Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna keep this short because this has already been discussed, but you can still breed for natures, abilities, egg moves, and shinies. And this is just way more convenient for everyone. Whether you like it or not, it really is better this way.

And I mean...it's not like you absolutely HAVE to Hyper Train. I'm pretty sure, just like Super Training, that it's a optional thing. It just helps out breeders who are looking for an easier way to get better IVs. Currently I'm breeding for a 6IV Axew (also masuda methoding, but that's not important) and I would love to have this option, but that's just me personally.

The new hyper training is amazing, ab time they made some changes to IVs.

Howeverrrrrr, the whole new symbol eliminating XY/ORAS is pretty depressing. Hundreds and hundreds of hours into perfect shiny breeding just to have to redo everything. And yes, this time around hyper training will make it much easier to obtain perfect bred shinies, but that difficulty (well luck and patience) also added to the sentimental value of the ones i've already bred in gen 6. On the plus side, having a flawless shiny with a pentagon will be somewhat of a treasure now (and an unusable one at that)

not at all complaining ab the new hyper training bc its an amazing addition, just wish you could still use gen 6 mons as well :/
Well, those of us who play VGC were already expecting that. And those of you who play Smogon won't feel any difference, since the old mons will be available since the beginning through Bank.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Gets back from work*

Let's see what the new Pokemon news is, probably just updating us on Kiteruguma and Mimikyu...

*Sees the news*

... let's go over this one by one:

Get it? Because it's a bear (well, sorta), looks like a guy wearing a mascot suit, and sounds like "beware"!... moving on.
I guess its a cute name pun, feels a bit awkward but then again that fits it, doesn't it?
It is acknowledged to be a dangerous Pokemon, even within the Alola region.
Shouldn't that be "even outside the Alola region"? Like I would suspect everyone from its native region to know its dangerous.
When Bewear grows fond of its Trainer, it may show that feeling in a fond embrace—but the force of that hug is tremendous!
And finally we know what it Ability does. Fluffy halved contact move but takes double the damage from Fire-type moves, so an inferior Fur Coat? Like, okay, it now blocks a few Special Moves that make contact but it doesn't halve Earthquake and essentially is now weak to Fire-types. Still not a bad Ability, it can operate as a physical tank, though it has some mighty big gaps the opponent can get around.
So it developed its martial arts from watching Black Belts. Alright, not exactly a bad bit of info, still that design just doesn't fit. What, it didn't think it was hugging hard enough? And it's not like it hugging is a form of attack, from what I read it likes hugging those it likes so what does it make itself cause pain when it hugs?
Final note, seeing it fully in action in 3D makes it look a bit less awkward (and it does have a mouth). It also gets Hammer Arm which, while obvious, is nice. I didn't really see it as a fast Pokemon so maybe has use in a Trick Room team?

I want to say I'm surprised it kept its Japanese name, but for some reason part of me thought it wouldn't. Maybe because it has some vague connection to Pikachu? Also the name pun still work, even though it's not mimicking "you" but a Pikachu (unless you are a Pikachu).
So all around it sounds like a bad idea to remove Mimikyu's sheets, both it and everyone who sees it will fall ill (though I guess the shadowy hand it uses to attack doesn't count?).
And all it wants to do is make friends, disguising itself as a Pikachu to try to make itself more popular.

Speaking of which, we also get an explanation for its Ability too. Disguise protects against one attack but in doing so the Pikachu bedsheet flops over (the attacking Pokemon attacked it instead of the body). Alright, sounds like it could be useful for Mimikyu to set up something or do a little bit of stall.
Also anyone notice the battling arena they were fighting in had headstones?

