Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this is for the best or not, given who her opponent is. But what I do know is that this narrative of "move the left more to the left" is sure as hell not what was advertised or what I signed up for.

Nor did I ever think Hillary would end up doing anything just because it was an idea she stole to leech off of Sanders.

lol @ all the people in this thread who were like "Bernie and Hilllary are completely different"

I thought bernie would give a begrudging "i don't wanna do this but i have to" endorsement but damn he went balls deep. bernie's not pure enough for his own fans

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bernie supporters in ruins.

Man, he's so anti-establishment.
Compared to the guy who openly talks about his history of buying politicians?

@people bitching about endorsement--
In the large scale of politics, Bernie did not espouse positions that were too liberal. His ideas were, but his proposals were objectives that are decidedly moderately liberal on a global scale, and palatible in a US context. That is partly why he could get many independents and young moderate liberals such as myself to choose him over Clinton.

That said, at the start of the campaign it was a common understanding--even one acknowledged by both candidates--that both held similar positions on the majority of issues; with the campaign necessarily blowing up the smaller issues.

Bernie knows this. He knows what he did and is doing to bring those issues to debate was and is invaluable for forcing discussion, forcing people to the table, and getting people to revision the countries future-- and that has undoubtedly happened. But again, Bernie knows that he shares stances on the majority of issues with Clinton--has from the beginning, and she has in fact agreed to match him and come to match him on an assortment of others.

Bernie knows that at the heart of it, Hillary is more than qualified as a candidate, has correct views on the majority of issues, and is far better for the country's future from his vision than Trump (or Johnson).

He has very effectively stroke just the perfect nuanced cord-- the cord to unite behind Hillary, but to not forget our discussion-- our anger, our vigilance, our need to see real changes; to keep the political movement (revolution) alive so it can continue to hold Clinton and all other democrats accountable to the very same voters that have forced them to capitulate on the platform now.

Keeping that anger, that voice, is integral to keeping Hillary on the left going into the general. It's needed to reform the Democratic Party, and to win back the legislative branch. For the country to improve, Republican influence at all levels must diminish.

The reality (in numbers) though is that Sanders supporters are lining up behind Clinton faster than hers did behind Obama in 2008, even before the endorsement. Sanders supporters believe in issues, in protecting minorities, in progress. On the other side is a flip-flipper, bigot with an agenda riding on the voters who hate progress. For the Sanders voter, there was nothing in Trump to begin with.

So Bernie has struck the perfect cord-- to massively stack the deck against Trump, while also holding Hillary accountable to the people.

From start to finish, amongst all the drama, I think Bernie has been a remarkable hero for the American people. I felt the Bern then, and feel it just as strong now.

#feelthebern!!

Last edited:

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Compared to the guy who openly talks about his history of buying politicians?

@people bitching about endorsement--
In the large scale of politics, Bernie did not espouse positions that were too liberal. His ideas were, but his proposals were objectives that are decidedly moderately liberal on a global scale, and palatible in a US context. That is partly why he could get many independents and young liberal moderates such as myself to choose him over Clinton.

That said, at the start of the campaign it was a common understanding--even one acknowledged by both candidates--that both held similar positions on the majority of issues; with the campaign necessarily blowing up the smaller issues.

Bernie knows this. He knows what he did and is doing to bring those issues to debate was and is invaluable for forcing discussion, forcing people to the table, and getting people to revision the countries future-- and that has undoubtedly happened. But again, Bernie knows that he shares stances on the majority of issues with Clinton--has from the beginning, and she has in fact agreed to match him and come to match him on an assortment of others.

Bernie knows that at the heart of it, Hillary is more than qualified as a candidate, has correct views on the majority of issues, and is far better for the country's future from his vision than Trump (or Johnson).

He has very effectively stroke just the perfect nuanced cord-- the cord to unite behind Hillary, but to not forget our discussion-- our anger, our vigilance, our need to see real changes; to keep the political movement (revolution) alive so it can continue to hold Clinton and all other democrats accountable to the very same voters that have forced them to capitulate on the platform now.

Keeping that anger, that voice, is integral to keeping Hillary on the left going into the general. It's needed to reform the Democratic Party, and to win back the legislative branch. For the country to improve, Republican influence at all levels must diminish.

The reality (in numbers) though is that Sanders supporters are lining up behind Clinton faster than hers did behind Obama in 2008, even before the endorsement. Sanders supporters believe in issues, in protecting minorities, in progress. On the other side is a flip-flipper, bigot with an agenda riding on the voters who hate progress. For the Sanders voter, there was nothing in Trump to begin with.

So Bernie has struck the perfect cord-- to massively stack the deck against Trump, while also holding Hillary accountable to the people.

From start to finish, amongst all the drama, I think Bernie has been a remarkable hero for the American people. I felt the Bern then, and feel it just as strong now.

