Aggron [GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Aggron's power is often overwhelming due to Head Smash and its high Attack stat, especially when using a Choice Band. This offensive presence is what allows it to threaten two of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, Musharna and Mega Audino, without losing any offensive merit versus other slow threats. The ability Rock Head allows Aggron to repeatedly use Head Smash against slower targets without suffering recoil damage, which allows it to flourish against slow teams, often picking up multiple KOs. However, Aggron has a weak matchup versus offense due to its low Speed and typing, leaving it weak to common Fighting- and Ground-type moves, which are commonly carried as extra coverage by Normal-type Pokemon. A low Special Defense stat also keeps Aggron from using its resistances. This is especially noticeable against Ice- and Normal-types, as they can muscle past Aggron or have appropriate coverage to hit it hard. Aggron also occupies the Rock- and Steel-type slot on a team while not effectively checking Normal- or Flying-types, stacking defensive weaknesses.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Heavy Slam
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Rock Head
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==============

Head Smash 2HKOes Rock-resistant Pokemon such as Hariyama and Golurk. Only a couple of Pokemon can reliably switch into Head Smash, such as Gastrodon and defensive Poliwrath, but even they take a substantial amount of damage from it. Heavy Slam allows Aggron to easily beat Mega Audino and Rhydon, hitting both for super effective damage. Its use extends beyond that, though, as there might be situations where its power is enough and you can't risk missing Head Smash. Superpower in combination with an Adamant nature and Choice Band allows Aggron to 2HKO Steelix and Ferroseed, two prominent Head Smash responses. Superpower is the Fighting-type move of choice because Low Kick offers either equal or less damage depending on the target, but it does offer a more reliable 2HKO on Steelix and does not leave Aggron at -2 Attack and Defense after the KO. Ice Punch is primarily used for Torterra, which is able to switch into Head Smash with ease and threaten to KO with Earthquake, though Ice Punch requires Stealth Rock to be set up to OHKO defensive Torterra sets.

Set Details
==============

Rock Head allows Aggron to use Head Smash without the worry of recoil, while maximum Attack and Speed EVs, a Choice Band, and an Adamant nature allow Aggron to be as threatening as possible. A Jolly nature can be considered to ensure that Aggron outspeeds neutral-natured Aurorus, offensive Mega Audino, and other Adamant Aggron, but the power from an Adamant nature is often more sought after. Stone Plate is an option over Choice Band to bait Head Smash switch-ins with a surprise follow-up coverage move, but the damage drop is noticeable.

Usage Tips
==============

Aggron has trouble switching into offensive threats and dealing with fast teams in general due to its weaknesses to common coverage moves. In terms of offensive Pokemon Aggron can switch into, Scyther and Swellow present opportunities, as Scyther's STAB moves do pitiful damage, and Swellow can only hurt Aggron with Heat Wave. Look towards using Head Smash the most against offensive teams, as their Pokemon are frail for the most part and won't be able to take the hit. Despite Aggron's bad matchup versus fast teams, Aggron has little trouble with slower ones, being able to come in on passive Pokemon such as Miltank and Musharna. Being wary of Rock-resistant Pokemon is important, as using Head Smash and being forced out will sap momentum, so be ready to opt for your coverage moves.

Team Options
==============

Late-game cleaners and physical Water-types such as Kabutops, Samurott, and Barbaracle especially appreciate having bulky walls and their common checks being broken by Aggron, while faster Pokemon can pick up the slack where Aggron lacks. Reliable pivots such as Baton Pass Musharna, defensive Xatu, and Rotom greatly aid Aggron in getting into the battle safely, and all of the aforementioned Pokemon are good switch-ins to Pokemon that use the Fighting- and Ground-type moves that easily beat Aggron. Since Aggron is so slow, Sticky Web from Smeargle or Thunder Wave from Mesprit or Lanturn can easily turn faster offensive threats into sitting targets for Head Smash. Entry hazard support is key, as entry hazards can dissuade Aggron's usual switch-ins from repeatedly taking hits. Stealth Rock secures the 2HKO on defensive Poliwrath, while Spikes ensures Gastrodon can be 2HKOed. Defensive Mesprit is a particularly good choice due to its resistance and immunity to Fighting- and Ground-type attacks respectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============

Aggron has plenty of alternative moves that allow it to hit more specific targets, but the given moveset provides the most coverage. Earthquake allows for free damage on Garbodor without triggering Rocky Helmet or Aftermath recoil, while Double-Edge does decent damage to Gastrodon, Poliwrath, and Torterra but is too weak to use regularly. Toxic can be used to cripple the previously mentioned checks, but using it on a Choice set is not recommended, as your opponent can play around it once Aggron is locked into it. A Substitute and Magnet Rise set can be effective in circumventing certain checks to the wallbreaking set and allowing Aggron to avoid being burned. Aggron gets Stealth Rock, so a lead set is possible, as you're able to force switches due to Aggron's offensive prowess while also not having to worry about Xatu switching in due to it being KOed by the potential Head Smash. Rock Polish allows Aggron to sweep late-game, as Aggron outspeeds everything except Ninjask when you give it a Jolly nature after a Speed boost. Aggron doesn't hit nearly as hard without Choice Band and it's also vulnerable to Fighting-type priority moves such as Hitmonchan's Mach Punch and Poliwrath's Vacuum Wave; however, Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet are much less threatening while Aggron is healthy. Sleep Talk is a viable move to run, as two very common threats in Vivillon and Jynx run sleep-inducing moves, although you have to be wary of Jynx possibly carrying Focus Blast.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Water-types**: Poliwrath and Gastrodon are as close to counters as it gets, taking reasonable damage from every move Aggron has and being able to OHKO Aggron in return with their STAB priority Vacuum Wave and Earth Power, respectively. Offensive Water-types such as special Samurott and Floatzel can outspeed and OHKO Aggron before it can attack.