Okay, a fruit Pokemon, though no fruit I've seen before. Purple Mangosteen, hm, must be a Hawaiian fruit...
Wikipedia said:
... is a tropical evergreen tree believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas of Indonesia. It grows mainly in Southeast Asia, southwest India and other tropical areas such as Puerto Rico and Florida...
Okay, so it's not native. But it grows in tropical places so there's probably some growing in Hawaii...
Wikipedia said:
Mangosteen production in Puerto Rico is succeeding, but despite decades of attempts, no major production occurs elsewhere in the Caribbean Islands, South America, Florida, California, Hawaii or any continent except Asia.
... GameFreak, did you do your research or not? Oh, wait, it grows in Asia and is popularly used in traditional medicine. We get it, Pokemon originated in Japan, now can we please focus on the islands this region is being based on perhaps? I swear it feels like if they don't include something Asian they're afraid their home country will reject Pokemon or something.
Abilities are Leaf Guard and Oblivious. Oblivious seems kind of random, and just as useless. Leaf Guard I guess is the go-to Ability, of course for protection for Status Ailments you increase the power of one of Grass-type's weaknesses (seriously Abilities that require Sunlight should also halve Fire-type attacks since the majority of them are for Grass-types).
Unfortunately, it's sometimes swallowed whole by Pokemon drawn to its aroma.
O_O Geez, I can't remember the last time a Pokedex entry straight up mentioned Pokemon eating other Pokemon. It seemed like nowadays they made all Pokemon into berry eaters.
When running away from other Pokemon, Bounsweet flees danger by skipping along the ground. Since its bouncy movements don't convey to others that it's actually in desperate flight, no one ever comes to its aid.
And this is why evolution made it so most animals are looking terrified and giving out distressed cries when being chased: so it's kin knows its in danger and can help it. How has your species not all been eaten to extinction? Oh, and good defense, spinning leafs that also make you dizzy. These things must reproduce like crazy. At least I now know what a "calyx" is.
Outside that it looks alright if simple. It probably evolves but into what I don't know,a Mangosteen tree looks pretty plain.

"Posy Picker Pokemon"? Try "Lei Pokemon". Well I did ask for a more Hawaiin Pokemon, didn't I? Though I wasn't expecting it to be Flabebe's cousin (it even gets Flower Veil which was the Flabebe's family exclusive Ability; though Flower Veil still isn't that good if the user itself isn't Grass-type).
Really, another pure Fairy-type with plant elements to it? Okay, to be fairy to Flabebe and Floette they aren't part of the flower they hand onto and neither is Comfey, but still (and that doesn't excuse Florges who does fuse to its flower and who knows what this ones evolution does if it does evolve which I'm not so sure about as it also sort of reminds me of Klekfi).
Hmm, sounds like they'll be the nurse Pokemon that Alola Nurse Joy's will have with them in the anime if their description is anything to go by.
However Comfey sounds like it has a trick up its lei, and that its new Ability. Triage has "restorative moves" get the "highest priority" in battle, aka they go first no matter what. Wow, with a good enough HP and defensive stat, Recover move, Heal Pulse, and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy (I'm assuming since they kept the wording wide open these moves will also be increased. And if not it'll still be able to make good use of them even if its slow) it could become a very good supporting Pokemon in Double/Triple battles (or an annoying staller). Also the Ability sounds general enough that I'm sure the Chansey family and Audino are knocking on GF's door about it.
Anyway I actually like its design, its a bit blatant but, like with Flabebe, you got to remember that it's not the lei which is the Pokemon but just the little fairy holding it. Comfey looks more complex than Flabebe which is good to see as it's not a complete copy in terms of base design. Though its just as small as Flabebe (what's with all the super small Pokemon?) it is heavier so still better luck next time.

