Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Yeah, tbh I kinda want Zapdos to get Hurricane too. At one point I thought the absence of Hurricane in it's movepool compared to the other two birds meant it was gonna get Aeroblast since Entei got Sacred Fire... but it wasn't meant to be I guess.

Also sorry if I came across as a dick
Aeroblast would be nice, too. Also because it really doesn't fit Lugia's theme (but more on this later).

And no, you didn't come across as a dick =) this discussion was far more civil than most discussions found on the Internet.

Back on Aeroblast. I'm not sure if it counts as a movepool oddity, but Aeroblast is by far the oddest Legendary signature move. Most if not all of legendary signature moves reflect their bearers' theme quite well, however Aeroblast isn't really the best move for Lugia. I get the connection with storms and all and the Pokédex saying how strong Lugia's wings are but it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's just because Lugia has such a low Special Attack for a cover legend.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah, tbh I kinda want Zapdos to get Hurricane too. At one point I thought the absence of Hurricane in it's movepool compared to the other two birds meant it was gonna get Aeroblast since Entei got Sacred Fire... but it wasn't meant to be I guess.
Why would Zapdos only get Aeroblast? If any of the birds go Aeroblast I'd imagine it would be in an event where all of them got it. Entei being the only beast to get Sacred Fire makes sense since it was the only Fire-type of the trio. Plus Hurricane is still better for Zapdos because of the whole Thunder + Hurricane perfect accuracy in rain thing.

Back on Aeroblast. I'm not sure if it counts as a movepool oddity, but Aeroblast is by far the oddest Legendary signature move. Most if not all of legendary signature moves reflect their bearers' theme quite well, however Aeroblast isn't really the best move for Lugia. I get the connection with storms and all and the Pokédex saying how strong Lugia's wings are but it just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe it's just because Lugia has such a low Special Attack for a cover legend.
I'd say that was probably due to the time it was released in, Gen II. It's still the early days of Pokemon and the main demographic were kids who like flashy attacks, no kid wants to sit around increasing their Pokemon's defense. This was also a time when competitive battling also wasn't that much of a thing. So even though they made Lugia a wall they made its Signature move an attack to awe the kiddies (especially for those watching the movie) and hey, it was still a powerful attack on Lugia. Things changed of course and now while we have Legendaries getting moves according to their role like Cresselia and Xerneas, Lugia's Signature Attack sticks out as a reminder of simpler times when it wasn't adults looking for competitive viability but kids looking for something cool and flashy. Though nowadays maybe it would hurt to give Lugia a second Signature Move that helps with walling (and I guess to be fair to Ho-Oh it can get another one too).

While not as odd as Lugia "the wall" getting a Signature attacking move. I also find these Signature moves strange though they do fit with their Pokemon's theme:

Kadabra/Alakazam: Kinesis (when we think of Signature move we probably think of a stronger than usually move the sole learner wouldn't be caught without. Kinesis reminds us that isn't the case. It only increases Accuracy by 1 stage. Not only is that weak, it's also useless as it would only be useful for Focus Blast)
Exeggcute family: Barrage (giving a Grass/Psychic Special attacker a Normal-type, Physical multis-strike move which is weak even among other multi-strike moves. Why? Just why?)
Makuhita family: Smelling Salt (no idea why it isn't Fighting-type)
Latios & Latias: Mist Ball & Luster Purge (respectively)(while no bad moves overall, just why the weak Power? At least put the on par with Psyshock if not Psychic. To me a Signature move is a move you'd want on a Pokemon instead of another it would normally have)
Deoxys: Psycho Boost (while a great move, but only for Special offensive Deoxys. If you're a Physical focused of defensive Deoxys you're out of luck. And considering Deoxys gimmick of radically changing forms this stands out to me compared to other Signature moves for mixed attackers)
Victini: V-Create (WHY YOU NO LEARN OUTSIDE ORIGINAL EVENT!? Seriously, just have the Move Tutor that teach Keldeo and Meloetta it's Signature Move teach it to Victini)
Oshawott family: Razor Shell (while technically not a Signature move, it's still mostly related to the Oshawott family. While not major, it's odd that the Oshawott family, despite using shells as swords and their "Signature Move" being a Physical attack, they have a slightly higher Special Attack stat)
Zorua family: Night Daze (a perfectly fine attack, but sort of goes against Zorua's family's gimmick. If you use it while Zorua or Zoroark are still disguised you just revealed you're a Zorua or Zoroark. But that means while disguised you're either limited to 3 moves if you want to have Night Daze. Shouldn't its Signature Attack also follow the gimmick, like it using a random move of the Pokemon Zorua or Zoroark is currently imitating (and then turns to a normal attack once the Illusion is broke)?)
Greninja: Water Shuriken (same deal as the Oshawott family with Razor Shell. Greninja has a higher Special Attack but one of its Signature Move and only Signature Attack is a Physical one. And like Barrage, compared to other multi-hit moves its not that good (though its oddly the only Special multi-hit move))

