Pokémon GO

Serebii said:
It has been confirmed that field tests for the smartphone game, Pokémon GO, are to begin in the United States of America this month. To sign up, you need a gmail account and to register on the Official Site. This doesn't guarantee that you will enter the field test. Additional global field tests are expected at a later point and we'll bring news on them as and when they come
Fingers crossed.

Edit: this video is so old sorry, I 'm getting old hahahaha
if the game looks anything like this
I'm doomed, unfortunately (fortunately?) I very much doubt it

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised that no one has posted here recently; there has been a lot of excitement about the field testing in the US.

In case you guys haven't heard, testing has been released to many people on America's West Coast, specifically those in Southern California (areas such as OC and LA especially). A friend of mine was admitted as a participant and just downloaded Pokemon Go today. Here's some interesting stuff I found:

The mechanics, from what I saw on their phone, can show local gyms and areas where items can be picked up for free (iirc). Several of these appeared in a 1-mile radius from where we were, but I don't know how far this radius extends. Pokemon can be found in many places, so it's not like they only appear in set, meaningful locations from what I can tell.

We found a wild Eevee, but we were in class and couldn't go catch it, so idk if it's still there or if Pokemon despawn over time. Not sure how rare that is either. I don't know what effects occur when you approach a Pokemon, but given that what we saw with other stuff was accurate, I expect that it should look the way it was shown in the trailers.

The app uses GPS and seems to be tough on the phone's battery, but I don't know if this is a problem for others.

Everyone gets a starter, of course, which is can be one of the Kanto starters. I think it's possible to just start with a random wild Pokemon and use that instead (random meaning you go outside, find some ekans or something, and use that, not like they give you something random and it ends up being a shiny Rayquaza).

Nicknaming exists, and you doesn't need any money or anything like that; it can be done for free at any time iirc. We successfully named the starter Bulbasaur "Bulbab*tch" so I guess swears are allowed. You can change the names as many times as you want too, I believe.

Basically, the hype seems to deliver, but the content is still being explored. Some of this may be common knowledge but w/e, thought you all might be interested.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
We found a wild Eevee, but we were in class and couldn't go catch it, so idk if it's still there or if Pokemon despawn over time.
"Teacher, can I be excused?"
"Why?"
"There's a wild Eevee outside!"
"I see, well answer this question first: What would you evolve that Eevee into?"
"Oh, um, hmm, probably a Flareon"
"Sit your *** back down! Maybe at the end of this lesson you'll learn what to properly evolve an Eevee into."

(Note: Not hating on Flareon, it's my favorite Eeveelution)

I'm a bit surprised that no one has posted here recently; there has been a lot of excitement about the field testing in the US.

In case you guys haven't heard, testing has been released to many people on America's West Coast, specifically those in Southern California (areas such as OC and LA especially). A friend of mine was admitted as a participant and just downloaded Pokemon Go today. Here's some interesting stuff I found:

The mechanics, from what I saw on their phone, can show local gyms and areas where items can be picked up for free (iirc). Several of these appeared in a 1-mile radius from where we were, but I don't know how far this radius extends. Pokemon can be found in many places, so it's not like they only appear in set, meaningful locations from what I can tell.

We found a wild Eevee, but we were in class and couldn't go catch it, so idk if it's still there or if Pokemon despawn over time. Not sure how rare that is either. I don't know what effects occur when you approach a Pokemon, but given that what we saw with other stuff was accurate, I expect that it should look the way it was shown in the trailers.

The app uses GPS and seems to be tough on the phone's battery, but I don't know if this is a problem for others.

Everyone gets a starter, of course, which is can be one of the Kanto starters. I think it's possible to just start with a random wild Pokemon and use that instead (random meaning you go outside, find some ekans or something, and use that, not like they give you something random and it ends up being a shiny Rayquaza).

Nicknaming exists, and you doesn't need any money or anything like that; it can be done for free at any time iirc. We successfully named the starter Bulbasaur "Bulbab*tch" so I guess swears are allowed. You can change the names as many times as you want too, I believe.

