MLB 2016

He was a highly rated prospect -- in the Tigers pathetic farm system. Overall he was never as highly touted as the likes of Giolito, Glasnow, Snell, Urias, Reyes, etc. Though that's not a nail in his coffin of ever having success in the MLB.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Cause ButteredToast is slow at posting, here are my picks so far for the All Star game. I'm only picking starters at this stage (and that includes pitching) and doesn't factor in the whole "one player from each team rule.

AL

C: Salvador Perez - what a wasteland of a position lol.
1B: Miguel Cabrera.
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Manny Machado
SS: Xander Boegarts - apparently Machado can't start here. Sorry JD.
OFs: Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, Ian Desmond
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Chris Sale

NL

C: Jonathan Lucroy
1B: Will Myers - I know he doesn't have the track record of Goldy or Rizzo, but you can't argue with 16/10 .290 already this season.
2B: Daniel Murphy - he plays everywhere, so this is the easiest place to slot him.
3B: Nolan Arenado
SS: Trevor Story
OFs: Marcell Ozuna (the breakout is real), Ryan Braun, Carlos Gonzales. I know that Harper will get voted in over Ozuna, but he's been in a slump for the last month and a half and doesn't deserve to be an all star this year imo. I know Braun has been crippled but he's been healthy for most of the year and a stud when healthy.
DH: Paul Goldschmidt. Bounced back in a big way, too strong to keep off the team.
SP: Clayton Kershaw.

Edit: made changes bases on the actual ballot.

Last edited:
C: Salvador Perez
1B: Miguel Cabrera
2B: Jose Altuve
3B: Josh Donaldson
SS: Xander Boegarts - lots of love for Lindor too, both complete young players
OFs: Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, Ian Desmond
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Danny Salazar (fucking sue me)

NL

C: Wilson Ramos - could just as easily go with Lucroy here
1B: Paul Goldschmidt
2B: Matt Carpenter
3B: Nolan Arenado
SS: Corey Seager
OFs: Starling Marte, Marcell Ozuna, Bryce Harper (no way he isn't voted in, but I don't see anyone else glaringly deserving over him anyway)
DH: Wil Myers
SP: Clayton Kershaw.

I mean, outside of retarded Cubs and Royals fans stuffing the ballots, what's your qualm with the rosters?
The grand total of 5 AL Starters getting nods and 100 RPs makes me want to barf. There are deserving SPs that have had great years that have been left off the roster. The whole NL fan vote bullshit makes me want to spew chunks as well because starting Addison Russell and Ben Zoberist over Corey Seager and Daniel Murphy is dumb as living shit.

The All Star Game is meant to be a mid-season break and an honor given to players half way through a long season. It's a fun way for fans who don't watch a lot of baseball to come together and watch some of the highlights of the season. But through all the fanfare, we get lost in the bullshit of managers crafting rosters like they would actual teams and fans mass voting in their own players en masse. It takes away from what the game is supposed to be... a fun showcase of baseball meant to honor the sports best players.

Yahoo Sports also needs to re-implement the Smack Talk because it's ass I can't harass and be harassed by you guys. :(

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Last year really took away from my enjoyment of fantasy football with no individual matchup Smack Talk and the Team Slogans also not showing up on matchup pages, just the main page on a tiny hovertext bubble (or the individual person's team page). :(

I don't even know the all-star rosters and I'm gonna keep it that way, HEH.

BREAKING NEWS: Corey Klubitch is in the ASG while Aaron Sanchez is still out despite having an ERA that's almost a full run less than Kluber. Oh, and Michael Fulmer and his 2.11 ERA isn't in either. Or Tanaka and Quintana.

Is Clint Hurdle picking the teams this year?

Last edited:
The grand total of 5 AL Starters getting nods and 100 RPs makes me want to barf. There are deserving SPs that have had great years that have been left off the roster. The whole NL fan vote bullshit makes me want to spew chunks as well because starting Addison Russell and Ben Zoberist over Corey Seager and Daniel Murphy is dumb as living shit.

The All Star Game is meant to be a mid-season break and an honor given to players half way through a long season. It's a fun way for fans who don't watch a lot of baseball to come together and watch some of the highlights of the season. But through all the fanfare, we get lost in the bullshit of managers crafting rosters like they would actual teams and fans mass voting in their own players en masse. It takes away from what the game is supposed to be... a fun showcase of baseball meant to honor the sports best players.

Yahoo Sports also needs to re-implement the Smack Talk because it's ass I can't harass and be harassed by you guys. :(
I pretty much agree with all of that, but until the system is changed, nothing you can do but expose and exploit it I guess.

