Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again though, when you look closely there is no diamond being used with the supposed "super moves". A trail does follow the bracelet but no diamond there.

Strangely enough I don't know that i can remember really seeing the bracelets diamonds in gameplay either. Like even the trainer just bearing it in battle. Maybe it's just me though

EDIT: Whoops, said the wrong word there. Bracelets are seen in gameplay, but I can't remember seeing the diamonds.
Changing the model of the trainer to incorporate the good diamond that goes with the type of the super move used during combat might be a pain, so they decided to not show them. But like Vader_the_White showed, there is a diamond in the bracelet + space for other diamonds.

wanna bring up a point from the previous page about the removal of gems.

gems are kind of simillar to what a lot of people are speculating these new diamond dealies do. a limited use superpowered type specific attack, and tied to a gem thinger too!!

maybe it makes sense that they removed gems bc it was too simillar to this new idea (saved for the complete next gen) and they wanted a clear slate for it!

maybe idk shrug just shitballin here :p

wanna bring up a point from the previous page about the removal of gems.

gems are kind of simillar to what a lot of people are speculating these new diamond dealies do. a limited use superpowered type specific attack, and tied to a gem thinger too!!

maybe it makes sense that they removed gems bc it was too simillar to this new idea (saved for the complete next gen) and they wanted a clear slate for it!

maybe idk shrug just shitballin here :p
That would make it even worse. It'd mean they knew they could just keep those held items that accomplished something similar, but instead chose to put in this dramatic, incredibly lame feature and screw with the whole game.

I'm not sure that makes an awful lot of sense.
The gems were still programmed in - if they really wanted to, there's no reason Game Freak couldn't remove them from the code entirely. It's not like it was needed for compatibility reasons; there's no way to transfer a gem from Gen 5 to Gen 6. And even then, the Normal Gem was still available in all four games and by hold event items. I don't think it's worth looking into at all or using as a reason; it just seems to be an Azure Flute case of oh-whoops-we-meant-to-give-you-these-at-some-point

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, what a week to be away on holiday. The thread has grown twenty-eight pages since I last logged in. Lots of stuff happened. I'd have loved to participate in the discussion, but instead I've been swimming in the lukewarm Mediterranean, eaten souvlaki in various tavernas at sunset, and read Pratchett in the shade of a beach parasol. I've also had to contend with the worst hotel Internet connection I've ever encountered. The only place in my hotel room I could get a decent Wi-Fi signal, was between the wardrobe and the bathroom door, holding the phone near the ceiling. Luckily, Smogon is a very light-weight site, so with a few minutes of trying every evening, at least I could stay up-to-date with this thread. Logging in to reply to it, though, was slightly out of the question. Just responding to Cresselia's initial message about the leak brought a deal of frustration. I've also had to guess the content of a lot of images and videos, depending on what people said about them.

Luckily, it looks like you guys managed to cover most of the stuff I'd have said if I had had the chance to log on. Salandit is awesome for reasons stated, removing Megas is moronically unlikely for reasons stated, the trailers are well analyzed and DHR-107 seems to have made sure people behaved decently enough.

I'll refrain to comment on the "leaks" here, since I don't want to pick that discussion up again. I haven't had time to refresh my memory on every little detail revealed over the past week, but here are a few comments:

- I think Kiteguruma could be the next Garbodor unless treated properly, in that its stock pose in the artwork completely screws over what is actually a quite good design. Like Garbodor, it looks a lot better from other angles and in other poses than it does in official art. Fanart seems to have grasped the designers' intention with the design, though, so I'm not too worried.

- Mimikkyu gives off strong Furfrou vibes. I've got a feeling you find it with one costume in the wild, but that the costume can be changed. No idea if it has any mechanics purpose or if it's just aesthetical, but either way I doubt Mimikkyu will remain a wannabe Pikachu at all times.

- It's sad to see TPC go back to the "Japan first" policy when dropping new trailers and information. Yes, this recent trailer came out just hours after CoroCoro leaked, but still, they're practically choosing to be beaten to the punch by web pirates revealing shoddily photographed information to the Internet at a time the officials have no control over. The entire Pokésphere on the Internet knows about the new Pokémon now, making the official English announcement yesterday's news to practically everybody who pay any attention whatsoever. Waiting until Friday to officially acknowledge their existence even in Japan is just plain pathetic.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The entire Pokésphere on the Internet knows about the new Pokémon now, making the official English announcement yesterday's news to practically everybody who pay any attention whatsoever. Waiting until Friday to officially acknowledge their existence even in Japan is just plain pathetic.
technically corocoro isn't out until the 15th

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
technically corocoro isn't out until the 15th
EXACTLY!