**Ground-types**: Torterra and Steelix are both able to effectively switch into Head Smash but have trouble with Ice Punch and Superpower, respectively. Their presence prevents Aggron from mindlessly spamming Head Smash, and upon switching, they threaten to OHKO Aggron with their STAB Earthquake or set up Stealth Rock as it switches out.

**Fighting-types**: Combusken, Hitmonchan, and Primeape are all able to outspeed and OHKO Aggron with their 4x super effective STAB moves, while Hariyama is able to take a hit and threaten back with Close Combat.

**Faster Attackers**: Aggron's weaknesses are easily exploited by both physical and special attackers. Pokemon that have access to moves that can take advantage of Aggron's 4x weakness to Ground and Fighting like Tauros, Jynx, and Archeops can easily outspeed and OHKO Aggron. Pyroar and Magmortar are also deadly because of their high Special Attack stats, and despite taking Fire-type attacks neutrally, Aggron's Special Defense is pitiful.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
[OVERVIEW]

Aggron possess the means to be one of the most offensive pokemon in the tier. Its high offensive potential is due to a combination of its great Attack stat, a high powered move in the form of STAB Head Smash and the Rock Head ability. For anything that isn't beat by Head Smash, Aggron has access to coverage moves to hit them effectively. Heavy Slam, Low Kick and Fire Punch are the moves of choice to hit Rock resistant enemies like Ferroseed, Torterra and Steelix. Aggron's Steel/Rock typing grant it a few key resists which enable it to switch in. Being able to switch in to normal, flying and psychic moves is a valuable asset due to the abundance of those move types. Its typing is not without its downfalls though as Fighting, Fire and Ground are common offensive move types in the NU tier, leaving it susceptible to being beat before it can attack due to its low speed. At first glance Aggron may seem similar to Steelix but it carves its own niche. Due to a low Special Defense it has little defensive merit but has more than enough offensive presence to justify its use.
- Aggrons's role as a wallbreaker / holepuncher should be noted here, due to the obscene power of its Head Smash.
- Aggron's matchup against Musharna and Mega Audino should be emphasized here, as it is one of the few Pokemon in the tier to threaten both of them while being a strong offensive force in general.
- You're really overrating Aggron's defensive ability here: while it does resist Normal and Flying, Aggron completely fails as a Kangaskhan, Tauros, and Archeops check, and its low special bulk means it is unable to make good use of its Ice resist either. The amount of offensive Pokemon Aggron checks is also small enough to be counted on hand, so might as well specify those few (Swellow, Scyther, non-Life Orb Mesprit & Xatu, physical Skuntank).
- Aggron is not similar to Steelix at all; Aggron functions as a holepuncher, while Steelix primarily takes hits.
- Emphasize Aggron's poor matchup against offense, and the fact that it occupies the Rock and Steel slot while not functioning as a proper Normal / Flying check can leave its team defensively vulnerable.

[SET]
move 3: Low Kick
move 4: Fire Punch / Ice Punch

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==============
Head Smash is your most used move as it hits pokemon that only have a x2 resist it for high damage such as Mawile and Vileplume, even more so than Fire Punch which is super effective. Heavy Slam is used because of Aggron's heavy weight enabling it to hit for high amounts of damage, and it's much more reliable to due its 100% accuracy versus Head Smash's 80%. Low Kick and Fire Punch allow you to hit the select few pokemon that resist both of Aggron's STAB moves. Ice Punch is an option to hit Claydol and Torterra for more damage than your other moves, but you already 2HKO them with Heavy Slam and Fire Punch respectively so it may not be worth it unless your team is particularly weak to them.
- It cannot be stressed enough that Head Smash should be the go-to move nearly every time, unless the opponent has a particularly sturdy Rock resist that warrants the use of Aggron's other moves. You can list some examples to showcase the sheer power of Head Smash, such as its ability to cleanly 2HKO the likes of Hariyama and Golurk (while demonstrating that they do not constitute "sturdy Rock resist").
- Since Head Smash is already so strong, the other moves should be used for more specialized targets, which you should most definitely list examples of (what do Low Kick and Fire Punch hit?):
  • Heavy Slam is primarily used to crush Mega Audino and smack Rhydon, but you could also mention its superior accuracy (you don't need to mention percentages) when it comes to finishing off opponents; your phrasing here sounds like Heavy Slam is more reliable than Head Smash in general.
  • Low Kick is mostly just to cleanly 2HKO Steelix, though I will get to this point later.
  • Fire Punch is primarily to beat down Ferroseed, but also has a high chance to 2HKO tank Torterra after SR damage.
  • Remove Claydol as an Ice Punch target; as you said Heavy Slam already 2HKOes so there is no need to go out of your way to hit that. Do highlight Ice Punch's ability to cleanly OHKO tank Torterra after Stealth Rock damage.
- Here is my first big change: replace Low Kick for Superpower and remove Fire Punch from the last slot. Adamant CB Superpower already has a really high chance of 2HKO Steelix and can cleanly 2HKO Ferroseed, plus its higher overall base power than Low Kick against most mons in NU makes it harder to pivot around. Even accounting for the -Atk drop, there aren't much, if any opponents that can set up on the -1 Superpower that don't already take advantage of Low Kick. Low Kick has more merit on Jolly Aggron to get the cleaner 2HKO on Steelix, but Jolly only seems good enough to be in Set Details as opposed to being slashed after Adamant, so Low Kick doesn't seem slashworthy as well.

