Project OU Teambuilding Competition V9 (Done! See you all in Sun & Moon)

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

I was very interested by the Rain Bulky Offense archetype that I've been hearing about lately, and I figured i would go and try to create one myself, with Goodra as one of the centerpieces of the team. Politoed is the first member obviously for its rain support that it provides, and I went with a physically defensive spread to handle grounds a bit better. Next up is Goodra, the main special wall on the team, as it is able to deal with Grasses/Waters/Electrics that may otherwise trouble the team. And now Mega Swampert, the main rain sweeper on the team as well as my main wincon. The set looks very awkward, and indeed it is, as this team focuses more on longetivity, so Rest was put to give Swampert recovery and works well with the help of Togekiss. Next up is Doublade, the blanket check for a HUGE amount of threats such as Medicham, Terrakion, Gardevoir, Latios, etc. RestTalk + Iron Head + Pursuit is the set I used here. Next up is Tentacruel, and I went back and forth between this pokemon and Ludicolo, as Ludicolo provides an actual ground resist, but Tenta's Poison typing along with Rapid Spin support proved to be far more useful for the rest of my team. The final member is Heal Bell + NP Togekiss, being able to handle stall very efficiently, while providing valuable Heal Bell support for the team given that 4 of the 6 members have Rest as their means of recovery. Understand that this team has some flaws that I am trying to iron out, mainly the Excadrill weakness which is very apparent; I have to rely on Politoed/Swampert being healthy enough to take it on, which is sometimes not the most reliable way to deal with it. Mega Lopunny and Ferrothorn also prove to be really annoying for the team to handle; overall though it is a fun type of playstyle that, although it has some weaknesses, still works pretty well, and I'll try to provide more non-shitty replays to show off the team better.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Rest

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Rest

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Knock Off

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Air Slash

Last edited:
Fire In The Rain
Goodra is a hard mon to build around, I was surprise of how difficult it could be. So I hope I can gain a better understanding of the game by building more teams around mons like Goodra so I will be able to create better and more refined team next time around. Anyways on with the team

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Omastar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hydro Pump
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water

When I look a Goodra I instantly think rain. The reason is that of its three fantastic abilities; Hydration, Sap Sipper, and Gooey. With it's nearly impeccable special defense and versatile move pool it can check nearly everything rain has trouble with, including ferro, breloom, thundurus, and etc. So in result of this analysis I built a bulky offense rain team. For starter I am not going to explain these sets because there is almost nothing special about these sets, you can find most of them on the dex and they will give a better explanation than me any day of the week. However, there are some move I would like to address on certain mons. In a rain team as we all should know always consist of a rain setter and politoed is the only mon usable to do that task. Damp Rock to keep the rain up longer and Rest for survivability. Next is Ferrothron, for rocks and making sure I have a decent Lati@ check. Next on the list is Mega Pert as a wallbreaker and low kick to two-hit KO Ferro. Omastar as a set up sweeper, bird check and rain abuser for the late game. Torn to make sure I don't get sweep by earthquake users and to check Kel, also, with focus blast to hit Heatran. Finally, assault vest Goodra to check thundurus. Look I know this team isn't perfect but I have been working on this for two days and this is the best I can do for now. I once thought of building a team with rest talk curse outrage set with goodra. Once I have gained more experience on how to build better, better team will come out. This was difficult and I could never be happier to be a part of this round. Thank you for taking your time and reading this.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
OMG, THANKS EVERYONE FOR USING XY SPRITES :D Good work everyone, nice looking teams.

Voting time!

Team 1

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Muddy Water

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
This team I created was a alot of fun and Is mostly based on mega charizard y and since I had a goodra, might as well submit this team in.

Charizard Y is my main wallbreaker for this team, it pretty much deals with alot of walls barring bulky dragons and of course chansey but if you deal with charizard's problems, pretty much nothings wants to switch into it especially if a team lacks a charizard y counter.

Weavile is my second choice as it can help clean pesky dragon types which annoy charizard, helps take out common pokemon like landorus and garchomp which all deal with zard nicely and I use weavile as my pursuit trapper to mostly beat the lati twins and gengar.

