ORAS OU Zard Y HO peak 1833 (so far)

Hello, everyone!

So, yeah, this team is pretty straight forward and yet, it has some beautiful gimmicks that make it awesome and really fun to use.
I chose to build around Zard Y cause it is somewhat a forbidden threat, it absolutely destroys stall once you get rid of chansey, it has great potential all in all and it is a nice antimeta mon.
Anyway, here is a proof of peak:

This is the Squad:

Zard Y needs pursuit support. I decided Weavile was the way to go.

Next, I wanted to lure Chansey to absolutely destroy stall. Lately, I've been running this jesus called mixed Thundurus. It is amazing, best chansey lure in the game for sure. So antimeta it's not even fun. I went with that.

As for a rocker, I wanted something fast that could taunt other leads, being also able to hit hard. Terrakion came to mind.

Zard also appreciates hazard removal. I wanted a late-game cleaner, as well as something to help me beat fairies (as if Zard wasn't enough). Ergo, Driller.

To put everything together, I added the beast, the thing that can do everything, can fill any roll, and is a solid anti-meta mon.

Ok, now, the individual analysis:

Agem Drazirahc (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge
We start of with gimmick stuff: Flame Charge EQ Zard Y. Honestly, you don't need focus blast at all. EQ is so more reliable and destroys Heatran. Once Tran has been worn down just a little, or if you predict the switch, you are good to go.
4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 284-336 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
As for Flame Charge, people absolutely start to cry when I set up Zard. They think "Ok, Scarf Lando revenges, let me Sac my Scizor really quick". And they couldn't be more wrong.
Honestly, this thing destroys balance and fat stuff, cause it hits so hard, being able to 1hko Slowbro after Rocks with Solar Beam, 2hko Heatran and not rely on luck etc. You got the idea. Next.

I Dream Of (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Chansey is a problem and I don't run focus blast for TTar. Hence mixed Thundurus, the best freaking antimeta mon ever. Honestly, I don't remember anything but Clef and Ferrothorn (and Jolteon, once) being able to switch into thundurus and not getting 2hko - Clef can barely do so with 2 tbolts. Knock off gets rid of annoying scarfs on the switch and, most important, chansey's eviolite. I mean, so many chanseys have died/fainted switching into Thundurus. So many. That coverage is ridiculous, that's all i have to say.

Sephiroth (Weavile) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
Reliable pursuiter? Check. Priority? Check. Crazy high speed? Check. Great offensive typing? Check. No much to say here, standard set, helps me wearing stuff down so Zard can come in, force the switch and set up flame charge, as well as it gets rid of Lati. I do miss with Icicle Crash more often than with Focus Blast, but that's life.

Majin Boo (Mew) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Sucker Punch
Arguably the best movepool in OU and in the game (bar Smeargle), I present the Weavile/Bisharp destroyer, Mew.
That's right, Mew has acces to Vacuum Wave, which, you heard it right, can guarantee 1hko those 2 threats after rocks.
252+ SpA Expert Belt Mew Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Weavile: 221-264 (78.6 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Expert Belt Mew Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 259-307 (95.5 - 113.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Expert Belt gives a nice touch, Sucker Punch is to hit mostly Gengar, spinner Starmie and Torn-T (who likes to switch/stay in on Mew), Ice beam goes without saying (or does it =]), Fire blast for pesky Scizors, Ferrothorns and Skarmories. Some innovation, I present you the best Mew set ever, ladies and gentlemen.

Deus Ex (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
Standard scarf Driller. Next.
Just kidding.
Well, Driller is a reliable spinner, it wins the game 50% of the time when I get rid of opposing Lando's, can check Fairies well etc.
The set itself is standard, yes, so there isn't much to say, really, and I think that sums it up.

Loki (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
In the last spot, I needed rocks, I needed a lead, something to hit hard and a fast taunt user. Sash Terrakion does the job really well. Most of the time, when I don't lead Mew for gimmick purposes, Terrakion does his job well, stops other stuff from setting up right away, such as M-Ttar and Zard X, can deal damage to Lando and so on. STAB coverage with CC and Edge.

Water types in general, such as Manaphy and mainly Keldeo can be problematic. Scarf Keldeo outspeeds every mon in the team, whereas Specs hits hard and and is only checked by Thundurus and +1 Zard.

I have lost a million times to triple sash team (chomp, breloom, bisharp, talon, starmie and diancie).

Talon is hard. Zard can take a hit and Driller and Thundurus check it.

