Other Metagames (BH) Why Try Harder

WHY TRY HARDER

Hi, my name is Qplaz, and this is my second BH team. I've been using my past one for over seven months now, and it was starting to wear a little thin, so I built around one of my favourite mons in BH.
This is a relatively standard BH team, based off an old post in the OM Good Cores thread (basically I thought of the core and had a quick look and of course someone had come up with it before me- this is where the name Why Try Harder stems from, as half my team is a recycled core). The idea is that DD Dialga smashes through walls, while the other members make up for what Dialga lacks.

Teambuilding Process
Naturally, I started with Dialga, as this is who the team is built around.

Now, the one thing that rains on Dialga's parade is Sturdinja. Thus, I added possibly the greatest check to him in the meta: Mold Breaker Gengar.

Dialga is also very weak to imposter users. To check this, I added Magnet Pull Xerneas, which can get to +6 with Quiver Dance while the poor imposter user runs out of PP.

After this, I added a Magic Bounce Registeel as somewhat of an -ate check and the glue of the team.

The next step was to add my own -ate to check faster teams, suicide leads and hurt things in general. I picked Mray for this as he hits the hardest.

Finally, I added Imposter Chansey, as it is too good of a Pokemon not to put on most teams.

The Team

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Doom Desire
- Draco Meteor
- Tail Glow
- King's Shield

Dialga is the one which I built the team around. It is a fearsome wallbreaker, and the combination of Doom Desire + Tinted Lense forces the opponent to sac something half the time. Draco Meteor provides great damage and gives an attack to put bulkier mons potentially in the range of getting killed by Doom Desire. King's Shield allows me to scout for attacks, and the stat drop that comes with it is crucial to the team's success.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Earth Power

Xerneas is my imposter proofing for Dialga. The moment an imposter comes in, I switch to Xern. Sub allows it to avoid DD and also gives a safe way to set up Quiver Dance. Moonblast is obligatory STAB, and Earth Power covers the steel, poison and fire issues that come with Xerneas' STAB. As Dialga can't touch it with any method apart from DD, it means that I can permanently remove an imposter from the match.

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Secret Sword
- Shell Smash
- Pursuit

Mega Gengar is my main Shedinja counter, which would otherwise be threatening to the team, and it comes with the bonus of being able to imposter proof itself. Pursuit can trap shedinja, removing it from the battle permanently, while Spooky Plate Judgement can put out serious amounts of damage. Secret Sword provides decent coverage and Shell Smash allows for the late game sweep (once priority users have been removed).

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Metal Burst
- Heal Order
- Whirlwind

Imposter Chansey can do so many things at once. It can wallbreak, sweep, scout for moves, be a switch in for nearly everything, all the while being near unkillable without dedicated strategies. The moves don't matter all too much, but Fake Out can break illusions and Metal Burst deals high damage if Chansey gets hit. Heal Order allows it to shrug off most damage and pairs well with metal burst. Whirlwind phases stuff hiding behind subs and stuff with stat boosts, as well as other imposters.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled

Registeel functions as the glue for my team, as well as a semi-reliable -ate check thanks to its steel typing. Knock Off removes items and is painful for offensive, balanced and defensive teams alike. Defog removes hazards and allows me to switch freely, and aromatherapy removes the team's status conditions. Soft Boiled extends the longevity of Registeel. Magic Bounce is the chosen set as it can reflect hazards and status, potentially saving time and effort.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Sky Plate
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Magma Storm

I picked Mega Rayquaza as my -ate user as it hits just that little bit harder than the other users, and sits at a reasonable speed tier. Fake Out and Extreme Speed coupled with Aerilate KO a large portion of the meta. Boomburst deals insane damage, often OHKOing relatively bulky things. Magma Storm can stop the Shedinja switch in and trap things, as well as deal super effective damage to steels.

Stuff to Think About
  • I have minimal imposter proofing for Mega Rayquaza.
  • Poison Heal users, especially Mega Tyranitar, are a pain to switch in to.
  • Magma Storm on Rayquaza could be replaced by a better coverage move given that I already have a decent Shedinja check in Mega Gengar.
  • No entry hazards (entry hazards would be helpful with Dialga's ability to force switches)
  • King's Shield may not be the best fourth move for Dialga
  • Not sure about the usage of team slots, especially the bottom half of the team (Chansey, Registeel, Mega Rayquaza). I have thought about adding a defensive pivot (e.g. Regenvest) or a Poison Heal user (defensive or offensive) in this slot instead.
  • Xerneas is a pretty niche pick, as it only walls Dialga and some defensive Registeel variants. However, the imposter proofing is necessary
Importable can be found here: http://pastebin.com/GAhuhXLU

Last edited:
BH, finally. Nice team mate, but TBH, and no offence meant, it's too generic. I mean if I saw that team in the match preview, I would know exactly how to counter it. Well, any team can be made successful by a skilled player, so having a generic team is a minor drawback. As I see it download pdon wreaks you sack a mon and switch to change, he'll switch to his imposter counter and frankly destroy you. The issue with using DD dialga is that you require a dedicated counter in magnet pull and it rarely does much else. Well, I'm on my phone now so I can't elaborate much, but if you need help feel free to pm me on showdown.