#feelthebern!!
I am not trying to start a fight, but even if you claim to be a Sanders supporter, your post definitely comes off as a bit patronizing to many other Sanders supporters. It sounds like you are basically stating "well, Bernie fought well and hard, but now that he is out we have to get behind Hillary because Trump would be horrible! Don't worry, she's just like Bernie on many important issues!" Here's the thing, Bernie probably had the most diverse supporters in terms of their political views. Some include libertarians who are drawn to his positions on privacy, foreign policy, and the war on drugs. You seem to view Sanders as merely a more liberal candidate than Clinton and prefer some of his domestic policies (ie, full single payer vs the ACA). It's understandable that such supporters will unquestionably prefer Clinton with him out. That's fine and all, but please don't project your preferences onto others. The other key group of Sanders supporters you seem to be ignoring are among those who prioritize the issues of fixing our corrupt political system. The pertinent issues for this group of people include increasing voter participation and keeping money out of politics. On these issues, Clinton has a terrible record which makes it difficult for some Sanders supporters to even consider voting for her. Many of us consider her to be the poster child of these particular issues. Although she claims to not be a "natural politician", her flagrant flip flopping and refusal to adapt some positions that should be no-brainers for liberals at this point (single payer health-care and revenue neutral carbon tax) are undoubtedly influenced by her wealthy campaign contributors and lobbyists. She's as typical of a politician as you can get. Nobody with a brain expects her to legitimately move further to the left once she takes office. It's just a fantasy that many of us will have to reconcile with in order to dissuade ourselves from considering Trump.

And I am not sure where you are getting your statistic of Sanders supporters rapidly flocking to Clinton, last I checked the polls have stated only 55% would vote for her with certainty. The only good thing about these numbers is that Trump will also have as difficult of a time unifying his party.

So anyway, you have greatly missed the point of the "political revolution" Sanders speaks of. While the ultimate goal of such is some sane "progressive policies" (really just doing things nearly every other industrialized country has long already done), the key requirement to achieve such policies is to remove the corrupting influence of money in politics, which can only realistically be achieved by drastically improving voter turnout in our elections. That is the true form of the political revolution as proposed by Bernie Sanders, and not something anyone could ever expect Clintont to truly support. You argue that they are similar in their positions of the majority of "issues". On social issues, yes. That's true of virtually all Democrats. True progressives are not impressed by this when their positions on the honestly far more important domestic issues which our country has been stagnant on are crucially different.

At the end of the day, I would much prefer a Clinton presidency over a Trump one since he is a raging climate denier who would kill our science budget. We are mostly voting for the lesser of two evils here as we typically do so let's stop kidding ourselves. At this point Sanders supporters are better off focusing on their local and congressional elections and make sure to vote for other candidates who are supportive of the revolution (like Zephyr Teachout). As far as I am concerned, the general election is over beyond reading some amusing tweets or seeing Clinton getting caught in some scandal I have never heard of. Forgive me for being cynical, but at this point it's hard not to lose faith in your fellow Americans for throwing away a rare chance to deal a crushing blow to establishment politics. The best I can hope for is that the progressive movement continues behind the scenes during a Clinton presidency which eventually overthrows her once she fails to fix any significant problems facing Americans beyond preventing a Trump presidency.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am not trying to start a fight, but even if you claim to be a Sanders supporter, your post definitely comes off as a bit patronizing to many other Sanders supporters. It sounds like you are basically stating "well, Bernie fought well and hard, but now that he is out we have to get behind Hillary because Trump would be horrible! Don't worry, she's just like Bernie on many important issues!" Here's the thing, Bernie probably had the most diverse supporters in terms of their political views. Some include libertarians who are drawn to his positions on privacy, foreign policy, and the war on drugs. You seem to view Sanders as merely a more liberal candidate than Clinton and prefer some of his domestic policies (ie, full single payer vs the ACA). It's understandable that such supporters will unquestionably prefer Clinton with him out. That's fine and all, but please don't project your preferences onto others. The other key group of Sanders supporters you seem to be ignoring are among those who prioritize the issues of fixing our corrupt political system. The pertinent issues for this group of people include increasing voter participation and keeping money out of politics. On these issues, Clinton has a terrible record which makes it difficult for some Sanders supporters to even consider voting for her. Many of us consider her to be the poster child of these particular issues. Although she claims to not be a "natural politician", her flagrant flip flopping and refusal to adapt some positions that should be no-brainers for liberals at this point (single payer health-care and revenue neutral carbon tax) are undoubtedly influenced by her wealthy campaign contributors and lobbyists. She's as typical of a politician as you can get. Nobody with a brain expects her to legitimately move further to the left once she takes office. It's just a fantasy that many of us will have to reconcile with in order to dissuade ourselves from considering Trump.

And I am not sure where you are getting your statistic of Sanders supporters rapidly flocking to Clinton, last I checked the polls have stated only 55% would vote for her with certainty. The only good thing about these numbers is that Trump will also have as difficult of a time unifying his party.

So anyway, you have greatly missed the point of the "political revolution" Sanders speaks of. While the ultimate goal of such is some sane "progressive policies" (really just doing things nearly every other industrialized country has long already done), the key requirement to achieve such policies is to remove the corrupting influence of money in politics, which can only realistically be achieved by drastically improving voter turnout in our elections. That is the true form of the political revolution as proposed by Bernie Sanders, and not something anyone could ever expect Clintont to truly support. You argue that they are similar in their positions of the majority of "issues". On social issues, yes. That's true of virtually all Democrats. True progressives are not impressed by this when their positions on the honestly far more important domestic issues which our country has been stagnant on are crucially different.

