Not open for further replies.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
holy absolute fuck this season is getting good

91 days - same team as baccano, same aesthetic, early aoty candidate

amanchu - same team as aria, same aesthetic, really calming and relaxing

hitori no shita - chinese?? this show is cool kinda, but also just mostly sucks

qualidea code - qualidea anime

alderamin in the sky - this is actually pretty cool, the MC is an alpha which you dont see very often. and the setup was interesting as well.

--

with stuff like mob psycho, active raid s2 and danganronpas not yet aired i would call this season almost better than the last one

amaama, 91 days, amanchu, orange, new game, momokuri have all started out extremely strong. excited to see where this season takes me, hope its not to DISAPPOINTMENTVILLE

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rewrite is supposedly the best Key VN so I'm gonna keep watching it in the hopes that it gets better later on, but if the adaptation ends up sucking I'll probably just read the VN anyway if it's really as good as I've been told it is. The start has been utterly generic and kinda boring though, and I hate the fact that the entire fucking cast is a harem. I mean Clannad kinda did this too without any kind of romantic implications barring between Nagisa and Tomoya, as does just about every Key thing I've seen so far barring Angel Beats (which actually has a really balanced cast), but come on this horse has been beaten dead at this point. Hopefully we'll get more like the last 5-10 minutes of episode 1 'cause it was incredibly solid at that point while the rest has been kinda crap. If anything has caught my interest barring the aforementioned period of time it is that ghost girl. What is she? Why does she do what she does? Why does she seem to understand nothing about the implications of the MC's actions towards her (be they unconscious or conscious)? Beyond this it's just been unmemorable so far tho.

Anyway opinions on first/second eps I've seen so far:

Good/great: Berserk, Amaama to Inazuma, Orange, Amanchu, 91 Days, Shokugeki S2 (courtesy of ep 2), Amanchu!, Taboo Tattoo (fuck the sexualisation tho)
Stuff I'll give 3 episodes+stuff I'll watch that didn't start out amazingly: Banyana (this is so fucking adorable), Fukigen na Mononokean, Rewrite, New Game! (I wasn't actually that keen on this one personally although that may be because it was one of the ones I was looking foreward to 'cause synopsis), Ozmafia (will likely drop)
Stuff I dropped: DAYS (awful writing, generic concept, boring execution)

Anything else I've not watched yet. One of the ones I plan to watch which I haven't yet (due to it not being on CR in my region--idk about other regions tho) is Handa-kun if only because it's the prequel to Barakamon which means that the writing will hopefully be pretty good. There are lots of others too and I want to try and watch most of the first episodes on the season if I can find the time to.

Watched the first episode of Taboo Tattoo. Thought its premise and plot were all right, but its animation is just really poor. Half the scenes had almost no animation, which was really bothersome in a majority of the fighting scenes. Some of the characters also ended up having really stretchy arms in a few of the scenes, further harming these fighting scenes.

I thought the overall artstyle was good, although the large amount of overwhelming light sources can make it hard to look at. Some scenes also shift to a chibi artstyle, which I feel doesn't mesh well with the show's overall more serious tone.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This week's Re:ゼロ was a better episode than literally every episode of anything which aired last season imo

What was that at the end though? What was that creature? And was "my daughter" referring to Emilia?

If re:zero maintains quality that is anything close to ep 15 then it will be running for best anime of the year. And supposedly the story actually gets better from here.

I'm pretty sure Puck has also referred to Emilia as his daughter before. I can't remember a specific scene but I think he's done it a couple times. Maybe he transforms into that when Emilia dies.

Also remember back in episode 3 when Subaru asks Emilia if she has a trump card she tells him yes but she'd be the only left alive afterwards? Well I think Subaru's first death this episode might've been Emilia using it. He was obviously getting near her cause he found her ribbon or whatever right before he entered the frozen room, and in that timeline he made it to the house earlier than the second time, maybe early enough to where Emilia was still fighting for her life.

