourages you to defeat as many Pokemon as possible and spread the kills amongst the other players, instead of just targeting one.

Underwhelming in what sense? A sweeper whose attack can not be lowered by Intimidate is not a joke, and the same goes with one of the best abilities in the game, Multiscale. The only thing underwhelming about them is the fact that they look like carboncopy versions of Clear Body/White Smoke and Multiscale, but that doesn't make these abilities bad. But I agree with you, they should get some type of temporary boost to their stats or their abilities, or both, that would be way more exciting.

I'm really fond of the earlier route mons specially because they have decent abilities (well, except Grubbin, but that's kinda compensated by it's info). It's reminiscent to what they did with Gen 6 (Talonflame, Diggersby and Vivillon) and gets me hopeful that they will be able to pull their own weight later on the game. Now all I can wish for is Type changes/additions for Pikipek and Yungoos (since Electric is heavily implied for Grubbin already), and of course that the designs will be good, which they weren't for those Gen 6 mons, imho.

I really want to know their type changes already, lol.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Also, the fact that it shows effectiveness is pretty cool. I'm kind of more partial to knowing the type chart and I think that kind of makes things too easy, but I get why they did it and it'll be nice not to have to think about fairy-type so much. However, the one thing I'm bummed about it, since in a month or two I plan to go info-blind and stop checking things, there won't be as much of the "ooh what type is this pokemon?" moments. I won't be playing the guessing game at all to figure it out, it'll just be known by how the types effect it.
Type effectiveness isn't shown until you defeat the Pokémon for the first time, so you'll still have a chance to figure out its type.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So Yungoose is catching my interest. Stakeout basically acts as a built-in Pursuit effect for all of its attacks, so Return would have 204 BP on the switch... neat. Yungoose and whatever its evolution will be will probably have low Attack to compensate for the power boost like how Bunnelby and Diggersby have low Attack to balance out Huge Power.

*Edit

Errr, I misread how the ability worked. Apparently Stakeout kicks in AFTER the opponent switches in, not DURING the switch like Pursuit. But that's just as good honestly, since it limits what can switch into it. Thanks to those that corrected me though.

Pikipek is looking to be a decent Pokemon for the story just based on its ability, since Skill Link Fury Attack will be useful early-game. I don't know how many multi-hit moves it'll get, but I'm pretty sure it'll at least get Bullet Seed judging from a description on Serebii: "Pikipek will attack distant opponents by zipping seeds at them. These shots have enough strength to embed the seeds in tree trunks." So if that passage means Pikipek gets Bullet Seed, then it at least has a way of fighting Rock-types.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm curious as to how Hidden Power will work with regards to it showing type effectiveness, since it's listed as Normal-type but can be anything other than Normal and Fairy. Since there are now NPCs in every game that tell you the Hidden Power type, I'd imagine the effectiveness indicator would work normally.

Stakeout basically acts as a built-in Pursuit effect for all of its attacks, so Return would have 204 BP on the switch... neat.
Not quite.
Pokémon.com said:
With the Stakeout Ability, this Pokémon’s moves can deal twice the normal damage to any Pokémon that switch in or enter the field mid-battle.
Stakeout acts more like a super-charged Analytic, minus the bonus damage for moving after the target.

I love the fact that they incorporated the issue of invasive species. I had a similar idea a while back but I figured it'd be something like Meowth that would cause problems for the native species. I'm ecstatic they went another route because Yungoos is: 1) Adorable, and 2) Could potentially have competitive merit. I think all of these are probably early route Pokemon. Yungoos reminds me of Zigzagoon and Grubbin/Pikipek appear to be the starter bug/bird, respectively. Speaking of which, my hype is real for Pikipek. Same color scheme as Staraptor (I'm color blind but it looks the same to me? Check! Based on an awesome bird? Check! Awesome ability and potential to rock in-game? Check!

