CAP 22 CAP 22 - Part 4 - Primary Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
  • Korski belabors the point (I'm sorry!)
DarkSlay is correct that activating the Toxic Orb before switching into status and Knock Off is a limitation we should be mindful of; I said as much in my original post and it bears repeating. However, I do not agree that it is so limiting as to discount the perpetual advantage Poison Heal provides for every turn thereafter. The cost of not switching directly into status or Knock Off, once, is pretty fair and affordable, imo, especially when it's in exchange for patching up multiple already-identified holes in our desired strategy with this CAP for the remainder of any given battle. Given an assumed offensive presence and the ability to switch into a few things that aren't Dark-types, I can imagine early-game moments where the CAP can survive a turn without getting the Toxic Orb plan ruined.

Poison Heal is a full status immunity + 12% HP gain for every turn except CAP's first turn in battle. This is as opposed to a 12-24% HP loss and dramatic loss of offensive presence for any time CAP is Burned, 6-18% HP loss from Toxic for any time CAP is Toxic Poisoned, 75% Speed drop + 25% full Para risk for any time CAP is Paralyzed, or an immediate hard switch for any turn CAP is Spored, should we go with Natural Cure (will not get into random Freezings). Or as opposed to Magic Bounce, it prevents Scald/Lava Plume Burns and Discharge Paralysis and it isn't Magic Bounce.

And, not to repeat myself too much (hopefully), Poison Heal is the only ability that allows CAP to simultaneously pivot into Dark-types and reliably utilize a held item. This is as opposed to every other ability under consideration. I don't even care about the lower damage from Knock Off after the Toxic Orb is removed; with the 4x resist, the difference between like 18% and 12% is negligible (although being able to recover nearly all of it back with Poison Heal renders Knock Off truly meaningless).

tl;dr - ignore this post if you hate Poison Heal (and if you hate Poison Heal, then love Natural Cure). I don't usually like to risk threadhogging with only two responses to my previous post but with the 24-hour warning I wanted to put down these final thoughts.
While these are great points that show that Poison Heal helps with our threatlist, the main issue I personally have with Poison Heal is that you have to stay in for the entire turn for Poison Heal to take an effect. When CAP22 forces a switch, it will have to decide whether to stay in and use the free turn to heal off some damage or use Parting Shot and not heal.

Also Trox, CAP22 isn't worried about Knock Off damage; instead it can act as a good absorber of Knock Off by means of typing. The fact that it can take Knock Off that well with those theoretical stats strengthens that argument anyways.

For anyone considering abilities that strengthen our matchup against Knock Off, I did a few Calcs with the strongest Knock Off in the game as the opponent: Adamant Choice Banded Adaptability Crawdaunt, with CAP22 having a Defense lowering nature. Also I did each Calc once with a held Item and once without one.
CAP22's stats for these calcs are purely hypothetical and not meant as a poll jump:

Base 90 HP, Base 50 Def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 158-187 (49.2 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 106-125 (33 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
Base 90 HP, Base 60 Def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 138-163 (42.9 - 50.7%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 93-109 (28.9 - 33.9%) -- 2% chance to 3HKO
Base 90 HP, Base 70 Def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 122-144 (38 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 82-97 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Base 90 HP, Base 80 Def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 110-130 (34.2 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 74-87 (23 - 27.1%) -- 57.3% chance to 4HKO
Base 90 HP, Base 90 Def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 100-118 (31.1 - 36.7%) -- 71.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 67-79 (20.8 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Base 90 HP, Base 100 Def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 91-108 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0- Def CAP22: 61-72 (19 - 22.4%) -- possible 5HKO

Looking at that, we can see that even a quite frail CAP22 is taking Knock Offs with ease.
Therefore I think, our best options as a primary ability right now are Natural Cure or Magic Bounce. Both of them were brought up a lot of times now, so I won't repeat that.
Korski's point about Knock Off was less about damage and more about what happens to our ability to utilize an item after the Knock off - certainly CAP 22 won't take much damage, but will its presence in the battle be limited by Knock Off? Korski is correct in saying that Poison heal is the best means to guarantee that our item has a permanent impact on the battle while simultaneously providing status immunity, and I'd say that decent passive healing could be of use when facing off against passive Mons that don't have high damage outputs. Whether these benefits outweigh the benefit of bouncing back status and taunt immunity is hard for me to say, but what Korski's said has made it clear to me that Poison Heal isn't something to discount entirely. I'm still mulling it over myself.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can't believe I even have to explain this, but whatever.