[SET]

Set Details
==============
Max Attack and Speed allow Aggron to take advantage of what it does best which is firing off hard hitting attacks. Adamant and Choice Band ensures you do the most damage as possible, Jolly is an option but the loss of power is noticeable and its use is reliant on the popularity of other base 50s pushing for max Speed to out speed and surprise Aggron. The most likely candidates for this are Hariyama and Piloswine. Stone Plate is an option which can allow you to get the jump on a potential switch in to Head Smash such as Torterra so you can then use the appropriate coverage move, but the difference in power is noticeable.
- Note that Adamant Aggron can outspeed up to Jolly Rhydon.
- How is this loss in power notable. Also list down examples of Pokemon that Jolly nature outspeeds, such as neutral-natured offensive Mega Audino and Aurorus.

Usage Tips
==============
It's important to rely on switching into moves you cannot be harmed by. Resists are not the end all be all due to Aggron's low special defense stat, case in point being Piloswine's Icicle Crash vs an Ice Beam coming from Vanilluxe. Be prepared to switch Aggron into choice locked moves such as Swellow's Boomburst or Scyther's STAB moves. Head Smash will be your move of choice in most situations unless your opponent still has a hard counter available in which case you'll need to throw out a reliable coverage move depending on the situation or be prepared to double switch. This makes having a strong defensive backbone or reliable pivot key to Aggron's success.
- Also note on Aggron's exploitable 4x weaknesses when taking resistances into account.
- Hard counters imply they'll take all of Aggron's moves (such as Gastrodon), so switching up moves won't help. Rephrase to 'bulky Pokemon that resist Rock'.
- Again, note Aggron's matchup against slower teams, which give it more opportunities to throw out its strong attacks.

Team Options
==============
Physical based water types such as Kabutops, Samurott, and Barbaracle appreciate having common switch ins such as Ferroseed, Vileplume and Gourgeist-XL broken by Aggron's high powered Head Smash and other coverage moves. Aggron appreciates pokemon that act as a pivot and can bring it safely in such as Lanturn or Rotom. Rotom in particular handles Aggron's weaknesses very well, being immune to both Fighting and Ground type moves. It also is able to break down Aggron's switch in with Will-O-Wis and Hex.
- You said that "having a strong defensive backbone or reliable pivot key to Aggron's success". I don't see this defensive backbone right now, but I imagine the likes of U-turn Xatu / Mesprit or Baton Pass Musharna probably being along the lines of what you're thinking of.

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Metal Burst
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Head Smash
item: Custap Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Jolly
I really cannot envision this Aggron variant being good enough to warrant its own set. It plays like a less versatile version of lead Archeops, as it doesn't have the Speed to perform well outside of leading and risk getting circumvented by most sleep / Taunt leads. Moreover, Metal Burst won't even work on things like Rhydon and Steelix as you're faster than them, so you'll lose even more momentum turn 1 that way, which is the exact opposite of what this kind of set wants to achieve. I say scrap this set to OO.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============
  • Rock Polish set (done better by Don IMO)
  • Sub Magnet Rise (Klinklang???)
- I have no idea what the '(Klinklang???)' bit means, but I feel that this is the set that can be the second one listed.

name: SubRise + Focus Punch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Magnet Rise
move 3: Head Smash
move 4: Focus Punch
item: Leftovers / Stone Plate

This allows Aggron to mess with certain CB Aggron checks, such as Rhydon, Steelix, and Ferroseed, helping to evade status from the likes of Weezing, Musharna, and Gourgeist-XL, and can capitalize on the foe trying to sac a slower mon to Aggron. Leftovers helps with making more Subs, while Stone Plate gives Head Smash more oomph, allowing Aggron to attain / more reliably attain 2HKOes on Yama, Weezing, Mush, and Gourgeist-XL. With that said, SubRise + Focus Punch's inability to bypass Aggron's hard counters / checks may still delegate it to OO, but it's a lot better than lead Aggron >.>

Checks and Counters
==============

**Poliwrath** Aggron's STAB and coverage moves fail to dish out anything more than pitiful damage.

**Gastrodon** Physically Defensive Gastrodon can handle anything Aggron can throw at it and recover off damage or immediately go for the kill with Earth Power.

**Rock Resists** Pokemon like Steelix and Torterra that resist Head Smash or Heavy Slam can make for good initial switch ins but coverage moves can threaten them out.

**Offensive Pressure** Aggron is slow and is forced out by most faster special attackers and any Pokemon with strong attacks that take advantage of its weaknesses such as Archeops, Pyroar and Samurott.
The bolded section is needless spread out, whereas the highlighted in red section is far too crammed up in one spot.

Thanks for the expansive post I really appreciate it. I'll go through all your points in depth once I get home from work and revamp and clean up more.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the record I agree with Punchshroom about the changes to the CB set but I've yet to see the Sub set around so maybe focus on just the CB set for now and give the Sub set first mention in OO. We can always add it later once it becomes more popular / we reach a conclusion about it.

Also this needs to be in bullet point structure before we QC, we don't want you to have to write everything up in neat each time we do a check lol.

Yeah I originally had Superpower and Ice Punch slashed in but removed the Superpower slash and kept Ice Punch until I was able to get someone to check over this for me.

I'll go with just the band set for now as its obvious that's the main set by and large.

Oh shit about the bullet point thing lmao I just assumed from threads I was looking at here that folks put it in bullet points for their own sake to organize info before writing it up. That would be good for me rn because I have a lot of work ahead of me but I'm eager to do it!

