Pokémon GO

I got a gastly on the shitter at work, I can die happy knowing I pooped out a pokemon
I don't know why but I got a lot of pokemons around my house but almost none at work, it might be inversely proportional to the number of pokestops, because there's a lot of them around the office but very few at home.

And yeah... servers are messed up, how am I supposed to defend my gyms =/

So it turns out my Charmander is particularly large in size and height! On another note is there a way to release pokemon? My second spearow has Drill Peck > Aerial Ace and my second Rattata has Hyper Fang!

I have been really excited to play this game, and I finally got in with a google account today and walked around my neighborhood for about an hour. I have exactly one gym and pokestop right next to each other, but too far for me to walk to, and nothing else in sight. I walked around for 40 minutes finding nothing, and was about to walk home defeated when I finally found a spearrow. What would you recommend me to do so I can find more pokemon and gyms/pokestops?

Reactions: Ren
Am I the only one who really doesn't give a damn for Go?

I mean, I really thought at first that the thing would be a must have for me, but 1, it doesn't come for Windows Phone; 2, it needs a more powerful android device, and those are quite expensive here; 3, I really don't like the level up and evolution methods, and I'd rather sit somewhere safe to play my AS than walk around looking at my phone screen for something that really only serves to drain my data plan and my battery.

So I'm in the middle of a training phase at my new job. It's cool because there's about 11 of us., and we're all around the same age group. There's 4 people who emulate the games on their phones (I bring my SP to work). Anyways, there's all kinds of regular staff (not trainees) just walking around the office today, more than usual. I hear these engineers saying they're running into different Mons in Go. Even my trainer said he downloaded Go and got more steps today than he usually does in a week.
So yeah, it's pretty cool seeing my favorite franchise getting so much love at my work!

So a group of friends and I all got our phones out and drove to a local park. I tell you what, anywhere with that dark green "park" color on the map is just teeming with stuff. The one we went to is really close to us all, and had 2 gyms and we estimate 20-30 PokeStops in it. We walked around the entire loop thing for as long as our incense lasted, and got a great haul of items and Pokemon from it. The gym battle was glitching out because RIP servers, but it was still really cool. Not to mention lots of people passing us knew exactly what we were all doing, and yelled things like "Gotta catch em all, huh?"

My girlfriend works near a big city too, and during her lunch she went out and explored a bit because there were so many PokeStops and a gym near her building. She ran into other trainers!! They took a group picture and sassed each other about how the Team Blue guy is totally gunna protect the gym from our Team Yellow. I even saw something on Reddit today about how someone got a date by looking for Eevee's and meeting a girl on his walk. This game, once the initial freakout and server issues sort themselves out, is really fun! I can't wait for trading, the Go Plus, and more generations to come to this!!

So a group of friends and I all got our phones out and drove to a local park. I tell you what, anywhere with that dark green "park" color on the map is just teeming with stuff. The one we went to is really close to us all, and had 2 gyms and we estimate 20-30 PokeStops in it. We walked around the entire loop thing for as long as our incense lasted, and got a great haul of items and Pokemon from it. The gym battle was glitching out because RIP servers, but it was still really cool. Not to mention lots of people passing us knew exactly what we were all doing, and yelled things like "Gotta catch em all, huh?"

My girlfriend works near a big city too, and during her lunch she went out and explored a bit because there were so many PokeStops and a gym near her building. She ran into other trainers!! They took a group picture and sassed each other about how the Team Blue guy is totally gunna protect the gym from our Team Yellow. I even saw something on Reddit today about how someone got a date by looking for Eevee's and meeting a girl on his walk. This game, once the initial freakout and server issues sort themselves out, is really fun! I can't wait for trading, the Go Plus, and more generations to come to this!!
How big is the park for you? I have a local one in my neighborhood but it had pretty much nothing until near the end of an hour, where on the backside I was able to catch my first pokemon. I suspect maybe if I go there at different times of day it will be better, but I really wish I could find more pokemon without incense. It also sucks not having a single pokestop or gym easily accessable near my home D:

e: also does anyone know the relative distance from me by comparison to the expanding circle at its largest radius when it shows a pokemon with 3 steps or 2 steps?

Last edited:
I'd probably like this game a lot more if I could log into the damn thing to play >.>

Got like 30 seconds in and chose Squirtle, but then found out my wanted username was taken despite the fact it's even my Pokemon Trainer Club username...sigh...would've been nice if those were reserved. And since I haven't been able to log in, let alone chose a damn username, probably my other choices are gone by now to, surrendered to some boob who will probably play for a day and quit and never use it again.