And now for a true oddity (at least since Gen IV):

Vacuum Wave: Originally a Signature Move for Hitmonchan in Gen III, there it was useful as it was a Physical attack because moves back then went on type to categorize them. But then Gen IV came and have moves category based on flavor, and they decided to make Vacuum Wave a Special move. This has pretty much made it useless to most Pokemon who get it. Since Vacuum Wave is about punching so hard the wind movement hurts the opponent (yet not powered up by Iron Fist, heck, I say it also fits Mega Launcher criteria since in Japan Aura Sphere is called "Wave Bomb") only Pokemon who you can see with that much arm strength can learn it... which are all Physical attackers with low Special Attack. To be fair there are some Pokemon who can make use of it, Riolu gets it from breeding (though since most Lucario are Physical they'd rather get Bullet Punch) and in HGSS it a was a Tutor Move letting Mew, Combusken/Blaziken, Meditite family, and Chimchar family learn it (though aside from Mew they all would prefer Physical movesets, and Mew has a lot of other Moves it would rather have). I think they should consider just looking through Special Attackers, seeing which one has hands/fist and give them Vacuum Wave just so this move could have some purpose.
EDIT:
It was his signature move in Diamond and Peral only because it didn't exist in Gen III. Needless to say, that makes it even weirder.

Last edited:
Why would Zapdos only get Aeroblast? If any of the birds go Aeroblast I'd imagine it would be in an event where all of them got it. Entei being the only beast to get Sacred Fire makes sense since it was the only Fire-type of the trio. Plus Hurricane is still better for Zapdos because of the whole Thunder + Hurricane perfect accuracy in rain thing.
Idea being that only one of the beasts got Sacred Fire, so 'naturally' only one of the birds would get Aeroblast. And then the aforementioned oddity with Moltres and Articuno getting Hurricane but not Zapdos, it just made sense to me at the time.
... plus, it would be cool for Zapdos to get it because that would be so good.

Well the only quadruped that can learn Close Combat is the Swords of Justice, Xerneas, and Growlithe (via breeding).

For the Swords of Justice and Xerneas I can see them maybe using their horns to furiously slash and stab the opponent. As for the Growlithe family, I can only assume charging into and biting, slashing, maybe even trampling.
I can see them rearing on their hind legs and bringing their hooves slamming down on their opponents, or using their back hooves:

It can be devastating. And I'm sure the Swords of Justice and Xerneas are just as accurate. Don't know about Growlithe, though.

Stupid theory, but the Latis getting Surf may be referencing the 5th movie.

For those that don't remember, the backstory of the movie was that some evil guy attacked the city of Alto Mare with a Kabutops and Aerodactyl. The OG Latios that later became the Soul Dew stopped the evilness by bringing water to the hood in order to drown the two fossils, which also turned the streets into canals. I guess this is kinda similar to using Surf? (the Lati twins also use they psychic powers to stop a tsunami later in the movie, so I guess they do have some control over water?)

How they swim and use Waterfall and Dive is still fucked.

I can see them rearing on their hind legs and bringing their hooves slamming down on their opponents, or using their back hooves:

It can be devastating. And I'm sure the Swords of Justice and Xerneas are just as accurate. Don't know about Growlithe, though.
I guess that can explain the matter fairly well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Stupid theory, but the Latis getting Surf may be referencing the 5th movie.

For those that don't remember, the backstory of the movie was that some evil guy attacked the city of Alto Mare with a Kabutops and Aerodactyl. The OG Latios that later became the Soul Dew stopped the evilness by bringing water to the hood in order to drown the two fossils, which also turned the streets into canals. I guess this is kinda similar to using Surf? (the Lati twins also use they psychic powers to stop a tsunami later in the movie, so I guess they do have some control over water?)

How they swim and use Waterfall and Dive is still fucked.
Also they're based on jets. I can imagine them speeding along like a water scooter while in the water (they do look very aerodynamic). Same idea for Waterfall and Dive, they just either aim up the Waterfall (helps they can fly) or down for Dive (which at that point they turn into a sub).

