Little things you like about Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah I agree it is pretty damn cool but I don't think it's good game design. Outside of the braille, which 99% of the players probably can't read, the game tells you absolutely nothing about the process.

I think it would've been executed better if they dropped really subtle hints like an NPC saying something like "Ancient texts say Relicanth is affiliated with a Legendary Pokemon!" or a book saying "I_land _ave ___it_2_mi__tes" (Island Cave 2 minutes). This way, players can connect the dots and have SOME sort of information instead of nothing at all. Solving a puzzle that you actually have to figure out instead of being forced to read straight off a guide would be much more satisfying.

I do hope something as complex as getting the Regis returns but done in a way that the community can solve together.
Well I think they could have solved the problem by having an NPC somewhere say "Did you know the ancient people of Hoenn used a simple form of braille as a written language? Braille is an alphabet for those who can't see or see well, the letters are represented by raised dots." Then next to them would be a sign with the braille alphabet on it. Or instead of a sign the player is given a Key Item which is the Braille alphabet, further hinting that braille would be used for something later in the game.

Well I think they could have solved the problem by having an NPC somewhere say "Did you know the ancient people of Hoenn used a simple form of braille as a written language? Braille is an alphabet for those who can't see or see well, the letters are represented by raised dots." Then next to them would be a sign with the braille alphabet on it. Or instead of a sign the player is given a Key Item which is the Braille alphabet, further hinting that braille would be used for something later in the game.
At the same time (if memory serves me correct), braille was shown in the instruction booklet for RSE. I could be wrong.

I know that it was the last page in the Emerald guide book. I don't know about the Ruby/Sapphire one though.
Checked my Ruby manual (since I still have it for some reason), and it doesn't have a Braille guide. Instead it says something along the lines of "If you find some writing on a wall that you can't read, it might be Braille. If you can't find the answers, remember you can always contact Nintendo for help." Prima's Ruby/Sapphire strategy guide, on the other hand, does have a Braille guide.

And on that note, as convoluted as it is, I appreciate that the method to get Regigigas in ORAS is akin to the silly playground rumors kids would make up during Gen I. Granted, not that it excuses how Guide Dang It-y the whole thing is...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't remember if I ever mentioned this before, but one of my all time favorite Pokemon moments just for how ridiculous awesome it is:

YOU RIDE RAYQUAZA INTO SPACE WHO THEN MEGA EVOLVES TO DESTROY A METEOR WHICH TURNS OUT TO BE A LEVEL 80 DEOXYS WHO YOU THEN BATTLE WHILE STILL IN SPACE!

This will be pretty hard to top.

Though since XY we have had interesting battling locations, like in XY you battled Xerneas in a literal technicolor battlefield, Yveltal in a black hole, and Lysandre on the surface of the sun. Though those are just for spectacle, you're not really in those locations.

Shoutout to ORAS making Ralts not only usable, but a fine choice. The little guy benefited immensely from the remakes, and so does anybody wishing to train it.

In RSE a 5% encounter rate on one route for just another frail Psychic wasn't worth it at all. But now you're almost certain to get one thanks to that peculiar tendency of hidden encounters to spit up the rare ones first. The added Fairy typing makes it much easier to work with (especially against Brawly--hello, 4x resist!), and when you finally get your final form you can immediately Heart Scale its best moves onto it: Moonblast and Psychic for Gardevoir; Close Combat, Night Slash, and Leaf Blade for Gallade. Oh, and both Mega Stones are available pre-E4.

Shoutout to ORAS making Ralts not only usable, but a fine choice. The little guy benefited immensely from the remakes, and so does anybody wishing to train it.

In RSE a 5% encounter rate on one route for just another frail Psychic wasn't worth it at all. But now you're almost certain to get one thanks to that peculiar tendency of hidden encounters to spit up the rare ones first. The added Fairy typing makes it much easier to work with (especially against Brawly--hello, 4x resist!), and when you finally get your final form you can immediately Heart Scale its best moves onto it: Moonblast and Psychic for Gardevoir; Close Combat, Night Slash, and Leaf Blade for Gallade. Oh, and both Mega Stones are available pre-E4.
Ehhh I'd disagree a little with the implication that it wasn't usable in RSE. It actually was a great Pokémon if you were willing to look for it; first two stages were a bit of a pain but Gardevoir is an immense reward. Sure Alakazam is arguably better but hey, Gardevoir still easily kicked ass.

I really like Lotad, Lombre and Ludicolo in R/S/E and in ORAS. I always pick it in my team along with Mudkip to split the Water HMs.
Ludicolo has an ... interesting design and typing although has barely the stats to work with (at least they are in the right places, bar Spe).

Ralts is always satisfying and now in ORAS is even better.

I really like Emerald and ORAS because very early in the game I can catch half of my usual final team: Mudkip, Lotad and Ralts.

I really like Lotad, Lombre and Ludicolo in R/S/E and in ORAS. I always pick it in my team along with Mudkip to split the Water HMs.
Ludicolo has an ... interesting design and typing although has barely the stats to work with (at least they are in the right places, bar Spe).

Ralts is always satisfying and now in ORAS is even better.

I really like Emerald and ORAS because very early in the game I can catch half of my usual final team: Mudkip, Lotad and Ralts.
One of these days, I really need to try out Ludicolo, though personally, I use a HM slave Psyduck since it and Swampert will have everything needed to get through Victory Road without costing me any valuable moveslots on my major Pokémon and it only costs me one team slot for that portion of the game.

