The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

UFC has been really sleazy with their match making. It's ridiculous that they planned on the FW fight for interim belt when the champ would have been fighting on the same card. WTF is that all about.

Defend the belt or strip him I say. As much fun as it is to see Diaz slap mcgregor around and choke him out I want to see Edgar or Aldo and now one of them will go to the back of the line following a loss.

Any predictions on Werdum/Stipe? Anyone else feel like its Stipe's time? He's a bad mofo

Probably because outside of McGregor, none of the other FWs or lower class fighters can really headline anything. Hell Demitrious Johnson is one of the strongest p4p fighters and pretty much has no competition at Flyweight, and despite his dominance he might co-main event a card at best since no one cares about sub-155 fighters in any class unless it's chicks with tits and the flat chested ones bashing each other apparently. UFC all about the $$$ these days. Since they lost loser Rousey, they tried riding their new cash cow McGregor and he bucked them, so they're trying to re-position Jones as the main cash cow.

Don't think Jones is a big draw though.

They probably pulled the McGregor fight because there is already 3 title fights on the UFC 200 card and it should get big numbers without him. They'll probably save him for NY card.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
nah, McGregor is actually acting pretty butt hurt about the loss. fuck what he said about being humble after a loss. so many MMA fighters forget about the roots off MMA...Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yea lets just make this the fighting sports thread tbh

that knockout on khan was huge but the fight was pointless in truth, golovkin next for canelo now it has to be

shade

be sharp, say nowt
updated this to a catch-all fighting/combat sports thread

anyone gonna be watching fury vs klitschko II? gotta be wlads last fight whatever happens surely

Eh, I'll watch it if I have nothing to do that day, usually Wlad fights are on Saturday afternoons but I was never a fan of the heavyweights and am only one step above a casual fan when it comes to Boxing. These days I'm the same with MMA, unfortunately.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
first celebrity death i've actually been proper gutted about, ali was one of my sporting heroes and a true legend

Well you have to admit, having Lesnar make a surprise one time return to UFC 200 is a great way to get some added buys and bringing back some hype to it considering the dominant performance he had against Mir 100 cards ago (hard to believe it's been that long). Not that I think he'll do that well against Hunt, Lesnar tends to crumble when being hit and unless he's overcame that, Hunt will drop him like a sack of potatoes within 2 rounds I think.

I'll take Lesnar by first round TKO. Hunt's not stopping a double leg from Brock unless he's completely shot. And he's not getting up after the TD either.

Maybe Anderson's 10 title fight streak will get a little more respect now that all the top guys are going to be taking turns holding the belt for months at a time. Just in case people forgot how brutally competitive this sport is, Rockhold went from subbing Bisping with 1 arm to getting KO'd silly in the first round. And before anyone points to Rockhold fighting with his hands down and being extra arrogant thus costing him the fight, go back and watch any Rockhold fight and you'll see it's nothing new from him. Funny how he couldn't handle Bisping's counter striking

Check this out from the Rockhold/Bisping fight:

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/aw5b.mp4

Hilarious

Stipe took Werdum easily.

And Hendo murdered Lombard.

Funny how MMA justice comes around eh!

Last edited:
Mirza, yeah Brock probably takes down Hunt but how does he stop him? Does Brock get to bring a gun? Either a decision by Brock/Sub or more likely Hunt TKO. Did you guys watch Lomachenko absolutely dead Roman Martinez? I love watching that guy fight.

yeah, theyre both old, huge heavyweights so a stoppage on either side is not too surprising, especially since Hunt has taken a lot of stoppages now but Lesnar hasnt fought in years so I feel like Hunt can survive it.

Fedor looked terrible :/

First time ever dropped from a punch IIRC from the feet. Amazing recovery but damn it's time to hang em up man

Anderson Silva stepping up to save the event vs Cormier.

fighting former undefeated Strikeforce HW Tourney Champ.

UFC GOAT

Last edited:
I was pleasantly wrong, Hunt couldn't defend that takedown and Lesnar pretty much beats on him freely for 2/3 rounds. Considering it's been what, 5 years since his last inglorious loss, I thought he looked pretty good, forgot just how unnaturally fast his takedowns were for a giant of a man he is.

Obviously Silva wasn't going to win, not against basically an alternate version of Hendo at a weight class he doesn't dominate in, but he gets props for being the company man and taking a fight not only on 48 hrs notice, but 2 months after gall bladder surgery I think I read.

Tate losing was funny, you'd think after all those fights with Ronda she'd have a better way to defend against not getting choked out, but guess not. Given who knows when that Rousey bitch will return if ever, guess Holm would be up in the batter's box again?

But yeah, for a card beset with so many problems, turned out to be a solid one in the end. Not quite as memorable as UFC 100, but still pretty solid overall in terms of fights.

Also love how Bisping's hatred of Hendo is enough to get the UFC to book him as his first defense. Don't get me wrong, in no way should Hendo be getting a title shot like this for all the wrong reasons. But this is undoubtedly his best chance to finally add a UFC belt to his storied career after being unable to unify any of the Pride ones when they merged with the UFC. Bisping is a hard worker, but his cockiness will get the best of him easily.

Last edited:

shade

be sharp, say nowt
i've seen michael page's celebration doing the rounds on social media. as funny as it is, i don't want to see fighters doing shit like that - shows a real lack of respect to the fellow fighter especially as he was laying there with a fractured skull from a fuckin flying knee kick.

also GGG vs kell brook in boxing is a ridiculous fight for kell to take, moving up weight divisions to fight one of the top ranked boxers in the world is madness. GGG should've been fighting canelo or even eubank jr instead of going for the 'easy' fight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)