The star of the show Goodra does some nice things to the team, helps the team take on powerful electrics such as thundurus, counters pokemon like serperior, volcanion and opposing charizard-y and I pick modest specs because it can hit like a truck.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 370-436 (96.8 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Next up we go the pink blob with a nice smile and that is Slowbro and honestly Slowbro is pretty much key to this team like its the only pokemon that can counter pokemon like mega lopunny, landorus and mega metagross also it gives thunder wave support which can help charizard y and others to deal with the faster threats.

Breloom is my 5th choice and it was pretty much my filler choice but its a good pokemon and it does some things very nicely to the team like annoying the enemy team with spore, grass and fighting type coverage is very nice and does fit this team like mach punch to deal with tyranitar while helping breloom and the team to revenge kill pokemon like mega lopunny and kyurem-b while bullet seed deals with the bulky waters and the fat grounds also sword dance is very nice for extra wall breaking power.

Excadrill is my last choice and its job is very simple, rapid spin the stealth rocks out and give out the stealth rocks to the opposing team, I chosen excadrill special defensive bulky since it helps counter clefable, raikou and the lati twins very nicely.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this post and even better if you thought my team was pretty good which is always appreciated.

Team 2

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Goodra @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 36 SpD / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind
Just to preface this, this is a new kind of playstyle that is a more bulky version of standard rain offense, and you should check out AJ's Post in the metagame discussion thread if you want to know more about it. Basically, the team started out with the Central core of Politoed+Standard Rain Sweeper Swampert since Swampert's really solid bulk combined with its terrifying power is absolutely insane under rain. Gaving a Sweeper and a tank all in one slot is ridiculous and frankly really difficult for teams without a really solid Swampert stop to switch into. After the initial two were added, the team was really weak to Grass Types like Serperior, and Offensive Electric types weren't exactly a walk in the park to face, so Goodra was added to take on these threats with really good hydration rest to utilize as recovery. One may initially be concerned about taking a +2 dragon pulse from serp with goodra, but Goodra does only take up to 70% from +2 dragon pulse and can fire back a sludge bomb. After adding Goodra, the team lacked a rocker and frankly rocks pert is a waste of potential, so Utility Celebi with thunder wave was added to add a rocker and a mon to cripple Serperior so that it couldn't bust through Goodra as easily. Additionally, Celebi gave the team some insurance against Breloom, which was very hard to beat if the opponent didn't randomly sack the thing. At this point, the team lacked hazard removal and was swamped by Ground Types that could beat Celebi like Offensive Garchomp and Landorus, so Skarmory was naturally added as a stop to these mons while also providing invaluable defog Support for the team. Also, skarmory provided a very important fairy pivot for annoying fairies like Mega Gardevoir that could body the rest of the team with hyper voice. Lastly, the team had an incredibly difficult time breaking Mega Sableye and Kyurem-Black, so clefable was added as a dragon catching pivot as well as providing the team a stupid wincon vs a lot of teams.

Team 3

Goodra (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 128 SpD / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Rain Dance

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Defog

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn

Manectric (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This team I formed when Volcanion was released.
Using Goodra as a solid switch, besides being very useful and durable thanks to RestTalk against Charizard Y, Mega Venusaur, grass and types in general. Even Thundurus, Manectric, Raikou, or until Tornadus-T. Which helps a lot Manaphy, a good wincon. Because Goodra is immune to Grass moves, Manaphy can use Energy Ball to hit bulky Water types.
Hippowdon provides rocks and is a stop Volt Switch, also, a decent physical wall
Skarmory hazard control and fairy check.
Scizor Choice Band for an offensive pressure, priority, momentum and support Pursuit against Lati@s, much appreciated by Goodra and Manaphy.
Finally, a mega evolution to give more speed to the team, Mega Manectric makes a Volt-Turn core with Scizor, and clearing the opposing team after a potential sweep of Manaphy.

