Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
An important thing to note about Tapu Koko's legendary status: on the official Sun and Moon website it is not listed under legendary Pokemon, only Solgaleo and Lunaala. I mean then again Zygarde is also not listed as a legendary but I think that that may show that Tapu Koko isn't a legendary in the traditional sense of the word.

An important thing to note about Tapu Koko's legendary status: on the official Sun and Moon website it is not listed under legendary Pokemon, only Solgaleo and Lunaala. I mean then again Zygarde is also not listed as a legendary but I think that that may show that Tapu Koko isn't a legendary in the traditional sense of the word.
Didn't we already get Pokemon with legendary reputation but not actual legendary status?

Or am I getting confused with the anime?

Magearna is also not listed as legendary. I don't think that means anything.

Mythical Pokemon technically aren't considered legendary pokemon. I doubt Tapu Koko would be mythical, what are we basing its Legendary status on?
The fact it's the guardian of Melemele Island.
I personally think it'll be a rare, non-pseudo non-legendary yet very powerful Pokémon; along the same lines as Volcarona and Snorlax.

Rotom is like this iirc.
Rotom just so happens to have the legendary encounter theme is all. I've never seen it referred to as or implied to be legendary beyond that.

As for Pokémon with a legendary reputation but no status as such, Volcarona might be a good example:

"A sea of fire engulfs the surroundings of their battles, since they use their six wings to scatter their ember scales. When volcanic ash darkened the atmosphere, it is said that Volcarona's fire provided a replacement for the sun."

I mean, that sounds like a legendary if I've ever heard of one.

Last edited:
I seriously don't want Pokemon fusions (IE: Ash-Greninja) to be a thing in the games. IMO I'd much prefer for Megas to stay. (Cause they got so many ideas for Megas that they completely skipped over during Gen 6, as well as a few other ones (If Solrock/Lunatone don't get buffed this gen I'll be a sad panda))

But who knows what that crystal thing that many speculate to be related to supposed fusions actually does?
Agreed. Would consider not getting Sun/Moon if they have Syncro evolutions, since they are practically the same as megas.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rotom just so happens to have the legendary encounter theme is all. I've never seen it referred to as or implied to be legendary beyond that.
Nah I thought Rotom was a legendary for two years in 2012-2013 lol. And if it has the legendary theme in battle then it can be considered to have a legendary reputation or to be associated with legendary Pokémon. I think that Rotom started the trend that gens 5 and 7 followed/are going to follow if anything tbh.

Oh yeah, to those of you that are complaining about the name "Comatose" just remember that Pokemon in this game can easily get paralyzed with just a drop in speed and occasional missed turn. So it's not new for Game Freak to take the name of something terrible and apply it to something that...is nowhere near as bad.

Nah I thought Rotom was a legendary for two years in 2012-2013 lol. And if it has the legendary theme in battle then it can be considered to have a legendary reputation or to be associated with legendary Pokémon. I think that Rotom started the trend that gens 5 and 7 followed/are going to follow if anything tbh.
IIRC the DPP legendary theme was otherwise exclusive to Giratina, and it had some... how could I say it? Creepy parts?

Maybe it could be better be called the "Rare DPP ghost" theme.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I quite like Tapu Koko; not only is its design cool, Electric Surge has competitive potential (and they finally made Terrain abilities). Electric Terrain prevents grounded Pokemon from falling asleep and boosts the power of Electric-type moves, so if it ends up with usable stats, I may just make an Electric Terrain team for VGC 2017 (assuming Tapu Koko is legal in the format, which it should be seeing as it's most certainly not a box legendary or something) because beefier Thunderbolts + Spore/Dark Void blocking is legit.

Bruxish looks absolutely dorky, but I still like it because of its ability. As far as we can tell, it prevents priority attacks from connecting, which is absolutely a big deal (*COUGH* TALONFLAME). Does seem like they're trying to do something about Talonflame; now we just have to wait to see if its stats (or of any evolutions if they exist) are any good.

Rockruff is the dumbest name ever. That's all I have to say about that one.

OH I thought we were discussing legendary status in terms of the in-game lore, not players' misconceptions lol.

In that case, another example in addition to Rotom would be Lucario, whose starring role in the 8th movie left a false legendary impression on many fans.

