Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I hope I don't end up eating my words about this, we need to cool the hype regarding the dazzling/vibrant body ability.

Assuming that it is given to a pokemon with decent competitive stats/type/etc., while it would certainly have an effect on the metagame, it won't be the full paradigm shift people are hyping it up as. My sour point is Talonflame, who will continue to have serious offensive presence due to that 126 speed stat (currently 22nd fastest unboosted).

Really, it's the slower pokemon that rely on priority that will really feel the pressure. Azumarill's belly drum/aqua jet set for example.

Plus we are still making assumptions on how it works. So far they've only proven that moves with priority built into them have been effected (quick attack, aqua jet, fake out) and only damage moves. Call me a gambling man, but I bet it wouldn't effect self-priority moves like Protect or Gale Wings - Tailwind, and might not effect status only like Prankster - Taunt or Prankster - Thunder Wave. And even then it might not effect Prankster or Gale Wings period, we don't know yet.

Not gonna lie, it is an interesting and cool ability. But this is approaching X/Y sticky web levels of overhype. So let's wait and see, shall we?

...I take it back, I'll eat my words. My lyrics taste like honey, sucka! ;P

Plus we are still making assumptions on how it works. So far they've only proven that moves with priority built into them have been effected (quick attack, aqua jet, fake out) and only damage moves. Call me a gambling man, but I bet it wouldn't effect self-priority moves like Protect or Gale Wings - Tailwind, and might not effect status only like Prankster - Taunt or Prankster - Thunder Wave. And even then it might not effect Prankster or Gale Wings period, we don't know yet.
I'd just point out that the way Quick Guard functions gives us some room to hypothesize. That attack blocks any move targeting the opposing team that has at least +1 priority, whether it's built into the move itself or granted as part of an ability like Prankster or Gale Wings. It does not stop self-targeted priority moves.

The way it's written, it's probably just going to work like a built-in Quick Guard. The real question is whether it'll only apply to that Pokemon, or to its whole team. (The way abilities like Magic Bounce work support the idea that it probably only protects that Pokemon though.)

I'd just point out that the way Quick Guard functions gives us some room to hypothesize. That attack blocks any move targeting the opposing team that has at least +1 priority, whether it's built into the move itself or granted as part of an ability like Prankster or Gale Wings. It does not stop self-targeted priority moves.

The way it's written, it's probably just going to work like a built-in Quick Guard. The real question is whether it'll only apply to that Pokemon, or to its whole team. (The way abilities like Magic Bounce work support the idea that it probably only protects that Pokemon though.)
I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption, but I try to stick to only the absolutely confirmed data until proven otherwise.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, if it is a legendary, it's not a box cover one nor a mythical; so it'd be legal in VGC. And assuming it doesn't end up being OP, in Smogon as well.
If it's this region's trio (or rather quad) then its BST is 580. 600 BST is also an option though that's usually saved for extra Legendaries and Mythicals.

While I hope I don't end up eating my words about this, we need to cool the hype regarding the dazzling/vibrant body ability.

Assuming that it is given to a pokemon with decent competitive stats/type/etc., while it would certainly have an effect on the metagame, it won't be the full paradigm shift people are hyping it up as. My sour point is Talonflame, who will continue to have serious offensive presence due to that 126 speed stat (currently 22nd fastest unboosted).

Really, it's the slower pokemon that rely on priority that will really feel the pressure. Azumarill's belly drum/aqua jet set for example.

Not gonna lie, it is an interesting and cool ability. But this is approaching X/Y sticky web levels of overhype. So let's wait and see, shall we?

...I take it back, I'll eat my words. My lyrics taste like honey, sucka! ;P
I hate to be a downer, though I'm not holding out much hope for Stake Out and Dazzling/Vibrant Body. They sort of remind me of Furfrou with Fur Coat. Halving damage from all Physical attacks that make contact? Sounds like a great Ability for a defensive Pokemon on the Physical side. Then XY is released and Furfrou's Defense is 60 and no other Pokemon gets Fur Coat. Both of these Abilities sound great, but one is on the gen rodent which aren't that powerful (Diggersby only gets by because it got Huge Power as its Ability) and the other on a fish Pokemon and those aren't any better then the gen rodent. And unless they change the rules concerning Abilities (2 normal, 1 Hidden) I see these Abilities unfortunately becoming Signature as they rarely change a Pokemon's Ability set.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but if you go back history...