Alright, Clydesdale Pokemon! :D Though honestly missed an obvious pun by not calling it "Clayesdale"; clay is just as much earth as mud is, just as Claydol.
And look, Ground-type! That's another type off the list we needed to see (hopefully it won't be the only com mon Ground-type).
And geez, this thing is heavy! Though I guess that's par for the course being a Ground-type. Must be all that layer of mud.
So while not the fastest, it has a powerful stomp that it's not allowed on road (HA! We'll see about that! Did you forget you introduced riding Pokemon; Alola's roads won't know what's coming...).
Stamina sounds like a physical defensive Pokemon's dream Ability: +1 Defense increase each time hit with an attack. That's right up there with Speed Boost and Moxie. Mudsdale is sounding like a slow, physical powerhouse. Oh, it also gets Own Tempo, and that's all I got to say about that.
That "signature" move looks interesting, Highhorse Power. By that name I wonder if it'll increase Speed, like a Ground-type version of Flame Charge. I also wonder if the Ponyta and Blitzle family will also get it (though it wouldn't really help that much except Ponyta family for Rock-types).
And it's design is nice, went all in with the heavy hair of a draft horse but also added its type into the design by covering a lot of its heavy hair in mud. I wish I had more to say but honestly any further opinion of it will be dependent on its stats and movepool. Still, while I normally let my team be whatever Pokemon comes my way, I'll definitely be looking out for this one!

Finally another Bug/Water! Hopefully if it evolves it stays that way.
So its cowardice but also curious and sprays a smelly poison when it think it's in danger, I sense a many wacky shenanigans that go on with it (and thus I think James might get this in the anime, but that's neither here nor there).
Sound like they maybe have a bit of a Luvisc gimmick with them that they'll be holding certain items when you encounter them. The description mentions pearls though since they pick up any garbage they might have a potential item pool of stuff... and maybe one of these items would be bottle caps?
Another new Ability, Wimp Out. If HP falls below half it either ends a wild battle or switches out in a trainer battle. So a free Eject Button. I could see use for it, have it set up and hopefully go below half without fainting to switch out to a stronger threat. With it able to spew poison and have a spiky tail maybe it'll get Toxic Spikes. Though it sounds like it might be a bit annoying to capture, one of those Pokemon you're just better throwing the Poke Ball at immediately instead of trying to weaken it.
Okay design for a Bug/Water, its a trilobite (which you'd think would be a Fossil but I suppose since the Horseshoe Crab Pokemon is a Fossil they decided to exchange places). I have a feeling it'll get an evolution, there's plenty of marine anthropods, like I'm thinking a Eurypterid (sea scorpion).

So finally they realize "hey, maybe players would like to set up their own tournament with their own rules". The options so far provided are nice though they could obviously do more. Like only Single or Doubles? What about Triples and Rotational? How about special rules like Inverse Battles? Can you set certain Pokemon, Moves, Abilities, or Items to be banned? There's a whole ton of things they can do though right now it looks pretty bare bones and you just got to trust the other players to play by any additional rules you can't enforce.

The QR code is a nice idea to assure only the people you want get access.

Oh, and of course the GTS is shutting down for the Gen VI games. Hopefully Pokemon Bank doesn't...

Oh, this must be the new Super Training. So what changes did the do to the system.
However, their power is still affected by the individual strengths innate to each Pokemon. Now, with Hyper Training, Pokemon that have grown to Lv. 100 will be able to increase their individual strengths, which has never been possible before.
Increase individual strength... never possible before... individual... strength... individual... value... increasing individual value... INCREASING IVs!?

... I can't believe it. They did it. They're letting us raise IVs!

Finally the Pokemon we have traveling with us through our in-game journey can become competitively viable (if they have the right Nature. Come on GF, you've gone this far you might as well have a Nature Tutor, it's like a dog tutor except some can teach our Pokemon to be naughty)! Finally all our Event Pokemon can become "Battle-Ready" as their event falsely claimed they were! And most importantly we don't need to hatch hundreds if not thousands of Eggs! :D

But of course that last part means they gotta restrictions. Only for level 100 Pokemon? Alright, fair enough, they want you to have trained your Pokemon to its full potential before they let you unleash it. Gotta use bottle caps? Alright, odd currency, but I guess Battle Point would be too easy.

Actually it's obtaining the bottle caps which probably would make Breeding for the right Pokemon still an option. Or better yet a mix, you breed to get a Pokemon good enough and if it's just missing IVs in certain stats you use the bottle caps to fill them in. That way those who had bred perfect Pokemon don't feel like they wasted their time, rather saved on bottle caps for other things like Event Pokemon.

