Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
Eh, Tapu Koko... is it written with the space too?

I have a feeling it is either not its true name or now they start to use new species naming convention. I haven't watched it yet, I'll see it.
Well the Japanese name has a ・ , pretty much acts like a space. Who knows, it will be the first Pokemon with a space in the name, and the ingame conversation already suggested that. Unless it's simply an alias (sounds kinda unlikely...)

I hope that cool af Dazzling gets more distribution, because I hate that fish so bad.

Most of the designs don't really stand out to me except the dragon. Cutiefly is kinda ok >.>

Ability: Dazzling - Prevents Priority Moves from working.

Talonflames and pranksters beware, now this will definitely change the metagame.

Also, Electric Maker immediately makes Electric Terrain. So Field moves are now getting immediate abilities like weathers. I wonder how things will go now. Although then again who uses the sadly awesome yet useless Misty Terrain?

Last edited:
Really hoping the Electric / Steel Hedgehog Pokemon follows some of its fellow Pikachu rip offs and gets Follow Me. A non-mythical Steel-type with Follow Me would be absolutely amazing. Additionally, really hoping Dazzle sees distribution across more than this one fish, and that it covers both partners in a double battle.

This is a really cool crop of Pokemon.
Lucario is unsure whether to cry due to being forgotten or feel honored that someone considers it to be mythical.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Ability: Dazzling - Prevents Priority Moves from working.

Talonflames and pranksters beware, now this will definitely change the metagame.

Also, Electric Maker immediately makes Electric Terrain. So Field moves are now getting immediate abilities like weathers. I wonder how things will go now. Although then again who uses the sadly awesome yet useless Misty Terrain?
Could still suck if it has low speed stats though

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One other random note: This trailer alone released more new Electric-type Pokemon than existed in all of Gen 6 (Literally Helioptile, Heliolisk, and Dedenne, and Helioptile was an early release).

Also Drampa laughs at all the Rotom-formes except Fridge and makes Chandelure, Jellicent, and Gougeist/Trevenant cry. I hope it ends up being something like Lapras with good bulk and all-around stats. Hopefully a little more specialized though. It seems Gooey like Goodra so maybe that's an indication of its stat biases?

So this batch of reveals has been super cool, Sun/Moon has been killing it since day 1. Some thoughts:

Tapu Koko is dope: Electric/Fairy is such a good offensive typing and not have bad defensively. I suspect it will have good stats by virtue of being either a legendary ala sword quartet OR a volcarona-type pokemon. Auto Electric terrain gives it double STAB (as in x2.25) on electric moves and immunity to sleep which is also cool. Hopefully the move they showcased against Slowbro is rather weak because I don't see this pokemon having low offenses. Cool design, too.

Drampa: Old windwaker-style dragon with a unique typing? Yes please. It has the goofiest design ever but I'm still a fan for whatever reason. Frenzy looks like it either doubles SpA at low health or when hit by a SE move. It doesn't look too fast, so I'm hoping it's the latter and that it carries some bulk. Expecting mid-level stats like Flygon or Dragalge.

Togedemaru: Pikaclone with actual good typing. Lightningrod is a bit of a waste but whatever, it's cute.

Charjabug -> Vikavolt: I don't think I've ever been more excited for a starting bug. Bug/Electric looks sick and is actual a mutually beneficial typing. The design makes it look speedy and strong so maybe it'll be a later evolution. So pleased with this.

Cutiefly: They are really doing things with the Fairy type here. It's cute but pretty generic, we'll have to see what comes of it.

Bruxish: This thing is hilarious. I don't expect that it's super fast but Dazzle ability has some definite potential if spread to other pokemon.

One important thing to note is that the fish ability raises the text "Kangaskhan can't use Fake Out!". This probably means it also protects your allies from priority in a double battle aka "infinite quick guard".

Praise the fish.
Could still suck if it has low speed stats though
If it's true that the ability bonus applies for whole team though, I can foresee the Triples with this thing just hanging there to screw every Talonflame, Pranksters, and even Feint.
Why not, if we can pull a Cherrim there?

I for one welcome our new overlord ability.

Ok, I'm LOVING this gen mons, i like all these newcomers and I hope this'll be the trend.

Tapu Koko is amazing, I love how its design is complex without being overdesigned at all. Terrains as abilities are much less gimmicky and more threatening than their respective moves, and auto-electric terrain looks scary on a likely offensive mon like Tapu Koko. Nature Fury looks like a better Nature Power, it would be great as a 100BP normal move with perfect accuracy that changes depending on terrains... If so, that'd make a 150BP electric STAB for Tapu Koko. It's quite obvious that Tapu Koko is some sort of legendary or semi-legendary being a guardian (580 to 600BST), so a trio of guardians legendary with terrains abilities and Nature Fury should be expected (maybe grass/fairy and fairy? Or maybe there'll be some new terrains). A quartet is possible, but I'm expecting the 4th island being reserved for Solgaleo/Lunala.