The "legendaries" that you guys are talking about as far as I know are Psuedo-Legendaries. Not true legendaries in a sense but highly revered, powerful, etc. Whatever the case. Such as Rotom, Volcarona, Dragonite even seeing as its dex entry comes after the legendary bird trio and in some of Dragonairs dex entries it's mentioned Dragonair, Dratini and Dragomite were once considered to be Mythical pokemon.

Sorry, more Japanese stuff, but I've been seeing people who are having a bit of difficulty with the pronunciations both in and out of the thread, so just going over it will save a bit of discussion/argument time for other things. When you see vowels in the names, you should pronounce them as such:
  • "a" is pronounced like it is in "mat" (hard)
  • "i" is pronounced like it is in "hit" (hard)
  • "u" is pronounced like "oo"
  • "e" is pronounced like it is "bell" (hard)
  • "o" is pronoiunced like it is in "hot" (hard)
  • "n" when followed by a consonant or at the end of a word is pronounced like it is in "Ben" (soft and full-length)
  • "n" when followed by a vowel is pronounced like it is in Nintendo (hard)
I've also heard people pronounce "g" like "j", but it is a hard sound. You can't apply English sound rules to these words because they aren't in English, and every time the sounds are the same beyond weird intonation quirks which aren't even set in stone (tl;dr if you use the listed pronunciations every time you won't technically be wrong). Most consonants use hard sounds, with the exceptions being h and f (unless I'm forgetting any others), the former of which is a soft sound and the latter of which is somewhere between soft f and soft h.

Every sound in the words should last the same amount of time (e.g. if you spend half a second on the first sound then you should make all of them about the same length; generally speaking you want to aim for between 0.2-0.3 seconds, although it doesn't matter really provided you don't comically extend them). With the exception of "n" followed by a consonant or at the end of a word, which is its own sound, the end of each sound is marked by a vowel, so use that to get your timing correct.
I promise I'm not a weeb ;;;

Anyway so that this isn't entirely non-Pokemon-related, Charjabug looks really cool in general; I love it's design and think it evolves into something completely badass. If we get something like No Guard or an ability that boosts the power of cannon moves by the same amount as Mega Launcher (it could get Zap Cannon and a new Bug-type Flash Cannon clone which is it's signature move) it would be pretty badass imo.
but names such as the ones to the pokemon announced follow english grammer patterns.

The "legendaries" that you guys are talking about as far as I know are Psuedo-Legendaries. Not true legendaries in a sense but highly revered, powerful, etc. Whatever the case. Such as Rotom, Volcarona, Dragonite even seeing as its dex entry comes after the legendary bird trio and in some of Dragonairs dex entries it's mentioned Dragonair, Dratini and Dragomite were once considered to be Mythical pokemon.
The term "Pseudo-Legendary" actually refers just to Pokémon whose stats rival those of a legendary, more specifically those with a Base Stat Total of 600, of which there exist only 7: Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Hydreigon, and Goodra. But you're not totally wrong regarding the type of legendary-ness we're discussing.

That said, I do think Tapu Koko and its fellow island guardians will be at least minor legendaries on par with 'mons like Azelf/Mesprit/Uxie and Raikou/Entei/Suicune.

Rotom and Volcarona aren't Pseudo-Legendaries.
Their requirements are three stage evolution, 600 BST Pokémon. So it's just Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Garchomp, Hydreigon, and Goodra at the present moment.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

There are only six base stats tho...
No, it's 1530. 1785 would be base 297.5 across all six stats or 255 across seven stats.
1785 is the highest BST any Pokemon can have assuming one has 255 in every stat. It's safe to say Zygrad-Oh is going to have high stats... (Maybe not speed though)
I'm totally hoping for the only Pokémon with 255 in every stat is Supreme Arceus, with an Abiity that makes impossible for it to get super effective damage and a Final Judgment move that's super effective in every single pokémon. That kind of shit should be reserved to the Supreme Being and creator of the Universe.

I'm totally hoping for the only Pokémon with 255 in every stat is Supreme Arceus, with an Abiity that makes impossible for it to get super effective damage and a Final Judgment move that's super effective in every single pokémon. That kind of shit should be reserved to the Supreme Being and creator of the Universe.
Stop giving Game Freak ideas! Do we really want to ban something from Anything Goes?

Pseudos also need to be blue at one point in their life.
The Goodra line isn't blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)