At the end of the day, I would much prefer a Clinton presidency over a Trump one since he is a raging climate denier who would kill our science budget. We are mostly voting for the lesser of two evils here as we typically do so let's stop kidding ourselves. At this point Sanders supporters are better off focusing on their local and congressional elections and make sure to vote for other candidates who are supportive of the revolution (like Zephyr Teachout). As far as I am concerned, the general election is over beyond reading some amusing tweets or seeing Clinton getting caught in some scandal I have never heard of. Forgive me for being cynical, but at this point it's hard not to lose faith in your fellow Americans for throwing away a rare chance to deal a crushing blow to establishment politics. The best I can hope for is that the progressive movement continues behind the scenes during a Clinton presidency which eventually overthrows her once she fails to fix any significant problems facing Americans beyond preventing a Trump presidency.
I perfectly understand the point about money in politics and agree it a key piece of the Sanders campaign.

What you are forgetting is how radically transformative Sanders was. No one thought it would be possible to run a campaign like his-- he proved it possible to run without Wallstreet, but no one else, including Obama, has before. What that means timing-wise it's hard to hold every other candidate to the same standard.

Hillary has long been an advocate for getting money out of politics, which is a main stream democrat position. She's just one of many who thought she had to play the game in front of her. That doesn't make her wrong so much as it just proves Sanders as a visionary.

No candidate besides Sanders is Sanders. What he is asking us to do-- which he has pushed very hard to ignite and enable us to do-- is to hold the system accountable ourselves. Is it fair that we have to work so hard to beat a rigged system? No, but calling on the people to do it is necessary.

And it's not enough just to be loud-- we have to make wins too. So again, he's calling on his supporters to make Trump lose bad, and to hold the whole system--including Clinton--accountable.

Will it be easy? No-- but a revolution that cannot meet that challenge is not a revolution.

As for the stat; can't remember where, but "only 55%" is misleading since the article I read said that at the same time 8 years ago less than 40% of Hilkary's supporters supported Obama prior her endorsement.

When you said 55%, I was actually surprised that it's already that high.

Bass

Brother in arms
I perfectly understand the point about money in politics and agree it a key piece of the Sanders campaign.
But do you really understand how money actually influences the mainstream political positions of both parties? Based on the rest of your post, I am not so sure. See my responses below.

What you are forgetting is how radically transformative Sanders was. No one thought it would be possible to run a campaign like his-- he proved it possible to run without Wallstreet, but no one else, including Obama, has before. What that means timing-wise it's hard to hold every other candidate to the same standard.
I am not forgetting anything and actually agree that his campaign was "transformative". But that's precisely why we as voters must start holding every political candidate to that same standard, including Clinton and Trump.

Hillary has long been an advocate for getting money out of politics, which is a main stream democrat position. She's just one of many who thought she had to play the game in front of her. That doesn't make her wrong so much as it just proves Sanders as a visionary.
Is this supposed to be a joke? Because I am not laughing. Are you taking her claim that she will undo Citizens United as evidence of such? In reality the issue of money in politics has been around long before the Citizens United decision, it is just a small piece of a very large set of reforms needed to combat the issue. If she and the democratic party were truly committed to the cause of getting money out of politics, then their record must prove such. Yet, they refuse to adapt many of Bernie's stances on some incredibly important domestic issues. For example, why aren't they willing to put medicare for all and a revenue neutral carbon tax on their platform? Again, these are very mainstream positions in other industrialized countries. Or better yet, on the former issue, why do you think Clinton once supported it, but switched her position on it after becoming a senator? Why won't she release her paid speech transcripts worth $225,000 each despite claiming she will be even tougher on Wall Street than Sanders? And after Sanders out-raised her campaign with small donations, why does she continue to fund her campaign through expensive fundraisers with the top 1%, including from Republicans? I could go on and on but my point is that she hasn't walked the walk. In addendum to what I said previously, this is exactly why she and Trump should be held to higher standards.

No candidate besides Sanders is Sanders. What he is asking us to do-- which he has pushed very hard to ignite and enable us to do-- is to hold the system accountable ourselves. Is it fair that we have to work so hard to beat a rigged system? No, but calling on the people to do it is necessary.
And it's not enough just to be loud-- we have to make wins too. So again, he's calling on his supporters to make Trump lose bad, and to hold the whole system--including Clinton--accountable.

Will it be easy? No-- but a revolution that cannot meet that challenge is not a revolution.
And once again you are missing the point of his revolution. Trump is nothing more than a bigger roadblock than Clinton since his presidency would potentially give the GOP control of all the major branches of government which would be a disaster for progressive policies. Despite what he may say I am sure he endorsed Clinton for this exact reason since again her record is horrendous when it comes to money in politics, but enough of his supporters will need to come around and vote for her to prevent a Trump victory. Again, you are just deluding yourself and others if you think we should vote Clinton as a great progressive candidate. To us she doesn't even qualify as a progressive candidate based on her record and even current positions on some key issues. I have said this over and over again, and I'll say it again. We are voting for Clinton because she is the lesser of the two evils, plain and simple.