I'd love to see it evolve into a Pileated Woodpecker but a Downy or Hairy seems more likely. I really hope it gets some cool moves like Drill Run, Drill Peck, Bullet Seed, etc. These seem likely based on its flavor text and design. Staraptor seems like just about the only bird that'll get Close Combat so I'm not even considering that right now. Rowlet + Pikipek + four more birds and let me choose bird keeper as my in-game avatar. The in-battle animations seem to have more personality at least for these first few 'mons we've seen. Also, it's great to see trainers in battle and the GUI looks much improved. So much hype.

Underwhelming in what sense? A sweeper whose attack can not be lowered by Intimidate is not a joke, and the same goes with one of the best abilities in the game, Multiscale. The only thing underwhelming about them is the fact that they look like carboncopy versions of Clear Body/White Smoke and Multiscale, but that doesn't make these abilities bad. But I agree with you, they should get some type of temporary boost to their stats or their abilities, or both, that would be way more exciting.
That's exactly why they're underwhelming to me. Other than that, Full Metal Body/Clear Body/White Smoke are surely better than standard "pressure" but far from outstanding as abilities. Shadow Shield/Multiscale is awesome competitively, but mostly on the right thing... Lugia and Dragonite are great abusers of it, Lunaala has a terrible defensive typing (4x weaknesses to ghost AND dark and few resistances) and it need to be really speedy or incredibly bulky to be able to use it efficiently. If it just had Fairy instead of Psychic, it would've been much much better. Still, I wasn't implying that they're bad abilities, just that they're underwhelming for being legendaries signature abilities (as much as Turboblaze/Teravolt). Soul Heart is just better: similar to moxie, but specially oriented and way more powerful in doubles. If only Full Metal Body and Shadow Shield had something more then just their actual effects... That's where I'm hoping Solgaleo/Lunaala phases will make up for them.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Did anyone else scream when Yungoose was caught and then the screen switched to the Rotomdex so we couldn't see it's dex number?
It's probably #13 considering Pikpik's numbering and the fact it's likely the regional rodent... but my lord did I scream
I'm pretty sure they did it on purpose... I mean the IRC chat went a bit mad when that happened too haha... Everyone wanted to see its Dex/Type. At least they released more info on the website anyway.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I too like yungoose. And dang, you sure whipped out that plushie fast! The picture quality is a bit fuzzy, but it looks awesome!
Thanks. Took me about half an hour to plan it, and then slightly more than 2 hours to make it.
Could have been under 2 hours if I didn't use the wrong stitch on the front legs. I had to go back and correct my stitching.

I'm pretty sure they did it on purpose... I mean the IRC chat went a bit mad when that happened too haha... Everyone wanted to see its Dex/Type. At least they released more info on the website anyway.
I'm not entirely sure why of all things they'd want to hide it's dex number though. And even if so they could have had the guy just knock it out

But yeah on a more positive note, I loved everything shown. It's pretty interesting to start building a roster of what's confirmed to be in the game (starters, legendaries, regional bird, regional rodent, pichu, ledyba, caterpie, meowth, those two from corocoro), and while I was way more hyped for what was shown of Zelda, I'm still really excited for this :D
I'll have to check out the abilities and stuff more when I have my laptop back. Internet with just a phone is not fun

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Not everyone can work out type effectiveness so quickly. I mean, some Pokemon have 2 types and it gets complicated.
It doesn't make the game dumb-- you don't know the opposing Pokemon's base stats!

I'm not entirely sure why of all things they'd want to hide it's dex number though. And even if so they could have had the guy just knock it out

But yeah on a more positive note, I loved everything shown. It's pretty interesting to start building a roster of what's confirmed to be in the game (starters, legendaries, regional bird, regional rodent, pichu, ledyba, caterpie, meowth, those two from corocoro), and while I was way more hyped for what was shown of Zelda, I'm still really excited for this :D
I'll have to check out the abilities and stuff more when I have my laptop back. Internet with just a phone is not fun
Especially when they've uploaded its descriptions on the official website.