Well Ive walked about 5kms on my property and have yet to run into a single Poké. The gps works fine and shows my various dams and the boundary road so i don't know what to do.

A bunch of people in my neighborhood are prowling around at night now, myself included. People stopping by churches, friends traveling in packs, riding bikes....Its like its still daytime.

And HOLY ULTRA BALLS, WILD PIDGEOT. Strongest Pokemon I've seen thus far, and right when the nearby gyms are still being gaurded by puny double didgit mons

How big is the park for you? I have a local one in my neighborhood but it had pretty much nothing until near the end of an hour, where on the backside I was able to catch my first pokemon. I suspect maybe if I go there at different times of day it will be better, but I really wish I could find more pokemon without incense. It also sucks not having a single pokestop or gym easily accessable near my home D:

e: also does anyone know the relative distance from me by comparison to the expanding circle at its largest radius when it shows a pokemon with 3 steps or 2 steps?
The park I went to was 42 acres. It's a pretty decent size, and it's kind of in the middle of a fairly popular "suburban" area, so I'm not surprised Niantic/Google tagged it as a popular area.

According to Serebii:
  • 0 Footprint - The Pokémon is right on top of you and will appear soon
  • 1 Footprint - The Pokémon is within approx. 20 metres
  • 2 Footprints - The Pokémon is within approx. 100 metres
  • 3 Footprints - The Pokémon is within approx. 1 kilometre

I caught a Venonat while in the backseat of my roommates car and it was strangely super exciting. I'm going to walk the 1/2 mile to work tomorrow morning instead of driving so I can catch so more :p

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So it turns out my Charmander is particularly large in size and height! On another note is there a way to release pokemon? My second spearow has Drill Peck > Aerial Ace and my second Rattata has Hyper Fang!
"Transfer" is essentially the Pokemon Go equivalent of releasing Pokemon.

When you go to the main menu, click on the Pokeball and then Pokemon. You are given a list of all your Pokemon. When you click on a Pokemon, you see all of its stats, moves etc. At the bottom when looking at a Pokemon individually, there is the transfer button. That lets you release Pokemon.

You also get a Pokemon candy for transferring the Pokemon - e.g. a NidoranM candy for releasing NidoranM, Nidorano or Nidoking.

Can someone please confirm me that v. 0.29 will be compatible with 1.0 incoming in EU, and then I don't have to re-do everything? Please.

Anyone else feel like Niantic fucked up? It's like they didn't expect the game to be popular or something...

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SOmething for everyone to know about PokeStops - they are generally going to be public buildings/areas (churches, post offices, American Legion, VFW Posts, parks), landmarks (historical sites, fountains, war memorials), and displayed art (statues, sculptures, outdoor murals). All of the locations were based on submissions to Niantic by players (they're using existing Ingress portals) so there will be a few random exceptions to this of course, but for the most part that's where you'll find them. You will sometimes find clusters of them in parks because there are a series of landmarks there like soldier memorials. Churches will also more often than not have multiple stops because they tend to have statues displayed outside. Other places of note: Municipal complexes sometimes have lots of memorials and other landmark buildings so they're good to check out. Keep this in mind and you'll always know where to find stuff!

As for my personal experience with the game, it would be nice if things were a bit more intuitive and/or the tutorials were better. I had to figure out on my own how to catch a mon, and I'm still trying to figure out how the gym battle is supposed to work (do you rapidly tap on the opponent mon? Long press? Move your own guy around?). Is there a guide out somewhere that explains all this stuff?

Attempted my first gym battle today and I was winning, but the thing froze up and the timer simply counted down to zero and hung there endlessly. Then the next time I reloaded the game it would keep recycling back to the gym overview screen every time I tried to GO enter the battle. Annoying, but I'm a little more accepting of bugs like that being that this is the first few days of release. I'm sure things will be addressed in coming patches.

Protip for newbies: don't bother powering up the early mons you catch. As you gain levels the pokemon you encounter will be stronger as well so it's better to just catch as much as you can, continue to 'transfer' (recycle) duplicates and horde candies until you can evolve stuff.

Reading all these experiences, good and bad, really makes me want a phone.

I do have a question though. I heard you need a Pokemon Trainer Club account to play? Is this true? I want to know if I should make one or not.

I am prolly not the only one with this problem, but I noticed my phone has a GPS signal not found sort of message and I can't find mons because of that. My location is on and I restarted, plus I have like 3 Gyms and about 10 PokeStops within a mile of my house (in America) so it isn't in the middle of nowhere. So idk what is up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)