Yeah I implemented what was critiqued by Punch/Erisia, so I think I'm ready for more people to check over this so I can write it up.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If this is ready for QC then change the thread prefix to Quality Control and I'll look it over in more detail in a few days.

Punchshroom

Even after a stat drop Superpower is still very threatening and doesn't provide much if any set up opportunities
Yeah this is not what I meant at all.

Even accounting for the -Atk drop, there aren't much, if any opponents that can set up on the -1 Superpower that don't already take advantage of Low Kick
To that extent, you should make mention of Low Kick, and why Superpower is used over it.

erisia

Innovative new design!
Mention Aurorus as a target for Jolly Aggron; this basically turns the encounter from a 100% loss to a 100% win. Also mention when talking about Stone Plate / Hard Stone (idk what item should be listed here) that the damage difference is noticeable and may result in opponents predicting an incoming coverage move.

In usage tips change "Aggron can switch into very few attacks" to reflect the fact that the main reason Aggron doesn't like switching into things is that its prey usually pack coverage moves that can force it out; Aggron can actually switch into a lot of individual physical attacks. Maybe also emphasise more that even resisted special attacks or weak neutral ones (such as Specs Aurorus Hyper Voice and Specs Swellow Heat Wave) 2HKO, so Aggron isn't a good pivot at all. Mention that Aggron should usually be brought in against defensive Pokemon that it outspeeds or can't threaten it (such as Pelipper going for Defog or Mega Audino) so that you can punish a switch-in with a powerful STAB attack.

In team options you could bring up sweepers and cleaners such as Malamar, SD Shiftry, and Swellow as teammates that really appreciate the holes Aggron can break open. In fact, Grass-types in general like dealing with things like Gastrodon and Poliwrath that Aggron struggles with; Abomasnow and Ludicolo can be good choices to capitalise on Aggron's offensive pressure. Maybe also mention Sticky Webs support from Smeargle as most non-grounded Pokemon get wrecked by Head Smash and this opens up Aggron's speed tier to give it a better matchup vs offensive teams. Thunder Wave support from Mesprit/Lanturn is also nice because any paralyzed offensive mon is basically fodder for Aggron.

In other options you could mention alternate coverage options such as Earthquake (for Garb), Fire Punch, and Thunder Punch. Double Edge could get mention as a neutral attack that hits all of Gastrodon / Poliwrath / Torterra equally hard, but not quite enough to be a good specific choice. Toxic can also be used to cripple them but preferably not on Choice sets. Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks with Rock Head is also a decent option as Aggron forces lots of switches when it comes in and nobody's going to bring in their Xatu lol. You could also emphasise that Aggron only really fears Aqua Jet at low health because its Defense is huge.

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 104-125 (37 - 44.4%)

In checks and counters just change the last point to **Faster Attackers** and explain in the section that both special attackers and physical mons with 4x coverage can both fill this role.

QC 1/3

Last edited:

Punchshroom

You could also emphasise that Aggron only really fears Aqua jet at low health because its Defense is huge.

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aggron: 104-125 (37 - 44.4%)
You forgot about Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, the former being really common due to Hitmonchan's high usage and the latter easily OHKOing from Poliwrath.

Edit: In that case you should've phrased it as "Aggron fears Aqua Jet only at low health"

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
Oh, I meant that Aqua Jet is only feared at low health; Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave are obviously feared all the time. :p

Mention Aurorus as a target for Jolly Aggron; this basically turns the encounter from a 100% loss to a 100% win. Also mention when talking about Stone Plate / Hard Stone (idk what item should be listed here) that the damage difference is noticeable and may result in opponents predicting an incoming coverage move.

In usage tips change "Aggron can switch into very few attacks" to reflect the fact that the main reason Aggron doesn't like switching into things is that its prey usually pack coverage moves that can force it out; Aggron can actually switch into a lot of individual physical attacks. Maybe also emphasise more that even resisted special attacks or weak neutral ones (such as Specs Aurorus Hyper Voice and Specs Swellow Heat Wave) 2HKO, so Aggron isn't a good pivot at all. Mention that Aggron should usually be brought in against defensive Pokemon that it outspeeds or can't threaten it (such as Pelipper going for Defog or Mega Audino) so that you can punish a switch-in with a powerful STAB attack.

In team options you could bring up sweepers and cleaners such as Malamar, SD Shiftry, and Swellow as teammates that really appreciate the holes Aggron can break open. In fact, Grass-types in general like dealing with things like Gastrodon and Poliwrath that Aggron struggles with; Abomasnow and Ludicolo can be good choices to capitalise on Aggron's offensive pressure. Maybe also mention Sticky Webs support from Smeargle as most non-grounded Pokemon get wrecked by Head Smash and this opens up Aggron's speed tier to give it a better matchup vs offensive teams. Thunder Wave support from Mesprit/Lanturn is also nice because any paralyzed offensive mon is basically fodder for Aggron.

In other options you could mention alternate coverage options such as Earthquake (for Garb), Fire Punch, and Thunder Punch. Double Edge could get mention as a neutral attack that hits all of Gastrodon / Poliwrath / Torterra equally hard, but not quite enough to be a good specific choice. Toxic can also be used to cripple them but preferably not on Choice sets. Stealth Rock + 3 Attacks with Rock Head is also a decent option as Aggron forces lots of switches when it comes in and nobody's going to bring in their Xatu lol. Rock Polish should also be changed to Automatize so Aggron takes less Grass Knot / Low Kick damage (not sure if this matters at all but it's objectively better so...). You could also emphasise that Aggron only really fears Aqua jet at low health because its Defense is huge.

