Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shiny/alt color Magearna news on pokebeach, maybe serebii too. I am very -whelmed by this news.
So its bottom part looks like a normal Pokeball. Sort of reminds me of an idea I had to give Voltorb & Electrode alternate forms depending on the Pokeball they're captured in. Obviously that idea won't work for Magearna since it'll probably always come in a pre-determined Poke Ball, but maybe there would be another way to have it's appearance change to another kind of Poke Ball if this isn't just a standard Shiny?

wait like actually, or are you joking
Joking, though honestly I don't think it would be a bad idea. For one thing GF wouldn't beed to be careful what Pokemon got No Guard just in case they accidentally gave it to one that knows a OHKO move. Also I think it's less drastic than having, say, a Machop family knowing Fissure coming from the Gen I rereleases to Sun & Moon be restricted in some way (having the move changes/deleted, forcing them all to have their Hidden Ability, or something else to prevent Fissure Machamp terrorizing the metagame).

I think you're overstating a little bit here. Those Calcs are impressive but 60 isn't a "low" attack Stat for an early route Normal type..if we compare it to its predecessors:

Rattata-(56 (this is as good as it gets))
Sentret-(46)
Zigzagoon-(30)
Bidoof-(45)
Patrat-(55)
And most recently..Bunnelby-(36)

Given its abilities and GF balancing logic for the early game, I would say 50 is optimistic and 60 is nearly impossible.(unless it doesn't evolve)

Granted, it will probably have an evolution but we're not sure it would have the same ability so plopping a first stage early route rodent in OU is a little premature to say the least.

He considered Raticate over Rattata, so it's quite obvious that he was referring to Yungoos' evo. Other than that, I don't see really likely a drop for such abilities unless the 'mon changes a lot through evo, and it would be odd for a early normal type. I'm not saying it can't happen, but often when it does the evo get a superior ability, and both Stakeout and Strong Jaws seem fairly strong to being dropped casually. On the other hand, looking at Yungoos teeth, I wouldn't be surprised if it had the highest base attack of all early normal types, I'm actually expecting it to be at least base 55 or more. Generally early normal types don't change dramatically, so I think its evo is gonna be an "enhanced" yungoos, ranging from a bigger mongoose to a fossa/wolverine with stats similar to Mightyena/Raticate (Mightyena isn't normal but it's still an early 'mon, fairly similar to the regional "rodents").

Because I find English class so intolerably boring, I have compiled a list of calcs for potential Yungoos stakeout hits.

note: I used a Raticate with 'other' selected as its ability, holding life orb, and a varying adjusted attack stat
You seem to have used 80 base attack for your 60 base attack stakeout calculations, but it's still a pretty good indication of just how wicked this ability is. With that said, you still need to force a switch to get the Stakeout boost. This means that in order to make use of Stakeout a pokemon with that ability needs to be threatening without the stakeout boost... and if it's got base stats comparable to Raticate and the same mono-normal typing then it's unlikely to be a threat anywhere higher than NU. I suspect it'll be highly comparable to Linoone; awesome damage calcs on paper, way too fragile to do its job in the higher tiers and pretty much useless when unboosted.

You guys are all talking that Yungoos's evolution would be like top tier shit. But then I just have to point out that the BST of the Route 1 rodents just aren't good .and even with this ability, it will probably be no better than a situational Diggersby. But I would like to be proven wrong. It's just history has not been kind to Raticate, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel, and Watchog.
What matters to me is the ability itself, not Yungoos. That ability on other (with a higher BST) Pokémon may be godly.