Magic Bounce is on exactly 2 OU viable pokemon, both of which are megas, one of which fits on only a very specific playstyle. If a non-mega CAP is created with Magic Bounce, you won't be making a parting shot pokemon anymore. you'll be making a Magic Bounce pokemon. It is a highly unique, highly valuable (much more than Parting Shot) niche.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't believe I even have to explain this, but whatever.

Magic Bounce is on exactly 2 OU viable pokemon, both of which are megas, one of which fits on only a very specific playstyle. If a non-mega CAP is created with Magic Bounce, you won't be making a parting shot pokemon anymore. you'll be making a Magic Bounce pokemon. It is a highly unique, highly valuable (much more than Parting Shot) niche.
Seconding this. In trying to make a Pokemon that focuses one a specific, underused element, you simply cannot give it access to a better, but still underused element. A CAP with Magic Bounce will be a Magic Bounce user, not a Parting Shot user. This would arguably be true for a few other abilities that have been suggested, but none so blatantly as Magic Bounce.

Magic Bounce is way too good for a Pokémon that intends to specialize in Parting Shot, as jas and Bughouse stated above. It wrecks everything that it shouldn't. Just because it's neglected doesn't mean it has to be given out like candy to the kids; the distribution of Magic Bounce has Pokémon that can use it well, such as Mega Sableye.

Limber allows the CAP to not lose its [implied] high Speed before switching out or attacking. On the other hand, Natural Cure allows to heal any ailments that it could have, but the CAP won't appreciate the 25% chance of full paralysis on the turn it attempts to switch out.

It... enables us to give it lower offensive stats while still being functional? Is that what you're getting at? Why not just give it better offensive stats? There are two reasons for why one might want Pixilate over simply higher offensive stats:
  1. We want to use Hyper Voice to bust through substitutes, which is a reason you haven't mentioned and is a reason I don't see as super relevant to CAP 22 being a pivot because it hasn't come up in the discussion.
  2. We want to use Return and its perfect accuracy instead of Play Rough, which is something you also haven't mentioned and is something I don't see as sufficiently relevant to CAP 22's potential pivot role because it hasn't come up in the discussion.
Beyond that, does Pixilate do much of anything that better offensive stats couldn't do? Giving CAP 22 Pixilate effectively means not giving it another ability that could do more for it.
It's worth noting that there is one big benefit that Pixilate provides that would otherwise require very precise manoeuvring at the movepool stage: the ability to power up CAP's STABs without also powering up coverage. If we end up looking at a 3 attacks + Parting Shot moveset in which we want dual STABs plus a single coverage move, or a dual STAB dual utility set, relying on later stages to make our STABs as powerful as we want also means we have limit the number of options we can use for coverage if we don't want to run the risk of an all out attacker set overshadowing the PS set. On the other hand, by using Pixilate (or, I suppose, Adaptability, to bring back an option from earlier in the discussion that didn't get a whole lot of support) we boost our STABs without boosting our coverage, meaning that our coverage can remain weak enough to not justify an entirely offensive set while our STABs are threatening enough to force switches. It's true that we should still be able to achieve that balance at the movepool stage by only giving weaker coverage moves, but that's reliant on there being the right moves in the right types to do what we want. If we want to give ourselves as many options as possible at the stats and movepool stages, Pixilate (or Adaptability) helps give us that freedom later on in the process. I personally love Natural Cure because it plays right into the switching mechanics that we're already going to be using, and I find Korski's arguments for Poison Heal fairly persuasive, but there absolutely is a case for an offensive ability that boosts our STABs and our STABs only.