As for how we'll get the bottle caps, I don't know, how does one usually get bottle caps? I doubt they'll make it as easy as using a Soda Pop, there has to be something else. Like maybe you'll find bottle caps in garbage cans! Wimpod's holding bottle caps also sounds like a good option, like Luvdisc with Heart Scales. Though those will probably just be additional ways, going back to my soda pop idea maybe there will be drink stalls you can buy drinks from and get bottle caps that way (and you'll be limited to how many you can get, either a certain amount per day or maybe actually have a thirst meter for the trainer and the more they do in the game the more thirsty they become). We know Magearna is coming with a Silver Bottle Cap so there's going to be different varieties, however all the things they can do with that I can't even begin to write down. Best to wait for more information, though I do feel we'll probably be increasing one stats IV by one point at a time.

Well after THAT bombshell I don't really have much else to say (except now I only need to focus on the right Nature for the upcoming Event Pokemon). As always I'll be liking and respond to any comments. :)

Last edited:
Bewear:
I originally said that I didn't think this Pokemon would be beary good (ha ha ha), just by virtue of being a Bear. However, maybe I was just being a bit cynical that day. Halving contact damage is great, since 2 of its 3 weaknesses (Fighting and Flying) have moves that almost always make contact. But it also makes you weak to Fire. This will not be good, as most of the game's Fire and Fighting-Types are in the lower tiers, where this thing likely will end up. Then again, this is all dependent on whether or not this is a first stage or a second stage form.
Small correction: Bewear has 4 weaknesses (excluding fire), not 3 - fairy, psychic, fighting, flying.

With that said, tier placement discussion is really, really premature. We have zero indication about the BSTs of any of the new Pokemon concerned or their movesets, or what new moves, abilities, and items the game is going to introduce, or what (if any) changes will be made to existing ones. We also don't know what other Pokemon, with what other abilities, are going to be released. I think assuming that the lower tiers will have a lot of fire and fighting types is premature, if we can even assume that Bewear will be in them. Prior to XY we also thought Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lopunny would be in UU or lower, and that Hawlucha would struggle to make UU. We also had a lot of people spruiking Gourgeist for OU. Look how that turned out.

Soft resetting for events is not fun. AT. ALL.

I think breeding non shiny 5 IV mons would still be faster and more convenient BUT now my Hasty Hoopa with 27 SpAtk is gonna shine YAS!.

I RNGed mostly everything on 4th gen and 5th gen so Im mostly excited about 6th gen exclusives that will now be more easily accessible to get perfect. I can also see now a window where a legit Impish HA Garchomp with Endure can be obtained if only someone caught one with the right nature

Small correction: Bewear has 4 weaknesses (excluding fire), not 3 - fairy, psychic, fighting, flying.

With that said, tier placement discussion is really, really premature. We have zero indication about the BSTs of any of the new Pokemon concerned or their movesets, or what new moves, abilities, and items the game is going to introduce, or what (if any) changes will be made to existing ones. We also don't know what other Pokemon, with what other abilities, are going to be released. I think assuming that the lower tiers will have a lot of fire and fighting types is premature, if we can even assume that Bewear will be in them. Prior to XY we also thought Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Lopunny would be in UU or lower, and that Hawlucha would struggle to make UU. We also had a lot of people spruiking Gourgeist for OU. Look how that turned out.
I remember thinking Mega Salamence wouldn't be that great.

It's interesting seeing the competitive discussion, especially from people who are more experienced than me. All I'm gonna say is that pokemon has surprised us before, both in good ways and bad. While the abilities and typing of some of these pokemon seem useful, they could be completely screwed over by poor movepools or stats.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Erp, to those who read my post when it was messed up, sorry about that. Put the wrong tags where they didn't belong and the posting system "auto-corrected". BUT I fixed it now so if you want to read it it's as I intended it. Once again, sorry for the messed up post. Some comments:

6 Number Lottery: I would feel... anything if it wasn't for the fact I never won anything that good from the lottery except maybe a few vitamins. Also it's not like I already didn't use my Master Ball, don't need a second on in my bag collecting dust waiting for a difficult Shiny to appear out of the blue.