As for the stat; can't remember where, but "only 55%" is misleading since the article I read said that at the same time 8 years ago less than 40% of Hilkary's supporters supported Obama prior her endorsement.

When you said 55%, I was actually surprised that it's already that high.
True, Obama's base level of party unity was lower at the start. But honestly the 2008 primary was mainly about identity politics, so Hillary's endorsement of Obama probably held a lot more weight than that of Sanders endorsing her. Personally I don't think a large chunk of the remaining Sanders supporters will be swayed by just an endorsement based on everything I have just said, but I could be wrong. I'll wait and see on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES

Chou Toshio

Over9000
But do you really understand how money actually influences the mainstream political positions of both parties? Based on the rest of your post, I am not so sure. See my responses below.
It's a complicated topic, but I believe myself suitably alert to how special interest groups, private industry, and a host of lobbying activities both buy politicians and mold public discourse through communication and advertising (which affects citizens' ability to realize/defend their own interests)-- that at every turn they mold the wording of policy and public discourse to their interest, and basically pervert government and market away from catering to the needs of communities and individuals. Not only is there the issue of citizens United, but we have not regulated, and allowed the birth of a broad range of organizations dedicated to moving money, eliminating transparency, and making and deploying a wide range of powerful reach and target political ads and messaging creative.

It would be completely fair to say that making progress anywhere else is pending getting better controls on money in politics, and that at least slow progress but some progress is almost inevitable upon fixing it-- it is the most critical piece of the Sanders campaign because everything else hinges on it.

Satisfactory for a casual forum post?

I am not forgetting anything and actually agree that his campaign was "transformative". But that's precisely why we as voters must start holding every political candidate to that same standard, including Clinton and Trump.
Sure, but you have to look at the candidates that we have now, that have come through the politics and industry that are themselves the problems.

If you want to start a movement to not re-elect Clinton if she refuses to run a Sanders-style campaign 4 years from now, I'll be on board with you, but we have to elect a president now.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Because I am not laughing. Are you taking her claim that she will undo Citizens United as evidence of such? In reality the issue of money in politics has been around long before the Citizens United, it is just a small piece of a very large set of reforms needed to combat the issue. If she and the democratic party were truly committed to the cause of getting money out of politics, then their record must prove such. Yet, they refuse to adapt many of Bernie's stances on some incredibly important domestic issues. For example, why aren't they willing to put medicare for all and a revenue neutral carbon tax on their platform? Again, these are very mainstream positions in other industrialized countries. Or better yet, on the former issue, why do you think Clinton once supported it, but switched her position on it after becoming a senator? Why won't she release her paid speech transcripts worth $225,000 each despite claiming she will be even tougher on Wall Street than Sanders? And after Sanders out-raised her campaign with small donations, why does she continue to fund her campaign through expensive fundraisers with the top 1%, including from Republicans? I could on and on but my point is that she hasn't walked the walk. In addendum to what I said previously, this is exactly why she and Trump should be held to higher standards.

And once again you are missing the point of his revolution. Trump is nothing more than a bigger roadblock than Clinton since his presidency would potentially give the GOP control of all the major branches of government which would be a disaster for progressive policies. Despite what he may say I am sure he endorsed Clinton for this exact reason since again her record is horrendous when it comes to money in politics, but enough of his supporters will need to come around and vote for her to prevent a Trump victory. Again, you are just deluding yourself and others if you think we should vote Clinton as a great progressive candidate. To us she doesn't even qualify as a progressive candidate based on her record and even current positions on some key issues. I have said this over and over again, and I'll say it again. We are voting for Clinton because she is the lesser of the two evils, plain and simple.
Uh, I agree with everything you had to say, and nowhere did I say she was a great progressive candidate.

I said that:
1) I applaud Bernie's efforts and actions giving the tools he had and game he has before him.
2) I agree with his movement as the best next possible action for his campaign and the country.
3) Hillary's stated positions are mostly correct-- regardless of whatever her actual interest are, still better than Trump.
4) It's up to us to hold her and other's accountable, and I applaud Bernie's moves to support those efforts. Bernie holding out as long as he did and demanding as much as he did is leadership by example. I know this is an incredible feet to do; challenging to being almost unrealistic, but it is needed, and that's why we need the strength of a true political revolution.

If you read my post, it's a post about agreeing with Bernie's actions, rather than praising Hillary.
True, Obama's base level of party unity was lower at the start. But honestly the 2008 primary was mainly about identity politics, so Hillary's endorsement of Obama probably held a lot more weight than that of Sanders endorsing her. Personally I don't think a large chunk of the remaining Sanders supporters will be swayed by just an endorsement based on everything I have just said, but I could be wrong. I'll wait and see on that.
I agree here too. I'm not sure Bernie's endorsement will have a big impact, but I personally foresee his supporters backing Clinton in the long run regardless of his endorsement.

You like to complain about the media, but the media is all about disproportionately displaying the anti-Clinton Bernie voices right now-- and yet still, 55% going to vote Hillary.