Team 4

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Work Up

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Goodra @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
Hey uh I wasn't actually building for this but goodra found its way onto the team so hey why not post it. I know this team looks really really weird and like something you'd see low ladder (s/o to my shit elo) but its been pretty solid in practice. I started building mega pidgeot sand, which is cool for quite a few reasons. Pidgeot takes care of fat grasses and pressures plenty of other sand checks, while almost like every defensive mega pidgeot check in the game gets demolished by excadrill. Frustration exca is to lure in rotom-w and kill it after one hurricane from pidge and rocks. Im not running 3 attacks roost on pidgeot because imo that set is ass. Ttar was added for obvious reasons, giving exca a source of sand as well as providing me with a lati check, check to most electrics, and a sr setter. I played around with the last few slots for quite a while having trouble figuring out what i could do, but this seemed to be the best course of action. Goodra gave me a solid check to zard y, torn-t, fblast thundy, and gengar all without having to run chople on ttar. specs and ebelt are slashed because imo they're both equally viable and its mostly personal preference which you use. Goodra is max speed timid rather than the 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe Modest spread becasue this build really appreciates any way of beating breloom it can get. Next i added slowking which gave me a secondary fat mon that could check the things goodra could not like mega diancie, keldeo, mega garde, and that awful specs kyurem-b set ppl are using for some reason (lowkey use that set tho because this team is weak to the lo set ;;), while doubling up on checks to stuff like volcanion and torn which is always nice on fatter builds like this one. Running toxic on slowking because mega slowbro is this teams worst nightmare otherwise. My final slot was physdef skarm as it gave me a much needed check to weavile, bisharp, and mega scizor while also providing spikes which helps mega pidgeot out loads. Shed shell on skarm because mag is literal cancer, feel free to do lefties/rh if thats ur thing. using this team watch out for breloom as it can get out of hand quickly, and you also need to play well against kyube to win since it can hit every member of this team super effectively.

Team 5

my heart beats (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 216 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Nearly There (Goodra) @ Leftovers
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 48 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Muddy Water

should not think (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 80 Def / 124 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance

to speak my mind (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

out of time (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack
- Rock Slide

shining bright (Starmie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
I actually made this team seperately from this, which is pretty neat. I wanted to pair Goodra with MSciz because together they can take on a lot of stuff and complement each other nicely. Clefable completes the Steel / Dragon / Fairy core ppl seem to like, providing a solid win-con that really appreciates magic guard, taking on status and hazards, which goodra and zor hate. Lando is the teams rocker, and starmie provides hazard control and a keldeo answer. The last slot has room for other things as well, but I chose Terrakion so I could really pressure stuff like the popular CB Tar and zard or alon, while opening up my opponents team for the rest of the squad. Lando is using toxic mainly to hit stuff like slowbro or rotom, but if hippo rises in popularity, it would be very useful for that as well. Goodra is a leftovers attacker with some evs allocated to SDef because a) without wish, I really prefer the passive recovery over av, kinda similar to how i prefer lefties esca to av, and b) the sdef evs bolster goodras special bulk a good amount, helping make up for the loss of AV. Its extremely important on this team to handle serperior and also tackle special attackers in general (zard-y and torn are good examples), while being a convincing offensive presence itself. Sludge Wave is to have better odds vs clef (especially if you can knock it off) while being less likely to poison it accidentally; Muddy Water was chosen over Focus Blast to hit ground types harder and potentially get accuracy drops, although Focus Blast is definitely useful as well. The Sciz spread handles mzam, helps with physical attackers like lop, and also has a lot of attack so it can really threaten torn in particular, as its a big threat to the team, and ohkoing with +2 bp after rocks can be very important. Knock Off is intended for heatran so clefable can break it. Clef is flamethrower because scizor, ferrothorn, and skarmory are threats. Starmie is physdef because it helps out a ton vs stuff like talon and physical attackers in general, and T-Wave because it helps clef in set-up wars and also gives the team an important element of speed control by hitting stuff like torn, since the squad is a bit slow.
coming soon :D