Popplio's stat lvl 6 when leveling to 7 :
Thanks for this. Combining this with a screenshot of level 8 I took, I estimated Popplio's base stats.
Assumptions:
-Neutral nature: Frankly, this is a stupid assumption to make since 4/5 of natures aren't neutral, but I don't care enough to include all the possible stat increases/decreases from natures for what's a very loose estimation already.
-No EVs: Strictly speaking this isn't true, but it's unlikely that Popplio has 4 EVs in any one stat at this point and even if it did it would make a very slight difference.

Stats in order of HP/Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed
Level 6:
43-66/18-41/43-66/52-73/52-73/35-58

Level 7:
49-71/21-42/42-64/49-71/49-71/28-49

Level 8:
47-68/22-43/47-68/47-68/47-68/29-49

Combining these, I get:

49-66/22-41/47-64/52-68/52-68/35-49

Doesn't really narrow it down much, but what are you gonna do with such low-level stats. Shame Popplio didn't quite reach Level 9.

Also, I suspect some form of EXP Scaling is back. From the stream:

Level 6 Popplio catching Level 3 Ledyba: 21 EXP
Level 7 Popplio catching Level 2 Yungoose: 10 EXP
Level 7 Popplio defeating Level 3 Caterpie: 14 EXP (Trainer)
Level 7 Popplio defeating Level 4 Yungoose: 28 EXP (Trainer)
Level 3 Ledyba catching Level 5 Pikipek: 69 EXP
Level 7 Popplio defeating Level 6 Pichu: 44 EXP (Trainer)
Level 8 Popplio defeating Level 7 Litten: 81 EXP (Trainer)

I got all the values for completion's sake, but the notable part is the one fight Ledyba (much lower-leveled than Popplio) participates in. Pikipek gives Ledyba substantially more EXP than its earlygame brethren. While it is higher leveled than them, I don't feel it's by enough to justify the extreme difference-it gives more than double the EXP of the Level 4 Yungoose despite being a wild Pokemon.

That is not stupid. I can tell you as somebody that did not play a pokemon game since gen 1 and then catch up in gen 5, i missed a lot of things. Telling which move is super effective against a pokemon is helpful to newcomers that do not know the typings of more than 700 pokemons
It reduces the knowledge skill cap, therefor dumbing the game down. Which is silly thing to do considering the games are unbelievably easy already. Memorizing pokemon types and the type chart should be rewarding, not just a "good job" man.

Edit: To the "it gets complicated with pokemon with two types bit" Not really? It is a simple bit of knowledge that is not much to expect out of people. I mean it is not hard to remember that a typing that is weak to Ground when paired with another typing that is weak to Ground becomes even weaker to ground. Nor is it hard to remember that a pokemon that has one typing that is weak to Grass but another that resists Grass becomes Neutral to it. Dual typings hardly complicate things at all. Also just because they didn't remove all knowledge based skill from the game (Knowing base stats is the example given) does not mean there was not a reduction of this skill.

Last edited:
It reduces the knowledge skill cap, therefor dumbing the game down. Which is silly thing to do considering the games are unbelievably easy already. Memorizing pokemon types and the type chart should be rewarding, not just a "good job" man.
The type chart is one of the most basic aspects in the game, so it's not like it's oh so dumbing the game down too much. And you have to beat a Pokemon first for the effectiveness hint against it to show up, anyways.

The type chart is one of the most basic aspects in the game, so it's not like it's oh so dumbing the game down too much. And you have to beat a Pokemon first for the effectiveness hint against it to show up, anyways.
You don't know how easy it is to beat a pokemon without first learning its typing. That being said to your argument that it is not dumbing it down much, that doesn't matter, it still is. Anysort of dumbing down is something that should be avoided IMO. I personally hate easy games and that is why I haven't enjoyed the in game story part of pokemon in both 5th and 6th gen (Competitive (Smogon style) is great in 6th and the new designs were awesome in 6th as well). So I will stand against any more of it happening.

Edit: To the above post: Yes, he looks amazing in that art. Regal and dangerous looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)