Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1- I love Mimikyu even more now.

2- Beware the Bewere.

3- even though VGC 17 will prolly be Alola Dex and Alola born, for VGC 18, ORAS legends will be back so I'm happy I can stop with my SRs now.

Time to do another opinion dump!

Mudsdale: This thing is pretty cool. Stamina looks really nice (I could see it being paired with Beat Up in Doubles as a poor man's TerraCott). Not sure I agree with the dreadlocks though. They just seem out of place.

Comfey: Another Fairy-type that is inexplicably not part Grass! I'm honestly not sold on its design yet. It's clearly based on a lei/flower crown, but it just seems so impractical for moving around. The video shows it rolling, which I suppose makes sense, though. It's ability (can't remember the name) apparently gives it priority for "restorative" moves - does that just mean things like Recover, or does it extend to stat-buffing moves I wonder? If it has good stats, I can see it being a decent Calm Mind user.

Bounsweet: Hey, look, Cherubi 2.0! I'm honestly not sure what else to say about it.

Wimpod: Being a big Splatoon player, I was immediately reminded of Sheldon when I saw this guy. Bug/Water is a really cool typing - I, like everyone else, hope that it stays Bug/Water when it evolves. Also, Wimp Out is going to be the most annoying ability ever. Anyone who's played Mystery Dungeon knows the joy of chasing down something with Run Away.

Hyper Training: RIP Wi-fi section. Even though I am of course saddened that perfect Pokemon will not be as valuable, I can also see why they did it - they're making a conscious effort to promote VGC, and part of that is making it easier for new people to get into. More than anything, though, I'm curious as to the actual mechanics of the bottle caps. Will using one on a mon make it 31/31/31/31/31/31? Will it just make 1 stat 31? Will it increase all IVs by a small amount? And how hard will they be to get? This is speculation, but I can definitely see them being sold at the Battle Facility for 48BP.

Actually, this makes me think that they might revert breeding to how it was in Gen V and remove the Destiny Knot mechanics. I really hope that's not the case, though.

Custom tournaments: I don't have a lot to say regarding this, since I only play VGC and Battle Spot anyway. I'm sure it'll be great for Smogon, though!

Last edited:
It still probably wouldn't hurt to SR for 20-31s on Legends so you spend a bit less caps. And like I said earlier, avoid getting 30 and 31 HP IV on Zygarde.

Also, I really hope Wifi isn't "Flower icon only", and that Pentagon mons can partake too. Kind of defeats the purpose of OR/AS's massive amount of legends you can get. Although to be fair, none of them have their HA; so maybe Gen 7 can finally provide us HA Johto Legends (screw Dream Radar).

Last edited:
IV training n_n. The entire VGC community's been waiting for this. Can we also get an IV dropper?

I hope you get more options to change in the ruleset you're making, such as pkmn/move eligibility and levels.
Well, leave it to GF to only let you customize a little bit. I see no option for Triples or Rotations and no option to choose the number of Pokemon you bring (which of course means we'll be stuck with 3v3 Singles and 4v4 Doubles).

However, I do see something else of interest. Where it gives you the option to allow/disallow Banked mons, it specifies "Limit to Pokemon obtained in Sun/Moon". This implies, of course, that all those Pentagon Pokemon will become completely useless upon transfer. I do not want to rebreed my entire collection of competitive Pokemon, personally.

TrollFreak strikes again!

Mimikyu would be fine for pivoting around. It has 3 immunities (fight, normal and dragon), which means the ability is not triggered every time Mimikyu switchs in. Thing is, the concept Mimikyu is based on doesn't suggest it will be getting an evolution, which probably means low BST and, in consequence, poor results in the competitive scene. Anyway I don't want to talk about its potential this early, as people have proved over time that they are not entirely capable of predict the impact a certain Pokémon will have in the metagame unless it is too late.
Heracross have no evolution and has a high BST ... and ludvic have 330 BST :(

Well, leave it to GF to only let you customize a little bit. I see no option for Triples or Rotations and no option to choose the number of Pokemon you bring (which of course means we'll be stuck with 3v3 Singles and 4v4 Doubles).