Last edited:
What bothers me is that Bernie brought up these issues, not Clinton. Is that because of ignorance? Or is it because she wasn't going to address them in the first place, because the establishment didn't want them addressed. And indeed, what are we going to do if she or the establishment goes back on their word, and decides not to push for it (and they will, because $15 minimum wage? How horrible would it be if their billionaire friends have to part with 100s of $$$millions to their indentured servants hard working employees who have been with them for a year! The Republicans are going to fight tooth and nail to prevent it from happening, use every trick in the playbook, and then some!).

And we don't want the TPP. We want it thrown out, and something written that makes sense, if that is even possible. That is not negotiable. We want at least to have a choice of whether we want the mass surveillance state continued, and even those in charge of starting the project behind our backs in the NSA charged for violating our right to privacy. We don't want fracking. It's time to back clean energy, not just electric, hydrogen, solar, and wind, but nuclear fusion as well, which just needs a chance! The police violence needs to end, before it gets out of hand, and we have wars on the streets between law enforcement and those who have been persecuted who have gotten sick and tired of it, and have decided to take matters into their own hands. The problem is that the police has been militarized, and trained to see us as the enemy, not as fellow citizens that they are supposed to be helping. We see this especially in protests, where protestors are being hauled off for carrying out their civil rights to protest, to make a big stink out of a terrible situation. They are crying out for it to end! And finally, she needs to run her campaign as the last one that will use large campaign contributions from wealthy individuals, and she needs to tell the country that if she will promise to try her best to get all this done, and help activists to fix this country, even if it's the last thing she does, cross her heart and hope to die, "so help me God"!!!

If she promises this, then not only will I vote for her, but every Bernie and independent will vote for her, because then they know that she will fight tooth and nail for us to do the right thing, or they will hold her to her promises. Until then, I see Sanders as a sheepdog, who thinks that Trump is such a big threat, that taking our chances with the Democratic establishment is our best bet. But after hearing about conspiracy theories for years, and if they are real, then the Democratic establishment is definitely a part of it as much as the Republicans, I'm not taking my chances with the establishment unless they want to play ball. Honestly, after seeing evidence of foul play in Chicago, California, and New York, I don't expect them to.

Trump might very well be a threat to democracy, and do whatever he wants, but I'm convinced that under the right excuses circumstances, so would Hillary. The thing is, we know Trump is a threat, so we'll be critiquing every thing he does, waiting for the right time to write a petition to Congress to impeach him (and the establishment will probably want to do the same thing).

The thing with Hillary is that most people blow of conspiracy theories like the depopulation conspiracy or the plan to establish a police state. Hillary is the snake most people won't be analyzing, and so if they get bit, they won't know what hit them. Trump is like a rattlesnake: you know he's dangerous. Hillary is more like an innocuous Coral Snake, who looks like a harmless Milk Snake.

And the Democratic Establishment has screwed those of us over who want real change so many times, I'm only beginning to find out how many times, because of the corporate media blacklisting and refusing to cover it:

As far as I'm concerned, it's the Democratic Party that might push Trump into office, because they want their golden goose in the White House so much, they are willing to not only outright ignore the voices of their constituents, but might also have manipulated the primaries, and they expect us to bow our heads and fall in line? Are they fucking crazy? So if Trump becomes President, it's their fucking fault, not ours!!!

Last edited:

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Warren

*I am aware she is scheduled to speak first night of dnc and that vp running mates usually speak the third night of dnc so I'm probably wrong, but that's my opinion

Last edited:
Yep, election fraud only targets Bernie supporters and never Clinton supporters despite real election laws that exist in largely red states that restrict the vote on minorities who tend to support Clinton :O

Anyways, I'm tired of hearing about how Democrats and Republicans are the same and how "establishment" Democrats are corrupt and also owned by wall street. Just look at the voting records on all of these issues (full post here https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/4shwrj/sanders_endorses_clinton_in_new_hampshire/d59ft9t)

SJ Res 19 - Reverse Citizens United

ForAgainst
Rep 042
Dem54 0

Campaign Finance Disclosure Requirements

ForAgainst
Rep 039
Dem59 0
Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act

ForAgainst
Rep838
Dem513
DISCLOSE Act

ForAgainst
Rep 053
Dem45 0
Repeal Taxpayer Financing of Presidential Election Campaigns

ForAgainst
Rep232 0
Dem 0189

Motor Voter Act - registration at all DMV's

ForAgainst
Rep536
Dem570

Backup Paper Ballots - Voting Record
ForAgainst
Rep 20170
Dem228 0

The reality is, "establishment" Democrats are FOR many of the things that Sanders is fighting for, the problem has been that they don't have a majority in the house or senate and can't get things passed because Republicans win big during midterms and the Dems don't have enough votes to pass these things.