Hidden Power Change: Well this doesn't really change anything for Hidden Power except now a Pokemon's Hidden Power will be changing type as you use bottle caps on it. Still I agree that they should disconnect Hidden Power with IVs and just let you choose what type you want it to be (which would also let Hidden Power Fairy be a thing).

IVs Justified: I'm okay with IVs as I feel they're sort of their for the competitive players. IVs is what separates a competitive player from a casual, if they didn't exist then the post game area would possibly be dull and give players not a reason to come back and play. But if the Pokemon had a hidden mechanic which made their strength differ from each other and you need to have the best of the best Pokemon to compete, well that's a different story and brings out a more competitive side to Pokemon. So IVs are a good idea, what wasn't thought out clearly was the way to increase IVs. There should have been a way to increase an individual Pokemon IVs a while ago, having to breed hundreds/thousands of eggs, while a legitimate way for those looking for a certain nature and Egg Move (and having a Shiny), might bring players out of the experience because now they're purposely playing with game mechanics and know it (instead of immersing themselves in the game and pretending their on a "real" adventure).
Also one aspect of Pokemon is creating a strong bond with your Pokemon and that message gets a bit muddled when you box your story team as they aren't "competitive" and you breed this new Pokemon you have little connection with aside you spent who knows how many hours getting it.

Hyper James: So since Bottle Caps raise IVs, does that make James potentially the most powerful trainer in the anime. :P

I just realized something: Hyper Training can be used to make Breeding easier than ever directly. You can get some good IV Ditto of various natures from the Friend Safari, then grind up to level 100 in ORAS, transfer them to Sun and Moon, Hyper Train them, and boom, easy breeding. And you can could theoretically engineer specific HP Dittos.
Guys, this makes me more likely to try using Hidden Power and I never use Hidden Power. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS.
I hate it when people complain that GF is making these games too easy when they put some sort of accessibility. Not everyone wants to RNG and soft reset for the right IVs man get over it.
Agreed. It's amazing how when confronted with a time saver, some people just get angry.
...and you breed this new Pokemon you have little connection with aside you spent who knows how many hours getting it.
Am I the only one who gets more attached to a Pokémon I breed since I was the first thing it ever saw and we get that special bond? I've been thinking that since before I got into competitive play! It's why I breed my entire team.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Am I the only one who gets more attached to a Pokémon I breed since I was the first thing it ever saw and we get that special bond? I've been thinking that since before I got into competitive play! It's why I breed my entire team.
Hey if that's how you feel that's fine, I can understand that. Though I myself grow more attached to the team I had an adventure of saving the world and becoming Champion with then one bred just to beat a Battle Facility.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I seem to recall that there was a small amount of "outrage" when the Destiny Knot mechanics were revealed - you no longer had to learn the noble art of RNG manipulation to get semi-perfect IVs! Now any casual players could invest a few hours and a few dozen slots of Box space and get a perfectly-IV'd Pokémon! The change from RNG manipulation to Destiny Knot breeding changed IV-tuning from a hopeless/broken mechanic into a merely tedious one. And now they're removing the tedium too. This makes the art of IV manipulation so much more accessible, greatly reducing the entry treshold for things like VGC or the Battle Whatever. While also keeping most Pokémon unique, for all practical purposes.

I won't be missing having box upon box full of breeding rejects, intermediate-step-parents and other worthless 'mons staring at me with their big, beady eyes every time I browse my ingame PC. Well-meaning, cute creatures destined to be released, given away for scrap at the Wonder Trade, or remain in my PC boxes forever. A system which produces so many excess Pokémon, no better than junk, isn't quite in the spirit of the franchise. The amount of iterations you need to go through is greatly reduced with the new system, the dice won't have to be thrown as many times, and even almost-perfect breeding rejects can be acceptable. Right nature, right moves, right gender, lacks a few points in HP? No problem, fella, you're good enough. And no longer will you have to soft-reset hundreds of times to get decent legendaries. A half-dozen times to get the right nature, for old times' sake, but even without the endless chore of flying to the IV checker every time.

