Unpopular opinions

It got so much attention compared to the other two starters, as shown in both its battling capabilities and the attention GF has given it in terms of marketing. That really bothers me because no starter is supposed to be "better" than the other two.
Hating something for popularity reasons is a poor reason indeed. I mean, I don't hate Charizard at all even though it gets more attention than Blastoise (my favorite Kanto starter). I don't hate Mega Charizard-X because it overshadows Charizard-Y (I dislike it because I find the design to be lazy*). Dislike something on its own merits.

*It's just a Shiny Charizard with spiky bat wings and it's constantly barfing blue flame. Charizard-Y is a streamlined version of it's base form, looking faster and, ironically, more like a dragon. It also fits better with the other Kanto starters than X.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit like, if you think something is ok, but then everyone touts it as the best thing EVER and won't shut up about it, it gets tiresome after a while. You start to think, fine, it's good, but it's not that good, and then eventually overexposure to the stupid thing and it's ridiculous tongue scarf lead you to hate it's dumb face every time you see it.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think some people hate popular Pokemon because it detracts from their personal favourites. Charizard's popularity pushes the other two starters to the side.
So I should hate nearly every single Pokemon because my fav is Jynx.

But I can sort of see what you mean. I think it's natural to be "jealous" of other popular Pokemon. I don't know if that's the correct word though.
I think I do have this sort of feeling towards Pikachu. Because it's just way more exposed than other Pokemon is combined. And Pikachu isn't a strong Pokemon, and it isn't the cutest Pokemon. I just cannot bring myself to agree with how they chose Pikachu as the main character... should have been charmander/ bulbasaur and squirtle.

So I should hate nearly every single Pokemon because my fav is Jynx.

But I can sort of see what you mean. I think it's natural to be "jealous" of other popular Pokemon. I don't know if that's the correct word though.
I think I do have this sort of feeling towards Pikachu. Because it's just way more exposed than other Pokemon is combined. And Pikachu isn't a strong Pokemon, and it isn't the cutest Pokemon. I just cannot bring myself to agree with how they chose Pikachu as the main character... should have been charmander/ bulbasaur and squirtle.
I dislike Pikachu, but I don't think a Gen I starter should of been a mascot. It'd detract from the other two Gen I starters so much which wouldn't be fair to the fans of the other two starters

Honestly, Pikachu looks the most androgynous to fit well with both genders. It's pretty cute but there's nothing that suggested overly male or overly female aspects. So, it works out fine as the mascot because of that.
Fair point, but I feel like now, in Gen VI, there are more suitable Pokemon.

Opinions against Pikachu's status as the mascot are universal towards mascot characters in general. We would be having this same conversation no matter which 'mon was chose as the "face."

Just look at Mario, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, and countless others. After your day in the sun you are forever looked at as the boring average bar that all others are measured against.

So weep, for every day Pikachu dies so that other 'mons may truly live.

Last edited:
Opinions against Pikachu's status as the mascot are universal towards mascot characters in general. We would be having this same conversation no matter which 'mon was chose as the "face."

Just look at Mario, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, and countless others. After your day in the sun you are forever looked at as the boring average bar that all others are measured against.

So weep, for every day Pikachu dies so that other 'mons may truly live.
Dunno about Bugs dude, I'm a big advocate of Daffy or the Coyote, on any circumstances. But some of the biggest laughs of my life issued when bugs let out the phrase "Of course you realize this means war".

I understand the jealousy concept, but we have to give mascots their merits whenever they do accomplish their goals, and Pikachu mother fucking delivered as face of the franchise given that at the 90s nearly anyone knew about the hepatic rat.

Last edited:
Changing a mascot cost a stupid amount of money. It's the forefront of a company and one way of gaining recognition amongst the market.

Seriously people that think changing Ash or Pikachu would be better have no idea of how marketing works...especially considering the Anime format.

Pokemon X and Y are fairly difficult Pokemon games w/o the exp share. Main reason I say this is because the level discrepancy between some of the first few gyms are massive and (most importantly) most of the generic trainers have very high leveled Pokemon (usually Pokemon that are couple of levels behind the gym leaders) making them much more threatening than in some of the other Pokemon games.

Pokemon ORAS w/o the exp share are also somewhat difficult Pokemon games and are overall more difficult than the originals. Generic trainers are significantly more threatening in these games due to their Pokemon being at a much higher level than in Ruby and Sapphire. In addition to this, many of the pokemon that these generic trainers use have also been buffed to a varying degree due to better learnsets and the special physical split (i.e. Mightyena having physical STAB Crunch).