Yep, election fraud only targets Bernie supporters and never Clinton supporters despite real election laws that exist in largely red states that restrict the vote on minorities who tend to support Clinton :O

Anyways, I'm tired of hearing about how Democrats and Republicans are the same and how "establishment" Democrats are corrupt and also owned by wall street. Just look at the voting records on all of these issues (full post here https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/4shwrj/sanders_endorses_clinton_in_new_hampshire/d59ft9t)

ForAgainst
Rep 042
Dem54 0

ForAgainst
Rep 039
Dem59 0

ForAgainst
Rep838
Dem513
DISCLOSE Act

ForAgainst
Rep 053
Dem45 0

ForAgainst
Rep232 0
Dem 0189

ForAgainst
Rep536
Dem570

ForAgainst
Rep 20170
Dem228 0

The reality is, "establishment" Democrats are FOR many of the things that Sanders is fighting for, the problem has been that they don't have a majority in the house or senate and can't get things passed because Republicans win big during midterms and the Dems don't have enough votes to pass these things.
Okay, you're right that the voting "restrictions" did affect Clinton as well. Of course, otherwise, it'd look TOO suspicious to ignore, perhaps even by our corporate media. But it doesn't change the fact that it did happen, and the margin of errors affected Sanders a lot more, if not solely.

And I don't think the whole party is involved, or is let on completely on what is happening, similar to some of the evil teams in Pokémon like Team Aqua, Magma, and Galactic. All they know is that they benefit by cooperating, and those who are approached who refuse might face threats to themselves or their family. Indeed, I think it is only people mostly in top, strategic positions.

I think the fix is mostly held together by a combination of said persons in strategic positions, stupid restricting rules and regulations that are followed blindly, which might be passed by Republicans, but aren't fought hard enough to overturn, and even by poll workers and supervisors who aren't trained to know what they are doing.

The far latter contributes to this, which you can see here:

Sorry it's a 40 minute video, but it's important, as I think you'll see.

And while it is true that it is the Republicans who reliably prevent any progress against fighting the plutocracy we have, and there are probably more members in the Republican party who do the lion's share of keeping the filthy rich's claws firmly entrenched in the power structure of our country, it wouldn't be possible without Democrats playing their far share in the conspiracy as well. The fact that Gerrymandering hasn't been banned as a threat to democracy in the 212 years since it's first implementation is one of those things that makes me suspicious. The Democrats could get so much done if the Gerrymander-elected Republican incumbents weren't there, right?! Countries such as the U.K., Australia, and Canada have already done it, so why haven't we?

And Democrats who are firmly a part of the establishment who did vote for the Bipartisan Reform Act, SJ Res 19 RCU, Campaign Finance Disclosure Requirements, and the DISCLOSE Act, which would have really changed the political landscape and Knocked Off the plutocrats hold on our government, might have only done so knowing full well that there were more than enough of their Republican allies that it wouldn't have made a difference if they voted for or against it. Why stick your neck out, and show your true colors, when you can sit back, and let your greedy Republican friends do all the work? That, and they still earn $174,000 plus benefits, even without bribes and favors.

Show me one instance where the Senate successfully passed a measure that metaphorically gave a middle finger to the oligarchs. They are successful, because they can effectively hide just how much they control the government, and through what means. Even I don't completely understand it at times, just how I don't understand how they cause the recession in 2008 and got away with it, but it's there nonetheless.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Who do you all think Clinton will select as her running mate?
Becerra or Perez, or less likely Castro. I'd be quite surprised if she went with anyone who isn't Latino quite honestly. It's too smart of an electoral play. Especially in this election cycle... and it could potentially have massive down ticket effects too.

Between Becerra and Perez, my money is on Perez because apparently she has a hard time with the spanish rolled r and not being able to pronounce your own running mate's name properly is just a wee bit risky

Bass

Brother in arms
It's a complicated topic, but I believe myself suitably alert to how special interest groups, private industry, and a host of lobbying activities both buy politicians and mold public discourse through communication and advertising (which affects citizens' ability to realize/defend their own interests)-- that at every turn they mold the wording of policy and public discourse to their interest, and basically pervert government and market away from catering to the needs of communities and individuals. Not only is there the issue of citizens United, but we have not regulated, and allowed the birth of a broad range of organizations dedicated to moving money, eliminating transparency, and making and deploying a wide range of powerful reach and target political ads and messaging creative.

It would be completely fair to say that making progress anywhere else is pending getting better controls on money in politics, and that at least slow progress but some progress is almost inevitable upon fixing it-- it is the most critical piece of the Sanders campaign because everything else hinges on it.

Satisfactory for a casual forum post?
Yes I get that you clearly understand the basics of the problem. Yet, you went on to say previously that Clinton and the Democratic party support getting money out of politics as a mainstream position. You still haven't addressed this discrepancy at all in your post, and that is what I am calling you out on.

Sure, but you have to look at the candidates that we have now, that have come through the politics and industry that are themselves the problems.

If you want to start a movement to not re-elect Clinton if she refuses to run a Sanders-style campaign 4 years from now, I'll be on board with you, but we have to elect a president now.
That's fine and all. Just don't expect Sanders supporters that vote for her to back her for any reason beyond preventing Trump from winning. The real energy has to be focused at lower levels of government in the meantime.

Uh, I agree with everything you had to say, and nowhere did I say she was a great progressive candidate.