And as Vader_the_White said, getting a 6 IV Ditto will be trivial now. Getting 6 IV Ditto of every desirable Nature will be easy too. Those who like breeding just had their treshold lowered too.

Now for some speculation: It's specifically mentioned that the Japanese event Magearna will be holding a Silver Bottle Cap. It seems like there will be more types of Bottle Caps, then. If I may guess (this is teetering on the edge of what is allowed, but I find this plausible enough to try anyway):

Silver Bottle Cap = Raises the IV of one stat to 31. Moderately rare/expensive.
Gold Bottle Cap = Raises the IV of all stats to 31. Very rare/expensive.
Normal Bottle Cap = Raises the IV of one stat by 1, 5 or possibly even 10. Fairly common and easy to find/buy.

If I were to implement this system, I'd also have a "Black Bottle Cap" or a "Rusty Bottle Cap" or something to decrease IVs too, but you never know with Game Freak. It's also far from certain that the Silver Bottle Cap will be the second best one, in the Zelda series there are Silver Rupees but not Gold ones, for instance. Either way, I'm perceiving something like a Vitamins/Wings system, with several kinds of IV raising items, some cheap and ineffective, others expensive and effective. Hopefully, the former can be applied in bulk, unlike Wings which have to be applied one by one.

It may also be that the Bottle Caps, like Vitamins, are sorted by which stat they boost, in which Silver could be used for... Sp.Def, I guess? Either that, or any of the five others.

Disregarding Hyper Training for a moment, I think the Japanese trailer shows how Mimikyu's appearance changes after its Ability is activated: rather morbidly, the "neck" snaps and the head falls over to the side. We won't be seeing "True Mimikyu", then, but luckily the system allows for a great number of different costumes.

Disregarding Hyper Training for a moment, I think the Japanese trailer shows how Mimikyu's appearance changes after its Ability is activated: rather morbidly, the "neck" snaps and the head falls over to the side.
It's also shown in the regular trailer.

Although that part brings into question why all attacks only happen to hit the top half of the disguise.

It's also shown in the regular trailer.

Although that part brings into question why all attacks only happen to hit the top half of the disguise.
They clearly aimed for the head, which is kinda freaky when you think about it. But so is our good friend Mimikyu, so what do we expect?

The Age of Eugenics has ended. The world has passed into the Age of Retrovirus.

As someone who never actually cared about IVs this may be the thing that'll make me actually bother with them now. That the humble bottle cap is now a vector for a body-altering retrovirus is not lost on me.

Also, "Bewear" is a fucking stupid name.

General thoughts on the new Pokemon and features

Hyper Training: This is great, as it significantly lowers the bar for entering competitive Pokemon. The hours upon hours spent on breeding will be cut down tremendously with this and getting perfect IV legendaries is practically a non issue now. It also means that you can also use your in game team competitively now, which is pretty neat. I guess it lowers the satisfaction of breeding Perfect IV Pokemon, but its not like breeding for IVs is completely useless since it saves you Bottle caps (which may be a very rare or expensive item).

Wimpod: Its cry and typing really remind me of surkit. Despite this its design is pretty different from it and looks really great. Wimpod's ability, Wimp Out, while looking like an incredibly useful ability in-game, seems like a mixed bag in competitive battle since faster Pokemon can easily bring it down to half HP and force it out without it doing anything. Of course, this does have the benefit of allowing you to switch into a counter immediately, which is nice. Really interested to see how its ability interacts with SR and Spikes.

Bounsweet: This Pokemon's design looks like a Pokefusion between Hoppip and Cherim. Apart from that, Bounsweet generally seems very lacking compared to some of the other Pokemon revealed due to it lacking a unique ability or typing to set it apart from the crowd of other Grass-types. Doesn't help that its name is really bad either.