Team 6

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Electric

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge /Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
Well goodra isn't something you would build around with or prefer to build around with usually nor even have it on a team usually lol, but oh well here's a shot at it. Goodra despite being looked down upon by the much more superior dragons has a pretty cool niche. It's high special defense stat allows it to sponge off hits from the likes off mega charizard y, mega manectric, thundurus, serperior, gengar, volcanion, and furthermore. Which is why it is equipped with assault vest, so that it could sponge up special attacks from the likes of the aforementioned which some relative ease. Speed EVs allow goodra to speed creep specially defensive heatran by 1 point, hitting 208 as heatran hits 207. Allowing it to fire off a nice earthquake. Keldeo was added for its useful dark resistance and how it betters matchup against scary threats in the meta, weavile and bisharp. Without Keldeo, the counter is x lol. Hard-hitter, what else is there to say, decent bulk for an offensive pokemon. Meaning it won't die to any move you fire at it lol, also access to the godly move scald. What's nice about this is that it's switchins get pressured by it, primarily bulky grasses as residual damage makes it harder for them to stay alive as they are pressured in coming on this thing so much times. Landorus-Therian, extremely splashable, provides fantastic role compression, provides momentum for team, gets up rocks which are mandatory. Mega metagross seemed like a good mega as lol fairies seemed quite annoying and latis too. So this way I can at least threaten them and get some nice chip damage by trapping with pursuit. Starmie is a spinner that scares off bulky grounds with its scalds, provides hazard control for talon which is definitely needed as well as checking opposing keldeo too :p. Talonflame was originally a chandelure (don't ask why, my friend has a fetish for builds with odd choices as they get him wins and that he likes to think outside of the box i guess lol...). But ya talonflame provides speed control for the team, being able to revenge kill weakened threats and act as an overall wincon with BU + wisp or taunt. Nothing more to say here but ya enjoy c:.

Team 7

Goodra @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Rest

EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic
- Rest

Doublade @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Knock Off

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Air Slash
I was very interested by the Rain Bulky Offense archetype that I've been hearing about lately, and I figured i would go and try to create one myself, with Goodra as one of the centerpieces of the team. Politoed is the first member obviously for its rain support that it provides, and I went with a physically defensive spread to handle grounds a bit better. Next up is Goodra, the main special wall on the team, as it is able to deal with Grasses/Waters/Electrics that may otherwise trouble the team. And now Mega Swampert, the main rain sweeper on the team as well as my main wincon. The set looks very awkward, and indeed it is, as this team focuses more on longetivity, so Rest was put to give Swampert recovery and works well with the help of Togekiss. Next up is Doublade, the blanket check for a HUGE amount of threats such as Medicham, Terrakion, Gardevoir, Latios, etc. RestTalk + Iron Head + Pursuit is the set I used here. Next up is Tentacruel, and I went back and forth between this pokemon and Ludicolo, as Ludicolo provides an actual ground resist, but Tenta's Poison typing along with Rapid Spin support proved to be far more useful for the rest of my team. The final member is Heal Bell + NP Togekiss, being able to handle stall very efficiently, while providing valuable Heal Bell support for the team given that 4 of the 6 members have Rest as their means of recovery. Understand that this team has some flaws that I am trying to iron out, mainly the Excadrill weakness which is very apparent; I have to rely on Politoed/Swampert being healthy enough to take it on, which is sometimes not the most reliable way to deal with it. Mega Lopunny and Ferrothorn also prove to be really annoying for the team to handle; overall though it is a fun type of playstyle that, although it has some weaknesses, still works pretty well, and I'll try to provide more non-shitty replays to show off the team better.

Team 8

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Omastar @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hydro Pump
- Ancient Power
- Ice Beam

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Goodra @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Muddy Water
When I look a Goodra I instantly think rain. The reason is that of its three fantastic abilities; Hydration, Sap Sipper, and Gooey. With it's nearly impeccable special defense and versatile move pool it can check nearly everything rain has trouble with, including ferro, breloom, thundurus, and etc. So in result of this analysis I built a bulky offense rain team. For starter I am not going to explain these sets because there is almost nothing special about these sets, you can find most of them on the dex and they will give a better explanation than me any day of the week. However, there are some move I would like to address on certain mons. In a rain team as we all should know always consist of a rain setter and politoed is the only mon usable to do that task. Damp Rock to keep the rain up longer and Rest for survivability. Next is Ferrothron, for rocks and making sure I have a decent Lati@ check. Next on the list is Mega Pert as a wallbreaker and low kick to two-hit KO Ferro. Omastar as a set up sweeper, bird check and rain abuser for the late game. Torn to make sure I don't get sweep by earthquake users and to check Kel, also, with focus blast to hit Heatran. Finally, assault vest Goodra to check thundurus. Look I know this team isn't perfect but I have been working on this for two days and this is the best I can do for now. I once thought of building a team with rest talk curse outrage set with goodra. Once I have gained more experience on how to build better, better team will come out. This was difficult and I could never be happier to be a part of this round. Thank you for taking your time and reading this.