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm still very wary about Serene Grace for this project. For this post I'll be focusing on Moonblast in conjunction with Serene Grace as it is primarily the reason why Serene Grace has even been brought up. It's CAP 22's only decent STAB move that has an significant interaction with Serene Grace, which would otherwise just be a generically good ability. My main concern with Serene Grace is how powerful those individual stat drops can be in conjunction with Parting Shot, similarly to my concerns for Intimidate that I stated in a previous post. An almost free "Memento" can potentially be game winning in conjunction with any of CAP's powerful setup sweepers, and in my opinion does take away from our original focus on Parting Shot by changing the overall effects of the move. We're in effect modifying how powerful Parting Shot is on this CAP, which makes it harder to judge how much of an impact Parting Shot itself is.

Additionally, one large aspect of Serene Grace that I haven't seen anyone talk about is how the potential effects of Serene Grace can be triggered consecutively. Everyone seems to be making the assumption that the CAP will get a Moonblast stat reduction and wish to switch directly with Parting Shot, effectively creating a -2 Special Attack reduction instead of a -1. That's a relatively safe thing to assume since the CAP will want to switch out at some point, but what if it chooses to stay in? There's a significant chance of the effects occurring consecutively, where all of a sudden the opponent may be put at a sever disadvantage just by the CAP using one of its strongest STAB options. A single stat reduction on the part of Serene Grace is enough to make me question if its a healthy ability for our concept, but the idea of CAP 22 cheesing past some of its checks with consecutive drops is what really makes me against it. The random nature of ability makes it difficult to truly assess its possible effects in matches and is not conducive to this project because of how it can swing the outcome of individual match-ups on an off chance. As I said previously, there are better abilities for us to use that also have synergy with Parting Shot. Please don't let random chance dictate how this CAP works.

A bit late to the party, but let me weigh in my two cents on this.

Given that CAP's main purpose is to capitalize on its potential as a pivot, ideally its main strengths would be to encourage switching out and setting up opportunities for other teammates to come in on whatever it's debuffed. To this end I think both a fast attacker and a more tankier build can work with this CAP, albeit in different ways. I also noticed that a lot of people have assumed that this 'mon will be fast - and honestly, I don't necessarily think it has to be. Fairy is a powerful defensive type on its own, and Fighting adds a Rock-type resistance which basically covers all of the 'mons we intend to counter. Coupled with solid defenses it's possible that we can take a hit, use Parting Shot, and switch in something that can capitalize on the vulnerability of the 'mon in question. Basically, when fighting this thing you either risk trying to get a hit on it and taking a debuff to the face, or switching to something that can counter it and giving it a free setup chance. I actually prefer a defensive setup because it could allow CAP to survive a bit longer, although I can understand the reasoning for a fast offensive CAP as well, because it could give an opportunity to either damage 'mons we intend to counter or switch out on ones that threaten us. To this end I'm okay with either offense or utility, or even something that can do both like a tank with high attack/defense stats but lower speed to keep it from being too overpowered.

To this end, among the abilities already discussed I'm most in favor of Natural Cure, which is of course pro-concept and can encourage switching out if any of our counters try to get a status on us. Like most of the others I'm also against Regenerator because of how strong this typing is defensively and there are better ways of providing healing. And any abilities that basically encourage staying in battle without switching, such as Guts, Magic Bounce, Poison Heal, or Prankster, don't get any support from me at all, for obvious reasons. Magic Bounce in particular is especially anti-concept because it no-sells status ailments which could potentially force a switch, so the only reason CAP has to switch out is if something can provide direct STAB against it, which is hard enough to do as it is. Limber and Levitate I'm neutral towards because although they do help against some of the status ailments that could cripple CAP I'm not sure if paralysis matters as much as other ailments like burns that could threaten CAP more if we're going for the offensive route; regardless, Limber essentially being able to no-sell Thunder Wave would be pretty useful and we won't have to worry about speed drops without getting hit by an ability intended to induce them. Ground-type moves are pretty common but CAP would take neutral damage and, if we're going for a defensive build, it would probably be difficult to KO using those, so I'm not sure what good rendering it immune to one more type aside from Dragon would do for it. Serene Grace does sound promising because of the increased chance of added effects like the lowered defenses from Moonblast or Play Rough, which works well with Parting Shot because with enough skill and prediction it could reduce the chances of a counter taking out CAP before it can use it. However, Fighting attacking moves are reliable enough as it is and I guess Serene Grace can only work with Fairy STAB if we pick that; then again there's been arguments regarding Fairy attacks being weaker in general than other attacking moves. Still, there are better ways of boosting offensive power if we're going for that build.

