Unpopular opinions

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ngl when I first found Goomy I thought it was poison but then got thrown off when it resisted a load of my attacks and i couldn't work out what type it was 'cause I had made the connection already

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I believe that Goodra should be Dragon-, Water- and Poison-type all together. A pseudolegendary would be a good Pokemon to start off the three-typed Pokemon trend.

But I don't want all those Pokemon that can Fly who aren't Flying-type the Flying-type. Then we'll have the x8 weak to Ice Flygon and the x8 weak to Rock Volcarona, which I feel is ridiculous.

I believe that Goodra should be Dragon-, Water- and Poison-type all together. A pseudolegendary would be a good Pokemon to start off the three-typed Pokemon trend.

But I don't want all those Pokemon that can Fly who aren't Flying-type the Flying-type. Then we'll have the x8 weak to Ice Flygon and the x8 weak to Rock Volcarona, which I feel is ridiculous.
I doubt Game Freak would ever let a 3-type Pokemon happen, aside from maybe 1 or 2 legendaries.
Three types on one 'mon would make a new player have to remember waaaay too much, and at the end of the day, having 3 types on a single Pokemon would change competitive battle... a lot. (And not in the good way)

Three types is just, ugh. No way do I want to remember that much type advantages and disadvantages, especially if it becomes a thing for most Pokemon (and not like the odd Legendary)

EDIT: Also wouldn't that let Stealth Rock OHKO Pokemon that'd be 8x weak to Rock?

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I doubt Game Freak would ever let a 3-type Pokemon happen, aside from maybe 1 or 2 legendaries.
Three types on one 'mon would make a new player have to remember waaaay too much, and at the end of the day, having 3 types on a single Pokemon would change competitive battle... a lot. (And not in the good way)
Three types is just, ugh. No way do I want to remember that much type advantages and disadvantages, especially if it becomes a thing for most Pokemon (and not like the odd Legendary)

EDIT: Also wouldn't that let Stealth Rock OHKO Pokemon that'd be 8x weak to Rock?
That is why my opinion is an unpopular one. I never see it happening

Although
It would be, at best, an ability that would say "This Pokemon is these three types" or "This Pokemon is also this type". I can see it happening in that form.
This could potentially happen. But I doubt it. At this stage, they may as well give the Pokemon the extra type without the ability.

That is why my opinion is an unpopular one. I never see it happening

Although

This could potentially happen. But I doubt it. At this stage, they may as well give the Pokemon the extra type without the ability.
Well technically they could potentially make Pokemon have two abilities at the same time but it won't happen.

I'd prefer that Flygon not get a mega-evolution. I think the desert mirage is perfect as is.

I really want that fake Pikachu Mon on my team once Sun and Moon come out.

Emboar's pretty cool now that I've gotten to know the Mon better.

I like Darmanitan's Zen Mode. I wish it was more usable.

Whitney wasn't so tough when I played HG/SS because I was cheap and evolved my Nidoran into a freakin' Nidoking

Reactions: JES
I'd prefer that Flygon not get a mega-evolution. I think the desert mirage is perfect as is.

I really want that fake Pikachu Mon on my team once Sun and Moon come out.

Emboar's pretty cool now that I've gotten to know the Mon better.

I like Darmanitan's Zen Mode. I wish it was more usable.

Whitney wasn't so tough when I played HG/SS because I was cheap and evolved my Nidoran into a freakin' Nidoking
I'm impartial to Flygon getting a mega. It'd be nice but if it doesn't it doesn't matter.

I dislike Emboar, mostly because Fire/Fighting typing for a starter thrice in a row. Let's hope Litten doesn't go the same way because that'd be so annoying.

Same. I think Zygarde 100% is basically Zen Mode done right.

Whitney's challenge comes from not knowing what she has. If you're a new player or you don't know what Whitney has, the Attract / Milk Drink / Scrappy Stomp will tear your team to shreds. If you know she's there you can prepare for her easily. You can trade a Drowzee for a Machop, get a Rock Type, bye Fire Blast if you chose Quilava etc etc.

