Monotype Theorymon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Voting for this cycle has ended and the winner by landslide with 17 votes is Tyke! Congratulations.
Tyke: 17
Acast: 8
The Llama: 7
Calucha: 3
czim: 3
Casty: 1
Sobi: 1

Hall of fame and archive will be updated soon.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Cycle 5: Ground

The type for this cycle of Monotype Theorymon is Ground! This type has a lot of cool Pokemon that are ranked C and below so definitely looking forward to seeing some cool ideas submitted. Check out the Monotype Viability Rankings to get a clue of what Pokemon you should submit your ideas for.

You have until Friday 24/06/2016.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Ground mons always had it all, good defensive backbone + offenses, but you know what it struggles against like a lot :: water and grass. Water is still a little managable due to gastrodon and to some extent seismitoad, but grass is only a little managable due to mega cam but still it is prone to being worn down by random grass attacks due to it being neutral to it, also spore and stuff don't help. So,

Steelix-Mega (Steel) Steelixite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam/Iron Head
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
Basically, here is the mega aggron of ground types, pure steel typing vastly improves the match-up against grass types and straight away setting up on mega venu. Tough Claws gives the much needed boost to its damage output. Ideally I would give it +10 in spdef but I don't know it will be allowed or not. So, basically other mons weaken ferrothorn a bit and then steelix wins late game easily. Iron head could be used for more pp, neutrality against water helps too,.
+3 0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Steelix Heavy Slam (100 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 297-351 (81.8 - 96.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock(Venu in return does 12%)
+3 0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Politoed: 321-378 (83.8 - 98.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Mega Steelix in Rain: 102-121 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO
So, again it can set up late game against water to some extent, and tough claws providing much needed damage.

Let's get creeeeeeepy fellas.....

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Sneak
- Power-up Punch

Marowak is here bby, ready to smack you in the feels. Parental Bond boosts it's already powerful attack and Shadow Sneak gives it a reliable (but NOT overpowering) source of priority. It is able to wallbreak almost anything in the meta. I tip-toed around a bit to make sure this set could be checked; it's about as strong as Mega-Medicham (but half as slow) and shadow sneak gives many dark/normal types the opportunity to take it out.

Earthquake is the standard STAB of choice, breaking walls down llike nothing. Stone Edge is there to complete the rest of your edgequake coverage. Power up Punch is to pick up late game cleans, and Shadow Sneak is the reliable, if weak, priority to compensate for it's low speed. If you're trying to figure out how shadow sneak makes sense, just imagine the ghost of Marowak's dead mother stretching out from the shadows and smacking the foes in the face screaming "DON'T TOUCH MY BABBYBYYY!!!!!".

That is all n_n

252+ Atk Thick Club Parental Bond Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 267-315 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Parental Bond Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 271-321 (64.5 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Parental Bond Marowak Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 231-274 (65.6 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Parental Bond Marowak Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 207-246 (60.7 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Parental Bond Marowak Shadow Sneak vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 228-270 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Parental Bond Marowak Shadow Sneak vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 228-270 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower / Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Recover

With Water Absorb and Recover, Nidoqueen will quickly find its usage in Ground teams, thanks to how helpful it would be against Fighting teams, which are already an issue thanks to their Keldeo and Breloom. With its secondary Poison typing, it no longer has to worry about the occasional Hidden Power Grass from several special attackers in the Monotype Metagame, as well as having an immunity to Toxic and useful resistances to Fairy, Fighting, and Bug moves, which the other Water Absorb/Storm Drain users like Gastrodon and Seismitoad lacks at all. That being said, it will most likely be an useful replacement over those mentioned Pokemon. A physical defensive set can also be used, in case if you want it to handle more physical oriented threats. With its wide movepool, it can make use of moves like Flamethrower and Thunderbolt, allowing it to handle issues like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and pretty much every Water type that's not immune to Electric type moves.

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Let's get creeeeeeepy fellas.....

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Sneak
- Power-up Punch

Marowak is here bby, ready to smack you in the feels. Parental Bond boosts it's already powerful attack and Shadow Sneak gives it a reliable (but NOT overpowering) source of priority. It is able to wallbreak almost anything in the meta. I tip-toed around a bit to make sure this set could be checked; it's about as strong as Mega-Medicham (but half as slow) and shadow sneak gives many dark/normal types the opportunity to take it out.

Earthquake is the standard STAB of choice, breaking walls down llike nothing. Stone Edge is there to complete the rest of your edgequake coverage. Power up Punch is to pick up late game cleans, and Shadow Sneak is the reliable, if weak, priority to compensate for it's low speed.
I just want to say that you are thoroughly heartless for giving it Parental Bond of all abilities. It's cruel and uncalled for and I love it.