In checks and counters just change the last point to **Faster Attackers** and explain in the section that both special attackers and physical mons with 4x coverage can both fill this role.

QC 1/3
Worked in everything underlined

Do you think in team options I should combine the sweepers and cleaners w/ the physical water type section I have? It'd be a large section, but what I mentioned previously does fit under the umbrella of sweepers and cleaners. Same with grass types, should they get their own section like the water types do?

This is smaller, but in the other options when I put in alternate coverage options I'm thinking it should go before the other sets are mentioned? Obviously alternate coverage can be used in the other sets but I feel like it corresponds mostly with the band set (with the exception of Toxic) so as such they would go first as an extension of the band set, then other sets are mentioned.

Poliwrath and Gastrodon are hard counters, taking pitiful damage from every move Aggron has and being able to OHKO Aggron in return with their STAB moves.
That isn't even true. Standard offensive Poliwrath takes over 50% from Head Smash, and even max HP + max defense Poliwrath can take a significant amount of damage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 186-220 (53.9 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 133-157 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- 98.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Standard Poliwrath can simply take one Head Smash and OHKO with Vacuum Wave, and that should be clarified in C&C.

Max HP + Defense Gastrodon avoids the 2HKO after Stealth Rock, but it does not take pitiful damage from Head Smash; taking at least 38% from Head Smash is pretty significant, Gastrodon just has Recover and can avoid the 2HKO at full health if Aggron is not paired with a Spiker (which you should probably mention in team options solely for dealing with Gastro).

You also mention in Checks and Counters that Fire-type Pokemon can hit Aggron super effectively, but Aggron is neutral to Fire-type attacks. It is vulnerable to LO Fire Blasts from Pokemon like Pyroar because it has atrocious special bulk.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Overview:

Aggron flourishes against slower pokemon in general, being one of the pokemon in the tier to threaten Musharna and Mega Audino without losing any offensive merit versus other threats
  • Reword this sentence to emphasise just how big Aggron's wallbreaking ability is. e.g "Aggron flourishes against slower Pokemon, being able to threaten even the sturdiest of defensive walls including Musharna and Mega Audino.
  • Note the significance of Rock Head in aiding Aggron's wallbreaking abilities, as it plays a big part in it's ability to break through slower teams without being severely worn down by recoil.
  • In the fourth point, add in Earthquake, and Close Combat as examples of common coverage moves that Normal-types and such can use to break past Aggron and abuse its 4x weakness.
Set Details:
  • Explain why Rock Head is an important ability for Aggron to be using over Sturdy.
Usage Tips:

Aggron may have useful resistances but due to a low Special Defense stat it doesn't guarantee a safe switch in. This in combination with very exploitable x4 weaknesses make it difficult to get Aggron into a battle
  • Elaborate on the last part of this point "It's difficult to get Aggron into battle safely, therefore it appreciates VoltTurn support from the likes of Lanturn, Rotom, Scyther, Floatzel, and Mr. Mime.
Aggron is able to switch into quite a few physical attacks, but it's usual prey carry coverage moves that can hit it super effectively.
  • Similarly, give examples of physical attackers that can break past Aggron with their coverage moves, e.g Tauros and Kangaskhan's Earthquake and Zangoose's Close Combat.
  • Remove the bit about switching into Pelipper, since you dont really wanna risk coming in on a Scald and getting severely weakened and potentially burned, instead replace it with Musharna, and Miltank.
Team Options:
  • Add in a section for late-game cleaners, such as Floatzel, Swellow, and Scarf Jynx etc, as they all appreciate Aggron's ability to break holes in bulkier teams, and in return can cover it against faster teams.
  • Just like Alfalfa said, with a bit of chip damage from Spikes, Gastrodon and Poliwrath find it somewhat difficult to consistently switch into Aggron, so give it a mention.
  • The Ground-types section needs a lot more detail. Mention that their presence can dissuade Aggron from spamming Head Smash in fear of losing momentum. Also comment that they threaten to OHKO Aggron with their STAB Earthquakes, and can also set up Stealth Rock as Aggron switches out.
Pyroar and Magmortar are also deadly because of their high Special Attack stats and strong super effective effective Fire-type moves.
  • Reword this, Special Attackers such as Pyroar and Magmortar are also deadly because they can decimate Aggron by hitting it on its frail Special Defense stat.
  • Add in a section for Fighting-types. Hitmonchan, Primeape, and Combusken can all revenge kill Aggron, while Hariyama can take a hit and OHKO back, and Poliwrath can both switch in, and revenge Aggron.
Once you've implemented all of this, QC 2/3

That isn't even true. Standard offensive Poliwrath takes over 50% from Head Smash, and even max HP + max defense Poliwrath can take a significant amount of damage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 186-220 (53.9 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Aggron Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 133-157 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- 98.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Standard Poliwrath can simply take one Head Smash and OHKO with Vacuum Wave, and that should be clarified in C&C.

Max HP + Defense Gastrodon avoids the 2HKO after Stealth Rock, but it does not take pitiful damage from Head Smash; taking at least 38% from Head Smash is pretty significant, Gastrodon just has Recover and can avoid the 2HKO at full health if Aggron is not paired with a Spiker (which you should probably mention in team options solely for dealing with Gastro).