On a similar note, this reminded me of how some people think Brock is hard if you chose Charmander, yet in the originals Charmander wins because all of Brock's Pokemon don't have a STAB attack and in FRLG Charmander has Metal Claw.

Whitney's challenge comes from not knowing what she has. If you're a new player or you don't know what Whitney has, the Attract / Milk Drink / Scrappy Stomp will tear your team to shreds. If you know she's there you can prepare for her easily. You can trade a Drowzee for a Machop, get a Rock Type, bye Fire Blast if you chose Quilava etc etc.
Yeah, I'd heard lots about Whitney, so I went in as crazy-overpowered as I could.

On a similar note, this reminded me of how some people think Brock is hard if you chose Charmander, yet in the originals Charmander wins because all of Brock's Pokemon don't have a STAB attack and in FRLG Charmander has Metal Claw.
On top of that, Ember's not even a bad move against Brock since Onix and Geodude have pretty lousy Special Defense. Ember'll get the job done without a whole lot of trouble.

One more possibly unpopular opinion: I want Cosplay Pikachu to stick around in the next generation, even though that probably won't happen.

On top of that, Ember's not even a bad move against Brock since Onix and Geodude have pretty lousy Special Defense. Ember'll get the job done without a whole lot of trouble.
Pretty much. Brock may as well not even be a Gym Leader. Even for the first boss of the game, you can't really lose to him unless you're really bad.

One more possibly unpopular opinion: I want Cosplay Pikachu to stick around in the next generation, even though that probably won't happen.
The only chance Cosplay-Pikachu has of staying around is if Gen VII have Pokemon Contests.

On the topic of contests, quite a few people seem to wish they don't stay around, but I actually really enjoy them. They give you something else to do other than battling and you can keep at it for quite a while. The ORAS contests also had something resembling a slight plotline so if they build on that kind of thing for Gen VII contests I think it could be great.

For me it's not that I don't like contests and want them to go away; it's that they're just so mindlessly simple with little depth. As soon as you've filled up your 'mon with rainbow Pokéblocks you've pretty much won and can click anything. I'd like there to be a little something more - I enjoyed the dancing minigame in Platinum, for instance.

I'd rather they do something special with Raichu. We had Spiky-Eared Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu. How about something for the overshadowed, fully evolved electric mouse (a Mega wouldn't hurt either)?
Game Freak won't stop throwing stuff at Pikachu for the forseeable future, I don't think they give a damn about Raichu.

Game Freak won't stop throwing stuff at Pikachu for the forseeable future, I don't think they give a damn about Raichu.
It'd be nice if they could give Pikachu the cosplay moves EDIT: via level up. Icicle Crash alone would be really nice for Raichu. It really irritates me that they go out of their way to try to make Pikachu better than Raichu. Who else would bet that SUN MOON SPOILERS won't be accessible by Raichu either?

It'd be nice if they could give Pikachu the cosplay moves EDIT: via level up. Icicle Crash alone would be really nice for Raichu. It really irritates me that they go out of their way to try to make Pikachu better than Raichu. Who else would bet that SUN MOON SPOILERS won't be accessible by Raichu either?
Do they regret making Raichu since it seems to always be in Pikachu's shadow, yet Raichu is better in everyway and Pikachu faints when another Pokemon so much as looks at it funny. I'm surprised they haven't removed Raichu yet.

It'll still take a while in RBY since Geodude and Onix resist all of Charmander's attacks (Normal and Fire).

... unless you're playing FRLG where they have Rock Tomb and can easily survive a couple non-STAB metal claws with their high defences :P
But you can grind in Viridian Forest a lot easier than the other two starters. Granted, grinding helps anything, but Charmander usually only has to be on the same level as Onix since Onix has such a pitiful attack stat even for early game. Also Geodude doesn't know Rock Tomb for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)