BTW, this was just posted on Serebii

"With thanks to Coronis, we have an image from CoroCoro Ichiban which showcases an interesting tidbit about the upcoming movie. Volcanion & The Ingenious Magearna. With this image, we see how Magearna looked 500 years ago when it was serving a kingdom where it looked fancy. It's currently unclear if this aesthetic will carry over to the games. We'll bring more on the movie as it comes so be sure to keep checking back"

(I hate hotlinking to another non-corporate site so I just uploaded it here)

Attachments

Look at what Japan's getting:

I love my Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Old XL, but this is even better.
The Pikachu one is nice, too, I guess:

we can finally legitimately get no guard machamp with fissure, and use it in vgc
There might be that sneaky pentagram preventing that.
I have to wonder whether VGC 2017 will be Alola/Gen VII native only, or if they'll keep the Pentagon rule and allow us to use Pokemon transferred from XYORAS.
I don't know about how the pentagram will be handled for Sun and Moon in relation to Generation I or VI, but I would be surprised if they didn't do Alola Dex for VGC '17 considering we had Unova and Kalos only in their respective debut VGC formats.
It's later revealed No Guard has been changed so that it doesn't work with OHKO moves.
This wouldn't surprise me since No Guard is currently the only thing that can affect OHKO accuracy outside of their normal accuracy formula.
I think you're overstating a little bit here. Those Calcs are impressive but 60 isn't a "low" attack Stat for an early route Normal type..if we compare it to its predecessors:

Rattata-(56 (this is as good as it gets))
Sentret-(46)
Zigzagoon-(30)
Bidoof-(45)
Patrat-(55)
And most recently..Bunnelby-(36)

Given its abilities and GF balancing logic for the early game, I would say 50 is optimistic and 60 is nearly impossible.(unless it doesn't evolve)

Granted, it will probably have an evolution but we're not sure it would have the same ability so plopping a first stage early route rodent in OU is a little premature to say the least.
We are just saying Yungoos since we don't know the name of a theoretical evolution. And if you look at the evos:
Raticate: 81
Furret: 76
Lioone: 70
Bibarel: 85
Watchog: 85
Diggersby: 56
70-85 is the general range (Diggersby is kinda an exception thanks to Huge Power).

"With thanks to Coronis, we have an image from CoroCoro Ichiban which showcases an interesting tidbit about the upcoming movie. Volcanion & The Ingenious Magearna. With this image, we see how Magearna looked 500 years ago when it was serving a kingdom where it looked fancy. It's currently unclear if this aesthetic will carry over to the games. We'll bring more on the movie as it comes so be sure to keep checking back"

Is Magearna fluent in over six million forms of communication?

I don't know about how the pentagram will be handled for Sun and Moon in relation to Generation I or VI, but I would be surprised if they didn't do Alola Dex for VGC '17 considering we had Unova and Kalos only in their respective debut VGC formats.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if VGC 2017 isn't Alola Dex only. I just wonder if it'll end up being possible to transfer Pokemon from Gen VI and use them in VGC if they're in the dex.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

It honestly looks like it's rusted or old, which is ironic because that's supposed to be its "new" look.

What if the fancy colors of Magearna are based on copper before it has deteriorated into the unsaturated green color it is in the present? It might be a reference to the Statue of Liberty, even though I initially thought the gear doll was a Pokémon equivalent of the Mona Lisa, due to the vague Italian influence in its design.

So I see a lot of talk of what Yungoos will be like in singles, but what will it be like in doubles. If it has a partner that can reliably use roar or whirlwind it will be dangerous. I also wonder how multiple opponent hitting moves will work in battle royal. Moves like surf and earthquake are going to be OP in that format.

Reactions: JES
I could see Yungoos having potential in doubles as well. It would go well with Perish Song users in either format, but in doubles, it might be used with a band to play mind games long enough to allow entrapment, assuming it has any form of survivability.

Magearna's original coloring looks interesting, if a bit gaudy, but I think it's a good bit of lore. She's clearly designed around the idea of the dolls and golems that were meant to be servants and entertainment pieces - as well as defenders - and I suppose this color scheme fits. Given the fact that both the gold and the crimson faded to the same color, this would seem to indicate that she had a colored plating of some kind, rather than the coloring being the result of an actual composition of materials. Either that, or something about the material is reactionary, either to energy or some catalyst, and this factor isn't in play now.