Idk just some food for thoughts this episode was really baller seemed more like I was watching a movie than a 25 min episode.

I am kinda disappointed of this weeks Mononokean. It was decent but it didn't feel even close to the first episode.

ReWrite turns pretty much like one would expect it to turn out. I shouldn't actually complain.

Martin

I'm just gonna assume that Rewrite is one of those shows that gets good the longer you watch it if the VN is really as good as I've been told it is...

Anyway Taboo Tattoo is actually starting to piss me off a bit. The first half of this episode consisted of exposition (not good exposition, mind you) and generic fanservice for the girl with over-inflated tits and the American girl whereas the second half wasn't even entertaining; the only action scene in the episode was depressingly non-actiony, and any exposition in the first or second half was not very good at all.

Gonna be honest, the last couple of episodes of Re:Zero (before the end of episode 14) was kind of meh to me. Maybe it was because I was sick the past two weeks, but I found Subaru really annoying and the whole disagreement(?) between him Emilia felt forced and dumb(Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember, I was running a fever at the time, so I might rewatch them).

But holy fuck

I don't think I need to comment on the episode because if you haven't seen it, go watch it, but I do want to say not just how amazing this episode was, but that last scene... "Sleep...along with my daughter", just wow.

This weeks episodes were really disappointing to me. A lot of the shows lost momentum where they actually needed it. I already forgot what happened in Taboo Tattoo.
I am probably not even going to touch New Game.

too many shows, I have like 10+ episodes to watch backed up

Souma s2 - definitely rushed, but still great in spite of that, really glad they're at least finishing the arc.

New Game - typical Dogakobo show, which is to say it looks like a solid cute girls sol

Regalia: whoa a 2D mech anime that's not Bones or Gundam, that's not something I was expecting to see ever again. Not huge on it otherwise but the mecha part was pretty cool so will keep watching.

Mononokean: I had some hopes for this one (apparently it's in the same magazine as Barakamon and Nozaki-kun) but it was pretty dull and neither of the characters were very likable

Rewrite: this felt very...adaption-y, not terrible but eh. I like the source material enough to stick this one out especially since there's some original content apparently

Relife: only watched two episodes so far but this is actually really solid. Kinda wish they broadcast it normally since it makes it difficult to discuss with everyone probably at different points

Amaama to Inazuma - I liked this, not quite as much as Usagi Drop but seems like it'll be a nice relaxing sol

Amanchu: something is lost when your characters wear their goofy reaction faces more than their regular ones. Aside from that it was nice, hoping this turns out well since I really liked Aria.

Ange Vierge: this was pretty forgettable except for the fact that it had a ridiculously long bath scene, probably more than half the episode

Handa-kun: first half of the ep was filler and kinda bad, second half was decent but a lot of the gags were predictable, will probably watch a bit more to see if it improves

Orange: dialogue and comedy were pretty dull, the manga is pretty highly rated though so I might give it a bit longer

Alderamin: character designs are kind of funky and the main character's personality seems a bit overdone but this has potential

Time Travel Shoujo: this was alright, it's supposed to be educational and has a bit of a Saturday morning cartoon feel to it which I'm cool with

Taboo Tattoo: generic but fun so far

Love Live Sunshine: pretty much on par with the first season, though it didn't have anything to live up to the dancing in traffic scene

