Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Their Facebook post works

CoroCoro has leaked and has revealed two brand new Pokemon. The bear is Normal/Fighting while the ghost is Ghost/Fairy. What are your thoughts? Details @ http://www.serebii.net/
BEAR!!

Finally, something new to add to an all bear team. Can we please get another 2?

If Pokémon-Amie is still a thing, I'm going to waste so many hours…

I'm actually loving the bear. I don't get why people are so up in arms about a simplistic design. Not every Pokemon needs to have a complex design, some of the best Pokemon have very simplistic designs. I didn't like the look of the Ghost/Fairy at first but looking at it closer and from what I can see of its actual body, I'm feeling quite good about it.
I think the big problem (for me) is the limit between the two colors, if the line was not so regular (if it had some "spikes" like Pangoro's belly for example : http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/0/08/675Pangoro.png/250px-675Pangoro.png ) it would be much better, here it looks like a mascot costume where the big head can be detached from the body.

We basically got two polar opposite pokemon... and they're both adorable.. I'm okay with that.
I kinda want the bear to evolve into a giant cuddly teddy bear of death. and then I'll be fully satisfied.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually like the bear because I think the idea of a killer mascot bear (no not the 5 nights at freddies kind) is pretty funny!

Also that Pikaboo thing is freaking adorable, and I love its backstory about how it wants to be as loved as Pikachu. Also helps tat Ghost / Fairy is a great typing. I'm a bit worried that its stats are gonna blow in lieu of being some sort of gimmick Pokemon, so hopefully this Disguise ability is incredible!

With that thing about using a Pikachu disguise because it just wants to be loved, I guess we can drop the chance of it using other Pokemon as disguises.

So what could Disguise do, then? Look like it's a Pikachu until you hit it?

In all honesty, Mimichu is the first Pokemon this entire gen that has made me really want to get the new games. It's soooo cuuuute

Now watch as it has bad stats and is completely unusable in battle :(

So what could Disguise do, then? Look like it's a Pikachu until you hit it?
I hope not. If I have to worry about accidentally KO'ing one of these when on a Pikachu killing spree, I will be sad.

Then again, I would absolutely love if they appeared in the same area as Pikachu, like how Sudowoodo appears with Trevenant in Horde battles.

I actually like the bear because I think the idea of a killer mascot bear (no not the 5 nights at freddies kind) is pretty funny!

Also that Pikaboo thing is freaking adorable, and I love its backstory about how it wants to be as loved as Pikachu. Also helps tat Ghost / Fairy is a great typing. I'm a bit worried that its stats are gonna blow in lieu of being some sort of gimmick Pokemon, so hopefully this Disguise ability is incredible!
Deadly mascot bear is not an uncommon thing, though. I was hoping otherwise, but Game Freak follows those like Teddie or Monokuma (but at least they have some expressions). And I suddenly have a fear that Mimikkyu will really be just another gimmick people will want to evolve like Dunsparce or something. I'm just hoping that's just some additional comments from CoroCoro editor and not what Game Freak will canonise.....

This whole generation has felt like one long deviantart fever dream, sometimes for better and I think today for worse.

I want this bear to have a deep hawiian legend behind it or I feel like it's breaking some kind of rule. It's so... disjointed, and in-congruent with itself and pokemon as a whole.

I suppose we are just to expect new pokemon to break the boundaries of what have seen before once in a while, but this bear thing is rather jarring.

Wailmer's like, 6 ft tall. I could see this being huge in size but not in stats, then it will evolve into something ridiculously big. The look just really feels like a pre-evolution.

But honestly it's most likely the final evolution. And also terrible.
It looked like that for me, too, until I saw how tall it was. For me it looks like it'll have Big HP/Attack, average defenses and terrible Speed/SpA.

I don't see it evolving myself, but the other bear Pokemon we got all evolved, so it can go either way, I guess.

I'm actually loving the bear. I don't get why people are so up in arms about a simplistic design. Not every Pokemon needs to have a complex design, some of the best Pokemon have very simplistic designs. I didn't like the look of the Ghost/Fairy at first but looking at it closer and from what I can see of its actual body, I'm feeling quite good about it.
I don't think anyone really thinks that the hug bear looks bad 'cause it's "too simple". It looks bad 'cause it looks uninspired, and that's an extremely different concept. Simplistic and complex design can be equally good, while uninspired and overdesigned ones can be equally bad. My favorite 7th gen mons until now are Rowlett and Salandit, both pretty simple design-wise, but highly distinctive , this hug bear is really too generic, its design is simple but lack harmony, looks like a random fake 'mon imho.

The bear looks awful. It looks like a fan-made pokemon fusion from pokemon that don't blend well together. The way the different colors are divided makes it look like it got body parts from different pokemon. It really shows that having a more complicated design was never the underlying problem when it came to terrible designs. A more complex design is more prone to looking like a cluttered mess but this bear shows that simple designs can have the same issue.

