UK and the EU referendum

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I see a lot of hate from Brexit supporters towards Asian immigrants.
I want to know why. Is it because we are taking away your jobs?
As far as I know, Asians have a very low crime rates.
We are also unlikely to claim benefits because most of us come with a lot of money.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
What happens when UK gets attacked? The same thing that would have always happened, because NATO is a thing.

"Such a good union" Jesus Christ how can anyone say that. EU today is not the same institution my country joined 12 years ago and every country should have the right to leave (obviously impossible).

It really sucks that valid concerns get shot down in lieu of "omfg people that don't like EU are dumb and racist". Eurofederalists should get a reality check but who am I kidding.
I know NATO is a thing. I was referring to the financial aid of other European countries. Granted, UK is one of the richer ones giving more than they receive, but it's never a guarantee that they will stay that way and won't need help in the future.

Again, I'm American, so I don't claim to be an expert on this, but on principle, I believe in Union, and the tanking of the British Pound is likely only the first of a string of bad things to happen.

but as usual facts don't matter when the people get to vote, which is the reason why direct democracy is a shit.
Direct democracy is shit when the people are uninformed, uneducated, and don't have a tendency to do the necessary research and critical thinking.
The UK referendum is a scary reminder that in the US, a Trump presidency is an all too possible option.
Sure, polling shows that Hillary's ahead (btw Sanders supporters that won't vote for her are honestly kinda stupid because the only other option is much much worse lol), but pre-vote the remain side was shown to have been leading in the polls. Not to mention the fact that the two main arguments for a Brexit are immigration (Great wall of Trump sound familiar?) and anti-Brussels bureaucracy (which is basically all conservatives in the US).
I have had the same argument "if you aren't voting for Hillary, you're voting for Trump" argument with my father over and over, and I am getting sick and tired of it, so forgive me if I come off as salty.
The fact is us independent progressives are trying to fight against a system that benefits the wealthy, takes away our freedoms, and gives more and more power and influence to the wealthy and corporate America, and pits us against one another to keep us from voting or otherwise forcing the out of power. And it turns out we are also wrestling against the "silent majority" who are voting for Trump, who are, if not stupid, uninformed, and establishment Hillary supporters, who either don't know they are corrupt, or willingly overlook it, that they are unwilling to stand up, and say "enough and a fucking enough", because they are scared of Trump becoming President. Well guess what: there will always be some "Great Republican Menace" the Democrats will use to fear-monger voters, and we'll get more of the same: the wealthy becoming richer and more influential, and forget about progress on issues that inconveniences the wealthy and powerful. Any promises made to get votes will probably be dropped and forgotten, or be watered down. And I'm not even getting into how the Democrats rigged at least some of the primaries (they were caught in California and New York, but surprise-sunrise, the corporate media has ignored it, because Clinton needs to look completely legitimate), to ensure that she was their anointed nominee, no matter what the voters wanted.

Yes, I'm now joining independent groups, because I am frustrated with the status quo, and by the time I become a parent, I want the country that my children learn about in school to be the truth, and not propaganda. Because we are not a country of justice for all. For those who have the money, the balance tips in their favor. And who knows how long our freedoms will last. As more people wake up and realize that we are becoming less and less of a democracy, I doubt TPTB are going to be content to sit on their hands, and wait to loose their influence, which took at least decades to obtain. And if the worst of the conspiracy theories have any basis in truth, we might well be in a race against time. At the very least, there are instances where decisions that Hillary made were hawkish or pro-corporate, and thus I don't trust her. In fact, I despise her for not helping to reinstate the President of Honduras in 2008 after her was deposed in a military coup, and replaced with a pro-corporate, right-wing, corrupt individual.

If Trump becomes President, it is only because there are too many uneducated idiots in this country, and not enough people trying to work with us to bring about change. We have a lot to gain if we succeed, and a lot to loose if we don't. But then, so did the Founding Fathers.

I see a lot of hate from Brexit supporters towards Asian immigrants.
I want to know why. Is it because we are taking away your jobs?
As far as I know, Asians have a very low crime rates.
We are also unlikely to claim benefits because most of us come with a lot of money.
Are you really still playing the "leave supporters are xenophobic" card?

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No it wasn't a joke, I believe that as an island nation we should make our own rules and decisions. I am aware of our colonial past, but the empire's been gone for over half a century. I think the time has come to focus on our own problems.
I just find it amusing that you based your decision on the fact that we happen to be surrounding by sea. Just because we're an island, doesn't mean we have to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world. If the UK was exactly the same yet the channel sea was land, and we bordered France, would this have affected your vote?