Rewrite is supposedly the best Key VN so I'm gonna keep watching it in the hopes that it gets better later on, but if the adaptation ends up sucking I'll probably just read the VN anyway if it's really as good as I've been told it is. The start has been utterly generic and kinda boring though, and I hate the fact that the entire fucking cast is a harem. I mean Clannad kinda did this too without any kind of romantic implications barring between Nagisa and Tomoya, as does just about every Key thing I've seen so far barring Angel Beats (which actually has a really balanced cast), but come on this horse has been beaten dead at this point. Hopefully we'll get more like the last 5-10 minutes of episode 1 'cause it was incredibly solid at that point while the rest has been kinda crap. If anything has caught my interest barring the aforementioned period of time it is that ghost girl. What is she? Why does she do what she does? Why does she seem to understand nothing about the implications of the MC's actions towards her (be they unconscious or conscious)? Beyond this it's just been unmemorable so far tho.
Rewrite is their best imo but instead of being written primarily by Maeda (the main KEY guy who did Charlotte, Angel Beats, Clannad, Little Busters) it's by Romeo (Humanity has Declined, Cross Channel) so it's not exactly standard KEY. In particular it's more fantasy/sci-fi than it is drama, though it's hard to tell at the beginning since it's mostly school comedy, character introductions, and foreshadowing, at least in the VN. Unfortunately it does still follow the standard KEY practice of having one main writer and a couple subwriters, I skipped a couple routes of the VN because they were written by a guy who did several really bad routes for Little Busters.

also the harem thing is pretty standard practice for VNs, if anything Rewrite is a bit less harem-y than the genre is on average

Thought dump of what I watched thus far:

91 Days: Has a shit ton of potential thus far. Really interesting first episode + its an original work. Though that does mean it could go anywhere in terms of quality.

Active Raid S2: You liked S1? Well this is more of the same. However, Asami (the brown haired girl) is gone for some reason, though 2 new characters are there in her stride.

Amaama to Inazuma: Not great but really fucking cute and relaxing. Should be rather consistent.

Amanchu: The whole goofy faces thing reminds me a lot of when Winter's Koukaku no Pandora ran the joke of Clarion (the cat robot maid thing) being drawn as a blob into the ground, though the effect was quite well done. Same case here. Another really relaxing slice of life series, though I prefer this to Amaama.

Ange Vierge: Another battle harem show without any male characters. While on the plus side that means a lot less pervert jokes, it still doesn't change that I felt that this wasn't really good. Not horrible by any means, but like a 4/10.

Bananya: Meme show I guess? Really cute though. (On a side note apparently Yuki Kaiji voices all of the banana cats but I don't know if this is exactly true)

Magical Boys: To be frank I wasn't that big on the 1st season, though I overall thought it was decent. This is season 1 except frillier outfits and the villain is a squirrel.

Days: Solid sports anime. Only picked this up because MAPPA's working on it.

Handa-kun: Found this funnier than most. Though if you're coming for a show like Barakamon prepare to be disappointed.

Hatsukoi Monster: Reverse harem with bishounen 10 year olds. No thanks. At least the main girl has cute facial expressions at times.

Art Club: Feel does wonders in terms of production values. Comedy wise it was rather hit or miss. Don't really like any of the characters to be honest.

Love Live Sunshine: Liked the other Love Lives? Then chances are you'll watch and/or like this. Not much to say other than Chuuni is best girl.

Hybrid x Heart: Crappy LN harem.

Mob Psycho 100: Not quite One Punch Man but I still really liked this episode. Love the visuals in particular. Its ugly as fuck (though in the good sense) but its animated so damn well.

Alderamin: Really want it to be 2-cours. Interesting first episode. LN with a pirate aesthetic? I'm in.

New Game: You like moeblobs? Then this is for you. Shirobako-esque vibes though its not quite as good as that series. Still one of my favorites of the season regardless.

Orange: Relaxing to say the least. Likely to have feels later down the line.

Planetarian: Dimension W (Or Solty Rei, either one works) meets Plastic Memories. Definitely the better of the Key adaptations in my opinion. Has a lot of potential IMO. Only 5 episodes, which sounds quite appropriate given that this is a rather short visual novel to begin with. Likely won't screw around with filler.

Qualidea Code: Magic high school crap. Characters are awful people. Moving on.

Regalia: Meh.

ReLIFE: Quite a good drama series. Runs with its premise really well.

Rewrite: First episode was quite interesting for the last few minutes but the second one didn't really impress me. Who knows where this will go?