However, I do see something else of interest. Where it gives you the option to allow/disallow Banked mons, it specifies "Limit to Pokemon obtained in Sun/Moon". This implies, of course, that all those Pentagon Pokemon will become completely useless upon transfer. I do not want to rebreed my entire collection of competitive Pokemon, personally.

TrollFreak strikes again!
I hope they don't remove tripple and rotations. I honestly never used them, but removing features always bugs me. Hopefully more options will be added, since I don't see the new mode they announced a few weeks ago on that image anyway

Mimikyu has the Disguise Ability, a new Ability that no Pokémon has ever before possessed. The Disguise Ability allows it to escape damage from an enemy’s attack just one time, and then its appearance changes.
Anyways, its ability sounds like an Imposter/Illusion clone. However, I'm going out there and guess that it'll give the user a free substitute upon switch-in.
Close enough. Well, it is along the lines of negating damage to the user.

I'm a psychic.

I breed a lot even Hidden powers but still find it to be very useful the Hyper training, you don't know how the diference it makes to have a stat being odd or even while being high too as you can only pass 5 Iv's at most with Destiny knot.

If you truly breed you should be happy this mechanic will be in gen 7 it will make things really more fast meaning saved time to breed even more things in the same amount of time compared to gen 6.

Even more with Hidden powers like Fighting type that was really hard to do.

Wow they're really going in with these new abilities, Triage giving max priority healing moves. Wimp Out looks like it's gonna be almost as annoying as teleport when it comes to catching stuff. New pokemon are cool, Bounsweet kinda reminds me of Cherubi, and oml Bounsweet's description! That poor thing.

Hyper Training sounds amazing.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Japanese trailer

Also is it just me or does Astonish look like it got massively buffed (~1:06)

Allow me to dump the descriptions for the new mons from the main site, because wow they are chock filled with good stuff

Because it exudes a delicious smell from its entire body, Bounsweet is popular with Pokémon and people of the Alola region. Bounsweet’s scent has a calming effect on humans, so many people let them live inside their homes as a sort of air freshener. Unfortunately, it’s sometimes swallowed whole by Pokémon drawn to its aroma.

When running away from other Pokémon, Bounsweet flees danger by skipping along the ground. Since its bouncy movements don’t convey to others that it’s actually in desperate flight, no one ever comes to its aid.

When attacked by enemies, it drives them off by rotating the calyx on its head. The downside is how dizzy it gets afterward!

When Bewear is acting in a friendly fashion, just swinging its arms around, you must never dare to approach it carelessly. It is acknowledged to be a dangerous Pokémon, even within the Alola region. You may see warning signs posted near places it resides.

When Bewear grows fond of its Trainer, it may show that feeling in a fond embrace—but the force of that hug is tremendous! Trainers must teach these Pokémon how to restrain their strength when showing affection.

Bewear may have the Fluffy Ability, a new Ability that no Pokémon has ever possessed before. The Fluffy Ability halves the damage taken from attacks that make direct contact, but in return it also doubles the damage taken from Fire-type moves.

Some wild Bewear use amazing martial-arts moves. Apparently the Pokémon learn these moves by watching Black Belts practicing when they go out to train in the woods.

Bewear’s arms and legs are strong and highly developed. Its powerful spine enables it to lift objects weighing a ton or more. It loves to give crushing bear hugs—a tight hug from this Pokémon’s arms will split anything at all in two!

Comfey picks flowers and always carries them around. It makes a ring of blossoms and spreads oil from its body on it, which changes the flowers so they emit a soothing fragrance. It has a habit of giving these flower rings to those it’s fond of. The aroma can soothe both itself and its allies. Comfey also helps with the treatment of people and Pokémon at Pokémon Centers and hospitals, thanks to its aroma.