I'm still warming up to the bear but I think its design isn't all that bad. I wasn't a big fan of it coming in, but it could look better in 3D imo.

Pikaboo is definitely adorable though. I'm already considering putting one on my team, just for that typing. Depends on what Disguise does, but I'm fairly confident either way it won't get an evolution

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a feeling Mimikyuu is going to be a reverse Cherrim of sorts. That sounds crazy, I know, but I'm basing this on two things.

1. Mimikyuu's using a Pikachu cloth to hide its true form, while Cherrim has its pedals hiding its true form.

2. Mimikyuu hates sunlight and prefers dark places. Cherrim likes sunlight and is the only thing that will make it opens its pedals. Going off of this, Mimikyuu might lack its disguise in its natural environment.

I didn't make this a third point because we know nothing about it, but perhaps Mimikyuu's ability Disguise could possibly be like Flower Veil for Cherrim; it could be an ability that effects how it fights during the day or when the weather's sunny, be it positively or negatively.

Alternatively, Mimikyuu's design could possibly change like how Furfrou can change its appearance. For example, maybe you can buy different types of cloths, such as a Riolu or Pichu cloth, to give it a look you like, just like with Furfrou and its fur.

What do you guys think?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, these are some... interesting designs.

Kiteruguma:
Or what I'm sure the internet is going to call it, Pedobear. Heck, the description we get for it sort of fits, people fear it and it gives killer hugs. :P
Jokes aside, this is a design that's going to take some getting used to. Honestly had Serebii and Bulbapedia not report this I would be calling these guys fakes. Even for more simplistic Pokemon designs these are far out there. Now I guess Kiteruguma is suppose to be a teddy bear (though it has cat(?) ears and a racoon-like tail; is it suppose to be a tanuki-like thing?) and the idea that its suppose to look adorable but that's to deceive those to come close so it could hug break them. But... I just don't get it. It looks like a guy in a mascot outfit. And why Normal/Fighting-type? Or specifically, the part Fighting-type? Yeah, killer hugs, but how's that anything different from say Snorlax or other physically strong Normal-types?
Looking at the positive (aka away from its design; seriously I need to know what the design concept around this guy is), Normal/Fighting is a neat offense STAB combination (walled by Ghost-type, what makes Mega Lopunny good is that it gets Scrappy to work around). I'm sure it'll get other type moves to get around that (probably a few Dark-types) so I guess no big deal (would also help with its Psychic weakness).
Klutz (gee, a Pokemon that looks like a guy in a mascot costume can't move that well, you don't say) has never been that great aside from some Trick/Switcheroo sets, and I don't see this Pokemon getting one of those moves. Fluffy is probably going to be its Ability you want, it already sounds like something defensive maybe on a similar level of Fur Coat. We'll have to see.

Mimikkyu:
So our first Ghost/Fairy-type (though I still argue that should have been the Misdreavus family, they're based on a ghostly fey), and in a short time it has grown on me. At first I also wasn't sure about the design until I looked closer and read the description. This here shows how a description can help with the design:

"Why does this thing look like a child's attempt to draw Pikachu?" Oh, well because that's no the actual Pokemon. The actual Pokemon, or at least its eyes, are the dots on the lower half and its wearing a cloth because it doesn't like the sun.
"Okay, but why does it look like Pikachu?" Because it apparently wants to be loved just as much as Pikachu is and the cloth is made from a Pikachu plush that was popular 20 years ago (for that extra punch in the gut).

Excuse me, I got to find my Pikachu plush I was bought when I was a kid and give it a hug...

Of course it is still a Ghost-type (and Fairy-type if you go by old fey lore) so will afflict you with an illness if you remove its cloak (oddly its Ability doesn't sound like it has anything to do with that, but we'll discuss that in a bit. However I'm guessing it gets a nice bit of support moves including afflictions). Also the second image of it attacking helps show it's more than what it appears to be.
Ghost/Fairy type are one of those types people have been wanting to see. Good both offensively AND defensively, though like with the good Abilities we've seen so far I just hope Mimikkyu is up to the task of showing off what that type combination can do (or it at least evolves and its evo keeps that type). Its Ability is also an interesting point, a new one called "Disguise". Now from name alone you'd think an Illusion clone but I don't think that's the case here due to how unique Illusion is. Obviously it'll have to do something with being deceptive, but what we'll just have to see.

That's not quite how Fur Coat works. Fur Coat decreases damage taken from moves that make physical contact. So Earthquake isn't decreased even though it is a physical move but Grass Knot is decreased even though it's a special move.
It has nothing to do with contact, it halves the damage of moves targeting the defence stat (mostly physicals) period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)