I just wish they would buckle down and give us an official background on the pokéball. Pokémon itself seems to be all over the place with its origins. The Orange Islands anime indicates that pokéballs existed three hundred years ago, and yet Drayden, during a Memory Link in the games, claims that they did not exist in his childhood. Although I don't fully trust their reliability, The Daisuke Club claims that the pokéball was invented by a Celadon University professor some ninety years ago, but the common lore states that they were originally created from apricorns in Johto, an idea that's supported by Samuel Oak, who in the fourth movie used a different form of containment that was not at all stylistically similar to the modern pokéball.

Now here, not only with Magearna herself, but also with her original coloring, we have a very clear indication that the design of the pokéball itself existed at least five hundred years ago. In addition, it exists naturally in the wild through Foongus and Amoonguss, and 'unnaturally' through Voltorb and Electrode. What exactly does the design of an artificially intellegent Italian being from half a millenia ago have to do with a small region in Japan and a couple of mushrooms? Even further, why does the Pokéball exist so prominently in their pop culture, really? It can't just be a representation of commerical training and battling, because it seems as though the design predated the modern system. The Pokéball appears to be an extremely common theme in their culture, to the point that the only things that I can think of that are as comparatively recognizeable in ours are the cross and the swastica, and only the cross dares to be so universal. Something had to have happened that ingrained that design into their history and their culture so deeply, and just a little clarity and consistency from the world builders and designers would be nice.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well in the anime's lore we saw in the 4th movie early Poke Balls which had a screw cap. The Poke Ball we all know now is a recent invention, with Apricorns being an early version (which I also think had their designs modernized to match the newer Poke Balls). However I think the Poke Ball symbol has been around for a long time as a symbol for the Pokemon, which is possibly why not only are Poke Balls shaped like it but all depiction of Poke Balls from anywhere in time looks similar (the anime plays loose with the lore, we all know that. I just take any depiction of a modern day Poke Ball from an ancient civilization in the anime as a interpretation of the Poke Ball symbol).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
For all we know, they might not be Pentagon at all. And there might - read: most likely - be more games in Gen 7 beyond Sun and Moon, so if they are pentagon they won't be the last.
Probably there was something like a pair of X2Y2 games that was abandoned because they wanted to focus on Sun Moon.
Yet, XY and ORAS were designed to be compatible with this pair of unreleased games.

Probably there was something like a pair of X2Y2 games that was abandoned because they wanted to focus on Sun Moon.
Yet, XY and ORAS were designed to be compatible with this pair of unreleased games.
They were? How so? I'm pretty sure that the only thing connecting XY/ORAS to S&M so far is the pokebank, and that hardly qualifies as 'compatible'. Or am I missing something?

Yeah I don't remember seeing anything about the games being compatible, just that pokebank will remain. I would think these games wouldn't feature the pentagon with intentions to showcase the new Pokemon.

As for the pokedex in general, I'm hoping this region will be similar to Kalos and post-crisis ORAS. They've already said they want to feature a region teeming with life so it would make perfect sense. Hopefully we see some rarer wild Pokemon like volcarona too.

They were? How so? I'm pretty sure that the only thing connecting XY/ORAS to S&M so far is the pokebank, and that hardly qualifies as 'compatible'. Or am I missing something?
Someone had dug through the code/files of ORAS and found that there was an extra set of "Pentagon" files alongside XY's and ORAS's. This would indicate that there was another set of games that would be compatible with the Pentagon format. What people are saying is that it's quite possible that Sun/Moon are the last set of games that could have the Pentagon, or that it will get scrapped because it's a different set of games that isn't in the same generation.

Someone had dug through the code/files of ORAS and found that there was an extra set of "Pentagon" files alongside XY's and ORAS's. This would indicate that there was another set of games that would be compatible with the Pentagon format. What people are saying is that it's quite possible that Sun/Moon are the last set of games that could have the Pentagon, or that it will get scrapped because it's a different set of games that isn't in the same generation.
In all likelihood, GF probably just added more spaces than they needed to, just in case they decided to do something further with Gen VI. Since they're not, those two last Pentagons can probably be classified as unused data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)