I said that:
1) I applaud Bernie's efforts and actions giving the tools he had and game he has before him.
2) I agree with his movement as the best next possible action for his campaign and the country.
3) Hillary's stated positions are mostly correct-- regardless of whatever her actual interest are, still better than Trump.
4) It's up to us to hold her and other's accountable, and I applaud Bernie's moves to support those efforts. Bernie holding out as long as he did and demanding as much as he did is leadership by example. I know this is an incredible feet to do; challenging to being almost unrealistic, but it is needed, and that's why we need the strength of a true political revolution.

If you read my post, it's a post about agreeing with Bernie's actions, rather than praising Hillary.
The main argument of your post was "Bernie supporters should back Hillary because they have similar positions on most issues". And my response to that is, on the most important, most critical issues, Clinton and mainstream Democrats fall short. How many times do I need to state this? It's nothing more than voting for the lesser of the two evils since Trump has some terrible policy ideas. But that's just my opinion. Some might back him because he opposes the TPP which is a major thing Democrats are unwilling to commit to. Again, it's just an agonizing lesser of the two evils vote. People will pick based on which policies are most important to them that either Clinton or Trump have similar positions to Sanders on. Because they see her as a corrupt politician, you can't reasonably expect Sanders supporters to easily fall in line with voting for her when ending political corruption was the cornerstone of his campaign.

I agree here too. I'm not sure Bernie's endorsement will have a big impact, but I personally foresee his supporters backing Clinton in the long run regardless of his endorsement.

You like to complain about the media, but the media is all about disproportionately displaying the anti-Clinton Bernie voices right now-- and yet still, 55% going to vote Hillary.
The unfairness was mainly during the primary season, but I'd rather not get into this. If you honestly think mainstream media outlets, many of which were owned by individuals who have contributed to Clinton's campaign, were not biased in her favor, then I don't know what else to tell you. The other main issue is not simply a matter of bias in favor of one candidate, but the fact that the MSM treats politics like a soap opera or drama rather than as an important conversation of issues. But I am starting to go on a tangent here, so I will save that discussion for another time.

More like you are cherry picking cases of voter suppression that effect Clinton supporters while ignoring the ones that I and others in this thread have already posted numerous times. And the key thing is the latter cases can't be pinned on rules set by Republicans (for example, party affiliation changes in closed primaries). So please stop playing the blame game and acknowledge every piece of evidence.

ForAgainst
Rep 042
Dem54 0

ForAgainst
Rep 039
Dem59 0

ForAgainst
Rep838
Dem513
DISCLOSE Act

ForAgainst
Rep 053
Dem45 0

ForAgainst
Rep232 0
Dem 0189

ForAgainst
Rep536
Dem570

ForAgainst
Rep 20170
Dem228 0

Nice job with your cherry picking again. It's like you ignored my post (maybe you did because you weren't responding to me specifically, but I digress). Your point is that Republicans are more corrupt than Democrats. I agree since pro-corporate policies are more inline with the right's unyielding support of capitalism. But here's the problem: Saying the Republicans are worse doesn't mean the Democrats are not corrupt. They might not be raging climate change deniers in the pocket of the fossil fuel industry, but they take money from lobbyists and CEO's who give it to them in hopes that they can continue to influence key policies in their favor. Why do they refuse to back a universal, single payer system that is standard in other countries? Because they take money from the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries. Why did Clinton support the Iraq war? It wouldn't have anything to do with the vast amounts of money she has receives from defense contractors, would it. And finally, despite claiming that she will be tougher on Wall St. than Sanders, why is it that, in addition to her expensive speeches, that she won't support reinstating Glass Stegall? Why won't the democratic party put opposing the TPP on their platform? Why is Bernie the only candidate who is not staunchly pro-Israel despite being Jewish himself? And how about supporting a carbon tax and ending fracking?

I have stated most of these things already and could keep going on, but as far as I am concerned most of these issues are blockers. If money wasn't influencing "establishment" democrats, then these would be mainstream positions in the party considering that a majority of democratic and progressive voters support these positions. On social issues, which Sanders, Clinton, and mainstream Democrats are all in agreement on, have you considered why that's the case? Maybe it would have to do with the fact that rich corporate donors aren't as affected by these issues, so there is far less at stake for politicians to be in line with their constituents in this regard?

Reactions: JES

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1) Clinton has stated she opposes the TPP. Whether or not this is a flip flop is frankly irrelevant unless you're a moralistic voter who cares more about authenticity than actual reality. She's not going to push it through.

2) I'm a very politically engaged person and I've still yet to ever see an actual argument explaining why the TPP in particular is so bad relative to other trade agreements. Or did the US suddenly just become majority anti-free trade in general? If it's the former, please provide evidence. If it's the latter, then I worry about the misinformation people are being fed.

she's been saying it but presidents have broken promises before and clinton's way too personally invested to switch lightly. most voters don't even care about the TPP so she won't lose much by switching back to supporting what she supported in the first place

i mean bernie fans hate her anyway so why try to please them

Last edited:
she's been saying it but presidents have broken promises before and clinton's way too personally invested to switch lightly. most voters don't even care about the TPP so she won't lose much by switching back to supporting what she supported in the first place

i mean bernie fans hate her anyway so why try to please them
Because it would be unwise to piss of voters who put her in office in the first place? And that is IF we vote for her, and if we do, we're going to make sure she holds her promises, or and she refuses, we'll find ways to make life miserable for her. We're already pissed off for numerous reasons, and if she thinks that we're going to vote for her, and then go laissez faire on her, she has another thing coming. We can start massive protests on Twitter and Facebook if we have to. It might take time, money, and coordination, but by the time this election season is over, we'll be determined enough to make it happen.