You also mention in Checks and Counters that Fire-type Pokemon can hit Aggron super effectively, but Aggron is neutral to Fire-type attacks. It is vulnerable to LO Fire Blasts from Pokemon like Pyroar because it has atrocious special bulk.
I fixed everything you mentioned, totally blanked on the Fire type moves not being Super Effective, my bad. Is it important to specify how many layers of Spikes? I know with one layer+rocks is still shaky if Gastro is full hp, but 2 layers is optimal especially if Gastrodon isn't switching in at 100%

Overview:

• Reword this sentence to emphasise just how big Aggron's wallbreaking ability is. e.g "Aggron flourishes against slower Pokemon, being able to threaten even the sturdiest of defensive walls including Musharna and Mega Audino.
  • Note the significance of Rock Head in aiding Aggron's wallbreaking abilities, as it plays a big part in it's ability to break through slower teams without being severely worn down by recoil.
  • In the fourth point, add in Earthquake, and Close Combat as examples of common coverage moves that Normal-types and such can use to break past Aggron and abuse its 4x weakness.
Set Details:
  • Explain why Rock Head is an important ability for Aggron to be using over Sturdy.
Usage Tips:

• Elaborate on the last part of this point "It's difficult to get Aggron into battle safely, therefore it appreciates VoltTurn support from the likes of Lanturn, Rotom, Scyther, Floatzel, and Mr. Mime.

• Similarly, give examples of physical attackers that can break past Aggron with their coverage moves, e.g Tauros and Kangaskhan's Earthquake and Zangoose's Close Combat.
  • Remove the bit about switching into Pelipper, since you dont really wanna risk coming in on a Scald and getting severely weakened and potentially burned, instead replace it with Musharna, and Miltank.
Team Options:
  • Add in a section for late-game cleaners, such as Floatzel, Swellow, and Scarf Jynx etc, as they all appreciate Aggron's ability to break holes in bulkier teams, and in return can cover it against faster teams.
  • Just like Alfalfa said, with a bit of chip damage from Spikes, Gastrodon and Poliwrath find it somewhat difficult to consistently switch into Aggron, so give it a mention.
  • The Ground-types section needs a lot more detail. Mention that their presence can dissuade Aggron from spamming Head Smash in fear of losing momentum. Also comment that they threaten to OHKO Aggron with their STAB Earthquakes, and can also set up Stealth Rock as Aggron switches out.

• Reword this, Special Attackers such as Pyroar and Magmortar are also deadly because they can decimate Aggron by hitting it on its frail Special Defense stat.
  • Add in a section for Fighting-types. Hitmonchan, Primeape, and Combusken can all revenge kill Aggron, while Hariyama can take a hit and OHKO back, and Poliwrath can both switch in, and revenge Aggron.
Once you've implemented all of this, QC 2/3
Fixed everything you mentioned. In regards to Hariyama, is it accurate to mention it can threaten Aggron back? I rarely see anyone running Max Spe with a neutral nature even though Aggron's been here for almost two months. People are still splitting it pretty heavily amongst Def/SpD/Spe from what I've noticed.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
What I meant about Hariyama taking a hit, is that it cant switch in, but it can come in safely on a free switch, and tank any given hit. You're right in saying that most arent running Max Spe so you definitely cant just straight out switch into it because 9/10 times Hariyama will go down.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Aggron wields power that is often overwhelming due to Head Smash and its high Attack stat. This offensive presence is what allows it to threaten two of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, Musharna and Mega Audino without losing any offensive merit versus other slow threats. The ability Rock Head allows Aggron to repeatedly use Head Smash against slower targets without suffering recoil damage which allows it to flourish against slow teams, often picking up multiple KOs. However, Aggron has a weak match up versus offense due to its low speed and typing, leaving it weak to common Fighting and Ground type moves which are commonly carried as extra coverage by Normal type Pokemon which is one of its resists. A low Special Defense stat keeps Aggron from using its typing resists effectively. mention which types that low spdef hinders it against Aggron occupies the Rock and Steel slot on a team while not effectively checking Normal or Flying types.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==============

Head Smash is what will be used in most circumstances, even 2HKO'ing Rock type resists such as Hariyama and Golurk. Only a couple of Pokemon can reliably switch into Head Smash, but even they take substantial amounts of damage. Heavy Slam is Aggron's other STAB move which allows it to easily beat Mega Audino and Rhydon, hitting both for super effective damage. Its use extends beyond that, there may be situations where its power is enough, but you can't risk missing Head Smash. Superpower in combination with an Adamant nature and Choice Band allows you to 2HKO Steelix and Ferroseed. Superpower is the Fighting type move of choice because Low Kick offers either equal or less damage depending on the target, but it does offer a more reliable 2HKO on Steelix and does not leave you at -2 Attack and Defense. Ice Punch is primarily used for Torterra which is able to switch into Head Smash with ease and threaten the KO with Earthquake. Ice Punch requires Stealth Rock to OHKO defensive Torterra sets.

Set Details
==============

Rock Head allows you to use Head Smash recoil free, so it's the recommended ability. Sturdy is not used because the damage you do with Head Smash will quickly wear you down if not KO you out right after any passive damage. don't mention sturdy, there's obviously no reason to use it on this set Using max Attack, Speed, a Choice Band and an Adamant nature allow you to be as threatening as possible. Jolly can be considered to ensure you out speed Aurorus, Hariyama and Piloswine which sit in the same or similar speed tiers, but the power from Adamant is often more sought after. Stone Plate is an option over Choice Band to bait Head Smash switch ins but the damage drop is noticeable.

Usage Tips
==============

Aggron can have trouble switching into offensive threats and dealing with fast teams in general due to its weaknesses being common coverage moves. In terms of offensive Pokemon you can switch into, Scyther and Swellow present opportunities as Scyther's STABs do pitiful damage and Swellow can only hurt you with Heat Wave. Look towards using Head Smash the most against offensive teams as their Pokemon are frail for the most part and won't be able to take the hit. Despite your bad match up versus fast teams, Aggron has little trouble with slower ones, being able to come in on passive Pokemon such as Miltank and Musharna. Being wary of Rock resists is important as using Head Smash and being forced out will sap momentum, so be ready to opt for your coverage moves.

