2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The diving I saw from France in the 40 mins I was able to watch, particularly from Payet was pretty embarrassing, more so because it was effective at drawing calls during moments of German pressure. The two that stick in my mind was a French defender going down in his own box while behind the German striker on minimal upper body contact, and Payet going down as if he were injured to get a stoppage after taking a ball to the face. That doesn't fly in youth house league barring a broken nose. Was a shame to see those events disrupt play especially when the ref was really good at letting false falls play on without a call and the quality of the German attack and French counterattack at gaining chances was as a strong as it was. Was a great game to watch from a tactical standpoint, I was supporting Germany and so more focused on their movements, and the way they were able to consistently move up the field and set up their attack to the wing after having drawn away the French defenders was masterful.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Volland also had a shit season before Nagelsmann took over Hoffenheim. Werner and Selke are too young, but could be options for the future. Kruse is a good striker despite not being a poacher, but he also played a horrible season and got kicked out of the Nationalteam anyways. Leaves Gomez and Müller, one of them was injured and the other one totally out of shape.
The only viable option could have been starting Schürrle as 9, even if he gets s lot of shit from public and media, he played very well recently.

I said this before but lack of strikers is ironically because of the quality of youth development nowadays. The quality of the pitches in the all the academies in Europe are all perfect so all the youth players are great at passing - they only produce midfielders now. This is why all the top strikers are from South America now.

What happened to a young striker called Voland? Had some hype last year but seems to have completely disappeared.
Volland is still very good in my opinion and I would've prefered him in our team over people like Poldi or Weigl (I know they don't play on the same position but why the fuck would you bring 6 central midfielders to a tourney???)). He didn't have such a great season but I think that his teammates and the coach had some impact there too. Last year he had Firmino as partner and the two just had a great synergy together and both showed that they can play amazing football. After Nagelsmann took over Hoffenheim they started to get better in the offense and Volland also improved a lot and still got on 18 Scorers at the end of the season. I think he can play a very good role in Leverkusen if he gets integrated into the team well. Definetely someone to have an eye on.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Losing Ronaldo was a big blow for us both tactically and psychologically but the players responded to it in the best possible way! What a great finish from Eder!

Portugal are deserving winners, they took a risk by subbing in Eder and having 3 strikers for the extra time and it paid off.

France played a 0 risk approach in both semifinal and final, always happy to see that punished.
Yeah, no idea why France was so conservative. Portugal won 1 game out of 7 in 90 mins though.

Lol say all you want. Portugal lost its main star, endured almost the entire game and then dominated the extra time. France had one player, Sissoko, trying to win. We had several giving their best and playing really well.

And lol, the most despised player in Portugal is now a hero xD Ronaldo told him he'd score and the guy gave us the title. What a moment!

Such a boring and terrible tournament. Can't wait for the style of the game to shift back to a more offensively based game instead of this hunker down and maybe get a goal on the counter. This trend started in 2004 with Fc Porto and Greece and Portugal are the latest to take advantage of it although Germany and Spain as well as Argentina looked promising to destroy that kind of play

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Such a boring and terrible tournament. Can't wait for the style of the game to shift back to a more offensively based game instead of this hunker down and maybe get a goal on the counter. This trend started in 2004 with Fc Porto and Greece and Portugal are the latest to take advantage of it although Germany and Spain as well as Argentina looked promising to destroy that kind of play
Football's ruleset needs some huge changes if we want games to be entertaining again. The current rules just promote defensive play and cynical fouling, and this is not something that will change. The more tactics improve, the better teams become at stopping offensive moves with fouls that aren't punished properly (the yellow card system is a joke) as well as good defensive positioning and strategies. We have reached the time when we have to admit that football rules were made almost a century ago and that the game has evolved A LOT since then, all sports have had to evolve and football hasn't, and that's making the game progressively more boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)