With that being said, here's my submission:

Sap Sipper Zygarde

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Dragon Tail / Stone Edge / Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

I'm kind of using a loophole here because Zygarde is currently unranked in the viability rankings. I asked Anttya (she runs that project) and she said she'd probably place it in C, maybe B at the highest, so this is borderline, but still definitely legal.

Anyway, Ground teams are plagued by a weakness to a punchy mushroom known as Breloom. Bullet Seed REALLY hurts just about anything that Ground teams have, and Spore is a nuisance as well. Zygarde with Sap Sipper fixes that problem quite nicely by getting an attack boost every time you're hit with a Grass move, allowing it to stay in and set up Coil while the opponent switches out. In addition to Breloom, it's a decent switchin to Zard Y's SolarBeam, Galvantula or Volcarona's Giga Drain, and the occasional Landorus or Thundurus with Grass Knot. Seismitoad and Gastrodon would especially appreciate this as a teammate so that Grass moves aren't such a huge threat.

Unfortunately Skarmory still easily walls it and can phaze it out with Whirlwind, so many of Zygarde's current issues are still present, but it would be a very valuable addition to Ground teams.

Bulbapedia: "Zygarde 50% Forme's appearance is based on a serpent in the shape of the letter Z. It may also draw inspiration from Jörmungandr, a sea serpent that encircles the earth, and Níðhöggr, a dragon that gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill, the world tree."
Since the dragon "gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill", it makes sense for Zygarde to eat plant material and get Sap Sipper.

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
I just want to say that you are thoroughly heartless for giving it Parental Bond of all abilities. It's cruel and uncalled for and I love it.

With that being said, here's my submission:

Sap Sipper Zygarde

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Dragon Tail / Stone Edge / Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

I'm kind of using a loophole here because Zygarde is currently unranked in the viability rankings. I asked Anttya (she runs that project) and she said she'd probably place it in C, maybe B at the highest, so this is borderline, but still definitely legal.

Anyway, Ground teams are plagued by a weakness to a punchy mushroom known as Breloom. Bullet Seed REALLY hurts just about anything that Ground teams have, and Spore is a nuisance as well. Zygarde with Sap Sipper fixes that problem quite nicely by getting an attack boost every time you're hit with a Grass move (multiple boosts if you're lucky enough to switch in on a Bullet Seed), allowing it to stay in and set up Coil while the opponent switches out. In addition to Breloom, it's a decent switchin to Zard Y's SolarBeam, Galvantula or Volcarona's Giga Drain, and the occasional Landorus or Thundurus with Grass Knot. Seismitoad and Gastrodon would especially appreciate this as a teammate so that Grass moves aren't such a huge threat.

Unfortunately Skarmory still easily walls it and can phaze it out with Whirlwind, so many of Zygarde's current issues are still present, but it would be a very valuable addition to Ground teams.

Bulbapedia: "Zygarde 50% Forme's appearance is based on a serpent in the shape of the letter Z. It may also draw inspiration from Jörmungandr, a sea serpent that encircles the earth, and Níðhöggr, a dragon that gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill, the world tree."
Since the dragon "gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasill", it makes sense for Zygarde to eat plant material and get Sap Sipper.
Idk if I mentioned this but you can use Pokemon that aren't ranked.

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Wild Charge

I've always tried to keep my changes to be pretty small and I really wanted to keep my theorymons balanced, so none of them would be S rank or anything. I wasn't going to post this, but I caved in.

Extreme Speed Diggersby now can fit one coverage move on its SD set, which it could not do before. With Extreme Speed having 80 Base Power, just shy of Return's 102, it can replace Return as the primary Normal-type STAB move. Further, it has +2 priority, allowing it to beat anything that tries to cheekily Mach Punch it (Looking at you, Breloom). By not needing to run both Return and a priority move in Quick Attack, thanks to Extreme Speed's compression, it can now run Fire Punch to take on pretty much anything. Diggersby was previously eclipsed by Excadrill and the other potent physical attackers. No longer!

Relevant stuff:
Skarmory dies to +2 Fire Punch most of the time, Sturdy has to be broken anyway.
Everything on SS Water dies to +2 Extreme Speed.
Everything on Grass dies to +2 Extreme Speed, Fire Punch, or Earthquake.

"Balance":
Dragonite still outspeeds
Fake Out spam still works (lol)
This guy's bulk is awful, getting that SD will be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)