Team Options
==============

Late game cleaners and physical Water-types such as Kabutops, Samurott and Barbacle especially appreciate having bulky walls and common checks being broken by Aggron, while faster Pokemon can pick up the slack where Aggron lacks. A reliable pivot such as Baton Pass Musharna, defensive Xatu and Rotom greatly aids Aggron into getting into the battle safely and all are good switch ins to Pokemon that use the Fighting and Ground type moves which easily beat Aggron. Since Aggron is so slow, Sticky Webs from Smeargle or Thunder Wave from Mesprit or Lanturn can easily turn faster offensive threats into sitting targets for Head Smash. Entry hazard support is key as can dissuade Aggron's usual switch ins from repeatedly taking hits. Stealth Rock secures the 2HKO on Defensive Poliwrath, while Spikes ensures Gastrodon can be 2HKO'd

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============

Aggron has plenty of alternate moves which allow you to hit more specific targets, but the given move set provides the most coverage. Earthquake allows for free damage on Garbodor, while Double Edge does okay damage Gastrodon, Poliwrath and Torterra but is too weak to use regularly. Toxic can can be used to cripple the previously mentioned checks, but using it on a choice set is not recommended as your opponent can play around it once you're locked in. A Substitute Magnet Rise set can be effective in circumventing certain checks to the wall breaking set and allowing you to avoid being burned. Aggron gets Stealth Rocks so a lead set is possible as you're able to force switches due to Aggron's offensive prowess while also not having to worry about Xatu switching in due to it being KO'd by the potential Head Smash. Rock Polish allows you to sweep late game as you out speed everything except Ninjask when you use a Jolly nature and have a Speed boost. You don't hit nearly as hard without your Choice Band and you're also vulnerable to Fighting type priority moves such as Hitmonchan's Mach Punch and Poliwrath's Vacuum Wave, however Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet are much less threatening while you're healthy.

add sleep talk here, it allows you to switch into vivillon's sleep powder and jynx's lovely kiss if it's not running focus blast

Checks and Counters
==============

**Water-Types** Poliwrath and Gastrodon are as close to counters as it gets, taking reasonable damage from every move Aggron has and being able to OHKO Aggron in return with their STAB moves, priority Vacuum Wave and Earth Power respectively. There are also offensive Water-types such as special Samurott and Floatzel which can out speed and OHKO Aggron before it can attack

**Ground-Types** Torterra and Steelix are both able to effectively switch into Head Smash but have trouble with Ice Punch and Superpower respectively. Their presence prevents Aggron from mindlessly spamming Head Smash, and upon switching in threaten to OHKO Aggron with their STAB Earthquake, or set up Stealth Rock as it switches out

**Fighting-Types** Combusken, Hitmonchan and Primeape are all able to out speed and OHKO Aggron with their x4 effective STAB moves, while Hariyama is able to take a hit and threaten back with Close Combat

**Faster Attackers** Aggron's typing weaknesses are easily exploited by both Physical and Special based attackers. Pokemon that have access to moves that can take advantage of Aggron's x4 weakness to Ground and Fighting like Tauros, Jynx and Archeops easily out speed and OHKO Aggron. Pyroar and Magmortar are also deadly because of their high Special Attack stats, despite taking Fire type attacks neutrally Aggron's Special Defense is pitiful
QC 3/3

Sobi

Banned deucer.
hi

amcheck

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Aggron wields power that is often overwhelming due to Head Smash and its high Attack stat. This offensive presence is what allows it to threaten two of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier, Musharna and Mega Audino, (AC) without losing any offensive merit versus other slow threats. The ability Rock Head allows Aggron to repeatedly use Head Smash against slower targets without suffering recoil damage, (AC) which allows it to flourish against slow teams, often picking up multiple KOs. However, Aggron has a weak matchup (one word) versus offense due to its low Speed and typing, leaving it weak to common Fighting- and Ground-type moves, (AC) which are commonly carried as extra coverage by Normal-type Pokemon which is one of its resists , whose STAB moves it resists (uh i think?). A low Special Defense stat keeps Aggron from using its typing resists resistances effectively; (ASC) this is especially noticeable against Ice-types and Normal-types, (AC) as they can muscle past Aggron or have appropriate coverage to hit it hard. Aggron. Aggron also occupies the Rock- (AH) and Steel-type (AH) slot on a team while not effectively checking Normal- or Flying-types.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
==============

Head Smash is what will be used in most circumstances, even 2HKO'ing Rock type resists 2HKOes Rock-resistant Pokemon such as Hariyama and Golurk. Only a couple of Pokemon can reliably switch into Head Smash, but even they take a substantial amounts amount of damage. damage from it. Heavy Slam is Aggron's other STAB move which allows it to easily beat Mega Audino and Rhydon, hitting both for super effective damage. Its use extends beyond that, though, as there may might be situations where its power is enough, but you can't risk missing Head Smash. Superpower in combination with an Adamant nature and Choice Band allows you Aggron to 2HKO Steelix and Ferroseed. Superpower is the Fighting-type move of choice because Low Kick offers either equal or less damage depending on the target, but it does offer a more reliable 2HKO on Steelix and does not leave you Aggron at -2 Attack and Defense. Ice Punch is primarily used for Torterra, (AC) which is able to switch into Head Smash with ease and threaten the KO with Earthquake. (RP) , though (AC) Ice Punch requires Stealth Rock to OHKO defensive Torterra sets.

