Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone even hack in an Ability Capsule instead of just genning one with a different ability? Hacking isn't meant to be part of the game, so don't claim it makes an item less valuable.
But at that point why not just use the hacking device to modify your Pokémon's stats directly
Fair enough, I meant more as in the sense that item duplication is currently allowed in the Wi-Fi subforum (if disclosed). But I assume it won't be for Gen 7.

Now I remember another thing this "collect bottlecaps" for the new mechanic reminded me of:

You remember Alf, right? Well now he's back, in Bottlecap form!

Oh man. These new changes are amazing for the VGC crowd: Custom Tournaments means an in-game method of practicing that I'm sure many people will take advantage of while Hyper training (More like HYPEr Training, amirite?) means you don't have to worry about "Flawless or Bust" when it comes to catching stuff like Tapu Koko (or Heatran or what have you) for VGC teams, unless you want a specific Hidden Power Type or min speed. (Unless there's a way to remove IVs via Hyper Training.)

also: Beware of Bewear. gdi nintendo.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While iv breeding is amazing for battling, it's pretty insulting for those people that breed, SR and RNG because from avid Breeders, RNGers, SRers, this is just feels like it's devaluing our stuff that we worked hard for. I've bred 50+ unique comp shinies and I'd hate to see all my effort go to waste over shinies people can catch and train like it's nothing.
wow gz, that's amazing

Yeah, while this new IV thing is convenient for VGC players, I can understand why breeders would upset. It seems like you really don't have to work anymore for that perfect pokemon. Still, it probably is better this way, as BladePrincess said.

It's not like breeding will suddenly become irrelevant. What happened to egg moves and, to a lesser extent, fishing for the right nature?

Not to mention, we still don't know a thing about the availability of those caps. You will still want to have an IV spread as close as possible to the one you want.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If we can raise IVs, I really hope we can lower them as well. We have items that lower EVs, so it would be cool to have an item to lower IVs as well. It might not make sense to voluntarily lower your inner strength, but it would be insanely helpful for Hidden Power. Like if you were using Hidden Power Fire and suddenly wanted to use Hidden Power Ice, you could raise/lower your Pokemon's IVs appropriately to match what you want. I doubt this will happen, since the only other advantage to lowering IVs is lowering Attack for special attackers to reduce confusion and Foul Play damage, but I really hope it's possible nonetheless.

If we can raise IVs, I really hope we can lower them as well. We have items that lower EVs, so it would be cool to have an item to lower IVs as well. It might not make sense to voluntarily lower your inner strength, but it would be insanely helpful for Hidden Power. Like if you were using Hidden Power Fire and suddenly wanted to use Hidden Power Ice, you could raise/lower your Pokemon's IVs appropriately to match what you want. I doubt this will happen, since the only other advantage to lowering IVs is lowering Attack for special attackers to reduce confusion and Foul Play damage, but I really hope it's possible nonetheless.
Min Speed for Trick Room + Gyro Ball.

Stuff that wants to attack Aegislash in Blade Forme and has a chance to outslow it like Conkeldurr.

Really? Breeders are anguished by this too, despite the fact that we don't know how easy it will be to get them? If it is super easy, then that is a little complaint worthy, but if it isn't then it should be mostly reserved for legendaries for the best time saving effect. (Or HA Nidos. Geeze those are annyoing)

And even if they are super common: it is likely you can't use it to get 0 speed IVs and unlikely you can game it for specific Hidden Power types. If you have the ability to do those, I doubt Hyper Training will take yer jerbs.

One theory as to how Game Freak will handle this is that a maximum of, say, three bottle caps can be used on one Pokemon. This would balance it out so there would still be work to do, but at the same time it's still easier.

I'm a breeder myself and bred thousands of Pokemon throughout the years. I'm also used to SRing for everything and was already worried about how long it'd take me to get the legends in SM, because I want to host a premier challenge at the beginning of January and it's nice being able to actually have fun with the game without worrying about a Pokemon's IVs. I'll just worry about the nature and be happy with it.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Wait, people are actually upset about the IV training thing? Breeding's not going to go out of style anytime soon due to egg moves and such (plus, we don't exactly know how easy the caps will be to obtain), and for people like me who spend most of the day either in college, working, or simply getting out of the house, the new feature will be a godsend for Legendaries and event Pokemon. I have a massive backlog of wondercards that I haven't yet SR'd simply because I don't have the time to throw away at the mercy of the RNG.

I mean, a part of me is sad to see RNG abuse in the older games become obsolete, but this is a good move for the series, especially to competitive play. Not everyone has the time to SR and breed, even if it was easier in Gen VI than it has been in other games.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
One theory as to how Game Freak will handle this is that a maximum of, say, three bottle caps can be used on one Pokemon. This would balance it out so there would still be work to do, but at the same time it's still easier.
Or they could not do something stupid like that since you already have to grind to Level 100 before you can use the caps.

The ability to increase IV's manually - even if it's difficult to do - has always been one I'd hoped would make it in to the games. The optimal strategy for breeding has some rather unfortunate implications that have already been discussed over the past few pages, and even if you don't have a problem with that there's always been something disappointing about knowing that your in-game story-mode team will never be competitive material no matter how much effort you're willing to put into it. Even if this route turns out to be harder than breeding and can't be used on legendaries, I'm very glad it exists.

Creating our own custom challenges looks interesting, but it will need significantly more options before "Smogon on cartridge" becomes an accessible reality. Whether or not we'll have the ability to choose 6v6 battle format and create custom banlists remains up in the air, but if it does happen that'd be very cool... and potentially open up a nasty bag of worms with regards to event pokemon and moves. Up until now the exclusivity of these pokemon hasn't been an issue for the sim-based community, but if a number of us start playing on cartridge those pokemon will become very exclusive. Metagame defining threats on simulator might be virtually unheard of in cartridge play just because no one has them, and that will mean you'll get two very different metas. Could be a huge problem, but that's presuming we actually have the tools to make it happen.

As for the pokemon, I'm really happy to see all the new abilities popping up. Having generic abilities that are shared with a dozen other species can quickly make a pokemon forgettable, but a unique ability can really make a pokemon memorable even if it's not actually that great competitively. Everyone remembers Furfrou and what it does even though it was a total flop. Even garbage like Plusle and Minun are more memorable for their unique gimmick than other pokemon with more practical but boring abilities (oh gee, another electric type with static). Everything revealed so far looks to at very least be interesting, and that bodes well for memorable pokemon that we'll know and love for years to come... even if it's only in a lower tier.

1st off mimikyu is awesome and i want 6 of them and mudsdale has a signature move (hoof attack in video)

I think tapu koko (unique name btw) is part of a legendary team all with terrain abilities. Grassy Terrain (Grass / Fairy), Misty Terrain (Fairy), and some new terrain probably Fire to fit the volcanic aspect of aloha.

Does anyone thing they'll still have secret bases? The part about grinding too 100 will be all the more exasperating with access to Blissey Bases
I don't know about Highhorse Power being a signature move. There's a chance that it is, however I think the Ponyta and Blitzle lines will get it as well (since both have hooves). As for secret bases, I doubt it since they were exclusive to Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)