Still, speaking about grandpa dragon... I can't think about Tsuchinoko becoming a old Loch Ness dragon, although granted, they have similar serpentine shape... somewhat, and yes, fish-to-octopus thing. I'd say still unlikely though, until proven otherwise.

Bruxish's ability actually suits it in that priority attacks are all about quickly/confidently rushing toward your oppponent and striking them at close range.

Bruxish's hideous/garish appearance seems to be enough to discourage these kind of attacks as nothing wants to get too close to it unless absolutely necessary. Poor little fella...

edit It could also be a joke in that it's apperance is actually highly attractive and thus other pokemon are hesitant to quickly strike against it.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, how typical. You leave the country for two days, confident that you'll be back before the news drop, and then TPC decides to release them early. In Japan only, of course.

Anyway, great batch of news here. Most of what I could say about them has been said by others already. I think Charjabug looks like a box (and I really dislike its name), Cutiefly is a Golden Snitch, and the less we say about Bruxish's design, the better. Tapu Koko looks interesting, though, but I think it nabs the "most impractical hands" medal from Scizor. Seriously, how does it do... anything... with those hands?

Like Codraroll I'm obviously late here, but I just wanted to say that the little that we've been given is promising for the franchise.

Great designs and as far as we know abilities/mons that will impact the competitive aspect. As someone who was really down on another tropical region, I've been swayed into being optimistic about the games.

The next time they give us info though, please let it be the starter's evolutions.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Super mini note:

Mr. Mime and Mime Jr. have both used spaces as part of legitimate Pokemon names. Tapu Koko's name isn't unconvential until you stretch it to "no Pokemon has had spaces in their name unless they also had punctuation as well."

EDIT:

No, its not.

This my fellow Smogonites is a Bee Fly. While they are fuzzy and cute as all heck, these little terrors sneak their eggs into bee hives where they hatch and eat up their food reserves under the guise of an actual baby bee.

As for why its a fairy type, its actually very simple; they are also Changeling, a fairy that steals human babies and replaces it with one of their own, where it is taken care of by loving parents until its true nature is finally discovered.
Remember when DARK types were considered the evil ones?
My suspicions about Fairys finally confirmed.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, more Japanese stuff, but I've been seeing people who are having a bit of difficulty with the pronunciations both in and out of the thread, so just going over it will save a bit of discussion/argument time for other things. When you see vowels in the names, you should pronounce them as such:
  • "a" is pronounced like it is in "mat" (hard)
  • "i" is pronounced like it is in "hit" (hard)
  • "u" is pronounced like "oo"
  • "e" is pronounced like it is "bell" (hard)
  • "o" is pronoiunced like it is in "hot" (hard)
  • "n" when followed by a consonant or at the end of a word is pronounced like it is in "Ben" (soft and full-length)
  • "n" when followed by a vowel is pronounced like it is in Nintendo (hard)
I've also heard people pronounce "g" like "j", but it is a hard sound. You can't apply English sound rules to these words because they aren't in English, and every time the sounds are the same beyond weird intonation quirks which aren't even set in stone (tl;dr if you use the listed pronunciations every time you won't technically be wrong). Most consonants use hard sounds, with the exceptions being h and f (unless I'm forgetting any others), the former of which is a soft sound and the latter of which is somewhere between soft f and soft h.

Every sound in the words should last the same amount of time (e.g. if you spend half a second on the first sound then you should make all of them about the same length; generally speaking you want to aim for between 0.2-0.3 seconds, although it doesn't matter really provided you don't comically extend them). With the exception of "n" followed by a consonant or at the end of a word, which is its own sound, the end of each sound is marked by a vowel, so use that to get your timing correct.
I promise I'm not a weeb ;;;

Anyway so that this isn't entirely non-Pokemon-related, Charjabug looks really cool in general; I love it's design and think it evolves into something completely badass. If we get something like No Guard or an ability that boosts the power of cannon moves by the same amount as Mega Launcher (it could get Zap Cannon and a new Bug-type Flash Cannon clone which is it's signature move) it would be pretty badass imo.

Was there a fixed time when the news was supposed to drop? Cuz it's over 8pm in Japan now and im wondering if this is it...

On an unrelated note, preorder bonuses have been announced for Japan. If you preorder Sun or Moon, you'll get a figure of Sogaleo or Lunala, respectively. If you order both, you'll get both figures as well as an art book.

Here's hoping Gamefreak doesn't pull an ORAS and gives us the figures instead of 200 potions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)