I can see AV conk destroys this team, though I have never faced it yet.

Lopunny outspeeds everyone, though Zard can take a hit and retaliate, mew can take it down if its below 40.

Overall look

All in all, this teams works fine.
+1 speed Zard is so hard to play around, people get crazy trying.
Thundurus isn't around that much to twave Zard, nor is Klefki.
Anyway, I really enjoy this team, even if people switch like crazy and play around Zard, it is funny to see them trying, going from Hetran to Gliscor or so.
Anyway, feel free to try the team out and to rate it, but keep in mind that the gimmick is part of the team, cause it really isn't cool to see suggestions like "hey, run FIRE BLAST, FOCUS BLAST, SOLAR BEAM AND ROOST ON ZARD".
That said, I say farewell!

Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge

Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Majin Boo (Mew) @ Expert Belt
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Sucker Punch

Deus Ex (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Loki (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
interesting team you've got here. there isn't rly much ways to fix HO and make it better since it's more of a break or be broken type of playstyle so what I will suggest is just some ways to stitch up your weaknesses that you've mentioned as well as some more probable issues.

right off the bat, I honestly think dd > flame charge is a way more efficient way to play this variant of zard. why? simply because it is able to not only 1. get +1 in attack which ensure the 2hko on tran becomes a 1hko, it also 2. masks the fact that you are a zard y. considering that zard y and zard x have completely different switch ins, being able to bluff your opponent into switching in their landos, only to have you mega evolve and burn the living daylights out of them with fire blast makes this just a more win option compared to flame charge.

staying on zard, i think that perhaps flamethrower over fire blast is a better option considering that if you want to use a pseudo set up mon, i think that consistency would end up being a lot more efficient in the long run. considering that mild zard y with +1 speed hits 448 speed so it's not that bad of an option to run mild + flamethrower over hasty + fire blast (also because fire blast actually has -0.01% accuracy so there's that)

one option i would suggest here as well is to run fast taunt tran over terrak. this is because it is not only a reliable rock setter, it gives you a switch in to talon (which previously you could only check) and it also helps a lot with matchups against a well played MSciz squad.

idw to touch the mew set because i think i'll end up burning my hand from all the heat that the set is giving out. but aft testing this squad, i personally don't see much merit in using mew over say specs keld because it deals with all the other mons that you mentioned before already and scarf drill ends up just shitting all over gengar unless there's the occasional subdisable gengar but you can easily play around that with weav using shard + knock off.

once again, interesting team and grats on the peak. hope you find my recommendations helpful /cheers/

Quoting some things from the post above, DD zardy is definitely a change I agree on. However, between the mild + flamethrower and hasty + fire blast I would actually opt to run hasty + flamethrower. Scarf exca is an excellent wincon and this combination is not only better in terms of consistency, but also removing lando if you care to look at some calcs:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 309-364 (96.8 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (OHKOs scarf lando after rocks)

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 309-364 (91.6 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (OHKOs offensive lando after rocks)

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 306-361 (80.1 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (50% chance to OHKO after rocks)

*In all these scenarios fire blast OHKO's w/o rocks but that's gambling vs the rng and that never ends well imo.

A hasty nature (+ speed / - defense) after +1 gives you 492 speed outspeeding scarf landorus sitting at 463. If you want to opt for more attack, 192 speed ev's (312, outspeeding base 92 mons at neutral i.e krookodile) hits 468 speed giving you an extra 60 ev's in invest in attack which after rocks OHKOs mega diancie and hits volcanions harder:
+1 60 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 218-258 (90.4 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 60 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

In regards to mega lopunny (as much as I don't want to make this change) a defensive colbur mew would immediately alleviate this problem (this set also lures in weavile and non-lum berry bisharp) while pressuring opposing keldeo's scald burns due to synchronize:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Mew: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Colbur Berry Mew: 144-172 (35.6 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Colbur Berry Mew: 164-192 (40.5 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mew @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Taunt / Defog / Volt Switch
- Psychic / Defog / Volt Switch

But if bulky waters and talon are that much of a problem, you can opt to run the same defensive mew set but add defog as a moveslot. This gives you the option to run physically defensive rotom-w > scarf exca. Rotom-w acts as a pivot by volt'ing out on bulky grass types i.e ferrothorn and bringing in the big threat zardy and instantly regaining the momentum. Phys def rotom-w and (assuming you change terrak to fast tran as noted above) tran provide you with two good checks to talon as well as giving you a nice defensive core to the team. Alongside with this change you can give thundurus u-turn > hidden power ice giving you a voltturn core as well since amoongus and bulky grass types like to come in on thundy where once again zardy comes in giving you the momentum.

good luck! (made an error in calculating EV's and zardy actually gets 64 EV's and not 60, should not affect the calcs too much though)

team:
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Dance

Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Majin Boo (Mew) @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Psychic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Hey man, this is not really a rate, but I just wanted to tell you that I've been playing with your team and I think it's really well built and fun to use :) The amount of surprise KO's I got with that Mew set is amazing, props for coming up with such a "heat" moveset!