When attacked by other Pokémon, it throws its flowers at them to create an opening, and then it either flees or strikes back.

Comfey can have the new Triage Ability, an Ability that no other Pokémon has had before. With the Triage Ability, this Pokémon’s restorative moves gain the highest priority in battle.

Mudsdale is known for its powerful body as well as its emotional fortitude, which keeps it from being agitated by anything. It never cries out, no matter what kind of trouble it’s in, and it defeats its opponents with a single powerful blow. Its legs are coated in protective mud, and the weight of this coating increases the force of its kicks. One kick, and a car is a pile of scrap!

Mudsdale’s running speed is not too swift, but it has excellent power and stamina. It can carry on for three days and three nights despite dragging loads of over 10 tons!

When Mudsdale gallops in earnest, the power of each hoof-clop can dig out huge holes, even in asphalt. Mudsdale is forbidden to run on some of Alola’s public roads.

Mudsdale can have the new Stamina Ability, an Ability that no other Pokémon has had before. With the Stamina Ability, this Pokémon’s Defense goes up by 1 when it’s hit by an attack.

Mimikyu lives its life completely covered by its cloth and is always hidden. People believe that anybody who sees its true form beneath the cloth will be stricken with a mysterious illness. People in the Alola region are convinced that you must never try to peek beneath its covering. Mimikyu’s health fails when it’s bathed in the rays of the sun, so it prefers to stick to dark places. It’s rumored that the reason it covers itself with a cloth is to avoid sunlight.

The rising popularity of Pikachu-styled merchandise around 20 years ago is the reason that Mimikyu makes itself look like Pikachu. In fact, this Pokémon is dreadfully lonely, and it thought it would be able to make friends with humans if only it looked like Pikachu.

Mimikyu has the Disguise Ability, a new Ability that no Pokémon has ever before possessed. The Disguise Ability allows it to escape damage from an enemy’s attack just one time, and then its appearance changes.

Mimikyu’s Pikachu-like appearance is due to its Disguise Ability. In order to resemble Pikachu, this Pokémon makes patterns that look like eyes and a mouth appear on a regular scrap of cloth.

Wimpod have a cowardly nature and are wary of noises and sudden movements. If you approach them in a group, they’ll immediately run off. When Wimpod feel threatened, they spit out a poisonous liquid. The stench of this toxic fluid signals others that danger is near. Despite their extreme cowardice, their curiosity leads Wimpod to approach people or Pokémon that are standing still.

Wimpod eat and store anything that they find fallen on the ground. They also scavenge any garbage that’s been dropped in the sea, so they’re highly valued as cleaners. They sometimes carry pearls or other valuable items, so humans or Pokémon like Murkrow may target them.

Wimpod has the new Wimp Out Ability, an Ability that no other Pokémon has had before. With the Wimp Out Ability, if this Pokémon’s HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon.

While iv breeding is amazing for battling, it's pretty insulting for those people that breed, SR and RNG because from avid Breeders, RNGers, SRers, this is just feels like it's devaluing our stuff that we worked hard for. I've bred 50+ unique comp shinies and I'd hate to see all my effort go to waste over shinies people can catch and train like it's nothing.
I completed an entire RNG pokedex in Gen 5 and bred countless competitive mons in gen 6 and I'm happy beyond belief for this change. Needlessly making 99% of all Pokemon worthless is such a dumb mechanic. I'm too happy to see it go. I'm super stoked to have things like random shinies and old Pokemon from my childhood be actually useful in battle. It'll be nice to be able to masuda method shiny Pokemon and not get bit in the ass by something like an imperfect speed IV.

Found the Pokemon on the site. Opinion dumb time.

Bounsweet: Well, Cherubi is now crying.

When running away from other Pokémon, Bounsweet flees danger by skipping along the ground. Since its bouncy movements don’t convey to others that it’s actually in desperate flight, no one ever comes to its aid.
Well, this is pretty funny at least.