TPC is, after more than a decade, still clinging to the model of dropping semi-major news (such as the reveal of new Pokémon) via a distribution channel they have no official control over. Every month for many years, Pokémon fan sites have dropped and translated news days before CoroCoro is technically out. The contents of the magazine have rarely, if ever, been a secret until it hits the shelves. Every month, like clockwork, somebody has intercepted its distribution and uploaded the news to the Internet, bypassing the official Pokémon news outlets. When TPC then announce their "news" with great fanfare on the 15th, it's all a show. The news have been discussed all over the Internet for days. TPC pretend to give us new and unknown information, even though they know we have already known for days by then.

Besides, every Pokémon fan subscribing to official news sources on the Internet will inevitably stumble upon a fan site as well. It is hardly possible to check pokemon.com for updates regularly without knowing about serebii.net. Nobody bothers with the official channels when it comes to news from CoroCoro, because even though technically the news don't drop until the 15th, in practise that has never been the case. Pretending that the 15th is the important date is a bizarre exercise renminiscent of The Emperor's New Clothes. We all know the emperor has no clothes, so does the emperor, yet still the act is repeated month after month.

Uploading Japan-only trailers with more information days before CoroCoro is released still doesn't fix that problem. There are no oceans on the Internet, and thanks to dilligent translators there are no language barriers either. Japan-only exclusivity for information can not exist. TPC's strange insistence on releasing news exclusively in Japan - and letting fans release them prematurely - is just archaic. Even stranger is their insistence on acting like they bring never-before-seen information when the news are dropped worldwide several days later. If they want fans to take the official channels seriously, instead of ignoring them and following Serebii instead, TPC should ditch CoroCoro and get a fuxing blog.

EXACTLY!

TPC is, after more than a decade, still clinging to the model of dropping semi-major news (such as the reveal of new Pokémon) via a distribution channel they have no official control over. Every month for many years, Pokémon fan sites have dropped and translated news days before CoroCoro is technically out. The contents of the magazine have rarely, if ever, been a secret until it hits the shelves. Every month, like clockwork, somebody has intercepted its distribution and uploaded the news to the Internet, bypassing the official Pokémon news outlets. When TPC then announce their "news" with great fanfare on the 15th, it's all a show. The news have been discussed all over the Internet for days. TPC pretend to give us new and unknown information, even though they know we have already known for days by then.

Besides, every Pokémon fan subscribing to official news sources on the Internet will inevitably stumble upon a fan site as well. It is hardly possible to check pokemon.com for updates regularly without knowing about serebii.net. Nobody bothers with the official channels when it comes to news from CoroCoro, because even though technically the news don't drop until the 15th, in practise that has never been the case. Pretending that the 15th is the important date is a bizarre exercise renminiscent of The Emperor's New Clothes. We all know the emperor has no clothes, so does the emperor, yet still the act is repeated month after month.

Uploading Japan-only trailers with more information days before CoroCoro is released still doesn't fix that problem. There are no oceans on the Internet, and thanks to dilligent translators there are no language barriers either. Japan-only exclusivity for information can not exist. TPC's strange insistence on releasing news exclusively in Japan - and letting fans release them prematurely - is just archaic. Even stranger is their insistence on acting like they bring never-before-seen information when the news are dropped worldwide several days later. If they want fans to take the official channels seriously, instead of ignoring them and following Serebii instead, TPC should ditch CoroCoro and get a fuxing blog.
The only plausible reason is that TPC and CoroCoro must have a deal with a faraway end date for the latter to publish news about the series first, and until then, there's not much to do with it.

Last edited:
Changing the model of the trainer to incorporate the good diamond that goes with the type of the super move used during combat might be a pain, so they decided to not show them. But like Vader_the_White showed, there is a diamond in the bracelet + space for other diamonds.
Not really, these diamonds are pretty small compared to everything else. It's not like they're changing a whole set of clothing or anything.

Also yeah, the bracelet obviously has spaces for multiple diamonds and all. It's just strange that they'd demonstrate its active use while not showing the supposed item that powers it.

Not really, these diamonds are pretty small compared to everything else. It's not like they're changing a whole set of clothing or anything.

Also yeah, the bracelet obviously has spaces for multiple diamonds and all. It's just strange that they'd demonstrate its active use while not showing the supposed item that powers it.
Oh no. I just had a terrible thought.
Maybe the attacks can be accessed with the bracelet alone, but the Synchro forms need the diamonds....
Meh it's almost baseless speculation. It could always be that the game designers haven't finalized all of the diamonds's colors or something like that, so they never showed it in the trailers. They've showed us beta designs of Pokemon before like Excadrill.

So, is The Pokémon Company trying to tell us fans what they think we want to hear about the new Pokeymans, rather than acknowledging that their precious information was already leaked? If we get the English names tomorrow, that will be a nice birthday present, since all of my real-world friends are busy. If not, that's cool as well.

EXACTLY!