Quoting some things from the post above, DD zardy is definitely a change I agree on. However, between the mild + flamethrower and hasty + fire blast I would actually opt to run hasty + flamethrower. Scarf exca is an excellent wincon and this combination is not only better in terms of consistency, but also removing lando if you care to look at some calcs:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 309-364 (96.8 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO (OHKOs scarf lando after rocks)

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 309-364 (91.6 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO (OHKOs offensive lando after rocks)

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T in Sun: 306-361 (80.1 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (50% chance to OHKO after rocks)

*In all these scenarios fire blast OHKO's w/o rocks but that's gambling vs the rng and that never ends well imo.

A hasty nature (+ speed / - defense) after +1 gives you 492 speed outspeeding scarf landorus sitting at 463. If you want to opt for more attack, 192 speed ev's (312, outspeeding base 92 mons at neutral i.e krookodile) hits 468 speed giving you an extra 60 ev's in invest in attack which after rocks OHKOs mega diancie and hits volcanions harder:
+1 60 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 218-258 (90.4 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 60 Atk Mega Charizard Y Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 204-240 (67.7 - 79.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

In regards to mega lopunny (as much as I don't want to make this change) a defensive colbur mew would immediately alleviate this problem (this set also lures in weavile and non-lum berry bisharp) while pressuring opposing keldeo's scald burns due to synchronize:
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Mew: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Colbur Berry Mew: 144-172 (35.6 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Colbur Berry Mew: 164-192 (40.5 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mew @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Taunt / Defog / Volt Switch
- Psychic / Defog / Volt Switch

But if bulky waters and talon are that much of a problem, you can opt to run the same defensive mew set but add defog as a moveslot. This gives you the option to run physically defensive rotom-w > scarf exca. Rotom-w acts as a pivot by volt'ing out on bulky grass types i.e ferrothorn and bringing in the big threat zardy and instantly regaining the momentum. Phys def rotom-w and (assuming you change terrak to fast tran as noted above) tran provide you with two good checks to talon as well as giving you a nice defensive core to the team. Alongside with this change you can give thundurus u-turn > hidden power ice giving you a voltturn core as well since amoongus and bulky grass types like to come in on thundy where once again zardy comes in giving you the momentum.

good luck! (made an error in calculating EV's and zardy actually gets 64 EV's and not 60, should not affect the calcs too much though)

team:
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Dance

Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Majin Boo (Mew) @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Psychic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
This team is pretty offensive, running something like defensive Mew puts a serious gap into the team's ability to maintain offensive pressure

Not to mention that something like Yache Berry Lando-T + Starmie would probably be more consistent than Mew + Rotom-W on offense

This team is pretty offensive, running something like defensive Mew puts a serious gap into the team's ability to maintain offensive pressure

Not to mention that something like Yache Berry Lando-T + Starmie would probably be more consistent than Mew + Rotom-W on offense
If you took a look at the set I slashed volt switch which in conjunction with thundy and rotomw gives a 3 mon voltturn core to keep the offensive pressure and momentum up. Using lando and starmie does not fix the issues he has with talonflame and strong waters. Defensive lando is set up fodder for sp def talon and with no reliable recovery gets worn down very quickly.

If you took a look at the set I slashed volt switch which in conjunction with thundy and rotomw gives a 3 mon voltturn core to keep the offensive pressure and momentum up. Using lando and starmie does not fix the issues he has with talonflame and strong waters. Defensive lando is set up fodder for sp def talon and with no reliable recovery gets worn down very quickly.
Except having a passive mon that is meant to be used on balance is NOT ideal for an offensive team. This team is meant to be used as a HO team, which can get away with lacking a noticeable amount of defensive capabilities.

