Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

I hope this is the right place to put this but I'm trying to get into competitive pokemon what's the best way to get started is it just to practice building teams and doing battles on showdown for experience

Ikey - The best way to start imo is getting a sample team or if you want I could make you a team if you got a specific mon you want to use and just getting practice on pokemon showdown

kek123 ive built a team I think is ok it consists of

Mega medicham
Thunder punch
Fake out
Ice punch
High jump kick
Jolly
252spe/ 252 att/ 4 sp def

Heatran
Flash fire
Leftovers
Stealth rock
Will o wisp
Magma storm
Earth power
Calm
252sp def/252 hp / 4 sp att

Starmie
Natural cure
Leftovers
Scale
Ice beam
Rapid spin
Recover
Timide
252speed/252 sp atta/ sp set

Latios
Levitiate
Life orb
Psyshock
Draco meteor
Surf
Thunder bolt
Timid
252 speed/ 252 sp atta/ 4 sp set

Breloom
Technician
Choice scarf
Bullet seed
Facade
Drain punch
Brick break
Jolly
252spe/252atta/4 sp set

Skarmory
Sturdy
Rocky helmet
Brave bird
Roost
Spikes
Roar
Impish
236def/248hp/24speed
Do you have any suggestions to improve my team

that is a very good team if that your first team in fact I made a team very similar to it recently so if you want to use it fell free
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

But if you want to stay to your own team I suggest theses changes

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- High Jump Kick

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Recover

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

I'll try to now go through all the changes 1 I made mega medi adamant because it benfits more from the power of adamant the the speed of jolly 2 heatran the speed it to out speed mega venusuar suicune mandabuzz and I have toxic because it ment to deal with special treats and toxic is better for then it also help stall break 3 starmie has been changed to keldeo because keldeo is generally the best specially offensive pokemon and becuase ive put hazard removal on latios 4 latios 4 attack latios isnt good so ive just put two stabs on with recover which is to help walling treats like keldeo better and defog for hazard removal 5 breloom isnt generally a good scarf and lando-t scarf provides a semi answer to excadrill and it a better scarfer last clefable clef provides move speed control with thunder wave and provides a win con in calm mind and the ev spread ive use lets it some what check mega daincie hope this helps! :)

Why is mega latios banned in the Viability rankings discussion, is it just entirely outclassed but mega latias? it has stronger Physical defense and Special Attack.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Why is mega latios banned in the Viability rankings discussion, is it just entirely outclassed but mega latias? it has stronger Physical defense and Special Attack.
It's banned because it is outclassed by Life Orb Latios. Life Orb Latios is more powerful than Mega Latios and it also doesn't take up your Mega slot. In general there is just no reason whatsoever to use Mega Latios.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What boxofkangaroos said, but also because whenever it is brought up it completely derails the VR thread. That said there are reasons to use it, just that they are almost never worth giving up your mega slot for.

What boxofkangaroos said, but also because whenever it is brought up it completely derails the VR thread. That said there are reasons to use it, just that they are almost never worth giving up your mega slot for.
May i ask here for the reasons to use it over LO Latios? Not speculating about its ranking , i kist want to knw its good sets since i put him on my team and i dont know if my scizor should be mega or my latios.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
May i ask here for the reasons to use it over LO Latios? Not speculating about its ranking , i kist want to knw its good sets since i put him on my team and i dont know if my scizor should be mega or my latios.
Basically the reduced KOff damage, lack of LO recoil and slightly better bulk at the cost of firepower. I think its EQ is slightly stronger but don't quote me on that as I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering that right. Other than that you'd run it like regular LO Latios or I guess CM although 99% of the time ur prolly better with Latias if CM.

Make Scizor ur mega.

GOthee - just use mega scizor it the best mega in the OU tier no question and also mega latios has to be the worst mega in the tier just use mega scizor

Ok so on a special sweeper Serperior (max Speed, SpA, Timid, Life Orb, Contrary [obviously]), I'm at a loss of a final move. I already have Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, and Hidden Power Fire. Good suggestions for a last move??

Ok so on a special sweeper Serperior (max Speed, SpA, Timid, Life Orb, Contrary [obviously]), I'm at a loss of a final move. I already have Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, and Hidden Power Fire. Good suggestions for a last move??
Glare, Substitute, Taunt, it's pretty much what your team needs more.

Good afternoon, community, I am trying to get better as a player at the game. However, sometimes I wonder if I am doing something wrong. My ladder rank on average is a mid 1500 to low 1600 so an average player at best. So I expect players to know what is important to their team in order to win or not let mons on my team sweep. But I keep seeing players sack their wincons or sack mons that checks mons that 6-0s their team. For example this replay please read the chat carefully did I make the right play or am I an idiot? No offense to my opponent at all but I need to know if I am excepting too much or am I reading the game properly. Normally I would ignore this, call it a bad play, and move on but again I need to know.

Thank you

I woulda just clicked your fire stab (Magma Storm im assuming?) because if he stayed in, Diancie did some work after having its main check weakened/gone, and weakening the keldeo wouldve been nice for weavile, which was a big threat to his team (rotom woulda been blown away if it came in too). I think he was making a tryhard play, predicting you to go into your latios on his possible switch to keldeo, but it was a bad play overall imo.

Good afternoon, community, I am trying to get better as a player at the game. However, sometimes I wonder if I am doing something wrong. My ladder rank on average is a mid 1500 to low 1600 so an average player at best. So I expect players to know what is important to their team in order to win or not let mons on my team sweep. But I keep seeing players sack their wincons or sack mons that checks mons that 6-0s their team. For example this replay please read the chat carefully did I make the right play or am I an idiot? No offense to my opponent at all but I need to know if I am excepting too much or am I reading the game properly. Normally I would ignore this, call it a bad play, and move on but again I need to know.

Thank you
Solar Beaming like that was not the optimal play IMO. Generally you want to get a reading of your opponent's tendencies before making big plays, especially in this particular case since Power Herb Solar Beam can only be used once. He could have just as easily switched to Latios (they can carry Earthquake) and you would have still been in a miserable position. Magma Storm is generally much safer to spam during the early phases of the game, as even resists don't appreciate the constant chip damage and trapping effect.

So I saw Kyurem-B was in OU, but why not Rayquaza? Ray seems to be like a Salamence with a bit more diversity. But with OP fairies everywhere especially Clefable and Diancie I don't see Ray overcentralizing the meta, but I'm new so any explanation would be nice, thanks.

So I saw Kyurem-B was in OU, but why not Rayquaza? Ray seems to be like a Salamence with a bit more diversity. But with OP fairies everywhere especially Clefable and Diancie I don't see Ray overcentralizing the meta, but I'm new so any explanation would be nice, thanks.
Kyurem-B is only manageable because of its lack of reliable physical STAB to use off of its colossal 170 attack stat. Rayquaza on the other hand has Dragon Ascent, an insanely spammable move with great coverage and negligible drawbacks. Rayquaza also gets two extremely powerful boosting moves (Swords Dance and Dragon Dance), powerful coverage options Kyurem-B could only dream of such as Earthquake and V-Create, the best priority move in the game in Extreme Speed... the list just goes on and on. Rayquaza would be completely uncounterable if it was ever allowed in OU.

Ikey the more you play the better you will get , predicting lead match and things like that come with experience and long with predicting switch and double switching. Also long with player you can also watch other people play to get better and watching people on youtube or going on to the replay of a good battler although watching tournament play it first inst advised .Also feel free to ask me any other question i'm happy to help :)

I watch the battle and other than a few misplays I was impressed with how you handled it that well with the team not doing to well with Mega metagross although switch keldeo into it was a bit wired xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)