Could maybe also be a reference to how when a jet gets close to water the water underneath spreads a bit due to the air the jet is cutting through.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Breloom

Breloom's dex descriptions:
Ruby & Omega Ruby said:
Breloom closes in on its foe with light and sprightly footwork, then throws punches with its stretchy arms. This Pokémon's fighting technique puts boxers to shame.
DPP & Gen V said:
Its short arms stretch when it throws punches. Its technique is equal to that of pro boxers.
Anime depiction of stretchy arms:

However Breloom doesn't learn the following moves. I've also included the way the move is described:

Vine Whip: "The target is struck with slender, whiplike vines to inflict damage."
Power Whip: "The user violently whirls its vines or tentacles to harshly lash the target."
Double Hit: "The user slams the target with a long tail, vines, or tentacle. The target is hit twice in a row."
Slam: "The target is slammed with a long tail, vines, etc., to inflict damage."
Poison Jab: "The target is stabbed with a tentacle or arm seeped with poison. It may also poison the target."
Bind: "Things such as long bodies or tentacles are used to bind and squeeze the target for four to five turns."
Constrict: "The target is attacked with long, creeping tentacles or vines. It may also lower the target's Speed stat."

While I don't see Breloom being the grappling type that would use Bind and Constrict, those other moves I could perfectly see it using including Power Whip and Poison Jab.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
look at breloom's face good god. poor noibat
You think those still images are bad here's a video clip of them fighting, Breloom is pretty brutal against Noibat who in the episode at worst accidentally crushed some flowers it was planning on giving a Floette it had a crush on. The fight is also a good example of how stretchy Breloom's arms are:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Zubat...

Stadium: It has neither eyes nor a nose. It emits ultrasonic cries that bounce back to its large ears, enabling it to fly safely.
Emerald: While living in pitch-black caverns, their eyes gradually grew shut and deprived them of vision. They use ultrasonic waves to detect obstacles.
FireRed: It has no eyes. Instead, it relies on its ultrasonic cries for echo location to flit about in darkness.
Has no eyes nor nose.

1. It learns Mean Look.
2. It's also affected by Moves & Abilities that would require being able to see and smell such as Confuse Ray, Flash, Mean Look, Sweet Scent, & Stench.

DPP/BW/X Pokedex Entry: "It whittles its constantly growing fangs by gnawing on hard things. It can chew apart cinder walls."
It has two signature moves, one of them a STAB attack, that make use of its fangs.
Guess how many of the elemental fangs it can use?

Zero.
Speaking of Raticate, it and Rattata are the only non-Fire types to learn Flame Wheel, which they've gotten as an egg move since Breeding's introduction in 2nd gen. Note that many odd egg moves from 2nd gen like that were removed when 3rd gen rolled around(like Water Gun Phanpy, which at least made sense flavor-wise being an elephant)

Zubat...

Has no eyes nor nose.

1. It learns Mean Look.
2. It's also affected by Moves & Abilities that would require being able to see and smell such as Confuse Ray, Flash, Mean Look, Sweet Scent, & Stench.
Perhaps it has eyespots that are sensitive to light. As for the no nose, I have nothing.
Speaking of Raticate, it and Rattata are the only non-Fire types to learn Flame Wheel, which they've gotten as an egg move since Breeding's introduction in 2nd gen. Note that many odd egg moves from 2nd gen like that were removed when 3rd gen rolled around(like Water Gun Phanpy, which at least made sense flavor-wise being an elephant)
I'm going to guess that Flame Wheel is a reference to running in a mouse wheel, but instead, this one is a thousand times more awesome because they're running on one made of flames.

What I find weird is the distribution of recover. Okay so it's the user regenerating cells. This makes sense for Pokemon with regenerative properties like Ho-oh (pheonix) and Starmie (Starfish have amazing regenerative capabilities). However, both Magcargo and Gastrodon can learn this via level up despite being slugs/snails that are incapable of regeneration. They probably fit into the Avalugg/Porgygon category of bodies made of unnatural materials, so they can freeze, absorb, or rebuild materials. If this is the case, why don't the Muk and Goodra lines get Recover as well? The Regis being made out of natural materials should also get it (well maybe not Registeel). Ho-oh, Corsola, and Reuniclus are also the only regenerator users who get Recover. The Slowpoke line gets a pass as Slack off is better flavor wise, and Recover would be redundant. Everything else should get it.

Ho-oh, Corsola, and Reuniclus are also the only regenerator users who get Recover. The Slowpoke line gets a pass as Slack off is better flavor wise, and Recover would be redundant. Everything else should get it.
Too be fair Ho-oh and Corsola had Recover many generations before they ever had access to Regenerator, and because they are their hidden abilities for all of them(even Reuniclus) the large majority of them don't have access to that ability anyways.

I think Sunny Day's distribution has to do with its Japanese name, Clear Sky. You are just clearing out the weather.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think Sunny Day's distribution has to do with its Japanese name, Clear Sky. You are just clearing out the weather.
A lot of random shit like Slowbro and Steelix get it. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason for what can learn it.

A lot of random shit like Slowbro and Steelix get it. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason for what can learn it.
I know Slowpoke is weirdly related to the weather. At least that's what Pokemon Channel taught me with the way it can accurate predict the weather if you give him like 20 minutes to get there, potentially fall asleep, and act derpy before he does his prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)