Basically, the hype seems to deliver, but the content is still being explored. Some of this may be common knowledge but w/e, thought you all might be interested.
How much data does the game drain when you/your friend uses it?
WiFi isn't everywhere and playing the game from home misses the whole point so I'm curious how much data it sucks.
Also, what's the app size?

How much data does the game drain when you/your friend uses it?
WiFi isn't everywhere and playing the game from home misses the whole point so I'm curious how much data it sucks.
Also, what's the app size?
They didn't specify, but I don't think it was drastic. As for the app size, I'm not sure either.

I'll see if I can find out more in the meantime.

It was confirmed at E3 that while the game will start with the Kanto Pokémon, they will gradually start adding new pokémon, until every pokémon is avaiable. It was also inferred that there are several dozen, around fifty, different pokémon available in a given area.

They also spoke of a late July release date, and said that Pokémon Go Plus will cost about thirty-five dollars.

Last edited:
Honestly I've only been paying half attention to Pokemon GO for quite a while now. They overhyped the games during launch and made it more than they implied it to be (such as the dull battling system and meh graphics) and over time my interest has only gone down. Now though it's so low that I'm probably not going to even get the free version. 25 candies to evolve your pokemon (i.e. 25 catches)!!! No thanks that would make the game incredibly boring real fast (especially as I have no intention to pay as you play). I don't even care about the possible connections with SM anymore (which is said to Eventually happen), because really between XY, ORAS and SM you can get everything you need making possible GO transfers not very valuable. So what's left, some weird gym system that sounds far too much effort to be worth my time maintaining and draining my battery life. I think I'm going to pass on this one.

Also charging $35 for Go Plus is so much of a rip off that its pretty much killed my interest in the app altogether. Hopefully nobody will buy that kind of junk for that price and that its sales will go off like a lead balloon.

Not to mention the public acknowledgement of what you're doing. I'm not ashamed that I enjoy Pokémon by any means, and I tell anyones who asks that the only games that I play are Pokémon games. But that doesn't mean that I don't feel awkward displaying and playing my DS in public, let alone something as colorful as Plus. Still though, I don't see them just implementing Plus for the buzz notification. No one but the die hard collectors and Go players will to pay thirty five dollars unless there's some kind of bonus for it.

One benefit they could give the Plus, for example, would be to make it a pedometer, and like with the Walker, let players earn points with their steps. Those points could then be used to buy items, for example, or to maybe buy evolutionary candies. Likewise, the steps could be used to hatch eggs, like they do in the main games. Granted, these are probably things that could done with modern phones, but it's still something more than simple buzz notification.

Still, I'm excited to actually be able to play these games, and I'm glad that we're so close to a potential release date.

Apologies for the double post, but there's some new info (albeit nothing exciting).

In The Games Department
Pokémon GO - Japanese Field Test

It has been confirmed that the Japanese Field Test for Pokémon GO is due to end on June 30th 2016 US time, July 1st 2016 Japanese time. From that date on, the beta app will no longer work. It's not currently known if the US and Australian Field Tests will end at the same time but as the Japanese e-mail listed the date for the US as well, it's possible that it will. It is also stated that the top 5 captured Pokémon during the field test are Rattata, Pidgey, Meowth, Gastly & Abra. Data will not be carried over from the field test to the full title
Edit @ 04:29: Confirmed to end June 30th in the US.

So what this tells us is that most, if not all, beta test apps will shut off in less than a week, as the real Pokemon GO is set to arrive sometime at the end of July. Additionally, it provides a glimpse of what most players can expect to find (Rattata, Pidgey, Meowth, Gastly & Abra) while exploring. Essentially we have another month to wait until GO arrives.

Any good beta reviews out there? I live on a lot of property so was wondering if the actual type of landscape(bushland/forests, flat plains, bodies of water etc) effects what encounters occur.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
It's also in the iOS Australian app store. Anyone can get it if they're savy enough but it's best to wait until the official release anyways (shouldn't be that long, maybe less than 24 hours?).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well Kotaku has some images up, specifically of the micro transaction store. 20 Poke Balls apparently cost $1.50, so that's 7.5 cents per Poke Ball. Also the highest amount of coins you can get is 14,500 for $160. Geez, do they actually expect people to pay that much (that aren't little kids who are spending their parent's money without their permission)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)