Pretty standard team with few need for changes. My only suggestion is Flash Fire over Magic Bounce on Registeel. This way you're safe from -ates, including your own. While Magic Bounce is nice, it is not essential for this team to function and you need Flash Fire to absorb Magma Storms from an Impostered Ray. I wouldn't change the moves except maybe U-turn over Knock Off for pivoting.
On another note KS is fine on Dialga as it allows to stall for DD to hit.

Reactions: Mq
I suggest switching Xerneas out for some other fairy, maybe Mega Diancie or even Mega Audino with Baton Pass. As suggested by Disciple_1 as soon as I see the moveset on Diagla, it's easy to figure out what you're going to do. Mega Audino is a little less suspicious in this case. Even then, strategies like this work only once on a good player (Unless you keep on switching the mons in question every once in a while). You can even try other combos, Doom Desire/Earth Power and having a Flying Type Magnet Pull (Rayquaza comes to mind). Doom Desire/Stored Power and having a Dark Type Magnet Pull (Mega Tyranitar comes to mind). Only if you keep on switching the combination of mons, can you hope to retain the surprise factor.

Otherwise, it's like a one-hit wonder. Although it looks like a very good strategy, it becomes very easy to predict it the next time around.

PS. King's Shield is definitely a good fourth move on Dialga. Buys time for Doom Desire, even in the face of an evident KO.

I suggest switching Xerneas out for some other fairy, maybe Mega Diancie or even Mega Audino with Baton Pass. As suggested by Disciple_1 as soon as I see the moveset on Diagla, it's easy to figure out what you're going to do. Mega Audino is a little less suspicious in this case. Even then, strategies like this work only once on a good player (Unless you keep on switching the mons in question every once in a while). You can even try other combos, Doom Desire/Earth Power and having a Flying Type Magnet Pull (Rayquaza comes to mind). Doom Desire/Stored Power and having a Dark Type Magnet Pull (Mega Tyranitar comes to mind). Only if you keep on switching the combination of mons, can you hope to retain the surprise factor.

Otherwise, it's like a one-hit wonder. Although it looks like a very good strategy, it becomes very easy to predict it the next time around.

PS. King's Shield is definitely a good fourth move on Dialga. Buys time for Doom Desire, even in the face of an evident KO.
I do like the idea of changing xerneas, thanks! Mega Rayquaza looks tempting, however that would mean that I have to change my -ate to Diancie, getting rid of the surprise factor. In that case, as basically should use TTar, do you have any idea for the set? I'm thinking something standard like Shift Gear/ substitute / diamond storm/ knock off. Thanks!

I do like the idea of changing xerneas, thanks! Mega Rayquaza looks tempting, however that would mean that I have to change my -ate to Diancie, getting rid of the surprise factor. In that case, as basically should use TTar, do you have any idea for the set? I'm thinking something standard like Shift Gear/ substitute / diamond storm/ knock off. Thanks!
The set depends on your outlook. You can go all out with Acupressure, defensive with Coil etc., The purpose would be the same whatever your moveset is - a guaranteed KO of an Imposter, followed by the KO of at least one more mon is possible.

(bolded) I don't understand this, BH has no Species Clause so you can perfectly use 2 Mega Rayquazas.

(bolded) I don't understand this, BH has no Species Clause so you can perfectly use 2 Mega Rayquazas.
I just meant that having 2 of the same mon in the team (especially one with weaknesses to the other -ates) would mean that the weaknesses across the team sorta get out of hand, meaning Registeel would get worn down WAY to fast if the opponent had, for example, a Contrary Draco Meteor spammer and a Mega Diancie.

If indeed you are looking to use ttar here, I would recommend using will-o-wisp over sub. This lets you beat imposters and also gives you a secondary shed counter ( since shed can't recycle a knocked off lum berry).

If indeed you are looking to use ttar here, I would recommend using will-o-wisp over sub. This lets you beat imposters and also gives you a secondary shed counter ( since shed can't recycle a knocked off lum berry).
But the Imposter would already be a Steel Type and would be trapped and killed by the TTar. Only a handful of people use double Imposters.

But the Imposter would already be a Steel Type and would be trapped and killed by the TTar. Only a handful of people use double Imposters.
My bad, in my head I was thinking of pheal not mag pull. Yeah in that case, it makes sense to use sub. But then, I would suggest using leech seed over Draco meteor, since ttar takes a chunk from that. You could sub on the seed and shift gear then sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)