I feel this is a topic we go through every single time we have new games, or CoroCoro reveals a new event Pokemon we've known about for years.
As usual, you need to keep in mind who the magazine is aimed for, that is, children. Children, who for a large part, don't use the internet (Which may or may not be how things are over here). It's not meant for people who get to know all this as soon as it's relevant.
To a degree, this also applies to kids over here, who don't necessarily know about various fansites, and rely on official outlets on this.
My point is, the reason there is such fanfare for something we always get our hands on earlier than we should is because we are not the target audience, who, for the most part, DOESN'T get that information.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh, what a week to be away on holiday. The thread has grown twenty-eight pages since I last logged in. Lots of stuff happened. I'd have loved to participate in the discussion, but instead I've been swimming in the lukewarm Mediterranean, eaten souvlaki in various tavernas at sunset, and read Pratchett in the shade of a beach parasol. I've also had to contend with the worst hotel Internet connection I've ever encountered. The only place in my hotel room I could get a decent Wi-Fi signal, was between the wardrobe and the bathroom door, holding the phone near the ceiling. Luckily, Smogon is a very light-weight site, so with a few minutes of trying every evening, at least I could stay up-to-date with this thread. Logging in to reply to it, though, was slightly out of the question. Just responding to Cresselia's initial message about the leak brought a deal of frustration. I've also had to guess the content of a lot of images and videos, depending on what people said about them.
How dare you experience what the world has to offer; having fun, eating great foreign food in exotic locations, and relaxing in peaceful and beautiful beaches. NAY I SAY! You should have been here talking seriously and over-analyzing about a children's card video game!

Joking aside, great to hear you had a nice time. And yeah, this thread does go kind of fast, though I thought I had a lot to read after going on a few hour shift, news is released, and seeing more than 5 pages have been gone through.

EXACTLY!

Actually CoroCoro has it's own Youtube Channel, just give them exclusive vids with the magazine only telling players to check out their Youtube channel (maybe with silhouettes of the Pokemon to entice readers). As for the new becoming international, well we do get some stuff revealed to us early as well but mainly at tournaments. They could have shown stuff via Nintendo Power but that stopped years ago. There's really no media other than the internet where international people can get Pokemon news. But if they decide to do it via exclusive videos maybe they can start getting more international gaming news company in on it like give one to IGN.

I can understand them wanting to give exclusive pieces of news out, but the way they do it through CoroCoro isn't working anymore due to leaks. As I said, it feels like they wanted to keep Kiteruguma and Mimicyu a secret until the Japanese video was released with a sneak peak of them, getting people excited, and then CoroCoro is released giving you details on them. Had they told the news via a Youtube video this would work, and then maybe next month go more indepth with news on the site and maybe some more info (moves it can learn, maybe a bit about it stats) and pics of it.

"Ah, but that won't sell Magazine subscriptions". Neither does this due to leaks and most people getting the Pokemon news they want from it via fan websites. This isn't 1999 when the internet was young and your main source of info was still printed media. The internet has become such a behemoth of information and a news outlet its efficiently killing off magazines and newspapers (which is sad, but at the same time its up to these companies to keep pace and adapt. Printed media's only place now is mainly in storytelling entertainment (which itself is being threatened by portable technology and streaming) and historical recording).

So, is The Pokémon Company trying to tell us fans what they think we want to hear about the new Pokeymans, rather than acknowledging that their precious information was already leaked? If we get the English names tomorrow, that will be a nice birthday present, since all of my real-world friends are busy. If not, that's cool as well.
Oh they've always done that, in particular with the Mythical Pokemon. Games are released, datamined, Mythical Pokemon are discovered, and GF and Pokemon Company act as they don't exist until they officially release them. In a day where DLC is a thing (and hey, if they want to do a third version they could under the claim its the "Complete Version" with all the DLC).

I feel this is a topic we go through every single time we have new games, or CoroCoro reveals a new event Pokemon we've known about for years.
As usual, you need to keep in mind who the magazine is aimed for, that is, children. Children, who for a large part, don't use the internet (Which may or may not be how things are over here). It's not meant for people who get to know all this as soon as it's relevant.
To a degree, this also applies to kids over here, who don't necessarily know about various fansites, and rely on official outlets on this.
My point is, the reason there is such fanfare for something we always get our hands on earlier than we should is because we are not the target audience, who, for the most part, DOESN'T get that information.
You're kidding right? Kids are among the most adaptable when it comes to the internet and new technology.

What will Sun and Moon be released for? The 3DS. And what is built into the 3DS? A internet browser.

Do people really use this ? :v4:
...I have...
My real point is that the majority of kids that Sun and Moon are aimed at do have a device to look things up on. And that's not even considering the fact that I've lost track of how many kids I've seen walking around with tablets.

It is one of many dark places one retreats to in the case of a broken laptop.
Whatever happened to cellphones?

Still, kids have way too many ways to get to the internet. We should stop thinking like the old guys we are and took a while before even getting to internet for the first time.

Whatever happened to cellphones?

Still, kids have way too many ways to get to the internet. We should stop thinking like the old guys we are and took a while before even getting to internet for the first time.
Phone was terrible.
... and/or also broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)