So in short, Natural Cure gets my unequivocal vote, being the most pro-concept here, though if we're looking to build offensively I think Limber would be a pretty close second.

I'm against Adaptability for the same reason I'm against Pixilate. Adaptibility is an extremely good ability that makes mons like Crawdraunt and Dragalgea potent wallbreakers and got Mega Lucario banned to Ubers. The former two only remain in OU as a result of their low speed. Anyone whose ever played a Trick Room team with Crawdaunt knows just how stupid that ability is. Giving Adaptability to our fast CAPmon would be offensively OP, and really undermine our goal of making for a Parting Shot pivot. Why use Parting Shot when you can just blast through your counters using a Banded 240 Close Combat? Charizard Y and Talonflame are not counters after that.

We can make CAP hit as hard as it needs to by picking its stats and moves later. This is why Adaptibility and Pixilate are unnecessary for our concept, and outshined by other abilities which promote pivoting in and out.

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
A bit late to the party, but let me weigh in my two cents on this.

Given that CAP's main purpose is to capitalize on its potential as a pivot, ideally its main strengths would be to encourage switching out and setting up opportunities for other teammates to come in on whatever it's debuffed. To this end I think both a fast attacker and a more tankier build can work with this CAP, albeit in different ways. I also noticed that a lot of people have assumed that this 'mon will be fast - and honestly, I don't necessarily think it has to be. Fairy is a powerful defensive type on its own, and Fighting adds a Rock-type resistance which basically covers all of the 'mons we intend to counter. Coupled with solid defenses it's possible that we can take a hit, use Parting Shot, and switch in something that can capitalize on the vulnerability of the 'mon in question. Basically, when fighting this thing you either risk trying to get a hit on it and taking a debuff to the face, or switching to something that can counter it and giving it a free setup chance. I actually prefer a defensive setup because it could allow CAP to survive a bit longer, although I can understand the reasoning for a fast offensive CAP as well, because it could give an opportunity to either damage 'mons we intend to counter or switch out on ones that threaten us. To this end I'm okay with either offense or utility, or even something that can do both like a tank with high attack/defense stats but lower speed to keep it from being too overpowered.

To this end, among the abilities already discussed I'm most in favor of Natural Cure, which is of course pro-concept and can encourage switching out if any of our counters try to get a status on us. Like most of the others I'm also against Regenerator because of how strong this typing is defensively and there are better ways of providing healing. And any abilities that basically encourage staying in battle without switching, such as Guts, Magic Bounce, Poison Heal, or Prankster, don't get any support from me at all, for obvious reasons. Magic Bounce in particular is especially anti-concept because it no-sells status ailments which could potentially force a switch, so the only reason CAP has to switch out is if something can provide direct STAB against it, which is hard enough to do as it is. Limber and Levitate I'm neutral towards because although they do help against some of the status ailments that could cripple CAP I'm not sure if paralysis matters as much as other ailments like burns that could threaten CAP more if we're going for the offensive route; regardless, Limber essentially being able to no-sell Thunder Wave would be pretty useful and we won't have to worry about speed drops without getting hit by an ability intended to induce them. Ground-type moves are pretty common but CAP would take neutral damage and, if we're going for a defensive build, it would probably be difficult to KO using those, so I'm not sure what good rendering it immune to one more type aside from Dragon would do for it. Serene Grace does sound promising because of the increased chance of added effects like the lowered defenses from Moonblast or Play Rough, which works well with Parting Shot because with enough skill and prediction it could reduce the chances of a counter taking out CAP before it can use it. However, Fighting attacking moves are reliable enough as it is and I guess Serene Grace can only work with Fairy STAB if we pick that; then again there's been arguments regarding Fairy attacks being weaker in general than other attacking moves. Still, there are better ways of boosting offensive power if we're going for that build.