Voting lasts until Sunday at 11:59 PM GMT -5. May the best one win

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'll give a nod to FVs team to just think the matchup with opposing M-Zor is really weird and was looking for some replays maybe to show that being an issue or not, granted Team 1s matchup is reliant on a healthy Zard-Y but meh. I think overall none of these teams actually functioned utilizing Goodra well except Team 1 and 5. Keld seems like a pain in the ass for FVs team just due to the nature of Starmie. The lefties on Goodra is weird just cause Expert Belt would at least let you 2hko Clef on the switch with Sludge Wave more easily, though I kind of get the idea of just a bit more longevity for it. Team 1 relies a lot of pressure on Zard-Y to stay alive so M-Zor doesn't become this massive problem.

I don't really like voting too much on stuff like this considering I can only know so much by looking at the team from the glance. The bulky rain playstyle thing people are trying is not even new neither is it good anyways....dudes like gingy were using it with variations like m-sab long before now and was experimented before in gen 6 with a variety of bulky offense playstyles so I'm not getting the hype behind it. At least the hype to the point where it solidifies a niche in OU now. The Metagross team looks like a standard mgross team just with Goodra but rotom-w builds seem rather annoying, I'm also on the side of thinking M-Gross is not really a consistent mon but to each their own so something to cover the issues a bit better, vague but not a rate anyways. Everything else seems kind of inconsistent to me idk what the deal is with everyone trying out rain lol. Never liked Pidgeot around Sand, doesn't seem like a good foundation from games I've seen.

I think the next core should be something around Char-X. Maybe Char-X / Starmie keep things basic but effective. Two cents.

This week's voting is pretty hard because nothing really stood out to me. But after reading AM's post I think Charizard-X would be an awesome theme. But maybe it could be both zards or maybe zard + water type since water types are notable in beating charizard's checks etc.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
if i call MrAldo gay in this post and vote for a team will mraldo still like this post? :O

gonna go with team 5 cause it's actually rly fun. if team 3 didn't use such a garbage set for goodra then maybe it would have had more of a chance. sap sipper rest talk goodra with rain mana and having mana as my only fat breaker and then combining it with stream hippo which actually supports nothing other than removing rain from mana and having the team be 1/2 mag weak. i honestly rly like the team from first glance. but then i was proved wrong by the sets and my testing ;-;

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Clearly not a bandwagon Team 5 by FlamingVictini wins this teambuilding round. Congratulations, will be added to the hall of fame, alongside the other 2 teams pending, shortly! Moving on

ROUND 42:

+

Pretty simple core here tailored to a good amount of archetypes, from balance to hyper offense. You can use either Mega Charizard Y or Mega Charizard X, up to you. You obviously wont use regular charizard... right? Lets go!

Round lasts until Friday at 11:59 PM (GMT -5). Good luck everyone!

You obviously wont use regular charizard... right?

Charizard @ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Play Rough
- Thunder Wave

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

Screens offense ft BD Charizard + Lots of Dragon Dancers. Stall cannot beat Mega Gyara + so much offense. Just standard sets all around, might change around, probably won't.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-392000000
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-392978611

okay i will somehow get bd charizard to put in some work okay please help me

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was gonna build a sun team with Specs Solar Power Zard but it sucked ass so I'm not gonna bother