Drampa is absolutely cute. Hope it'll get nice stat distribution, it looks like specially oriented and/or defensive. Its typing is odd, but I like it being a new combo, and if the ability counts like a sort of special only weakness policy, it could be great with the right stats and moves. If instead it activates on low health, it may be a bit more gimmicky. Both ways, I hope it'll get useful recovery.

Charjabug and Vikavolt: the first is fine and amusing as a cocoon bug, and it looks like it'll not be helpless as usual metapod clones. Vikavolt is BADASS, the first really badass early bug excluding Mega Beedrill (if it even counts, being a mega). It looks as a mix between M-Beedrill itself and M-pinsir, and that's actually pretty good. Hope it'll be physical to differentiate itself from Galvantula: those huge jaws looks promising in that regard. And I hope it'll abandon swarm for something more useful. Strong Jaw would be awesome, but even something like Motor Drive would be cool.

I don't get all the hate for Bruxish: a badass drag queen triggerfish? Awesome! Much more unique than usual fishes. Water/Psychic is ok (pure water would've been boring) and Dazzling blocking priorities is truly a fantastic ability. If it'll has a proper distribution it could greatly influence the metagame. With the right stats and movepool, Bruxish itself could be a fantastic Talonflame counter.

Cutiefly is just a mosquito OVERLOADED in cuteness. I wonder if it'll be the Zubat/Tentacool of this gen. Hope it'll get most draining moves (with some new would be better) and maybe a new draining related ability.

The pika-clone is actually one of the best pika-clones out there. Not only a cute looking hedgehog, but also with a good typing. Of course if it'll stick with the tradition of no evos it'll likely never see the light of upper tiers, but it has the potential of being better than its counterparts.

Anti-priority fish next to Dark Void Smeargle in Doubles.
No Fake Out, no Prankster Taunt, no Prankster Encore, no double targeting with priority moves, no Feint to get past Spiky Shield. Psychic STAB to kill Fighting-types.

glhf
Scraps... I thought CHALK + Dark Void was bad enough in BS-Triples. (Well, without Amonguss, but either Sylveon or feint or support)
ggwp

Wait, Electric field prevents sleep though. With Tapu Koko most likely becoming lesser legendary at best, that can see a good use.

Anti-priority fish next to Dark Void Smeargle in Doubles.
No Fake Out, no Prankster Taunt, no Prankster Encore, no double targeting with priority moves, no Feint to get past Spiky Shield. Psychic STAB to kill Fighting-types.

glhf
The text says stops priority moves "from hitting" probably referring to damage moves only. So Wide Guard and Protect will probably still work, and maybe Taunt and Encore if it is indeed only damage moves.

Rewatched the video and noticed that 50% Zygarde's form change occurred with an activation of the ability swipe. So this either means that its ability has been changed from Aura Break, pokemon are now able to have more than 1 ability at a time (lol), or its transformation has been coded separately from the ability mechanic and simply uses the same animation. Curious.

Reactions: JES
Tapukoko is pretty cool. I'm just concerned since it looks a tad overdesigned with the patterns on its shield arms.

Chargabug is... interesting. That's all I can say about it. It reminds me of an Endermite from Minecraft. Vikavolt looks incredibly badass, though, and I will definitely be training one.

Drampa's neck looks hilarious, but it might be pretty good in battle. Normal/Dragon is an interesting type, for sure - I almost feel like Dragon being Dual-typed with Normal is sort of a sign that it's lost its "mythical" quality and become just ordinary. Now that I think about more, actually, it reminds me of Vitruvius from the Lego movie.

The Water-Psychic fish... definitely looks like something you would find in tropical waters. Doesn't mean I have to like its design, though. I'm hoping that if its ability does block priority, it'll protect its entire side (like an always-active Quick Guard) in Doubles and Triples. I'm also hoping its stats don't suck, and that it's useful for more than just its ability - it's so obvious that Mega Gallade was intended as a Kangaskhan counter with Inner Focus and CC, but it just fails at everything else.

And obligatory Pikaclone is obligatory. At least Electric/Steel is fairly unique.

One thing that bothered me, though: We saw a Kangaskhan in the trailer. This likely means Kang will be in the Alola dex, and given that VGC2017 will almost certainly be Alola dex only, we might have yet another year dominated by Mega Kangaskhan. There's still hope that either the Kangaskhanite is unobtainable in Sun/Moon, or that GF nerfed Parental Bond, though.

Last edited:
I bet that all of the "Guardian Legendaries" (like Tapu Koko) are going to get a Terrain ability!!

I'm calling it right now
It's possible, but I have another theory that makes them all a bit more balanced. There are only 3 terrain abilities and I dislike the imbalance between two dual-types and a pure type (see the genies).