Set Details
==============

Rock Head allows you to use Head Smash without the worry of recoil free, so it's the recommended ability. Using Maximum Attack, (RC) and Speed EVs, a Choice Band, (AC) and an Adamant nature allow you Aggron to be as threatening as possible. A Jolly nature can be considered to ensure you Aggron outspeeds Aurorus, Hariyama, (AC) and Piloswine, (AC) all of which sit in the same or similar Speed tiers, but the power from an Adamant nature is often more sought after. Stone Plate is an option over Choice Band to bait Head Smash switch-ins, (AC) but the damage drop is noticeable.

Usage Tips
==============

Aggron can have trouble switching into offensive threats and dealing with fast teams in general due to its weaknesses being common coverage moves. In terms of offensive Pokemon you Aggron can switch into, Scyther and Swellow present opportunities, (AC) as Scyther's STAB moves (STABs -> STAB moves) do pitiful damage, (AC) and Swellow can only hurt you Aggron with Heat Wave. Look towards using Head Smash the most against offensive teams, (AC) as their Pokemon are frail for the most part and won't be able to take the hit. Despite your Aggron's bad matchup versus fast teams, Aggron has little trouble with slower ones,F ones, being able to come in on passive Pokemon such as Miltank and Musharna. Being wary of Rock-resistant Pokemon resists is important, (AC) as using Head Smash and being forced out will sap momentum, so be ready to opt for your coverage moves.

Team Options
==============

Late-game cleaners and physical Water-types such as Kabutops, Samurott, (AC) and Barbacle Barbaracle especially appreciate having bulky walls and common checks being broken by Aggron, while faster Pokemon can pick up the slack where Aggron lacks. (Comment: lol what) A reliable pivot such as Baton Pass Musharna, defensive Xatu, (AC) and or Rotom greatly aids Aggron into by getting it into the battle safely safely, (AC) and all of the aforementioned Pokemon are good switch-ins to Pokemon that use the Fighting- (AH) and Ground-type (AH) moves which that easily beat Aggron. Since Aggron is so slow, Sticky Webs Web from Smeargle or Thunder Wave from Mesprit or Lanturn can easily turn faster offensive threats into sitting targets for Head Smash. Entry hazard support is key, (AC) as hazards can dissuade Aggron's usual switch-ins (AH) from repeatedly taking hits. Stealth Rock secures the 2HKO on defensive Poliwrath, while Spikes ensures Gastrodon can be 2HKO'd 2HKOed. (AP)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
==============

Aggron has plenty of alternate alternative moves which that allow you to hit more specific targets, but the given moveset provides the most coverage. Earthquake allows for free damage on Garbodor, while Double-Edge (AH) does okay decent damage to Gastrodon, Poliwrath, (AC) and Torterra but is too weak to use regularly. Toxic can can be used to cripple the previously mentioned checks, but using it on a Choice set is not recommended, (AC) as your opponent can play around it once you're Aggron is locked into it. A Substitute and Magnet Rise set can be effective in circumventing certain checks to the wallbreaking set and allowing you Aggron to avoid being burned. Aggron gets Stealth Rock, (AC) so a lead set is possible, (AC) as you're able to force switches due to Aggron's offensive prowess while also not having to worry about Xatu switching in due to it being KOed by the potential Head Smash. Rock Polish allows you Aggron to sweep late-game, (AC) as you out speed everything Aggron outspeeds everything except Ninjask when you use give it a Jolly nature and have a Speed boost. You don't Aggron doesn't hit nearly as hard without your Choice Band, (AC) and you're also vulnerable to Fighting-type priority moves such as Hitmonchan's Mach Punch and Poliwrath's Vacuum Wave; (ASC) however, (AC) Sucker Punch and Aqua Jet are much less threatening while you're healthy. Sleep Talk is a viable move to run, (AC) as two very common threats in the form of Vivillion Vivillon and Jynx run sleep-inducing moves it, although you have to be wary of Jynx possibly carrying Focus Blast.

Checks and Counters
==============

**Water-types**: (colon added for this and the below ones too) Poliwrath and Gastrodon are as close to counters as it gets, taking reasonable damage from every move Aggron has and being able to OHKO Aggron in return with their STAB moves, STAB priority Vacuum Wave and Earth Power, (AC) respectively. There are also offensive Water-types such as special Samurott and Floatzel, (AC) which can outspeed and OHKO Aggron before it can attack. (AP)

**Ground-types**: Torterra and Steelix are both able to effectively switch into Head Smash but have trouble with Ice Punch and Superpower, (AC) respectively. Their presence prevents Aggron from mindlessly spamming Head Smash, and upon switching in, (AC) they threaten to OHKO Aggron with their STAB Earthquake, (RC) or set up Stealth Rock as it switches out. (AP)

**Fighting-types**: Combusken, Hitmonchan, (AC) and Primeape are all able to outspeed and OHKO Aggron with their 4x super effective STAB moves, while Hariyama is able to take a hit and threaten back with Close Combat. (AP)

**Faster Attackers**: Aggron's typing weaknesses are easily exploited by both physical and special based attackers. Pokemon that have access to moves that can take advantage of Aggron's x4 4x weakness to Ground and Fighting like Tauros, Jynx, (AC) and Archeops easily outspeed and OHKO Aggron. Pyroar and Magmortar are also deadly because of their high Special Attack stats, and despite taking Fire-type attacks neutrally, (AC) Aggron's Special Defense is pitiful. (AP)
sorry for any formatting errors if there are any. remember that your/you = the battler/reader!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)