So in short, Natural Cure gets my unequivocal vote, being the most pro-concept here, though if we're looking to build offensively I think Limber would be a pretty close second.
We decided during the concept assessment to have a fast Parting Shot user, in case that changes your opinion.

We decided during the concept assessment to have a fast Parting Shot user, in case that changes your opinion.
That would still validate both of my choices. If we're going for speed then Limber would help reduce the number of moves that can be used us that can lower speed because you'll have to actually try to lower it instead of using outright paralysis. So there's that.

I'm against Adaptability for the same reason I'm against Pixilate. Adaptibility is an extremely good ability that makes mons like Crawdraunt and Dragalgea potent wallbreakers and got Mega Lucario banned to Ubers. The former two only remain in OU as a result of their low speed. Anyone whose ever played a Trick Room team with Crawdaunt knows just how stupid that ability is. Giving Adaptability to our fast CAPmon would be offensively OP, and really undermine our goal of making for a Parting Shot pivot. Why use Parting Shot when you can just blast through your counters using a Banded 240 Close Combat? Charizard Y and Talonflame are not counters after that.

We can make CAP hit as hard as it needs to by picking its stats and moves later. This is why Adaptibility and Pixilate are unnecessary for our concept, and outshined by other abilities which promote pivoting in and out.
Yes, they're both good abilities, but they're good abilities that achieve a particular end: dramatically increasing the difference between STAB moves and coverage moves. A Pixilate or Adaptability CAP could be offensively threatening enough while having mediocre attacking stats, hence discouraging predominantly offensive sets in favour of utility sets that rely on STAB. The abilities are only as good as the stats CAP gets in the next stage.

One of the problems we're always going to face with this CAP is the risk that we end up preferring a set that doesn't use Parting Shot. Given that the point of the concept is to explore Parting Shot, we need to be trying to build in such a way that Parting Shot is always going to be on CAP's preferred moveset. That being said, we also need to make sure that we don't end up making CAP so one dimensional or limited that it's trivial to counter. Presumably, that means that Parting Shot isn't going to be its only usable utility move and STABs aren't going to be its only usable attacks. Balancing the right combination then becomes tricky (there have been a few Gen VI CAPs that have ended up having limited viability because they were denied a coverage option out of fear that it would be too powerful). Adaptability and Pixilate are pro-concept because they give us more room for error in subsequent stages. We can pick weaker attacking stats knowing that our STABs will still hit as hard as they need to, and we can give more coverage options rather than less knowing that those coverage moves won't hit excessively hard. If our STABs do as much as we need, we also open up more room in movesets to fit Parting Shot in. Adaptability in particular does the moveset equivalent of role compression; if all your attacking needs are fulfilled by two moves, attacking moves are less likely to crowd Parting Shot out, and there's even a decent chance that we can give other usable utility moves that fit a dual STAB dual utility set.

I think the arguments around Intimidate have been poorly framed, and I hoped to quickly put a spin on them before this goes to a poll. While I am also a fan of the other abilities that seem to have risen to the top, I want to make sure Intimidate gets its fair shake. In this thread, the main detractors of Intimidate have put forth that it is simply redundant and that it would discourage the use of Parting Shot. I really don't see this being the case. Most importantly it seems unlikely that you would be collecting -2 against the same 'mon. And if they switch out the intimidated pokemon, then Intimidate+Parting Shot is a very interesting momentum preserver, in a way that simply intimidate does not. Remember one concern about CAP22 has been is how it will force an immediate switch, when no one is scared of taking a parting shot to the face, of course there are numerous times throughout the CAP process we can solve that. However, I see Intimidate as not only increasing the number of switches CAP 22 can get in, but simultaneously increasing the number of switches it forces.