Btw you can still smack talk on the app.

I don't have the app, I just use the computer. Which, the smacktalk is currently disabled for maintenance. :/ My Wayne Wright urge has heightened, despite my roster changes apparently not saving last night.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Round One
Trumbo vs. Seager
Cano vs. Stanton
Duvall vs. Myers
Frazier vs. Gonzalez

Round Two
Seager vs. Stanton
Myers
vs. Frazier

Round Three
Myers vs. Stanton

UPSET CITY

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Round One
Trumbo vs. Seager
Cano vs. Stanton
Duvall vs. Myers
Frazier vs. Gonzalez

Round Two
Trumbo vs. Stanton
Duvall vs Frazier

Round Three
Stanton vs Duvall

How's this for upset city kids?

Round One
Trumbo vs. Seager
Cano vs. Stanton
Duvall vs. Myers
Frazier vs. Gonzalez

Round Two
Trumbo vs. Stanton
Duvall vs Frazier

Round Three
Stanton* vs Duvall

*Giancarlo's knees snap in half upon celebration of winning derby

I got that almost perfect bracket. Stanton cruizing to a victory. Too bad he is mondo cursed now and won't hit 5 more home runs for the rest of the year.

maybe i don't watch enough baseball but is there any worse way to lose than by a walkoff balk???
Not even close to the worst loss ever. Those happen more than you think. Runners purposely do distracting shit to throw off the pitcher and distract them from throwing the ball to home in the hopes that they'll make a shit pitch or balk. It's embarrassing, but it's not a horrible way to lose.

I'll tell you about the worst loss ever.

Background for this worst loss ever is important. In the 2011 season on game 135 of 162, the Boston Red Sox had a 9 game lead on the Tampa Bay Rays for the Wild Card spot on the playoffs. With 27 games to go, the Red Sox were nearly guaranteed a playoff birth. Fast forward to the last game of the season. The Red Sox are in a brutal decline and have collapsed in the last month of the season. Their 9 game lead on the Rays is now 0. In the last game of the year, it's winner take all. If the Red Sox win and the Rays lose, the Red Sox go into the playoffs. If both teams win or lose, there is a special extra game to decide the winner.

The day goes off wonderfully for Red Sox fans. The Red Sox are up 3-2 before the game is put on hold for a rain delay. The Red Sox arch rivals, the New York Yankees who are already in the playoffs, are thrashing the Rays 7-0 when the rain delay happens. It's the 8th inning, and the Rays are still down 7-0. But then the Rays have a 6 run 8th inning, but they're still losing 7-6 when the tarp comes off the field.

Tampa Bay, down to their last strike in the ball game, tie it up with a home run. It's 7-7 somehow. Red Sox still winning, but hanging onto a thread 3-2. If the Red Sox win, then they at least get to play another day if the Rays win too. The Red Sox have a chance to add on to their lead, but one guy gets gunned down trying to score (the ball beat him by a literal eyelash) and another guy hits into a double play with 1 out and the bases loaded. But the Red Sox are still winning, and we're going into the 9th inning with one of the games best closers on the mound. The Yankees and Rays are tied in the 11th inning, but again, we win our game we can fight on. And even if we lose, if they Rays lose too, we still aren't dead.

It's the 12th inning for the Yankees. They have runners on first and third with no one out, and a great player in Jorge Posada coming to the plate. All he does is hit the ball right to the 3rd baseman, who then tags the runner out at 3rd base. ANY contact not hit at someone wins the game for the Yankees and the Red Sox live on.

Back to the Red Sox. One of the greatest closers in Red Sox history gives up the lead on a double, and it's 3-3 Orioles. There is now 2 outs in the 9th inning, and Robert Andinio lines a ball right towards superstar outfielder Carl Crawful Crawford, who decides that instead of catching the ball standing up, he'll go into a sliding dive feet first and put his glove in a chicken wing type of position so he can fuck up the play, not catch the ball, and let the Orioles win on a walkoff 4-3.

Red Sox lose, but it's not over. The Rays are still playing and if they lose, well shit. The Red Sox could still make the playoffs. But exactly 3 minutes after the Red Sox lose, the Rays hit a walkoff homerun. And a 9 run lead in the beginning of the month ends in the Red Sox being kicked out of the playoffs and losing two fucking walkoffs in nearly impossible situations.

The kicker of this whole shit is that on that same day in the very same season, Atlanta Braves blew a 8.5 game lead on the Cardinals. And with the Braves and Cardinals tied with 1 game to play, the Braves blew a lead and the Cardinals won by some obscene score I don't remember because I was glued to both the Red Sox and the Rays games.