Except having a passive mon that is meant to be used on balance is NOT ideal for an offensive team. This team is meant to be used as a HO team, which can get away with lacking a noticeable amount of defensive capabilities.
Yes this is a hyper offensive team, but do you just click x when you see a talonflame or a mega lopunny? I wouldn't consider mew a passive mon just because it isn't going to be sweeping teams. There are plenty of HO teams that have 'passive' mons. Just look at the most overused team on the ladder: bird spam. Azelf is solely used as the rocker and then it blows up. I don't see how mew is any different on this team (minus the blowing itself up part) as it acts moreso as a glue to patch up the weaknesses that would otherwise be exploited without him. Without defensive mew there is no opportunity for any of his 'HO' mons to sweep as mega lopunny just comes in spams frustration/HJK.

You can argue that explosion is able to do massive damage on a mon which is true, but it's really no different from abusing volt switch: your opponent brings in a mon knowing you're going to use explosion, but then you immediately have the momentum since now you can bring in any mon you want. The advantage of using volt switch is that you don't actually have to sac the mon and can abuse volt switch repeatedly though out the match.

Yes this is a hyper offensive team, but do you just click x when you see a talonflame or a mega lopunny? I wouldn't consider mew a passive mon just because it isn't going to be sweeping teams. There are plenty of HO teams that have 'passive' mons. Just look at the most overused team on the ladder: bird spam. Azelf is solely used as the rocker and then it blows up. I don't see how mew is any different on this team (minus the blowing itself up part) as it acts moreso as a glue to patch up the weaknesses that would otherwise be exploited without him. Without defensive mew there is no opportunity for any of his 'HO' mons to sweep as mega lopunny just comes in spams frustration/HJK.

You can argue that explosion is able to do massive damage on a mon which is true, but it's really no different from abusing volt switch: your opponent brings in a mon knowing you're going to use explosion, but then you immediately have the momentum since now you can bring in any mon you want. The advantage of using volt switch is that you don't actually have to sac the mon and can abuse volt switch repeatedly though out the match.
Azelf is used as a lead because all it does is set up rocks or screens before it is no longer needed. If leads were passive, then people would not have used them that often in DPP offense teams. Even in offensive teams, VoltTurn users are expected to

You obviously know little about the distinction between standard offense and hyper offense (let's try NOT to be condescending here). Under a standard offensive team, pivots like Rotom-W, Landorus-T, or other bulky Pokemon that are not flat-out walls but do not exert enough offensive pressure to be considered offensive Pokemon. Under HO, VoltTurn pivots are much more offensive in nature, and are substantially more reliant on offensive pressure than a standard offensive squad; Mew is not capable of fulfilling this without being outclassed. It matters not whether or not Mew carries Volt Switch, for Forretress can carry Volt Switch as well and it also would sap momentum from this team.

I will state though, that defensive Landorus-T is often the exception when it comes to HO squads, for it usually hits hard enough that it can exert enough pressure on offensive Pokemon. Offensive Landorus-T is usually seen on squads that pack multiple means to deal with Talonflame and other threats to offense, which this team does not have.

Hazard removers in particular can sap a large amount of momentum if they cannot exert much offensive pressure, which is why Defog Mega Scizor is not that common.

You also say defensive Landorus-T is set-up fodder for Specially Defensive Talonflame, but when is this team going to fall that easily to such a Talon anyways? Between Thundurus, my proposed Starmie, and use of offensive pressure to keep rocks on the field (which is how any HO works), Specially Defensive Talonflame is not going to be that problematic to this team.

This is also an RMT thread, not argue over whether or not Defog Mew fits on offense. If we are going to continue this discussion, let's leave this to PMs and not anywhere else.

Question for OP: What do you normally do against DD setup sweepers (Gyarados, Salamance) with this team? Just ran into two in a row and they outsped the whole team minus Excadrill (who just loses to pokes like this).

Question for OP: What do you normally do against DD setup sweepers (Gyarados, Salamance) with this team? Just ran into two in a row and they outsped the whole team minus Excadrill (who just loses to pokes like this).
The team is not suppose to let those mons set up for free. Everything in the team can deal heavy damage for something to revenge. Watch out when you spin or eq with Driller and you should be fine.

Love the movesets on this team! Looks really fun to play. But how does it really stop sand drill? Zard Y easily gets worn down without roost and sand drill kinda destroys everything after mons like mew or terrak are even slightly weakened.

I have a question, with Mew, why not run a full offensive 252 attack adamant set and use fire/ice punch instead of blast/ice beam mixed? Is the damage you'd miss out that significant on one of the more niche mons on the team?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)