Because I love the Q&A Format:

1. What abilities complement CAP22's ability to use Parting Shot and pivot well?

Intimidate compliments CAP22's ability to use parting shot. Rolling off the concept discussion, The ideal parting shot user is fast, forces switches, enjoys switching a lot, making set-up and trappers life really easy. Intimidate increases the number of times CAP22 can switch in. It also forces the opponent swapping regardless of CAP22's coverage/attacking prowess/status moves. The opponent can risk staying in and being walled after an intimidate, staying in and giving an free lunch to CAP22's teammate at -2 Atk, or my favorite, switching and having the active pokemon STILL at -1 ATK and still in an unfavorable match up.

2. What abilities will allow us to reduce harm caused by walls for both CAP22 and its teammates?
I'm not sure reducing harm cause by walls should be a primary effect of CAP22's ability. Clearly the onus behind the question is that Parting Shot doesn't really bother walls, and CAP22 hates anything that limits its speed or number of switches (I.E. Status) However part of parting shot's charm is the ability to make someone else deal with your problem. While the move doesn't help set up sweepers against walls, it can simply by getting the right match up. I think that the right teammates exist to keep a parting shot user effective with the walls in the metagame. However, Phazers who eliminate your momentum advantage are the real damage.

3. Should CAP22's ability have a focus on its offenses or on its utility?
CAP22's ability should revolve switching and forcing switches. Thus my favorite abilities have been Intimidate, Natural Cure, Re-generator and Prankster. I can concur with others who believe re-generator and prankster to be too strong. Preferring intimidate over natural cure for its ability to force switches and my belief that CAP22 shouldn't be switched into walls or be out long enough to get crippled by a walls status.

I'm also pretty sure I just want to Intimidate-Parting Shot into Intimidate-UTurn over and over again.

Last edited:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Natural Cure
Poison Heal
Limber
Levitate
Frisk
Aroma Veil

Natural Cure has had the most support throughout the thread and helps our match up against passive pokemon that utilitize status. One thing I'm not sure if everyone has noticed is that even if we get paralyzed, we don't have to use a slow Parting Shot to heal off the paralysis; we can simply hard switch.

Korski's reasoning has changed my mind on Poison Heal. A status immunity + a method of recovery + allowing CAP22 to capitalize on its 4x resistance to Knock Off allows CAP22 to act as a Knock Off absorber after its Toxic Orb has activiate and gain free turns to force switches and use Parting Shot. My only problem with it is that when CAP22 has a precious free turn, it has to decide whether to use Parting Shot and gain momentum or to stay in and gain the passive healing. Overall though, Poison Heal covers a lot of bases on our threatlist.

Since CAP22 will be a fast pokemon, having an immunity to paralysis is beneficial in some circumstances. Limber also doesn't force CAP22 to hard switch whenever it gets hit by Thunder Wave or Glare.

While it doesn't address the threatlist very well, Levitate does help CAP22 beat Pokemon that it otherwise would have an easy time beating such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Colossoil and give CAP22 a resistance or immunity to every kind of hazard.

Frisk is a modest ability that works well on a pivot, allowing CAP22 to scout certain Pokemon with different sets, which could influence its decision whether to stay in or use Parting Shot.

Aroma Veil blocks Taunt, which would otherwise disable Parting Shot. CAP22 would most likely be taunted most often on the switch in, but I think the ability is pro-concept.

I didn't include many more of the more popular abilities like Serene Grace, Magic Bounce, Regenerator, and Pixilate mainly because their arguments a) didn't address legitimate concerns brought up or b) had faulty reasoning to begin with.

Thanks for a great abilities discussion! See you all in the poll.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I believe snake_rattler's slate is an accurate reflection of our community consensus. The chosen abilities have received a good amount of discussion and it seems like most people agree that they would benefit the CAP more than they would harm it, which is why I'm not removing any of the abilities listed. There was a lot of discussion on Serene Grace, Regenertor, Magic Bounce, and Pixilate, but unfortunately there was no consensus on whether or not the positives of these abilities would be more valuable than the potential downsides. This is also the case with other abilities snake_rattler does not directly mention in his post, such as Unaware and Intimidate, and as such I will not be adding anything to this slate either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)