Tapu Koko is based of Ku, so it's likely the other three Hawaiian gods/guardians will be represented. This one is looking to be a speedy special attacker.

Kanaloa: Usually shown as a squid type thing with connections to death and the underworld, as well as magic. If they went with the squid motif, Water/Fairy with Drizzle would make sense for it. I could see it as a tanky pokemon with good bulk and decent offense.

Lono: Associated with peace, fertility, and agriculture. Grass/Fairy with grassy terrain would make sense for it as would a defensive lean to its stats. Grass/Fairy is pretty great defensively and it makes sense that a god of peace would not like to fight.

Kane: God of light/sun/sky. We already have Solgaleo which is associated with the sun, but it isn't fire type. This leaves the perfect opportunity for a Fire/Fairy type with Drought as our final member of the quartet. An offensive powerhouse would be ideal here.

This setup provides ample references to the Hawaiian myths, has some symmetry in that they all have a field effect that boosts their non-Fairy type, and they all retain Fairy to connect them to each other and the magic they represent. Not to mention Fire/Fairy is a new typing we've yet to see. And as a final point - Electric / Water / Fire / Grass legendaries on the 20th anniversary of pokemon.

Final Edit: Trailer confirms the return of Slowbro, Kangaskhan, Milotic, Flygon, Fearow, Pancham, Dragonite, and Emolga lines to the region. Really REALLY hoping GF has been hard at work on that Mega Flygon since they dropped the ball in ORAS. Mega Milotic would be nice too.

Last edited:
It's weird, they finally introduced a koala Pokemon in a Hawaii based region, not an Australian one and Kanghaskan is also going to be in the Alola region. We better get more sun and moon based Pokemon otherwise it's name won't make much sense!

So we have a legendary that sets Electric Terrain coming in, which is pretty cool. We have a mon whose ability causes priority attacks (if not moves entirely) against it to fail. These are pretty neat. Especially the latter, which walls Talonflame.

We have an Electric/Steel Pikaclone. This is what I'm most excited about. Electric/Steel is one of my favorite typings in the game, and if Pikaclone can be even half as good as Magneton/zone, it's going on my team.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Ok, I'm LOVING this gen mons, i like all these newcomers and I hope this'll be the trend.

Tapu Koko is amazing, I love how its design is complex without being overdesigned at all. Terrains as abilities are much less gimmicky and more threatening than their respective moves, and auto-electric terrain looks scary on a likely offensive mon like Tapu Koko. Nature Fury looks like a better Nature Power, it would be great as a 100BP normal move with perfect accuracy that changes depending on terrains... If so, that'd make a 150BP electric STAB for Tapu Koko. It's quite obvious that Tapu Koko is some sort of legendary or semi-legendary being a guardian (580 to 600BST), so a trio of guardians legendary with terrains abilities and Nature Fury should be expected (maybe grass/fairy and fairy? Or maybe there'll be some new terrains). A quartet is possible, but I'm expecting the 4th island being reserved for Solgaleo/Lunala.

Drampa is absolutely cute. Hope it'll get nice stat distribution, it looks like specially oriented and/or defensive. Its typing is odd, but I like it being a new combo, and if the ability counts like a sort of special only weakness policy, it could be great with the right stats and moves. If instead it activates on low health, it may be a bit more gimmicky. Both ways, I hope it'll get useful recovery.

Charjabug and Vikavolt: the first is fine and amusing as a cocoon bug, and it looks like it'll not be helpless as usual metapod clones. Vikavolt is BADASS, the first really badass early bug excluding Mega Beedrill (if it even counts, being a mega). It looks as a mix between M-Beedrill itself and M-pinsir, and that's actually pretty good. Hope it'll be physical to differentiate itself from Galvantula: those huge jaws looks promising in that regard. And I hope it'll abandon swarm for something more useful. Strong Jaw would be awesome, but even something like Motor Drive would be cool.

I don't get all the hate for Bruxish: a badass drag queen triggerfish? Awesome! Much more unique than usual fishes. Water/Psychic is ok (pure water would've been boring) and Dazzling blocking priorities is truly a fantastic ability. If it'll has a proper distribution it could greatly influence the metagame. With the right stats and movepool, Bruxish itself could be a fantastic Talonflame counter.

Cutiefly is just a mosquito OVERLOADED in cuteness. I wonder if it'll be the Zubat/Tentacool of this gen. Hope it'll get most draining moves (with some new would be better) and maybe a new draining related ability.

The pika-clone is actually one of the best pika-clones out there. Not only a cute looking hedgehog, but also with a good typing. Of course if it'll stick with the tradition of no evos it'll likely never see the light of upper tiers, but it has the potential of being better than its counterparts.
Actually Bruxish is a filefish (relative of triggerfish) because its Japanese name is HAGIgishiri, and filefish is KawaHAGI in Japanese.
Hagigishiri is Kawahagi + gishiri (to grind)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)