Comfey: I find this mon's concept and design fairly interesting. It ability to use priority healing mons and its typing seem like it will make it a pretty good defensive wall (or at the very least, an extremely annoying support mon).

Mudsdale: Not sure about how I feel about this mon. I really dislike its design and its typing is fairly generic too. Stamina seems like it has the potential to be an amazing ability however, especially against Skill Link mons.

Mimikyu: Really curious about how disguise works. If its a one time use in battle ability, then it seems like it would make Mimikyu a great emergency check to a lot of physical sweepers with Will-O-Wisp. If its an ability that reactivates once mimikyu switches out however, then it has the potential to be really broken against casual players, since you can use 2 mimikyu and repeatedly switch them out to prevent your opponent from doing anything.

Bewear: Its ability looks great. Having the damage done by physical moves means that it can get free BU boost against various physical attackers. Really hope it gets Drain Punch so it can run something like an assault vest set.

Other thoughts: Some of the new Pokemon names such as Bounsweet sound more like fan made names rather than actual Pokemon names.

I noticed how the Link battle Room and the Pokemon Menu interface changed their colors from blue to Green. I think this is pretty cool since it represents how alola is a more tropical and natural region than many of the previous Pokemon games.

Hyper Training doesn't seem like it will completely remove the need for IV breeding, it'll just make getting that almost-what-I-needed spitback good enough to keep (unless it's Quirky). Having to grind up to level 100 sounds like a pain in the ass anyway, so you just have to pick your poison. They've already made breeding a lot quicker, and hopefully with Hyper Training it just means a few dozen less level 1s occupying my bank.

When I first saw it, I assumed they wouldn't make it that easy (ie, Ability Capsule being difficult to get) but that Pikachu went from trash to perfect so. I wonder how common or rare bottle caps will be?

Also does this mean we have to start calling IVs "Individual Strengths"? Ha!

I've spent a ton of SR'ing this gen and I'm so excited for this change to IVs. Giving us 3 guaranteed 31's on legends was a good start but this is a great next step.
I know some people are upset because they feel their time was wasted but given that GF has been steadily making the competitive side of things more visible something like this was bound to happen.

I'm not convinced that Hyper Training will actually overwrite the IVs. Just imagine what could be done once you took the time to fully Hyper Train a Ditto, then give it a Destiny Knot, if the IVs actually were overwritten. It would probably take a long time to do that for a Ditto of each nature, but I think my point stands.

My personal suspicion is that Hyper Training involves an addend to the IVs, rather than changing the original variable. Even if the internal addend isn't limited by the IV it attaches to, the sum can't go past the IV31 limit. So if you fully Hyper Train a 4/30/12/28/31/16 critter, the coding for Hidden Power (if it's still coupled to IVs, come to think of it) and breeding will still see a 4/30/12/28/31/16 critter. It's only for in-battle calculations that a 31/31/31/31/31/31 is seen.

(So no, it's not actually eugenics. Not if my addend hypothesis is correct.)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm just going to say it. I don't think that Hyper Training will replace the need for 5IV breeding.

If Bottle Caps cost 200BP, then it will be quicker to breed for the IVs. You'll need the Bottle Caps for Legendaries, Shinies, that one Ditto you'll use for breeding, (Unless SkyknightMu's theory is correct) Pokemon that are important to you, and nothing else. With a 6 IV Ditto, breeding is easy and quick enough that you shouldn't try to get Bottle Caps for every Pokemon. Even if the Caps are easy to get, I know I'll just save them for those that need it.

As a funny side effect, if Hyper Training always raises every IV to 31, then Near Perfect Shiny/Legendary Pokemon will become more like trophies than Truly Perfect ones, because it shows that you didn't use a Bottle Cap on it. Because of this, I don't think I'll "fix" my 31/31/27/31/31/31 Adamant Shiny Blaziken. My Shiny Altaria with an Attack IV of 2 on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)