One of these days, I really need to try out Ludicolo, though personally, I use a HM slave Psyduck since it and Swampert will have everything needed to get through Victory Road without costing me any valuable moveslots on my major Pokémon and it only costs me one team slot for that portion of the game.
If you need to carry HMs, the split between Mudkip and Ludicolo is perfect.
Ludicolo is fine with Surf (due to be a special oriented attacker) while Swampert is perfect with Waterfall (which is physical). Also, Dive is an option.
Ludicolo is quite nice in-game despite not having high BST (460), but what I really like about it is its concept.

At a first glance, Lotad and Lombre are underwhelming, but they are quite useful in the first gym thanks to the Water STAB, so its not that difficult to raise. ORAS gave us a boosted Exp Share to make things easier ===> Lotad is really a high tier monster.

After downloading 4 Manaphy and 4 Mew to my games yesterday, it made me realize how happy I am for the large amount of Wi-Fi events that we get these days. I remember how there only were a small number of Wi-Fi events back during Gen 4, then quite a bit more during Gen 5, and now even more during Gen 6. Wi-Fi events (and other forms of events) have increased since they started with them, which is something I like.

I also like how they reduced the growth times for berries in OR/AS. Now you never have to wait more than 2 full days until the berries are fully grown, the growth times in X/Y sometimes felt ridiculous in comparison.

Turns out that turning off the EXP Share does, in fact, makes ORAS quite a bit more difficult. The new games are too easy, they said. Although Brawly, I'm sorry, but when my underleveled Ralts can torch you just by clicking Confusion four times, something's wrong.

This also makes you appreciate Amie bonuses a bit more, too. The 20% XP boost certainly helps, but there's nothing quite like your little guy shedding a status or dodging or just barely hanging on or nabbing a crit just when you need it. Amie bonuses without the EXP Share not only ease the pressure a bit, they also make the game a lot more exciting. It's not even just the bonuses themselves, either--it's the animation and text changes, too, which really help to build that emotional connection. Who knew hax could be so much fun?

All praise the DexNav 'search' feature, which I've just recently found out to be able to increase the chances of finding the Hidden Pokemon you're looking for. Tfw I've had the game for nearly 2 years now and didn't know about this. Only god knows how much time I would've saved had I figured this out earlier.

I really hope they'll keep this feature in future games because nobody deserves to spend idkhowmuchtime at the RNG's mercy in order to get the pokemon they want.

All praise the DexNav 'search' feature, which I've just recently found out to be able to increase the chances of finding the Hidden Pokemon you're looking for. Tfw I've had the game for nearly 2 years now and didn't know about this. Only god knows how much time I would've saved had I figured this out earlier.

I really hope they'll keep this feature in future games because nobody deserves to spend idkhowmuchtime at the RNG's mercy in order to get the pokemon they want.
If you only knew the amount of time it took me to get a Friend Guard Clefairy for my Kanto Classic Team using that...

Although there are things about ORAS I don't like, I do like how it is now easier to find rarer pokemon and to level up your other pokemon. It means that it is possible to get a quite good team by the last gym. What I probably like just as much is the opening scene to the game. It tricks you into thinking you've got the same opening scene as the originals!

The whole Delta Episode really. The fact that ORAS/XY exist in another universe from the originals was a really neat touch. Plus Deoxys' intro was sick. Rayquaza blows up a meteor and then a black triangle pops up then tendrils appear. So really Deoxys is really to blame for the events of the game. If the meteor doesn't head to Earth, the girl doesn't let Team Aqua or Magma know about Kyogre/Groudon and so there is no real story.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The whole Delta Episode really. The fact that ORAS/XY exist in another universe from the originals was a really neat touch. Plus Deoxys' intro was sick. Rayquaza blows up a meteor and then a black triangle pops up then tendrils appear. So really Deoxys is really to blame for the events of the game. If the meteor doesn't head to Earth, the girl doesn't let Team Aqua or Magma know about Kyogre/Groudon and so there is no real story.
Parallel Dimension: I still don't know how I feel about that. Honestly it only feels like they added that in to convince players who played the original RSE even more why teleporting the meteor was a bad idea where it could hit another inhabited planet. Also it's not like it matters, we're never going to have the two timelines cross. Actually if anything it caused/created mistakes like Professor Sycamore saying Mega Evolution has only been recorded in Kalos... except now in the Mega Timeline it's commonplace so WTF is he talking about? To me it more felt like pandering to nostalgia... which unfortunately brought with it some mistakes in XY when everything was still written as if it was one timeline.

Hitchhiking Deoxys:
I don't think Deoxys really had any control over the meteor, it was just traveling in it.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I'm sure none of us really liked seeing the Battle Maison recycled for ORAS, but I just noticed something about it.
In the normal mode (the easy one with 20 battles), you earn (1*10) + (2*9) + (20*1) = 10 + 18 + 20 = 48 BP-- the cost of many significant exchangeable items (Life Orb, Assault Vest, Weakness Policy, etc). I thought this was a neat little addition.

I love that N has an actual legendary that fights yours in Black and White. It makes the battle so intense, and really helps form the climax of the game.
It also makes the battle somewhat difficult, because even though you have this sick new legendary dragon, N has the other, making it not feel like a one-sided or disappointing battle.
This is truly why Pokemon Black/White is my favourite of the series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)