Last edited:
And let's not forget Steven's almighty Mega Metagross, who despite being overfond of spamming Giga Impact, is absolutely a teamkiller. I remember the thing tanking a +4 bug buzz from a Masquerain 2 levels lower than itself and KOing with Meteor Mash .Or his F*&#@ing Sturdy Skarmory. The postgame rematch is also a bit of a challenge if you're team's levels are not up to par.

X and Y aren't really too difficult without the Exp. Share. You've got access to so very many easy gamebreakers(Delphox, Aegislash, Lucario, Aerodactyl, a bunch of pseudo legends), and the teams of the Elite Four and champion are rather subpar, with Seibold's Gyarados being the only thing that really threatens any team. Drasna is literally a joke, having access to almost every non-legendary Dragon type in the series, and yet possesses four of the worst choices in XY's roster. Wikstrom can be a problem, but isn't really all that scary due to his pokemon all being hilariously slow, and of course, EQ. Malva suffers from the fact that all of her pokemon are either slow, or very frail.Diana presents a bit of a challenge, but she suffers from her Pokemon all having terrible movesets.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • Exp share and exp all should be unavailable until beating the main story for all generations
  • Red and Blue are unplayable ever since Fire Red and Leaf Green release
  • Ice puzzles and Strength puzzles are enjoyable
  • Team Plasma is clearly the most badass of all the bad organizations. Kyurem Cannon speaks for itself
  • In HGSS you are better off not using your starter on your final team

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
  • Exp share and exp all should be unavailable until beating the main story for all generations

Exp Out: That's going a bit extreme. Some players, such as young ones, may need the extra help or want to ignore the grind and get to the rest of the story. It's on the developer to either properly level or have NPCs increase their levels according to the player's Pokemon. If player's don't like the Exp. items they don't need to use them. But as I said, the problem isn't Exp. items making the player too strong but the game not made with the player using the Exp. items in mind.

Remake Hindsight: And I'm sure many would say HGSS makes GSC unplayable and ORAS makes RS unplayable (but not Emerald). That what happens with a remake, it sort of overshadows the original as it not only includes new features current games had at the time but also is able to add on things and fix problems. If you're playing the original games when there's a remake then you're doing it for the experience, seeing how it was like for those who played it when it first came out, not because it has something the remakes don't (with exception to Emerald, though who's fault is that GF?). Besides Red & Blue was barely playable to begin with, look at it wrong and you'll probably initiate a glitch. And they released them (plus Yellow) on the Virtual Console with promised connectivity to Sun & Moon which is more than what GSC and RSE have.

Slide & Push: I think the problem with these puzzles (aside Strength ones being part of the general HM issue) is that many people probably don't think they innovated that much since their introduction. Ice Puzzles major changes have been combining them with a Strength puzzle and horizontal sliding (which I don't think they planned for as I swear I think I broke a few ice puzzles in XY by sliding horizontal) and Strength Puzzles major change was being able to use it to make short cuts. Also they're often used as just dungeon/roadblock puzzles, there's only been a handful of extra places that used a Ice and Strength puzzle to really make you plan your movements.

Starter Choice:
Eh, it's tradition. Typhlosion ain't so bad, Feraligatr is okay, and Meganium... well it can take non-weakness hits well & has plenty of healing.

I always state the same - the Exp items are not the ones at fault. If you don't use them, the game still fails to pose any kind of challenge unless you try to do something akin to a no-exp run.

For us, the game is going to be easy no matter what.

More like "Since Gold and Silver". Since then, the Gen I games are just glitchfests, and to a lesser extent the Gen II games too. The other gens are just outclassed.

I have to disagree with this one. They are boring, plus there has been practically no variation since they were introduced. At least Gen V made Strength a worthy HM to use, and not something to get past those inexplicable Sokoban puzzles.

• Team Plasma is clearly the most badass of all the bad organizations. Kyurem Cannon speaks for itself
Best cutscene ever. At least for someone who has yet to play the Gen VI games.

Uhhh... Feraligatr and its coverage?

Also, Typhlosion is objectively the best fire-type in HGSS. Especially if you're playing Soulsilver and hence have no access to Arcanine.
Sure, it doesn't have any coverage, but what does that matter when you're roasting everything to death?
It's not like the games are THAT hard and you don't have a team of guys too. I mean the hardest trainers in the game sans Red and Blue don't really have variety in their teams and if you don't change shift mode to set mode you can always switch out once you encounter that one water type the trainer has.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Early Fire Blast (you will have enough money to buy it when you first enter Goldenrod if you don't splurge) makes Cyndaquil awesome in HGSS, especially if you abuse it with Blaze. Speedrunners actual prefer it over Totodile specifically because of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)