In fact, the only reason we would vote for is if we can hold her to her promises. Not point in voting for her otherwise. And remember, it isn't us who will get Trump elected. It is because the establishment and the PTB did everything they could to make Clinton the nominee, including rigging the electronic voting machines to favor Clinton, because they were too stupid/arrogant to think about the consequences.

I don't think the notion that the populous election favored Hillary is wrong. Don't get me wrong, she had the establishment setting her up in every way but Clinton had a 3.775 million vote lead on Sanders. I find it hard to believe that the popular vote could be swung that much by voter fraud. So even if there was voter fraud in key spots for delegate counts, Sanders still didn't win the popular vote. In a 2 man race, you can't say that others lowered the total against Clinton unlike the republican party. Yeah Trump won 13.3 million votes in the primary, but he lost 15.283 plus votes in the primary. And those primary numbers only include trump, cruz, kasich, and rubio.

So it would be a more accurate statement to say that the majority of Republicans didn't want trump vs the majority of Democrats didn't want Hillary Clinton.

Numbers
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/republican_vote_count.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/democratic_vote_count.html

I don't think the notion that the populous election favored Hillary is wrong. Don't get me wrong, she had the establishment setting her up in every way but Clinton had a 3.775 million vote lead on Sanders. I find it hard to believe that the popular vote could be swung that much by voter fraud. So even if there was voter fraud in key spots for delegate counts, Sanders still didn't win the popular vote. In a 2 man race, you can't say that others lowered the total against Clinton unlike the republican party. Yeah Trump won 13.3 million votes in the primary, but he lost 15.283 plus votes in the primary. And those primary numbers only include trump, cruz, kasich, and rubio.

So it would be a more accurate statement to say that the majority of Republicans didn't want trump vs the majority of Democrats didn't want Hillary Clinton.

Numbers
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/republican_vote_count.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/democratic_vote_count.html
It's a tall order, but it's not impossible. Plus, there is the fact that the poll workers in California weren't properly trained, and left to their own devices, and it is quite likely this is how it was nationwide. It could have happened in every primary Sanders "lost" for all we know, or enough so that the 500 super-delegates would be the only thing giving Clinton the advantage. There is also the fact that every loss Sanders had was a blow to moral for those who supported him, and by the time he lost New York, many Sanders supporters might have figured that it was over, and there was no point in voting for in the Primaries. And then there are Independents who didn't have a voice in the matter. Every vote counts, and all these factors together might have worked together to give Clinton the nomination.

It'd be unwise to underestimate all these variables that cost Sanders the election.

It's a tall order, but it's not impossible. Plus, there is the fact that the poll workers in California weren't properly trained, and left to their own devices, and it is quite likely this is how it was nationwide. It could have happened in every primary Sanders "lost" for all we know, or enough so that the 500 super-delegates would be the only thing giving Clinton the advantage. There is also the fact that every loss Sanders had was a blow to moral for those who supported him, and by the time he lost New York, many Sanders supporters might have figured that it was over, and there was no point in voting for in the Primaries. And then there are Independents who didn't have a voice in the matter. Every vote counts, and all these factors together might have worked together to give Clinton the nomination.

It'd be unwise to underestimate all these variables that cost Sanders the election.
You saw what the numbers were right? Something like that would have exploded since not only would bernie supporters jump on it, but so would every non hillary supporter. The right points out every instance of voter fraud and is shut down because most on the left dismiss it until it hinders them, so every conservative outlet would have jumped onto the voter fraud.

The real thing I would be pissed about if I was a Bernie supporter, is that he got about 200 million dollars to fight the very corruption that he went on to endorse for president

You saw what the numbers were right? Something like that would have exploded since not only would bernie supporters jump on it, but so would every non hillary supporter. The right points out every instance of voter fraud and is shut down because most on the left dismiss it until it hinders them, so every conservative outlet would have jumped onto the voter fraud.

The real thing I would be pissed about if I was a Bernie supporter, is that he got about 200 million dollars to fight the very corruption that he went on to endorse for president
It might yet. I've heard at least one lawsuit has been filed, and we don't know how far it goes. Like I said, don't underestimate the effects that a few less delegates might have in one state, or a few landslides in strategic states like California and New York might have had.

And the problem is that the corporate media refuses to cover it. They want Clinton to be the President, while the conservative outlets that supports the establishment would rather have Clinton in office rather than Trump, let alone Sanders, who would rock the gravy train for them and their other rich buddies. Even conservative outlets like Fox news might say otherwise, but it's wealthy owner probably would trust he would do better under a Clinton administration than a Trump presidency.
Best for them not to do anything that would illegitimate the Clinton nomination in any way. That is how most people are kept under the impression that we live in a democracy, but if you took the time to watch those videos I liked, and analyzed them, you'd be questioning that just as much as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)