Unpopular opinions

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention Lake of Rage Choice Specs...
that was your 4k jsyk...
My latest unpopular opinion is that completing the Pokédex isn't very fun. It's usually just a grind through Blissey Bases and "<Pokémon> grew to Level 5! <Pokémon> wants to learn the move <irrelevant move that you'll never use>!" I'm trying to get the Shiny Charm so I can breed for a shiny HP Ice Magcargo, but it can really be a pain at times, even with all the tools we've been given.

breh

強いだね
that was your 4k jsyk...
My latest unpopular opinion is that completing the Pokédex isn't very fun. It's usually just a grind through Blissey Bases and "<Pokémon> grew to Level 5! <Pokémon> wants to learn the move <irrelevant move that you'll never use>!" I'm trying to get the Shiny Charm so I can breed for a shiny HP Ice Magcargo, but it can really be a pain at times, even with all the tools we've been given.
I actually thought it was kinda fun in xy because it forced you to get really clever with the random shit you offered for the GTS. I remember having to get very creative with the trades I wanted to get trade evo mons like gorebyss, evire, etc. Leveling mons to the sometimes excessive evo levels did get to be a pain in the ass but for the most part you don't need to take them over 50, which was pretty doable with le wow and probably even easier with blissey bases. Either way, it felt like doing the whole "trade red paper clip to get a car" thing except on a much humbler scale.

Feraligatr is amazing in HG/SS thanks to the split. Ice Fang demolishes Claire with the exception of Kingdra and with the right moveset can mow right through Kanto's gyms for the most part. I may have a slight bias towards it because it is my favorite starter though.

I for one like the EXP items. I always found grinding to be a bore. Also not like you have to use it. Helps the younger players and even us lazy older players.

I played through RBY recently and actually had a fun time going through it. Sure there are some glitches but most of them are avoidable if you know what to do.

Megagross is a giant pain in the butt. I had no problems with the rest of the E4 or Steven's team until I got to that thing. Luckily I have a plan to beat it this time around.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Megagross is a giant pain in the butt. I had no problems with the rest of the E4 or Steven's team until I got to that thing. Luckily I have a plan to beat it this time around.
I beat it with my Skarmory via Night Slash (I just wanted to weaken it a bit so I could have a Mega vs Mega battle with my Sceptile. Did Night Slash once and did a nice bit of damage, Megagross attacked but surprisingly didn't knock it out but no doubt would next turn, did a second Night Slash which crit and knocked it out. Note I used my Skarmory previously to fight his other Skarmory. Steven's Megagross went up against a weakened Skarmory and lost).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Is it just me, or the narrators for Pokken Tournament USA are really boring?
Not only they don't tell good jokes , their intonations are horrible. Very monotonous.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
EXP Share in XY and ORAS is worst idea Game Freak have ever come up with before consideration of EV training large numbers of Pokémon at once. The fact that you get it right at the start of XY is one thing, but then the horrendous level curve between the first and second gyms means that you are screwed v.s. that gym if you don't use it unless you want to waste hours of your time grinding off the underleveled wilds in the routes around the second gym's city.

I don't think that using the regular EXP share is particularly bad like the gen 6 one is; using it means you sacrifice an item slot and a party slot, and it only allows you to freely level up one Pokémon at a time. In particular it is useful in DPPt because it makes using the Riolu that Aaron gives you a feasible goal, which is great considering how much promotion Lucario had recieved through the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew combined with the inability to catch a Riolu in the wild.

Personally, I love the EXP Share's change. Yes, it does break the game wide open, but I still like how it reduces the amount of grinding I needed. After getting my team set up, I never grinded one bit and it actually allowed me to experience the game because I was ALWAYS ready for the next part of the story when I got there and I didn't have to run back, raise my team so they could all be at the same level, and then move on. And you can still turn it off if you want a challenge and low-level the game. My only problem is that sometimes it's VERY easy to overlevel yourself without trying because the games don't factor in the other parts of the story in it (like the big one I can think of is that the 7th and 8th gyms of Kalos are pushovers compared to the 6th and Elite Four when I got up to them).

It also made raising Pokemon so much easier now. Now, when I'm trying to complete my dex or raise a team, I can do 5 at once and just have my remaining guy beat down the enemies without having to ask everyone on the internet to trade me an extra EXP Share. I do think the Lucky Egg should be rarer though. It used to be a super rare hold item on a super rare Pokemon. Now it's like you can hundreds of them all over - especially in ORAS.

Smogon alert system is the best it always sends me alerts whenever someone posts something new on this thread!

If you don't like the Gen VI Exp. Share don't use it. Yes I know it shouldn't be there but as said by many younger kids simply don't have the patience for grinding. Honestly XY is still a joke in terms of difficulty even without the Exp. Share turned on. Major trainers have terrible parties (E4 now have 4 Pokemon, what?) with mediocre movesets. Outside of mabye Grant and that one random over leveled trainer on the route before his city I don't think XY has much challenge. Bringing back Challenge / Easy mode (they were called that, right?) from Gen V isn't a bad idea if we can access them from the beginning instead of having to beat the game first.

Early Fire Blast (you will have enough money to buy it when you first enter Goldenrod if you don't splurge) makes Cyndaquil awesome in HGSS, especially if you abuse it with Blaze. Speedrunners actual prefer it over Totodile specifically because of that.
I'm remember being surprised when I saw Fire Blast as a TM in the Goldenrod Store. I bought it and used it against Whitney. Not bad actually.

RIP Chikorita :[

I always felt the hate against the Vanillite line's designs was undeserved. I get that they have unoriginal designs, but despite that, I still find their designs to be pretty solid. Vanillite's design is pretty cute, but at the same time cool (no pun intended) due to the cold air it emits in its animation. Vanillish and Vanilluxe continue this trend with their design, albeit being a bit more menacing at the same time due to becoming larger and receiving additional toppings in the form of ice shards on their faces. I really don't see any major issue with their designs outside of being somewhat unoriginal to warrant so much hate from the general Pokemon community.

I always felt the hate against the Vanillite line's designs was undeserved. I get that they have unoriginal designs, but despite that, I still find their designs to be pretty solid. Vanillite's design is pretty cute, but at the same time cool (no pun intended) due to the cold air it emits in its animation. Vanillish and Vanilluxe continue this trend with their design, albeit being a bit more menacing at the same time due to becoming larger and receiving additional toppings in the form of ice shards on their faces. I really don't see any major issue with their designs outside of being somewhat unoriginal to warrant so much hate from the general Pokemon community.
Poor shiny forms. No strawberry or chocolate ice cream :[

I personally like Trubbish's 'ugly cute' design.

Now, the Vanillite line... is too 'generic cute' and unremarkable I don't blame people for forgetting it even exists. It tends to happen in my case, after all.

That's not entirely unpopular, once people lose their nostalgia googles it is either the 4th gen or 5th that becomes the best in most eyes, once the replayability values are factored in and another layer of nostalgia is removed with the 4th gen introducing Wi-Fi and the rise of poketubers the 5th gen rises.

Seriously, the 4th gen had a lot of issues outside of platinum, but the community and stuff going around manage to make a wonky region with loads of issues in replayability quite memorable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)