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Roost

Starmie @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Taunt
- Synthesis / Substitute
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
I built around the FWG core of ZardX+Starmie+Serp in this team and it turned out rather well. It 6:0'd a UU team on low ladder so... yay I guess? I was just trying to get something that I could build reasonably quickly 'cause I cleared out a load of my teams recently and didn't have any of these sitting in the back, so it is very much built for the purpose of this. I added Lando-T+Rotom-W 'cause it's the best core in the game and because all three of the mainframe appreciate them baiting things that they can take advantage of while also appreciating the slow VoltTurn core. I finished with Jirachi 'cause I needed a something to check Weavile and Mega Lopunny among other things as well as needing a Steel-type due to them being basically mandatory in the current meta. I opted for EQ Zard X in case I can't take out Heatran before it is ready to sweep, although it comes at the cost of making the Bisharp matchup a lot harder, so Roost is a valid option here if you want to be able to play around it's SD/Sucker 50:50s. Psychic is used on Starmie to ease the matchup v.s. Keldeo and to lure out Mega Venusaur, who gives most of this team a tumor, and Colbur+HP Fighting allows you to take a Sucker Punch from Bisharp at full or close-to-full health (has >50% chance to be OHKOed by adamant LO after rocks), taking advantage of the fact that it baits it to take a hit and OHKO back. Taunt+Synthesis Serp helps the stall matchup nicely. Finally, Heart Stamp is used to deal with MLop and Keldeo nicely, among other things.

Last edited:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Glare

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Flash Cannon

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 120 HP / 204 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

I built this team some time ago, but I guess it's decent enough to submit it here. I originally started with the core of Weavile+Serperior, which works pretty well together. I added defensive Lando-T for rocks and as a general check for sand and physical attackers. Then Klefki to switch into Keldeo and Weavile. Then I wanted some hazard removal for Weavile, while keeping offensive pressure, so I added Off Starmie, and a wincon, which is Mega Zard X, then I switched HP Fire to HP Ground on Serp to lure into Tran and ease Zards sweep. Zard's EVs are to outspeed Scarf Lando-T at +1 and to set up on Rotom-W hydro pump, also giving some bulk, useful to deal with Bisharp, a big thread to the team.

0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 142-168 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Landorus-Therian @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Icy Wind

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

This is a team i built awhile back using the idea of icy wind Jirachi to take care of stuff like Landorus-T and Garchomp which are common checks to Zard X on bulky offense. Landorus-T was added as a much needed ground check and a check to opposing Zard X. Azu was added to then give me a secondary check to Excadrill and Zard X, while providing the team with a check to dragons and some very good offensive pressure. Kyurem-B was then added to check Venu/Tran teams which would otherwise run through my team if I could not break them with Zard X. Sub salac Landorus-T and sub 3 attacks Kyurem-B are used as lures to Bisharp, which would otherwise beat the team at plus 2.

Charizard X with EVs speed enough to be faster than Mega Lopunny and Manectric after DD, with some HP investment to better resist Hydro Pump Rotom-W and soften the recoil of Flare Blitz.
Well, I would like to use Starmie offensive because it is one of the pillars of the proposed week, but the defensive set is a longer-lasting response against Hippowdon and Heatran, Rock common users and switch Charizard X.
Well, as is tradition, every week we have a sandstorm set in conjunction with the proposed core.
Tyranitar rocks, Pursuit, Chople Berry etc. As Starmie is the spinner here, Excadrill is free to use SD + 3 atk.
The team suffers absurdly to Ground, and I also wanted something that would give an immediate destructive power against fatter teams without a setup, Tornadus-T LO is the solution.
Finally, as a defensive pivot Tangrowth is very useful against Landorus-T, Mega Lopunny, Breloom and others.

EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- Icy Wind

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-392821932 (Hidden Power Ice > Icy Wind ;--;)

Last edited:
Shoutouts to the people who know where the nicknames are from

Remnants (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

To Stir The Sea (Starmie) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

In Parting (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Fraught (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit

By Moon and Star (Clefable) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Absit Omen (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Def / 192 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Started with Zard Y and Starmie, added Scarf Tyranitar to trap Latis, check Talon etc. Colbur Mie allows you to perform better vs TTar/Bish/Weav. Ferro is the Dragon/Fairy switchin, Chople helps checking Mega Gard, Mega Zam, Keld, Loom and all that stuff, and it's also the rocker. Added Bold BoltBeam Clef for Mega Medicham, Weavile, Lando-T, Gyara. Gliscor beats Bish, Exca, Clefable (w/o Ice Beam). Timid Flamethrower bc the speed is needed for Manaphy, and Fire Blast gets stalled out too easily.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)