THAT'S one of the worst ways you can lose a game. One of the worse ways you can lose a season. One of the worse ways for the greatest manager and general manager that your organization has ever seen to be let go, and for some of your favorite players to get literally ran out of town by some clown of a manager. Shit, if the Red Sox didn't somehow magically win the world series just 2 years later with a rag tag group of average players, I'd be more fuming than I already am still today...

hahaha that's actually pretty funny because I am reminded of those games everyone time I boot up mlb the show 12...

I guess in the big picture of things that's a pretty bad/unlucky way to lose!

Stallion

Tree Young
Not even close to the worst loss ever. Those happen more than you think. Runners purposely do distracting shit to throw off the pitcher and distract them from throwing the ball to home in the hopes that they'll make a shit pitch or balk. It's embarrassing, but it's not a horrible way to lose.

I'll tell you about the worst loss ever.

Background for this worst loss ever is important. In the 2011 season on game 135 of 162, the Boston Red Sox had a 9 game lead on the Tampa Bay Rays for the Wild Card spot on the playoffs. With 27 games to go, the Red Sox were nearly guaranteed a playoff birth. Fast forward to the last game of the season. The Red Sox are in a brutal decline and have collapsed in the last month of the season. Their 9 game lead on the Rays is now 0. In the last game of the year, it's winner take all. If the Red Sox win and the Rays lose, the Red Sox go into the playoffs. If both teams win or lose, there is a special extra game to decide the winner.

The day goes off wonderfully for Red Sox fans. The Red Sox are up 3-2 before the game is put on hold for a rain delay. The Red Sox arch rivals, the New York Yankees who are already in the playoffs, are thrashing the Rays 7-0 when the rain delay happens. It's the 8th inning, and the Rays are still down 7-0. But then the Rays have a 6 run 8th inning, but they're still losing 7-6 when the tarp comes off the field.

Tampa Bay, down to their last strike in the ball game, tie it up with a home run. It's 7-7 somehow. Red Sox still winning, but hanging onto a thread 3-2. If the Red Sox win, then they at least get to play another day if the Rays win too. The Red Sox have a chance to add on to their lead, but one guy gets gunned down trying to score (the ball beat him by a literal eyelash) and another guy hits into a double play with 1 out and the bases loaded. But the Red Sox are still winning, and we're going into the 9th inning with one of the games best closers on the mound. The Yankees and Rays are tied in the 11th inning, but again, we win our game we can fight on. And even if we lose, if they Rays lose too, we still aren't dead.

It's the 12th inning for the Yankees. They have runners on first and third with no one out, and a great player in Jorge Posada coming to the plate. All he does is hit the ball right to the 3rd baseman, who then tags the runner out at 3rd base. ANY contact not hit at someone wins the game for the Yankees and the Red Sox live on.

Back to the Red Sox. One of the greatest closers in Red Sox history gives up the lead on a double, and it's 3-3 Orioles. There is now 2 outs in the 9th inning, and Robert Andinio lines a ball right towards superstar outfielder Carl Crawful Crawford, who decides that instead of catching the ball standing up, he'll go into a sliding dive feet first and put his glove in a chicken wing type of position so he can fuck up the play, not catch the ball, and let the Orioles win on a walkoff 4-3.

Red Sox lose, but it's not over. The Rays are still playing and if they lose, well shit. The Red Sox could still make the playoffs. But exactly 3 minutes after the Red Sox lose, the Rays hit a walkoff homerun. And a 9 run lead in the beginning of the month ends in the Red Sox being kicked out of the playoffs and losing two fucking walkoffs in nearly impossible situations.

The kicker of this whole shit is that on that same day in the very same season, Atlanta Braves blew a 8.5 game lead on the Cardinals. And with the Braves and Cardinals tied with 1 game to play, the Braves blew a lead and the Cardinals won by some obscene score I don't remember because I was glued to both the Red Sox and the Rays games.

THAT'S one of the worst ways you can lose a game. One of the worse ways you can lose a season. One of the worse ways for the greatest manager and general manager that your organization has ever seen to be let go, and for some of your favorite players to get literally ran out of town by some clown of a manager. Shit, if the Red Sox didn't somehow magically win the world series just 2 years later with a rag tag group of average players, I'd be more fuming than I already am still today...
I'm sorry but being one strike away from your first world series win ever not once but twice, and then losing because of fringe players, is worse than that. Your loss was more improbable, but ours was on a much bigger stage and still hurts me to this day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)