Bastille Day Terrorist Attack Thread

This is a thread for info and grief about a terrorist attack currently happening in Nice.

A truck accelerated into a large crowd, and shots were fired from it.

Death toll is rising, already above 50.

Embassy numbers are being posted in that thread which should be helpful for many people.

For now I can only express condolences for the victims and their families.

EDIT: The Islamic State has claimed responsibility.

EDIT 2: Currently 76 dead.

Last edited:
Again. Wow. R.I.P.

This sucks. Death toll is 77 (number will be updated). Guns and grenades were found in the truck too.

At least the truck driver is dead. Lockdown in Nice too.

Last edited:
Truly a tragedy

Let's give our condolences to those who have died as a result of this terrorist attack

What I do not understand is why radical Islamists do not even come to consider that their actions may make their victims martyrs across the world (but then again, I do not understand the mind of a religious extremist)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What I do not understand is why radical Islamists do not even come to consider that their actions may make their victims martyrs across the world (but then again, I do not understand the mind of a religious extremist)
in their mind they are the martyr

what are their goals exactly? uniting sunni muslims? establishing their territory? showing their power? eliminating others who disagree with them, spreading their message with force? all they're doing is repeating the evil practices of past and future groups/leaders and creating even more animosity towards their religion. how long will it take for our world leaders to effectively eliminate this threat? its bad enough that countries all around the world have do deal with so much, like debt, trash gov't practices, and war, among others (progress in 3rd world countries still seems to be slow, at least for the unfortunate, destitute inhabitants), we dont need a murderous group killing people around the world too.

and on a national day too so sad rip

what are their goals exactly? uniting sunni muslims? establishing their territory? showing their power? eliminating others who disagree with them, spreading their message with force? all they're doing is repeating the evil practices of past and future groups/leaders and creating even more animosity towards their religion. how long will it take for our world leaders to effectively eliminate this threat? its bad enough that countries all around the world have do deal with so much, like debt, trash gov't practices, and war, among others (progress in 3rd world countries still seems to be slow, at least for the unfortunate, destitute inhabitants), we dont need a murderous group killing people around the world too.

and on a national day too so sad rip
Basically they're batshit crazy psychopaths slaughtering innocent people under the guise of Islam. Some may say otherwise but remember that they attacked the resting place of the Prophet Mohammed in the holy Islam city of Medina during the holy month of Ramadan.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a friend who lives in lebanon, who was brought up muslim and is surrounded by muslims, but also has been interacting with "the west" through the internet for a long time, so he's familiar with both.

One thing he pointed out was that, comparing the west to the middle east, the west is far less religious on average, and so because of that, the west's culture assumes that there must always be an ulterior motive behind something. He compares this to the middle east, which is poor as dirt (besides the few rich oil princes), and in general religion is much stronger in cultures that are poorer. (This is similar to the philippines, which I've visited, which felt like they take their christianity much more seriously than the majority west does, and it's also a poor country)

His argument is that in these poor countries, people flock more to religion as a source of hope, to help give their lives meaning and purpose. Whereas in richer countries like the west, it's much easier to get out of poverty, support yourself, and accomplish what you want in life without turning to blind faith.

So for most of these people in the middle east, there is no ulterior motive like you mentioned. They just believe in their religion really really strongly, and when you have a religion that says things like "all non believers must perish" and "if you die while killing non believers, you will be cleared of all sin and get into heaven" and paint a picture about how wonderful heaven is, you've basically got a recipe for something resembling jihad -- their version of the crusades.

I thought that was interesting so I wanted to share it.
Disclaimer: this is his opinion and not my own

Just...unbelievable. I just don't know what could possess someone to do something like that. Take religion, politics and race out of the equation, and you are killing people who've never lifted a finger to harm you. It's absolutely disgraceful. My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

Islam is a serious problem in the world. It teaches you that your people are sacred, and anyone who has a different lifestyle is an infidel who deserves to die. You hear it said that most Muslims are decent people, and I'm sure that's true, because most people are decent people. But if 1% of Muslims are terrorists, that means there's roughly 16 million Muslims out there willing to slaughter innocent people in their droves for their god.

The world would be a much better place without religion. I've never heard a convincing argument for why it wouldn't be.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Ah jeez, not another one of these. My condolesences to every family who has been hurt by this event, this is just awful.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The fact that this is still happening just leaves me disgusted and speechless. It's just so medieval. My condolences to the victims and their families.

Ugh! Again?! What is it with ISIS, and attacking the City of Love (or anywhere else in the country for that matter)? And I guess this will debunk the idea that banning assault rifles (or any guns for that matter) in the U.S. will prevent mass deaths here as well. Seems they can just steal one of our over-sized SUVs, and mow us down.

And as much as we might wish the dead to RIP, I suspect that cafe is going to end up haunted, given the horrific, violent carnage that this individual just committed. I hope that I'm wrong about, well everything in this post, but who am I kidding? This does not start a good precedent, in any way, shape or form.

I have heard rumors that the attacker was actually was a depressed or mentally ill man, with a history of crimes and the whole thing was a murder/suicide? I found one article saying that he was depressed after being divorced, but I heard someone saying that it wasn't a terrorist attack at all and ISIS claimed it like every other attack.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...river-who-killed-84-on-french-riviera-was-cr/
Well, the guy might have just given ISIS and any sympathizers an idea.

It seems that everyone is just loosing their minds this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)