Bewear: Apart from the amazing name, I really like the Fluffy ability. Reminds me of Fur Coat. I dislike the added Fire weakness but w/e. I feel really bad for Bewear though, all it wants is hugs and now everyone's putting signs up about how dangerous it is :[

Comfey: Ugh I hate this thing. Not part grass and it just looks so weird. Like I can barely tell where the actual Pokemon is so to me it just looks like a ring of flowers. Triage probably means recovery boosting moves on. Mabye status removal as well.

Mudsdale: If we don't ride this I will really eat a hat. I love this Pokemon, its design is so great and Stamina seems like a great ability. +1 defense whenever its hit by an attack? I just hope it has decent or better base defense to make use of this ability. This thing WILL be a part of my in game S/M team. Defiantly. I love its design to much to pass.

Mimikyu: Well, p-poor Pokemon, you don't need to look like Pikachu to be my friend :[
(oh and ability is basically a better Multiscale)

Wimpod: Another Pokemon I really like the design of, and the purple.

Wimpod has the new Wimp Out Ability, an Ability that no other Pokémon has had before. With the Wimp Out Ability, if this Pokémon’s HP drops below half in battle, it will run away or swap out for another Pokémon.
Good luck catching this.

Do you even know what that word means? If you don't, you're stupid to use it. If you do, but pretend not to, you're trolling. If you honestly think you do, you're wrong. Which is it?
Hahaha. I'd love to hear how a feature allowing the genetic manipulation of organisms to make them more perfect is not an implementation of eugenics. Maybe you need to look up what the word means :)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bewear's name reminded me of this:

Love the new mon designs. I think my favorite is the Mud Clydesdale. Been a while since we had non-legendary Bigmons during a release like Lapras or Wailord.

Also more crazy abilities. I can't help but wonder that if they're releasing so many, how many of the old Pokemon will get revamped abilities, or maybe even a 4th potential ability (shudder)? It's not unprecedented, like how we never got Shadow Tag Chandelure or Lightningrod Zapdos. I predict Doubles will have A LOT of Skill Swapping going around to start if any of these mons are halfway decent, and it looks like at least Mudsdale will be (then again it might be like Camerupt where it's inexplicably not as bulky as you'd think/hope based on its size.)

As far as Wimpod's catchability, I'm pretty sure it will be one of those early game mons with a massive capture rate (like 255 on Magikarp) so you can basically just chuck a Pokeball at a low level one undamaged and get it.

Bewear will most likely be a Pokemon that doesn't evolve because look at that fucking thing. That and it looks rather high-leveled from the footage.

Mimikyu will be a gimmick mon. Low stats, nice ability/typing. Don't see much use for it unfortunately.

I really want Wimpod to evolve and keep its Bug/Water typing. Looks to be a pain in the ass to catch. I seriously hope they make it like Abra where its worth it in the end.

Mudsdale looks pretty cool. I really want it to get a Ground-type move to abuse with Own Tempo.

Comfey has priority recovery moves but I doubt it'll have much use outside of that. Doesn't look like it'll evolve.

The cherry thing looks cute but I doubt it'll be useful. Even in-game. (I'd rather raise a Budew again than use this thing)

On a side note, I really want a Murkrow on my team because this video basically confirms that it'll be in the Pokedex. Hope it doesn't come in too late though.

Hahaha. I'd love to hear how a feature allowing the genetic manipulation of organisms to make them more perfect is not an implementation of eugenics. Maybe you need to look up what the word means :)
I don't expect to partake in this discussion very much because I can't see it as being allowed past another page or two, but: Eugenics kind of rides as much on the idea of traits being hereditary as it does on the whole "Best genes" thing. If you're editing one pokemon, and using that as motivation not to have to breed more, then you're de facto not talking eugenics at all.

This is a weird topic :|

e: tl;dr difference between genetic engineering and eugenics

Pretty much the easiest way to catch Wimpod would be to hope it has an odd HP stat and Super Fang it. Then put it to sleep. If its ability works while sleeping that would legit be the most efficient way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)