I just find it amusing that you based your decision on the fact that we happen to be surrounding by sea. Just because we're an island, doesn't mean we have to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world. If the UK was exactly the same yet the channel sea was land, and we bordered France, would this have affected your vote?
No it wouldn't have affected my vote, the EU is a giant messy clusterfuck that was costing way too much money to be sustainable. I worded it badly, and I apologise for that, but I feel the time has come for us to act independently.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Congrats to the old and the uneducated, you've officially cured my homesickness. Thank you for that, it had been 4 years and I was beginning to think that it would never go away. Perhaps I was romanticizing my former home too much in my head, but this decision is genuinely something I never seriously thought could happen. That people would fall for the blatant lies of the leave campaign, that they are already renegading on, and that they'd not bother to do any research into the actual facts on the matter to see what the overwhelming consensus was in the academic world about what the effects would be, and also that the people in my generation would actually go out and vote on the biggest vote of their life, was clearly too much to ask. Instead, England is leaving the EU, Scotland is planning on breaking away from the UK, I'd be thoroughly unsurprised to see the Northern part of Northern Ireland stripped from its name and the lies of the ignorant looking for a scapegoat have been realised.

And this thread I sincerely cannot stand. Perhaps it is just me, but I have never thought Nationalism was anything other than a huge negative on the world, and I was under the clearly deluded belief that we had left such stupidity in the past. Nationalism serves no purpose other than to aid the dictators and would be dictators of the world, and to fight wars. The warnings of the past are not heeded and instead of blaming those responsible for our problems (our own government) we are instead choosing to blame immigration. I sincerely hope that Nigel Farage and Boris Johnston have a fun time leading the UK in the next few years. I can think of no better punishment for those patriotic dickheads than that they be forced to watch as Britain crumbles around them and they come to the realization that their national pride is based on myths at best. If only they did not have Trident, because I have a sinking feeling that their response to Britain not reaching the imaginary heights they feel it should is to bring the rest of the world crumbling down with them.

And yet you fell for the fear campaign of the remain campaign. And now you're kicking around yourself because people have different opinions.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
I didn't fall for the 'fear' of the leave campaign, I looked at the facts and what research said and what the benefits were to both sides. Leave had sod all outside of nationalism and lies.

This is not a case where there are two opinions both somewhat equally valid, like with many issues. This is the equivalent of the people voting that climate change isn't real or that vaccines cause autism. Pretty much all research shows that this was the worst decision the UK's populace could have made. And yet, they proved their worth. Let them deal with it now.

E: If you are about to jump into a lake, and I see a sign saying there are crocodiles in the lake, would you be annoyed at me for pointing out there are crocodiles? Cause that's what I hear when you say that anyone "fell for the fear campaign of the remain campaign."

I'm not the one yelling racism and xenophobia at everyone who disagrees.

UK protects their sovereignity and democracy and they have the options to lose very little economic-wise. I genuinely don't see many arguments for remain other than keeping the status quo.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm not the one yelling racism and xenophobia at everyone who disagrees.

UK protects their sovereignity and democracy and they have the options to lose very little economic-wise. I genuinely don't see many arguments for remain other than keeping the status quo.
options to lose very little economic-wise? What a joke. Hahaha.

The UK receives so many benefits from the EU, freedom of movement being only one, and the one which I have perhaps personally enjoyed most. Other incredibly important areas that need improvement, such as the protection of the environment, will now only become so much harder to work on. Although the EU does have several faults, I find it sad that in today's time people would rather break away from each other and become more isolated, placing such importance on national borders

Aberforth

Ubers Leader
Benefits of the EU:

• Stronger Economy.
  • Better workers rights
  • More stringent Customer Protection
  • Free trade
  • Freedom of movement between countries
  • Better chance of fighting ISIS (cohesive units will work better than a dozen individual states doing their own thing)
  • Better chance of fighting climate change
  • More skilled labour in public things like the NHS
  • More international influence
  • Less chance of war
  • More jobs
  • We have a say in the future of the EU and the regulations we would fall under.
  • Most of our business depends on the EU
  • Funding for scientific projects
  • Stronger Trade Agreements
  • More career opportunities
  • More education opportunities
  • More retirement opportunities
  • Peace in Northern Ireland
There are more if you really want me to continue. But just for fun, lets do the Benefits of Leaving:

• Instead of a non-elected person making laws in Brussels (which they cant in practice anyway), they will in London in the House of Lords, Judiciary system and the Monarchy.
  • Polish workers wont take dem jobz! (despite being sarcastic, this wont even happen. Its an imaginary positive, doesn't even exist.)
  • ????????
I've already said sovereignty is not a positive for me, because it is not a positive. Nationalism has only ever resulted in strife.

Last edited:

Aberforth

Ubers Leader
Yes, I know, but they do have technical veto power, in the same way that the appointed European minister could technically strike Article 50 from the Lisbon Treaty. Wont ever happen, but technically it could.

And my point is that there are non-democratic positions already in place, its not just something unique to the EU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)