Saiki: Solid shorts. Really like the format they have going on. (Shorts then a compilation episode)

Servamp: I should hate this because this is another edgy shounen series (though its technically published in a shoujo magazine) but I actually quite like it. In terms of reasons, I can't really think of any. Quite odd to say the least.

Food Wars S2: Season 1 except its slightly faster in terms of pacing. The foodgasms never fail to amuse me.

Taboo Tattoo: Decent shounen though nothing special in the long run.

Tales of Zestiria the X: Really good visuals but really fucking boring at the same time.

Time Travel Shoujo: Solid kids show. Probably the first one I'll pick up for a season because its not a long-runner.

Battery will come out tomorrow and a lot of people are hyping that up so I'll watch it.

i JUST caught up on the BnHA manga about 10 minutes ago so yeah, it'd be nice to have a place to discuss it, but I don't think an entire thread for it is necessary

it'd actually be nice to have separate manga and anime discussion threads since this thread is almost exclusively for anime whereas the manga thread would be good to discuss weekly/monthly series that AREN'T bleach/one piece/attack on titan (i.e. shokugeki, toriko, one punch man, etc). spoilers might be an issue, though.

Martin

Finished ReLIFE earlier and I can honestly only say good things about it. I won't go in-depth about it, but if you've not watched it definitely make a point of doing so.

ok I think I'm mostly caught up

Danganronpa 3 Future: this seems like it'll be a nice, "traditional" Danganronpa anime (which is to say it'll be an edgier, considerably more out there version of Phoenix Wright) which I'm down for. To be completely honest I found the first Danganronpa anime reasonably enjoyable, the main issue is that it spoiled the game which was probably a better experience, but that problem is fixed here.

Danganronpa 3 Despair: I'm not sure how to feel about this, I guess it serves the purpose of character fanservice but it still seems like a strange part of the series to make a show about.

Mob Psycho 100: I didn't actually like this as much as I was hoping, OPM had a fun hook of the lazy superhero who's too strong to ever be challenged but the fake exorcist guy and his antics were kinda zzz. It does have style going for it though so that may be enough

Magical Girls? Naria Girls: an anime that tries to make its terrible CG seem less bad by cutting it with long, badly drawn stills, this is a new low

Art Club Problems: this is dumb but I enjoyed it, main girl is an expy of Chiyo from Nozaki

91 Days: pretty decent start, definitely seems better than Joker Game or Gangsta

Qualidea Code: early impressions on this were pretty bad, I was going to say something about how the aliens or whatever seemed like a joke and this looked more like a competition to earn points for Gryffindor rather than an actual war but then the show addressed that so maybe it's got more going on, and I like Wataru Watari (Yahari/SNAFU writer), though he's sharing the writer slot with two other LN guys so this is a bit of a tossup, it'll probably turn out mediocre but I'll give it a bit more time.

I'm pretty sure Puck has also referred to Emilia as his daughter before. I can't remember a specific scene but I think he's done it a couple times. Maybe he transforms into that when Emilia dies.

Also remember back in episode 3 when Subaru asks Emilia if she has a trump card she tells him yes but she'd be the only left alive afterwards? Well I think Subaru's first death this episode might've been Emilia using it. He was obviously getting near her cause he found her ribbon or whatever right before he entered the frozen room, and in that timeline he made it to the house earlier than the second time, maybe early enough to where Emilia was still fighting for her life.

Idk just some food for thoughts this episode was really baller seemed more like I was watching a movie than a 25 min episode.
Well if you recall Puck saying "You were too late" on that first death I'm pretty sure Emilia died once again right there. Whatever Puck's contract with Emilia entails, it seems that Puck goes on aggro right immediately after her death and activates "his" trump card which seems to be his true form. I'm pretty sure he then proceeds to go about razing the world grieving over the loss of his daughter. But eh that's my interpretation of of what their contract could be. This doesn't mean of course that Emilia has to die for the trump card to activate, but both cases seem to suggest that Emilia died possibly by being caught unawares, followed by Puck independently acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)